Exercise! - June walking challenge

View Full Version : June walking challenge

ArtsyGirl
06-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Well, its June and I know Genesis is away so I thought I'd start the thread into the new month. We all have busy schedules at this time of year, but we need to continue to do healthy things for ourselves. So, big or small, post your walking goals, and then chat away to keep us all accountable.:o

ArtsyGirl
06-01-2006, 01:07 PM
My June walking goal is 75 miles. This is the same goal I surpassed last month, but I'll be away for a bit and not able to keep accurate count so I'll wait for another month to push my goal higher.;)

Michele L
06-01-2006, 08:16 PM
I started toward my goal of 75 miles this month! 2 mile WATP-Abs workout DONE!

Michele :wave:

olivia627
06-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Hello all! I tried to start running again, but was putting too much of a pounding on my knees. So, I started walking again and found that after 30 minutes/2 miles of brisk walking, I was getting as good a workout as when I was running! And I was actually sweating more! So, I'm a walker from now on.

My goal for June is 60 miles. I did my two miles this morning.

2/60

BTW, this isn't for just WATP is it? I do my miles outside around my block or on the track. But I'd still love to be a part of this June challenge!

macdeez
06-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey girls,

I've decided to set my goal at 75mi for the month - and walked 7 yesterday. I might get 4 in today... we'll have to see.

Good luck to all of you on your monthly goals, I have no doubt you will each see success! Keep up the great work!

~mel

GenreGirl
06-02-2006, 09:49 PM
My goal this month is 44 miles. So far I've walked 3.6. I need to find better shoes, one pair gives me blisters on my heels & the other pair hurts my arches. :p

ArtsyGirl
06-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Hi girls-

Sounds like a lot of us have the same goal. Pretty cool. I do my walking outside with a neighbor every morning (1 day off a week). We walk a 4 mile route, and throw in some running 2 times a week. It was beautiful out this morning. We went 5 miles. I have Relay for Life this evening, so I'll rack up some more miles with that.

GenreGirl-I'm not sure how fast you walk, but the shoe guys always put me in running shoes because I'm on the fast walking end. Hope you find some good ones to make your walking more comfy.

Olivia-definetly for ALL walkers-indoors or out. I prefer out, but sometimes need to jump on a treadmill due to weather. Glad you're in for the month

Mel and Michelle -Great goal!! I'm right there with you!!

I'm up to just over 10 so far! Lets get moving!!!!

Michele L
06-03-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm at 6 miles so far! Hope everyone is doing well!

macdeez
06-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Only on long enough to post miles - 4 today. Brings my total up to 11 thus far. :) WI went very well today... I achieved my GW... and exceeded it by an additional two lbs! FINALLY! Now on to maintaining....

Hope you all are having a wonderful weekend! Keep up the great work, ladies!

~mel

ArtsyGirl
06-04-2006, 07:37 PM
:balloons: :bravo: :balloons:

Congrats on reaching goal Macdeez!!!!

I'm sure you're feeling wonderful and you've definetly earned it! Maybe we can help each other out with the maintaining. I'm not doing so great with that at the moment.:o Maybe you can teach me. My measurements are staying the same, but the scale seems to be creeping up:mad:.

Hope you all have a terrific evening. I have a late softball game. I hope I get some energy before then because its been a very rough day.

idest
06-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Can I join you? :-)

My goal for June is 75 miles. I did 6 over the weekend.

I'm doing the Avon breast Cancer Walk in October, and I've been putting off training for it (been counting calories since January and that was about all I could handle). I want to get to where I can comfortably walk 15 miles in one session by the end of July and then start walking 15+ miles on two consecutive days. If I can do that I ought to be able to deal with the Avon Walk... AND maybe get that last 10 pounds off!

6/75

ArtsyGirl
06-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Welcome idest!

I participate on the crew of the Breast Cancer 3 day here in Michigan (walked 1 year, and this is the 2nd year I'll be crewing.) I always love meeting fellow walkers from such events. If Genesis ever gets back from Seattle, she's walking the 3-day in Florida this year.

I did 4 miles this morning but included a 13 minute run in that total. At the moment I'm running such short distances I'm just including it in my walking total. Hopefully I'll reach a point where I'm going far enough to track them both seperatly.

idest
06-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the welcome, ArtsyGirl!

If you have any good tips for training for the Breast Cancer Walk (I'm doing two days... 26 miles the first day and 10 miles the second day), let me know! This will be my first time and I'm terrible about exercise (to the point that I actually didn't own any shoes for it and had to go buy some!), so I'm a little concerned that I won't make it through the first day.

Michele L
06-05-2006, 05:55 PM
I've done 10 miles so far this month! I need to pick up the pace a bit if I'm going to reach 75 miles by the 30th!

Happy Walking!

Genesis
06-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks AG for starting the new thread!!! It's nice to see everybody setting new goals for June.

I'm back in town and feeling better. I got terribly sick about 1.5 weeks ago and am just now starting to feel better. Needless to say, my walking the past week hasn't been...well...hasn't been at all!!! So I'm setting the alarm tomorrow morning and pounding the pavement before the heat index creeps up too high. One of the downfalls of life in FL....HOT and HUMID weather!

