Exercise! - Cool Runners #3 - June 2006

View Full Version : Cool Runners #3 - June 2006

Ilene
06-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey Gang :wave:

June :eek: where, oh where is the time going?? This month my goal is to try to get some speed into my running, I must get faster! I have already started this week to do some HIIT training, along with hill intervals...I hope that will do it!

:coach: NEXT!

Stephanie Osborne
06-01-2006, 12:28 PM
I cannot believe it is already JUNE! I have about 5 weeks left of my program...although...there is a 5k at the end of June in my hometown so I may get high hopes and try to do it before I am done...OVERACHIEVER...haha.

srmb60
06-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Is it running if I only averaged 5 miles per hour?

Ilene
06-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Is it running if I only averaged 5 miles per hour?Abssolutely!! I rarely run faster than that... Susan in my book if you're going faster than a fast walk it's running :yes:

Sweater Girl
06-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Susan: Yes it is!!! We all run at different speeds, but unless I am racing, I average somewhere between 8-9KM per hour which is in the neighbourhood of 5 miles per hour!

Ilene, I saw in last month's thread that you did the 10K last weekend. How did you find it? A lot of people at work and I know through running participated, they wished they coralled the runners better and that there were more water stations. I went and saw my DF run the half marathon on Sunday... That weather was brutal, way too hot... I went in the shade and rested when I could.

right now.... still not running. I do plan on starting back in about 10 weeks!

Cheers!

Ali

Ilene
06-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Ilene, I saw in last month's thread that you did the 10K last weekend. How did you find it? A lot of people at work and I know through running participated, they wished they coralled the runners better and that there were more water stations. I went and saw my DF run the half marathon on Sunday... That weather was brutal, way too hot... I went in the shade and rested when I could.

Ali, yes I did run, I enjoyed the run and surprisingly being surounded by 4000 people didn't bother me. My time was horrible though 1:13 :faint: I did better in my very first race which was a 10k 2 years ago! But I will blame it on the heat and the race being held at 6:30PM. I was definitely tired after a full day of shopping and I do not do well in heat at the best of times. I also didn't sleep well the night before because of the excietment I guess ... YES there definitely could have been more water stations!! There was one at the 5k point and one at the 8k, I think it was... There should have been some at the very least every 2k... You say that your friends said that "they wished they coralled the runners better", I'm not sure what you mean :?: ... But all in all it was a great experience and I will definitely do it again next year but I will bring a water bottle ...

Sweater Girl
06-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Ilene: yeah I didn't think that came out right. A lot of major races will corall runners by their estimated race times. The MDS Nordion will make sure the elite level runners are at the start line, but that's about it. I did the Boilermaker in Utica NY last year and they made our bibs different colours based on our estimated times, it made the race work very well, the only bummer since I was at the back it took forever to cross the start line, but it was worth it!

As for water, Eek 5K? yuck, the last 10K I did had a water station about every 1.5KMs (it was a small race though) and that was great. I also did a 10K once with one water stop at 5K (and of course that was the race I forgot the water bottle).

Nobody I talked to had a personal best over the weekend at whatever race they were at so don't worry about it! You did well regardless and it's hard to race in heat when you're used to cooler weather.

Take care!

Ali

Ilene
06-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Here I am ( http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_photo.asp?EVENTID=10047&ID=24011933&FROM=photos&BIB=23237)in the Ottawa 10k race last weekend, I look fat :(

iowasteph2
06-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Guess what ladies---I ran my first race today!!! I'm so proud of myself! I ran a 5k in 31:19. I'm just happy that I finished, but I ended up 274 out of 1225. I had no clue what to expect of the whole event! Ali, I couldn't agree more with starting people according to their expected finish time. I thought I'd be one of the worst runners there, so I started toward the back. Little did I know that I would actually be passing people! Me? Passing people? There were big groups walking, and it seemed like they started way toward the front, and they travelled in herds, so it was so hard to pass them. Anyway, I just completed the Couch to 5k about a month ago. I'm very pleased with my first 5k. My goal time was 33 minutes. Yeah for running!!

iowasteph2
06-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Oh, and Ilene--you absolutely do not look fat!!!

greenrunner123
06-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Congrats on your first 5K and exceeding your time, Iowasteph!

