Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Pasta salad--NOT a diet question...

mudbugs
06-02-2006, 12:48 PM
We are having a barbecue tomorrow--10 people. I am making pasta salad--you know the kind with the tricolor pasta, cut up vegetables, a bottle of (lite) Italian dressing and then you mix it all up with Salad Supreme seasoning.

OK--my question is....can I make this today, stick it in the refrigerator and serve it tomorrow? Or do you think it will be a big gummy mess by then? It would be easier to do this today than tomorrow when I have 4 (all under age 5) grandkids underfoot!:dizzy:

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I need an answer quick so I can get started and this is the best place to get a quick answer! HELP!

mandalinn82
06-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Well, ideally you'd dress it tomorrow. But you should hve moderately ungummy results by dressing the salad only after the pasta/veggies are ICE COLD. Hot pasta soaks up dressing like a sponge, ensuring a sloppy mess.

Ophelia924
06-02-2006, 12:58 PM
I never had a problem with pasta salad getting gummy however it can at times seem dry because the pasta soaks up the dressing. I often put my dressing on the day it is made and let the pasta absorb the flavors, then add olive oil and red wine vinegar the day it is served.

mudbugs
06-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Oh thank you--so I can at least cook the pasta and mix it up with the veggies (except the tomatoes--I will wait til tomorrow for them)...and I can just stick that in the fridge and put the dressing and salad supreme on it tomorrow. GREAT...Sounds like a PLAN! Thank you!