I beat my May goal - yay! Now my June goal is 77 miles.

macdeez
06-05-2006, 10:35 PM
That's great that a few of you are walking for breast cancer, I plan to do so in October as well.

ArtsyGirl... Yup, I sure am feeling *SO* good about reaching goal. It took a year and a half... up and down... but I perservered. As we do. I'm beginning to think that maintaining is the hard part though. I guess we'll see. I'm definitely up to helping each other out with that though. Good work getting 13mins worth of running in! That's 13mins more than I could do!

idest... Welcome! And good luck in your training!

Michelle... Congrats on the 10mi thus far! Keep up the great work!

Genesis... Sorry to hear you were under the weather! Good work getting right back to your walking!

As for me, I managed to get another 4mi in today so I'm up to 15 and will be racking up at least another 4 tomorrow.

Anyways girls, I gotta run. Take care and best wishes.

~mel

hoosiermomto3
06-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Can I join in as well? I've walked 12 miles so far in June and hope to hit 80 miles this month. I've gone over that the past couple of months, so hopefully I can work it in again this month. I do WATP a lot, but also do walking outside so I can mix it up a bit or get in more than one exercise session a day if I'm lucky :)

GenreGirl
06-06-2006, 02:22 PM
DH & I walked up a huge, steep hill (2.3 miles round trip) last night- I swear it doesn't seem all that long when you drive it. ;) I think I've fixed the blister problem with another insert & some moleskin for my heels. We'll see. So far so good!

So far this month I've walked 6.1 miles & I've 37.9 to go.

hoosiermomto3
06-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Walked 3.37 miles at the walking path at the hospital again while oldest DS was at football camp. Brings the month's total to 15.37 miles, 67.63 miles to goal. I had hoped to get in 3.5 miles, but an older woman started walking the path and when I caught up to her she was nice enough to chat a bit and I hated to just be rude and leave her in the dust. LOL She began telling me that she was having a hard time getting back into walking so I just kind of stayed at her pace and talked with her a while about exercising and such. It was a nice chat and I felt like it helped her a bit :) So, not quite as far as I wanted to go, but I did a good deed for the day:cool:

Michele L
06-06-2006, 05:33 PM
I did the 3 mile belt workout from the 5 mile WATP DVD today. I LOVE the fast pace of that one! 13 miles DONE!!

macdeez
06-07-2006, 03:27 AM
Hey girls,

Only on long enough to post my miles - 7 more today - brings me up to 22 so far. Almost 1/3 of the way there.

Hope you all had a great day!

Type you later.

~mel

idest
06-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Walked 3.8 miles last night, bringing me up to 9.8. I think I need to get moving!

ArtsyGirl
06-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Hi gals,

I did 4 yesterday and another 4 this morning. (This mornings included a 13 min. run) I have a cold bordering on a sinus infection and almost turned around at the first mile, but am SO glad I stuck it out because I feel terrific now. I passed my 25 mile mark!!! This week of walking has been nice and the weather has been terrific. I'm scheduled for an off day tomorrow, but may go out anyways because it really is helping to break up the congestion every morning.

Well, have a great day, and keep on walking.

GenreGirl
06-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Total miles pledged for June- 44
Total miles walked so far- 8.6
Miles to go- 35.4
Miles walked 6/6- 2.5

Genesis
06-07-2006, 03:57 PM
ArtsyGirl - I, too, am recovering froma cold and have a border line sinus infection. The walks DO make a difference! This is probably an over-share, but yesterday in the shower after my walk I *ahem* cleared a lot of gunk out!

I got in 4.5 miles yesterday, and hope to do another 4 to 5 miles later today. Or, maybe I'll cross train later on, I'm not sure yet. I'd better step it up, though. I'm at a measly 8.5 miles for the month of June.

Good luck everybody!

June goal - 77 miles
Walked so far - 8.5
Miles to go - 68.5

Michele L
06-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Yesterday I added the 1 mile Super Challenge and today I did Walk and Jog.

16.5 miles DONE!!!

hoosiermomto3
06-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Got in a 3.06 mile walk around the pond at the hospital near oldest DSs football camp again today. I have a major blister on my foot :( Wanted to walk longer but guess I can't complain. 18.43 miles done.

macdeez
06-08-2006, 01:01 AM
I only managed to get 2mi in today... but I did pilates as well so I'm ok with it. ;)

Sounds like everyone is doing a great job racking up the miles! Way to go, girls! Keep up the fantastic work! :cp:

Hope you all had a great day! :)

~mel

Michele L
06-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Yesterday was Walk & Jog and today I did the 2 mile with 2 pound weights!

18.5 miles DONE!

ArtsyGirl
06-08-2006, 01:00 PM
:carrot: WAY TO GO GIRLS!!!:carrot:

Everyone is doing so well working toward their goal! Keep it up. I think I'm going to go out for a walk later this evening while hubby is golfing. My ankle is a little sore from last nights softball game so it depends how that feels. (I need to baby it so I can do my long run in the morning!)