Ilene- You do not look fat! You look so fit and strong and I think that is the greatest combination!

My shin splints are s-l-o-w-l-y healing so hopefully I will be back to my regular running schedule in a couple of weeks! Keep up the good work everyone!

Ilene
06-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Steph that's awesome time for your first 5k :high: ...

iowasteph2
06-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks so much!! I really had doubts on running the race. The thought of spending money to run somewhere just seemed silly to me! But...I'm glad I did it, and I'll surely run some more. Thanks again, and thanks for inspiring me!

YP1
06-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Steph, that's a fab time, well done!

It was my half today and it felt MUCH harder than my last one, even though half of it was exactly the same course. I was hoping to finish in around 1:50 and I was on track for that up to about 7 miles then I got a blister and my legs decided to give out on me. I managed to get back in 1:54 which is still just about a PB (a minute or so quicker than last time), but I wish I'd been able to carry on past half way. It was the hottest weather I've ever run in though (I didn't run outside last summer, and it's been the hottest weekend of the year so far here), and I've had a dodgy knee all week which can't have helped.

Not much running this week probably between recovering from that and preparing for a 10k on Sunday. Then that's probably my last race before the marathon in September. I like doing races, but they mess around with my schedule too much really and I want to go back to building up slowly and steadily rather than trying to fit long runs round race weekends.

And Ilene, you don't look fat ;)

srmb60
06-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Look at those little black shorts! That's not fat, my friend!

I did 1.8 km in 13 minutes this morning. I think I'll go mark off 2 kms just for good measure. A nice round number.

AnneWonders
06-05-2006, 11:41 PM
First off: Ilene, you do not look fat! You look amazing. Helen, another half! You are amazing. Steph, that is a great time for a 1st 5K! Woo, hoo! Ali, 4 weeks to go, where has the time gone? Hope you are feeling great. Greenrunner, take care of those shins. Run, SusanB, run! I'd kill for 5mph right now. Did I miss anybody? Such an amazing group of runners here.

OK, I did my tri this weekend. Olympic distance, that's 1.5K swim, 40K bike, 10K run. I was still sick, hacking and wheezing, and the race was at altitude, over 6000 ft, and it basically turned into a death march complete with hallucinations of snakes at one point. I couldn't run a step, except for vanity's sake at the finish line. But I did in fact finish it. Here are some pictures, and even though my time was really bad, I feel compelled to point out that it wasn't as bad as the clock would indicate. There was also a half-iron distance race on the same course that day.

Anne

P.S. Talk about looking fat! Those 15 sure do show.

Only Me
06-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Anne, Great job on the tri under less than ideal circumstances. I live at sea level or a very few metres above that. Just walking at over 6000 ft would probably tire me out.

Helen, congrats on the new pb, even if it wasn't quite as fast as you hoped. It'll just be all the easier to beat next time. (I know how you feel, a bad side stitch at about 16km added at least a minute to my time during my last half. It was so frustrating.)

Steph, great job on your first 5k!

Ilene, you so do not look fat in your pic!

I'm actually attempting to follow a training program for the marathon, and I have, gulp, speed work on the schedule for this afternoon. Hope I survive it.

YP1
06-06-2006, 03:17 PM
I had a good 4 mile easy run on the treadmill this morning which really got rid of the last of the soreness from my legs. I was only intending to struggle to 5k then realised that I was feeling better with every step I took so carried on for a bit.

My marathon schedule doesn't have speedwork on it, although I keep on feeling like I should do some anyway. But somehow I can never quite motivate myself ;)

WaterRat
06-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Ilene - you look like a runner! And certainly not fat. :)

Anne - great job on the tri, esp at 6000' :eek: We spent the last 2 weeks of April in S. Utah, most of the time above 5000' I got a killer headache the night we spent near 9000' and all of the hiking was more of an effort than here where we're at, oh about 30' above sea level! :lol:

AmberD
06-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Can I join the thread?

I'm very amazed with all of you and you're running! Congratulations on all the 5 and 10k's and the tri, it's truly impressive!

