Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-01-2006, 03:30 PM   #1  

Default Zoloft

Hi...anybody on Zoloft? Has it affected your weight?

I am currently on Zoloft even though I'm pregnant. I was in a bad, bad way. I've actually had clinical depression since the age of approximately seven, not diagnosed until my 20s (and am currently almost 39). So I went the lowest clinical dose during this pregnancy and cut even that in half. Paranoia...Anyway...so that puts me at 25 mg/day.

Obviously I'm prone to PPD, so my doc is anticipating that I'll at least need to go up to the lowest clinical dose of 50mg after the baby comes. He's due next week.

When I first went on Zoloft, in 2004, I gained 20 lbs. That was 100mg, though.

Has anyone here been on this AD but managed to maintain her weight/lose weight?
MyThreeTots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #2  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

I was on zoloft for about ten years and it worked wonders for my anxiety and depression, sadly it stopped working and I'm on lexapro.
I gained some weight on zoloft but I blame myself. I felt so good and so social that I ate. I think it did give me some cravings for sweets thou.
I think if you stick to a plan and stay on the med you will lose weight.
good luck
and let us know how the baby is!!
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #3  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

This question has been asked a few times. I've lost about ten pounds while on Zoloft. I find it easier not to binge. I'm male, if that's relevant.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #4  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

(I've been at both 50 mg and 100 mg with no problems gaining weight.)
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:41 PM   #5  

MyThreeTots,

No, haven't been able to maintain my weight. I started on Zoloft (50mg) right after the birth of my son. Had PPD pretty bad so it was increased to 100 mg. While breastfeeding, I lost weight. Didn't want to eat and hated the idea of it. I was still new to Zoloft so I don't think it had taken affect yet. I was very depressed. After I stopped breastfeeding, I noticed the weight coming on but I expected this and figured, I'll get it off again. Then several months later I noticed I had a very nonchalant attitude towards everything. The house wasn't clean (it was always clean before), I had gained noticeable weight and my looks were going down the toilet. Wasn't taking care of myself. I desperately want to get off the zoloft because I feel like this is whats making my attitude so laid back. I need to get excited about eating healthy or exercising (whats that?). Haven't exercised since giving birth and that was a year ago on May 31st. I can totally relate to what you're going through. I will be seeing a psychiatrist on the 15th and hope he doesn't just try to treat the symptoms. I hope he gets to the bottom of whats going on. This is my first time. Does it depend on who you get? Also, all of this could be caused by having a baby and getting through the first year. I'm so confused!
maggiemae1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/205/180

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I am currently taking 50mg of Zoloft and have actually lost weight. But, I am also taking Topamax which causes loss of appetite, so that may be the cause. I have noticed that I am VERY laid back with this medicine..not caring about much of anything, which has been a Godsend considering that I'm the world's biggest people pleaser But, no probs with weight gain but beware...it is a side effect of this medication!!!
meikajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/209/150

Height: 5'6

Ack _ i was just put on Zoloft and being overwt was one of my biggest complaints why would my Dr. put me on this knowing I could gain wt?

I did go and read pfizer info on Zoloft and they have in bold letters that it will not cause wt gain ---I guess time will tell!

Pam
pmteub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 232 just getting started on it

I actually lost weight when I began Zoloft, but I think it was because I went from down and out to happy and motivated and I was only on 25mg. I too have been taking meds for years and that was the only one that didn't cause me to gain. I am 31 now and I haven't been on meds in 2 1/2 yrs now but the depressiopn and anxiety are returning so I am hoping that with a slower metabalism that the Zoloft will still be a good choice for me. Keep in mind that you are pregnant and you are supposed to gain weight and not to expect too much of yourself right away. It's hard to control your weight when you are trying to nourish a child too. Unfortunately I didn't find out I had any problems untill after I had my second baby. I wish I had know while I was pregnant and maybe I wouldn't be as big as I ma today if I could've mannaged my weight and depression at the same time.
not2fat2bpretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 232 just getting started on it

Wow sorry! I haven't had my coffee I see all kinds of typos LOL!
not2fat2bpretty is offline   Reply With Quote