Have a great day everyone!

Michele L
06-08-2006, 01:10 PM
I had some frustration to burn off (tween daughter), so I hopped on the treadmill and did 1.5 miles in 25 minutes. I feel a bit better now.

A bit later.......

DD and I went for a walk on a local track for an hour. We talked about all kinds of things and now we're in a much better place!

DewCan
06-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Hi
Can I join in late. I know I dropped out two thirds of the way through May, sorry. I have some patheitc reasons.
My goal for June is 30 miles. AVerage 1 mile per day. I've really gone down in my time walking, but I'm jsut tired of wearing the snugli and pushing hte stroller. I'm oign ot talk to my DH and try to get some alone time for walking.
Thanks,

ArtsyGirl
06-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Welcome back Diana! 30 miles with hauling kids along should count for 90 without!!

I am not getting my walk in tonight due to my ankle. I've had it on ice for about 2 hours off and on, but its still hurting me. It is a beautiful evening, and I really have a lot of tension that a walk would help dissipate, but I promised my hubby I'd lay off today.

My pastor called this afternoon, and a friend who has been ill passed away. I have to play the organ for his funeral on Monday. I'm not sure I'll be composed enough to do this, but it is my job, and I guess these funerals are starting to hit home. (1 other in the congregation has Hospice in, and that one will be just as tough) It has been an emotional week with the one who is in hospice now, just finding out about her terminal cancer late last week, and now it doesn't look like it'll be to long she'll be able to hold on. The guy who just passed was in rehab, but was improving I thought, so a little bit of a shock.

I'm not having the best night with all the saddness, ankle pain, and I still have a terrible sinus infection. I'm sorry for the bummer of a post, but needed to vent to someone, and you guys are always here. Thanks.

I hope you all have a good night.

macdeez
06-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Artsygirl, I'm very sorry about everything that is going on! :hug: Just know that we're here to listen... ok? Take care and best wishes. :)

Dewcan, I agree with Artsygirl, 30mi with children-in-tow is fantastic! Way to go! :) Good luck!

Michelle, good work getting your miles in today! And I'm glad to hear that things are better with your daughter. :)

Everyone else, hope you're all keeping well! :)

As for me, I managed to get 5mi in today. Really had to force myself to get the first 3 in though. I think those are the kind I'm most proud of -- the exercising-even-when-you-don't-want-to sort. Nothing else to report from this end, had a pretty quiet day otherwise.

Hope you all have a good evening. Take care.

~mel

GenreGirl
06-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Yesterday's numbers- 2 miles; total for June 10.6. So far so good. Jogged .25 mile at the end, but decided to count it toward the walking goal. I'm not a jogger by a long shot, although I hope to become one (eventually).

idest
06-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Up to 13 miles for the month. I'm going to try to get some long walks in over the weekend...

Genesis
06-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Mel, Glad to hear you're walking for breast cancer, too. Sometimes that is the only reason I can think of to put on my shoes and drag my butt out the door!

I did 5 miles yesterday and thought I was going to DIE. It was 90 degrees with humidity and the route I walk has zero shade with blacktop that radiates the heat back at you. I know I have to train in hot conditions because that is exactly what I'll be facing during the actual 60 mile walk...but DAMN it sucks!!! I travel to Seattle a lot for work and when I go on walks in Seattle it is soooo much nicer than Florida. I can do 5 miles in Seattle without even breaking a sweat. But in Florida, by the time I get back to the house I'm verging on heat exhaustion and my face could easily be mistaken for an over-ripe beefsteak tomato with a severe sweating problem. At this point I really don't know how I'll handle a 15 mile training walk in weather like this. But, I'll keep at it and maybe I'll get used to it.

June goal - 77 miles
Walked so far - 13.5
Miles to go - 63.5

macdeez
06-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Just on long enough to post my miles for today... another 4. Hoping to get at least another 4 in tomorrow before I have to take DD to a birthday party. We shall see.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! :)

~mel

GenreGirl
06-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Hmm. Walked 3.25 miles Friday morning. Total for June (so far) 13.8 miles, only 30.2 to go!

macdeez
06-10-2006, 09:59 PM
No miles today... well, I might still find the energy to get a WATP DVD in. The party was great, pooped both DD and I out. :) Strayed a bit from the diet-aspect of this whole thing, but it's the first time in like three weeks, so whatever. Back to maintaining tomorrow. :)

How'd everyone else do today? Any more miles to speak of?

~mel

idest
06-11-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm up to 15 miles. I've started the coolrunning couch to 5 K program, but as most of my time is spent walking I'm counting these sessions toward my goal. Man, am I not a runner! Ouch!

hoosiermomto3
06-11-2006, 04:48 PM
It's been a few days since I've posted. I'm at 25 3/4 miles walked this month. Hope to be back with the WATP videos this week and maybe some outdoor evening walks if I have time and get that total moving a bit faster.