I'm not so much a runner as a wanna be runner. I signed up for a training program for a marathon in October, and over a month later I'm still sticking with it :) so I'm proud.

Only Me
06-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Well, the speed work just did not happen. It was 27C/80F without taking humidity into account out there and sunny. Which makes it by far the hottest day of the year so far. I was running just after noon. So just running was more than difficult enough for me. I ran about 11k total, but ended up doing a walk/run the last 3 since I do not do heat well at all. I think I'll try and get up early tomorrow morning and run then. If I'm feeling up to it, I'll get the speed work in then. I now remember why I used to get up about 5:30am to run last summer.

skinnyjeans
06-06-2006, 08:58 PM
OK. It is time I quit lurking and hold myself accountable by posting. I probably won't be a consistant poster since I will be really busy with work, but I promise to drop in from time to time. Your posts have been really motivational to read.

My running is going well and here it is...Your the first people I am telling (big committment)...I am going to run a Marathon in October. My training officially starts next week. Unfortunately due to work constraints I will HAVE to get up in the mornings which is my downfall. But I know I can do it. I planned some weekly rewards to help get me going in the beginning. I'm pretty excited and am going to start practicing by getting up this week for my runs.

Keep up the good work everyone!

SJ

Stephanie Osborne
06-07-2006, 01:17 PM
On week 5 day 2 of c25k today. My last training run went amazing. I was so excited the first two running intervals were cake...although on the third I was feeling pretty tired for the last min and a half. I cannot believe how far I have progessed. And I have switched to running everything outside, which I never thought I would be able to do. The only thing that is bumming me out lately is the heat....it is so hard to run in the hot.

iowasteph - congrats on your first race!!! I am on week 5 of the c25k program...good to see it works.

yp1 - sounds like an eventful race...great that you battled through the blister, legs giving out and your dodgy knee...once again you are an inspiration lol.

anne - wow is all I can say...

amber - ofcourse you can join :) I am a baby runner myself...

skinnyjeans - Good luck with your training.

srmb60
06-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Today was my first shot at the 2k I measured earlier this week. 14 minutes 19. It's hot and I walked .... some :)

I need to find the instructions for my watch so I can use the stopwatch function.

YP1
06-07-2006, 02:47 PM
I did about 6.5 miles this morning. My blister plaster moved during the run so it reformed a bit and I've been limping round for the rest of the day, but I've treated it again this evening so hopefully it will start to heal again. Plus my new trainers are on their way which will hopefully cure the problem (exactly the same as the ones I've got, but with about 500 miles less on the clock!)

VelVeeta
06-07-2006, 03:49 PM
OK, i just put this in another post but I AM RUNNING my FIRST 10K this Saturday.....AHHHH...i have never run this far before and i cannot wait. I have run 5 miles on Sunday and i think i will be fine. Everyone wish me luck! I hope to finish in under an hour. My 5 miles on sunday was 46 mins so hopefully i can do it!!! :cool:

YP1
06-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Good luck! If you can do 5 miles in 46 minutes I'm sure you'll finish in under an hour! Let us know how you go on.

iowasteph2
06-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Anne, congratulations on finishing the tri! I think it's amazing! You certainly don't look fat in your pictures either!

Skinnyjeans--Alright--a marathon in October!! Good for you! I certainly don't envy you having to run in the mornings. That would probably do me in for sure!

Stephie--yes, the C25k certainly works!!! Keep it up, and I'd recommend not skipping any workouts. It did wonders for me!

Susan, I just bought a new, fabulous watch. It wasn't too expensive (about $35 at Target), but it has a stopwatch, alarm, and it can also time intervals. I don't know what I would do without a stopwatch. My old one broke, so I marched right to Target to get a new one.

Helen, I love reading your posts. I've said this before, but I think you're inspriring! Don't blisters just suck!?

Velveeta, You're pretty fast!! Wow!

I just ran for an hour. I'd estimate that I ran probably 5.5-6 miles. It was a nice run. I didn't bring any water with me though, which wasn't the smartest idea. I've actually gained a couple of pounds recently, but I don't care too much, because I honestly feel that this is the healthiest that I have ever been. I was an athlete in college and everything, but I now have more stamina and such that EVER! Go, Me!!

