Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-02-2006, 01:32 AM   #1  

Default It takes two baby...........

Yes I am singing this morning!!! How many of you exercise with your partners??? I am living with a stranger at the moment, we just never see each other, and I have suggested he come to the gym with me.

He's never stepped in one before. Our gym is pretty cool, as the age range is very broad (I'm 33 - um for one more day!!) and he's 54 (for two more weeks!)

He has a medical problem, where one arm is shorter than the other, and weaker. So I suggested he just cardio with me (and then I'll sneakily get the trainer I use to design him a modified program)

I'm being completely selfish. I feel jealous of the couples in my gym, who can have a natter on the eliptical, and can encourage each other, and I want that for us.

I've suggested that I buy him a one off gift pass, and he just comes the once, and then if he hates it, end of story I never nag him about it again, what do you gals (and guys) think.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:03 AM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

Go for it Kykaree! My DH and I used to get to the gym (from different places) at the same time a lot. Lately not as much. But it was nice to have some one to chatter at on the next machine, or while lifting. Hope he likes it.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:59 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

That sounds like a good idea! Might stop him moaning about not seeing you
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

i don't think you're being selfish at all! if he develops a gym habit, it can only help him.

it's fun to exercise with your partner. my husband and i go running when we can or at least walking almost daily. it's a good time for us to catch up about our days. he also enjoys sprinting at the end of our runs, and has started challenging me to do it as well-- a little extra push from him is an added benefit.

hopefully, if he gets into a gym routine, you two will reinforce your good habits.
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:05 AM   #5  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I think it's a great idea! Not selfish at all. DH and I met at a gym...about 9 years ago. When we worked on the same hospital campus, we worked out together very often at the fitness center there. We'd work out and then go out! Anyhoo, now that I don't work outside of the home anymore, I go to the gym at various times during the day, and he mostly goes in the evening. We go together on Saturday mornings and it's always fun to get a little competition going. Who knows, maybe your SO will just love the environment once he goes!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:11 AM   #6  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I agree with the other ladies. Hub and I are doing this together. I think it makes it easier to have someone to go through it with you.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'7

Good luck with it! I've had varying degrees of success with it. I tried working out with hubby about 3 yrs ago, he made me mad, pushed me too hard and I totally quit. Got fatter. Recently, we have worked out together and he didn't push me at all, unless he knew I was just really being a lazy brat (I'm great at that) and he'd up the weights some, or tell me to push a few more crunches out even though I was whining.

My husband is in MUCH better shape than I am. He's military, so he has mandatory workouts, as well as voluntarily going to the gym. We can't jog together (he can run steadily for forever, I'm lucky if I can run for 2 minutes without falling out), and we can't ride bikes together. His legs are stronger and his cardio system is in better shape...he leaves me, I get mad, I curse, and I yell...we argue. Not a good workout system!

All that to say...hope it works better for you than it has for me! LOL. If you're on the same fitness level, it could work out AWESOMELY for the two of you to progress together! Specially if you rarely see each other.

Sometimes I feel like my husband is a stay at home husband...lol. We don't have the problem of never seeing each other.

Kim
OneKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:29 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 188/173/140

Height: 5'8

Kim I am like you. My DH is a marathon runner and is wonderfully in shape and very suportive of me(which is wonderful and greatly appreciated!). BUT when we *tried* to run once together (I was fine the first mile or two as I had done track in hs a million years ago) BUT once he turned around and started running backwards to be able to give me tips on my form and such it pushed me over the edge. I am found that i am too competive to run with him. So that was that. I have doen a coulpe of races with him where the men run first then teh women and then he will always run back to meet me and thats great but not for ongoing training.
However, on days that he cross trains we will walk to the gym together and i will go into one of my classes or to the elliptical and he will go into the weight room.
I find that where it can be a good bonding activity for some couples, i think of it as more me time. but then when i am through we either walk back togeher or i get a sweaty kiss from him and go home without him- which also lets me get the shower first
crownshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'7

Understood crown! My hubby is supportive as well, and I've figured out that's where it needs to be! He is there when I get home from rides or walks to ask about how far and how fast I went and then give me a 'great job baby! Need a massage or anything?' Men are just so different...or maybe just the fit/unfit thing is so different...lol.

I, too, have taken my exercise as me time. I'd love a partner sometimes, but not all...I can zone out and let my mind wander, think through a problem, whatever....

Nice to have time alone when you're a stay at home mother of 3 and wife. Let's me be Kim for awhile, instead of mom and wife.

Kim
OneKim is offline   Reply With Quote