Genesis
06-11-2006, 06:01 PM
June goal - 77 miles
Walked so far - 19
Miles to go - 58

I need to break out the treadmill. I moved in February and haven't used my treadmill since we moved...haven't even set it up yet. Training in the summer heat is something I need to do, but I find it too easy to put off walking due to severe weather (either too hot, too humid, thunder storms, etc.). I think if I split my training between outdoor walking and treadmill walking, I'll rack up the miles quicker. Maybe that will be my goal for tonight...get the treadmill set up!

Michele L
06-11-2006, 06:51 PM
I did the 2 mile WATP abs workout today. That makes my total 27 miles this month!

idest
06-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Walked/ran (mostly walked) five miles.

Goal: 75 miles
Accomplished: 20

macdeez
06-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Hey girls, glad to hear that you're all doing so wonderfully with your goals! Great work! Keep it up! :carrot:

As for me, didn't get any exercise in yesterday, but did 2mi today and will do a 2mi WATP DVD tonight. Promise. :) Went shopping today for some cute summer clothes... and I was brave enough to try on and purchase a new bathing suit. A tiny white bikini at that. Man alive, I think the last two piece I bought was when I was 14! Felt good though... and DH nearly went into meltdown! ;)

Everything else is good here. Weather has been quite stormy the last few days but I'm hoping things will improve for tomorrow so I can get out and get some more miles in.

Hope you're all having a great Sunday! Take care and best wishes.

~mel

Siena1383
06-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi, all~

I thought I'd posted a walking goal for June, but maybe it was in another thread. I'm not up to the 75 miles you all are doing. I don't know that my goal can be in terms of mileage.

I started my diet one month ago (tomorrow), and was struggling to make it only 1 1/2 miles on hilly (but paved) terrain. Now, this isn't me -- I used to walk 3 miles/day without even thinking about it, and I'd do longer hikes regularly. But my weight is up, I'd stopped walking for several years, and I have some health problems.

So I grimly plodded as far as I could in May and before the end of the month managed to do 3 miles a couple times a week, 1 1/2 - 2 miles the rest of the time, with a day off each week.

It's hard on my ankles, lots of pain, so I don't want to increase the distance until more of my weight comes off. I also have a knee injury, so I haven't been able to speed up the slow plod. But my stamina is certainly better -- nowhere near as many pauses to catch my breath.

So my goal for the rest of June is to continue as I'm doing, hoping to up the speed once the knee heals.

Anyway, I did the 3 miles of hilly walking on Friday, another 3 miles at a track (to measure myself) on Satuday, and only 1 mile of the hilly stuff today (knee complaining loudly). Tomorrow after work is anyone's guess, but I'm hoping to do the 3 miles of hill walking.

Genesis
06-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Welcome Siena! Everybody here has different goals...we walk however much our bodies will allow and support each other in our efforts. 3 miles of hilly walking is hard work!!! Keep it up! ;)

ArtsyGirl
06-12-2006, 08:21 AM
3 miles of hilly walking is hard work!!! Keep it up! ;)

No kidding. Its as flat as can be here in southeast Michigan. If I even see a hill I start huffing and puffing.

Everyone is doing great aiming to reach their goals! Keep it up. I had a 15 min. run inserted into my walk this morning, and went the fastest I've done. 1.6 miles in 15:17! I'm pretty happy now.

Have a great day!

GenreGirl
06-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi everyone! We walked in the rain today. It was very quiet & peaceful & lots of animals were out along the road.Miles- 3.5Miles so far-17.3Miles to go- 26.7

hoosiermomto3
06-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Got a 2 mile WATP express in today before lifting weights. Total is at 27 3/4 miles.

Siena1383
06-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Genesis.

No kidding. Its as flat as can be here in southeast Michigan.
ArtsyGirl, I am from southeast Michigan (Oakland County), so I know what you mean!

And now for one of those questions that are kind of stupid and arise from insecurity. I've been sweating buckets when I walk. No kidding, I weigh myself before and after the walks, and those 3 miles ones take 3 pounds off me! And when I come home, I'm not dying for water. I drink some, then drink more over the course of the evening, but I hardly feel dehydrated. Okay, so. My knee got injured somehow and it was too sore to walk far yesterday, and today I can barely hobble across a room. (Doctor's appt. isn't till next week.) So I wasn't walking, and all of a sudden, I'm retaining water. My TOM finished up last week, so it's not that. I took a B vitamin yesterday, which flushes me out as it always does. This morning, I looked okay, but right now it looks like I've accumulated a few gallons of water in my legs, though I haven't drunk more than usual. What I'm wondering is (don't laugh -- I know this sounds stupid), could my body be adapting by storing the water in anticipation of those long walks? Only the humps are in my legs, not on my back like a camel's...

ArtsyGirl
06-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Good morning gals-

It was a beautiful morning for a walk today. Nice and crisp outside and lots of birds and bunnies. Got my 4 miles in taking me up to 45.5 for the month.

Sienna-I dont have any good advice re: retaining water. I sure hope your injury heals fast for you. I'm down in Monroe county, and believe it or not, we're flatter than you!