I want to run the Las Vegas Marathon (though only do a half). It's December 10th. I have two brothers that live there. I thought that my parents would be up for a trip out to see them, but my mom told me that they would rather just wait until Christmas. Bummer. I could still go by myself, but I'd prefer to not travel alone. I think it would be cool to run down the strip and downtown Vegas.

Keep it up!

softballmom
06-08-2006, 08:09 AM
StephieWilliams and all: I started the C25K program last night from CoolRunners. I didn't have a stopwatch so I "counted" the time out - I know I was off, but I was close enough per my cellphone clock.

I have a question, though. The program only calls for 3 days and I like doing cardio (walk/run) at least 5 days a week. Can I do this for more than the called for 3 days? Is 3 days just a minimum? I don't want to get injured, but for the last couple of weeks, I would walk and then would run for an interval of time, and then would go back to walking. I would try to do at least two jog intervals during my 2-3 mile walk for a distance of just at 1/4 mile sometimes (1/2 mile total jog). I'm tired, but not sore. Any suggestions for this program, etc I will appreciate.

P.S. It also sounds more serious when I tell my hubby that I will meet up with him after my run, instead of "after my walk". He's known me for 24 yrs and he is surprised at my running efforts.

midwife
06-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Hi all,
I have been running and running. Mostly 3 miles, but I did a "long run" of 3.5 miles on Friday! I'll keep working on that (haha!). I have been mostly getting up at 5 am to run...this is not something that I ever thought I would do, but by noon here it is 90 degrees. Running in the cool dawn is just beautiful and such a great way to start the day. I have yet to run across a honking or yelling moron...I guess they are all asleep. Just other runners, people going to work, and me, my very big dog, my cell phone set on speed dial for 911, and a carefully hidden shank...just kidding...I do have the dog though!

Anyway, new problem...any one have advice about...chafing? Ouchies! My thighs are not very happy right now.

Thanks and happy trails!!

AmberD
06-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Softball mom - I'm on a different running program than you are, but mine requires a minimum of 3 days, more is perfectly exceptable. I think as long as you aren't sore and your knees are holding up, you should be fine

Midwife - O boy chafing! Can I relate!!:dizzy: What's solved the problem for me is spandex under my shorts. It doesn't ride up, so the fabric is rubbing together instead of my thighs!! Mine are all cotton right now, but I would recommend getting something that breathes better. Also, I know a lot of people who use Body Glide. It's a basically looks like deo., but you put it on your legs and your feet and where your arms rub against your shirt and it lubricates and stops chafing. It's sweat proof, and usually only requires one application. I got mine on amazon for ~$6

Good luck on your first 10K Velveeta! That's so exciting!!!:carrot:

Everyone else GREAT JOB with the running ~!!

I am seeking a bit of advice.
I run three times during the week for approx 45 minutes and a long run on Saturday (8 miles this Saturday, and only going up from there)
I have great shoes, and they are only a month or so old. But after a run, the next day my knees kind of ache... It's not bad, completely bearable. But since I'm only at about a third of the distance I want to be, I'm afraid it's going to get worse. Any suggestions on what I can do? Would putting those heel cushions in my shoes help?

skinnyjeans
06-08-2006, 09:54 AM
HI everyone. So far doing good on waking up to run. And it is much more comfortable temps at that time of day!!

Iowasteph-I just recently gained up a couple pounds also, mine was from vacation. I have noticed it slows me down a bit. But I am not freaking out because I feel really fit and I KNOW its just a matter or time before it drops back off.

Midwife- They make a gel called Bodyglide, or AstroGlide something like that you put on areas that chafe. It is a common problem for runners. I also read a thread in the 20's forum (I don't know how to link) on this as one of the girls was having the problem when wearing skirts. I read some great "home remedies" from baby powder and vaseline to a little anti-persperant in that area. You could also try wearing spandex/biking shorts under your run shorts.