Great job ladies! Have a wonderful day.

idest
06-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Okay, just back from a nice 3.5 mile walk... and feeling virtuous, but... good grief, what day is this?! I'm not even halfway to goal and it's already the 13th!

Accomplished: 23.5

macdeez
06-13-2006, 02:14 PM
I tried posting a msg last night... :(

Walked 6mi yesterday (4 outdoors, 2 WATP) and did pilates as well. Exercise has been good recently, eating? Not so great. I'm really going to try to stay focused for the remainder of the month.

Does anyone else find it more difficult to stay OP on days where your DH is home from work? Being a SAHM, I can go the entire week eating right but the days hubby has off... whole 'nother ball game.

Exercise for today: at least 3mi. :)

~mel

DewCan
06-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Mel , I know what you mean. I can eat light when it's me and the kids, but have to cookd "real" food for DH. :lol:

Siena, there are no hills here either, I'm in awe of anything to do with hills. My DH goes biking and he finds some out there.

I'm at a lowly 4 miles but oh well. Better than zip I guess.

Diana

Genesis
06-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Siena - You didn't mention how much water you drink per day...I would recommend a minimum of 64 oz. If you're drinking less than that and exercising, you may be retaining water for that reason alone. It may seem counterintuitive, but not drinking enough water can lead to water retention and drinking more water helps your body flush out the excess fluids. However, I would definitely talk to your doctor about this.

June goal - 77 miles
Walked so far - 29
Miles to go - 48

Silly Alberto (tropical storm) has prevented me from walking outdoors....so I did 10 miles on my treadmill today....the most miles I've ever walked on my treadmill. In fact, when the time display got to 99 minutes, it just automatically shut down - which surprised the heck out of me! Here I was trucking along and BAM....it stopped! :) I found the 10 miles on the treadmill to be much more of a mental than a physical challenge. Physically I could have gone much longer than 10 miles, but mentally I was going a bit crazy! I watched Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon & American Beauty to pass the time.

GenreGirl
06-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Date- 6/13
Miles today- 3.8
Miles so far- 21.1
Miles to go- 22.9

macdeez
06-14-2006, 01:38 AM
Got the 3mi in I posted about earlier... and another 2. :)

Goal: 75
Walked: 48
Left: 27

Doubt I'll get more than 2mi in tomorrow, we'll have to see how the weather is. :)

Hope everyone is having a great week thus far! Take care, ladies, and keep up the fantastic work!

~mel

idest
06-14-2006, 07:29 AM
Last night I walked 3 miles and then this morning walked/ran (mostly walked) 2.5.

Accomplished: 29

Siena1383
06-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Those of you getting in your walking, GOOD FOR YOU! Keep on going! :carrot:

DewCan, I'll have to come and see your flatland for myself one day. I wouldn't say my part of PA is hillier than where I grew up or Alberta, but there are still slopes and whatnot. Not major mini-mountain type hills. Where I walk, the "hills" are slight inclines that go for quite a long way. I was dismissing the hilliness and chalking up my breathlessness to being out of shape at first. But I realized that even the athletic-looking walkers/runners/bikers were really puffing to get up them, so now I take them more seriously. And everyone here does call them hills. Definitely not level ground, anyway.

Knee seems better this morning, so I'm hoping to get in at least a short walk today.

ArtsyGirl
06-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi ladies-

I got another 4 miles in this morning so I'm at 49.5. I might go out later just so I can hit 50. Its supposed to start heating up and getting humid here again. I hate it when its 70 degrees when you leave at 6 am. Much nicer to walk when its in the 50's at that time.

DewCan
06-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Genesis, you had me laughing :lol: at your treadmill story. I was picturing it, did you stumble, that's just hilarious. How long did it take for you to go the 10 miles, that's just sooo far for one hike. I'm occasionally thinking of a treadmill. Once our basement gets done then I just might. Any tios on how to buy the right one?

Siena, If I go the the river that runs through this city, then there are hills too. I jsut don't go there as it's too far to go there ;) how silly.

Brandy, you're my absolute walking hero, you're at 50miles and it's only the 14th , you ar going to surpass your goal by far this month if you keep it up. You might even get past your stunning May numbers.

I jsut got back from a walk, it's very humid here today, I'm expecting it to Rumble any time soon. Had the snugli but a friend that I walk with pushed the stroller. It's nice to walk with her, the time goes so fast.

GenreGirl
06-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Walked what turned out to be a very hilly trail- 2 miles; miles so far-23.1; miles to go- 20.9!

hoosiermomto3
06-14-2006, 11:10 PM
Did a 4 mile WATP this am. Brings my total to 31 3/4 miles for the month.

hoosiermomto3
06-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Did a 3 mile WATP and then hopped on the treadmill for 1 1/4 mile. 36 miles for the month :)

idest
06-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Hi everyone... another 2 miles done.

Accomplished: 31

GenreGirl
06-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Date- 6/15

Miles- 4

Miles total- 27.1

Miles to go- 16.9

Genesis
06-15-2006, 03:22 PM
DewCan - I stumbled, but I didn't fall off, thank goodness! I walked at a 4 mile an hour pace, so it took me about 2.5 hours. I'm hoping to do another 10 miles this afternoon and another 10 on Sunday. I'm going to try to go 10 miles on my treadmill today and then I'm meeting my friend at a local park Sunday morning for an outdoor 10 mile walk.

If you're looking to buy a treadmill, my advice would be to not cheap-out and buy the least expensive model. Also, consider buying the extended warranty. I paid something like $150 for an extended warranty on mine and ended up using it to cover a $600 repair. I've gotten a lot of use out of my treadmill and I've had it for about 5 years now. I got a ProForm from Sears - this is essentially the model I have http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Fitness&pid=00638538000&vertical=FIT&subcat=Treadmills&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

I'm not trying to push ProForms - there are many other great brands out there like NordicTrack and Precor. Precor is probably the best. http://www.precor.com/cons/tre/927/

macdeez
06-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Didn't get any exercise in yesterday but have done 4mi today. Maybe more later.

Hope everyone is having a good day! :)

~mel

Genesis
06-15-2006, 06:23 PM
June goal - 77 miles
Walked so far - 35
Miles to go - 42

Due to time constraints, I was only able to get 6 miles in today...not the 10 I had planned. I'll try to make up for it tomorrow or Saturday.

DewCan
06-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Karen, Genregirl, Idest, Genesis, and Mel, you guys are doing great, keep walking!! Where are you hiding Brandy. Thanks for the links Genesis. I'll check into them. I'm at my measly 7 miles. Oh well.
Diana

ArtsyGirl
06-15-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm here!!! No walking today (Thursday my neighbor has a meeting, so its our day off) I did walk the extra .5 yesterday to even out my 50. I guess I should admit the walk was from my house to the bar and back after my softball game :o ! I'm scheduled for 4 miles bright and early (6 am!!) tomorrow.

I have officially signed up for my first 5K. It'll be on the 4th of July up in Ann Arbor. I'm pushing things as the longest I've run so far is 2.1 miles, so I need to add 1 mile to that for the race, but I'm sure I can do it. My training schedule only increases my time running by 2 minutes every week for my long run, and this was a recovery week, so I feel like I'm not progressing. I know this is not true, and I need to keep it easy for my ankle, but I'm sure I can run that race without to much trouble. Wish me luck.

Everyone is doing terrific. Its so nice to hear about everyone getting out there! It makes me smile to think that we're really changing ourselves in such a healthy manner. Have a great night.

macdeez
06-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Managed to get 8 mi in today! 56 down... 19 to go! :)

Sounds like everyone had a happy and healthy day! Keep up the great work, ladies! :bravo:

~mel

DewCan
06-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Wow Mel, 8 miles, that's a long walk. Sounds like fun. I'll do some long walks this weekend.

Brandy, how fantastic thatyou signed up for your first 5k. It's good that you have a goal that you'll have to push yourself for. Of course you'll be able to do it. Look at how much you have accomplished already!

I didn't walk yesterday and am so busy today I don't know if I'll fit it in. We'll have to see.

macdeez
06-17-2006, 12:42 AM
No milage to report today, I'm afraid... BUT, I did clean the house for three hours. So I'm counting that as my exercise. ;)

Tomorrow I'll be sure to get at least 2mi in... maybe more, we'll see. Taking DH out for an early Father's Day dinner (DD has her first ballet recital Sunday evening!). I promise to eat OP. :yes:

Hope everyone had a great day! :) Take care, ladies!

~mel

idest
06-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Only got in a pathetic 2 more miles last night and another 2 early this morning... Some of you superwomen are walking machines!

Accomplished: 35

macdeez
06-17-2006, 06:40 PM
idest, nothing pathetic at all about 2mi! And 35 in 17 days is great progress! :) Keep up the FANTASTIC work! :)

As for me, I got 2mi in this morning. That's probably all for today. DH will be home from work soon and then it's off for dinner after that. We might head out for a walk tomorrow before DD's dance recital. We'll have to see.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Best wishes, ladies! :)

~mel

Genesis
06-17-2006, 10:43 PM
June goal - 77 miles
Walked so far - 39
Miles to go - 38

OK, I'm officially 1/2 way to goal for the month. Finally! I've got a 10 mile-er lined up for tomorrow, so I should be at 49 miles by the end of the weekend. I will be on a business trip for the rest of the month (leave Monday, return July 2nd), so I will have to squeeze in the remaining 28 miles while on the road. I am determined to meet my goal and even made sure the hotel I'm staying in has a treadmill.

Good luck everybody...you're doing great!

Brandy - I did my 1st 5K on July 4th of 2005!!! It was a lot of fun and I even got my husband to run with me. He had done zero training, so I kicked his butt on race day, but I went back and joined him on the last 1/4 mile and ran through the finish line with him. Keep up with the training. The adrenaline of race-day will get you through the last mile!

idest
06-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, macdeez :)

I got another 3.5 in this morning as part of my run/walk day, so now I'm half-way to goal. Man, it's getting hot out there!

Genesis, it gets difficult with business travel, doesn't it? Good luck with squwwzing it all in!

Accomplished: 38.5

macdeez
06-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Well, so much for my promise for eating right. :( I had it all planned out and everything... then we got to the restaurant, and it went downhill from there. Sunday wasn't any better. Blech. I feel awful. The saying "you are what you eat" is so true. Oh well, no use fussing over spilled milk, just focus on what's ahead of me, right? :^:

Exercise was minimal over the weekend. But will make up for it today. At least 2mi and pilates.

DD's ballet recital was fantastic (she's 4), they all did a great job! Now she's wanting to do tap and ballet in the Fall. :D

Hope everyone else did better at staying OP than I did! Keep up the great work, ladies... only a week and a half left of June! :)

~mel

Genesis
06-19-2006, 07:37 PM
June goal - 77 miles
Walked so far - 45
Miles to go - 32

It POURED yesterday when my training partner and I went for our Sunday morning walk. Fortunately, I remembered to bring my green emergency rain poncho. 89 cents from Target's camping section....great idea, self (patting myself on the back). But the poncho only fell to my waist, so my lower half was soaking wet, including my shoes and socks. We managed to walk 6 miles in the downpour - were planning on 10 but I'll take a soaking wet 6. Then later that day after I dried out and changed clothes, I went back to Target and bought six more ponchos. :)

DewCan
06-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Good idea with the poncho, I got in 3.5 miles this weekend. So I'm at 13.5 out of 30.
Happy hockey tonight.
Diana

idest
06-20-2006, 08:57 AM
One mile yesterday and 3.8 this morning before startting walk/run intervals.

Accomplished: 43.3

hoosiermomto3
06-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Ugh, it's been a few days since I've posted. Life keeps getting in the way :) But at least I'm keeping up the workouts! :D

6/17 - 2 mile WATP
6/18 - 3 mile WATP w/ weights
6/19 - 3 mile WATP w/weights
6/20 - 2 mile WATP

Which brings my total for the month as of today (6/20) up to 46 miles. Not sure if I'm going to be able to hit that 80 mile mark this month or not :(

macdeez
06-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Got 4mi in yesterday and will try to do that again today. Might only get 2mi in though. Guess we'll see. :)

Hope everyone is having a great first day of summer! :sunny:

Take care, ladies!

~mel

hoosiermomto3
06-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Did a 4 mile WATP today. That pushes my miles to 50 for the month. Still way short of my 80 mile goal, but maybe I can work it all in.

pound4pound
06-21-2006, 10:43 PM
WOW! i'm really impressed! how do you ladies walk so many miles in a week? where can i get a mile counter at cheap! my husband and i are in the throws of starting our own business so money is crazy tight right now. i think i would like to get up 70 or 80 miles a week. right now though i think i'll start with 10 :)

idest
06-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Another 2.8 miles down.

pound4pound, I got a fairly inexpensive pedometer at a sports store... but you can also map out your walking route here (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/) and track the distance that way...

Getting the miles in isn't that difficult for me bacause I live in a big city-- so I walk everywhere except to work (currently commuting out to New Jersey) and the laundramat (no way I'm carrying those heavy bags half a mile!). That means I walk to Curves, walk to the grocery store (I've started shopping daily for perishable items while having staples delivered once a week by Fresh Direct), walk to a restaurant, etc. I also reserve three mornings a week for a serious walk/run. I get up early and walk two miles to the park, spend 20 minutes on the track doing walk/run intervals, and then walk the two miles home again.

Accomplished: 46

macdeez
06-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Hey... where is everybody? Out walking, I hope! ;)

Good job, idest, getting in those miles! Feels good, doesn't it? Keep up the great work! :carrot:

pound4pound, just a quick clarification: this is a monthly thread, not weekly, so we aren't walking 70-80mi per week. Man alive, I wish I had that kind of endurance. ;) Good for you for setting your weekly goal at 10mi, that's fantastic! Keep up the great work!

I didn't walk at all yesterday, but did manage to get 5mi in today. That brings me up to 69 total. I might do a couple more tonight, just to break the 70mi mark. :)

Off to DD's preschool graduation...!

Hope everyone's having a great day! Take care!

~mel

Genesis
06-23-2006, 01:24 AM
This is a quick post from the road. So far I'm managing to get my miles in even though I'm traveling for work. To recap this week...

Tuesday - 4 miles
Wednesday - 6 miles
Thursday - 6 miles

Here are the totals...

June goal - 77 miles
Walked so far - 61
Miles to go - 16

I think I just might make my goal for the month. Good luck everybody!

idest
06-23-2006, 09:58 AM
2.6 miles in last night and 3 in this morning as part of my walk/run routine.

Genesis, awesome that you're getting so many miles in while on a business trip!

Accomplished: 51.6

hoosiermomto3
06-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Did a 4 mile WATP this afternoon. Total for the month is 52 miles, Goal is 80 miles.

Siena1383
06-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Well, I'm out of the June walking challenge. I'll continue to walk as my knee condition permits, but it's getting worse, going out on me during just normal standing and walking, and I've had some scary news medically about it. Until I get more testing and make some progress with the prescribed physican therapy, I need to coddle it. Though on good days, I'll risk walking as far as I'm able.

Michele L
06-24-2006, 03:10 PM
I haven't posted in awhile, but I've been walking! I'm at 55 miles so far, with a goal of 75, so it's within reach!

Happy Walking!

idest
06-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Siena, I'll be thinking about you and hoping your knee responds well to the therapy.

For my report: I got a mile in yesterday and three miles in this morning as part of my run/walk routine.

Accomplished: 54.6

Michele L
06-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Update: I'm at 61 miles! I'm gonna make my goal!!!!:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Apolline
06-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Hey all - I just started a walking program and I wanted to join the thread!! Talk about last minute, but better late than never, right?;) I did 2 miles yesterday and 4 miles today. I guess I will make my June (whats left of it) goal 20 miles.:running:

GenreGirl
06-25-2006, 08:22 PM
We've been away visiting my parents for the week, but I managed to keep up with my plan (mostly, LOL).

Dates- June 18-22

Total miles that week- 16.7

Total miles June Chl.- 39.8

Miles to go June Chal.- 4.2

Genesis
06-26-2006, 02:27 AM
June goal - 77 miles
Walked so far - 68
Miles to go - 9

hoosiermomto3
06-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Got in a 2 mile WATP on Saturday and again today. I'm now at 60 miles by my calculations. Not gonna reach my 80 mile goal. Think now that I'm lifting weights as well as walking I'm going to have to rethink my goal next month. I don't do as long of a walk on the days I'm lifting.

ArtsyGirl
06-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Hi ladies,

I reached my goal this morning. I dont think I'll make my exercise minute goal, but at least I got one of them.

I had a nice rock climbing/white water rafting trip last week, and had to guesstimate, so I erred on the low side to make sure I didn't cheat myself.

Keep it up! You are all doing wonderful!

GenreGirl
06-26-2006, 08:30 PM
I walked another 3.5 miles in the rain today. So fa that makes 46.3 miles this month, 2.3 mile sbeyond my goal. YAY!!

Apolline
06-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Hey all - I did 2.5 miles today, and it is blazin' hot up here in the Pacific Northwest!! I have to say that I am loving every minute of it; I am actually suprised at how dry the heat is here...Anyway - I just wanted to post my progress!!! :carrot:

MichelleRae
06-27-2006, 12:38 AM
It's a little late for me to jump in on the June walking challenge but I'm making it a goal to walk at least 75 miles for July! Hope you don't mind me joining you!

ArtsyGirl
06-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Welcome Apoline and Michelle!!!

Walked 4 miles this morning in the hazy humid weather. I feel nasty, but accomplished.

Have a great day.

idest
06-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Another three miles in. Not sure I'll make my goal this month, sadly. Still, I'll keep walking, and there's always next month! :)

Accomplished: 58.6

GenreGirl
06-27-2006, 06:38 PM
We walked again today, even though it rained hard enough we thought we'd be washed away.

Date- 6/27

Miles- 2.8

Miles this month- 49.1

5.1 miles over my original pledge!!

ArtsyGirl
06-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Hi gals,

I added another 4 miles this morning. It was a much nicer morning than yesterday. Not nearly so humid! I included a 15 minute run at the fastest pace I've tracked so far.

My 5K is next week!!! I'm feeling a bit nervous about it, but I think I'll do ok. I ran 2.6 miles on Mon., and really think I could've kept going. My pace was slow, but thats ok. My goal for the race is NO WALKING. Beyond that I really don't care what my time is.

Great job on walking everyone!! Its truly amazing to see the miles rack up for everyone. Have a great day!

macdeez
06-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Been so busy the last few days... man alive. Summer events are in full swing... already. :dizzy:

A couple miles short of goal, but will finish up tonight. :) Yay! Very proud of the progress. :)

Sounds like everyone has done a great job this month! WTG, ladies! :)

Take care. Have a great day.

~mel

GenreGirl
06-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Date- 6/29

Miles- 2.4

Miles this month- 51.9

Genesis
06-30-2006, 12:29 AM
June goal - 77 miles
Walked so far - 78
Miles to go - 0

I made it! I pulled of a 10 mile walk after work and made goal for the month. Start setting your July goals, ladies!

Brandy, good luck with your 5k!!!

idest
06-30-2006, 08:41 AM
If only there were a few more days in the month! I'm off to Vermont for the weekend and will be doing a lot of hiking.

I'm going to try to get some more miles in this evening.

Accomplished: 65

ArtsyGirl
06-30-2006, 08:52 AM
I made my walking with a little extra, but missed my exercise minute goal. Oh well, hopefully July will work out better, and I'll reach both goals.

Walked 88 miles
Goal 75 miles

Gotta look at the calender sometime today and set my numbers for July. Hope you are all staying on for another month.

GenreGirl
06-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Date- 6/29

Miles-

GenreGirl
Date- 6/29

Miles- 3.5

Miles

GenreGirl
Date- 6/29