SoftballMom- The program only calls for three days so that you body has a chance to recover on the off days. Running is pretty high impact and your body needs a chance to adjust to the pounding or you will get injured. People often get shin splints (Painful, hurts to take a step!) if they overdo at the beginning. Many runners do run consecutive days in a row (5 days a week) once they have become accustomed to the impact, until then I would stick with alternating days and do lower impact cardio like walking, biking, or rollerblading of the off days.

srmb60
06-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Same time as yesterday plus 10 seconds to go back and fetch my hat. Dratted dump truck!

Stephanie Osborne
06-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Week 5 Day 2...of the c25k program

Ok so this program just jumped up a notch...it got out of hand fast! I was feeling awesome after my last training run. I looked at the schedule and saw omg 2 eight minute running intervals and my jaw dropped. Went to a movie tonight and lost all daylight to run in...dragged my butt to the gym and guess what...I did it. I was so awesome I even upped my mph on the last minute of my last running interval to push myself just a little harder. Music blaring, heart pumping, sweat dripping I am a running goddess and did not even know it! Better keep this motivation week 5 day 3 calls for running 20 minutes straight with no breaks...up until now 11 minutes is the longest I have ever run...

Wish me luck, god I am so fricken proud!

velveeta - good luck on your 10k sounds like you have been training for it, I know you can nail it in under an hour.

iowasteph - Thanks for the advice...I try to not to skip or get behind, I could see how that would effect the programs effectiveness.

softballmom - the program gets hard after a while, I would say on your off days from the program do another kind of cardio that will still help your running stamina...spinning or biking is great for that. As for tips...hmmm I try to avoid the heat if I can, I bought a cheap watch from walmart that had a stopwatch built into it ($6) so I would not have to tote around my cell phone...oh and I bought running shorts but also spandex to put under them to keep them from riding up...

midwife - where in the rocky mountains are you? I haven't encountered chafing yet but I hear powder, or spandex could work...

midwife
06-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi Steph, I am in NM...

Astroglide...that stuff has many purposes...I tell my post-partum ladies to use it for...ahem...dryness...hee hee.

I guess I will buy my very first spandex anything. Should be VERY amusing!

Thanks to everyone for all the tips!

YP1
06-08-2006, 03:08 PM
I've heard many good things about Bodyglide, but I've never used it myself. I've always just worn lycra shorts rather than baggy ones, or at least until my thighs got far enough apart not to cause huge problems (even so if it's hot or I'm running a long way I tend to just wear the lycra).

I'm refusing to be beaten by the blisters, and I ran 3.4 miles today without making it any worse. I'm not running again until Sunday (a 10k race) so hopefully they should heal a bit before then.

I have a dilemma though. My old shoes are worn out and causing foot (blister) and knee problems. I have some new ones that I'm picking up tomorrow morning on the way to work. I'm trying to decide between wearing the old ones and the new ones for the race. I know I shouldn't really wear new ones to race in without wearing them in, but they're exactly the same as my old ones which were fine on their first wearing, and 10k is actually relatively short by the standard of a lot of my runs at the moment, if I wasn't racing on Sunday I'd be doing a 6 miler and then a 12 miler in them over the weekend anyway. I'm tempted to just go with the new ones on the basis that the race is short enough that I'll be able to get through it as well as I tape my feet (particularly the blisters) up before the start.

bone idle
06-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Hi all!

I completed my first 5k race last wkend (31mins 40secs -PB for me!). For the first couple of days after I felt really motivated to improve my running and start training for a 10k. But I feel that entusiasm starting to wane and Im really not motivated any more.

Do you guys ever get like this when you reach one goal and then start aiming for another?

Only Me
06-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Helen, in your situation, I'd be tempted to wear the new shoes around the house or whatever you're doing on Saturday, so they'd be somewhat broken in for the race. I'm still waiting for my new shoes and alternating between two old, worn out pairs while I wait. I hate having small feet, it makes shoe shopping more complicated.

skinnyjeans, for running related chafing you want bodyglide. Astroglide could be useful for a different sort of chafing though. ;)

Amber, have you slowly worked up to your current running milage? Have you been taking an easier week once a month? I found that the first winter I increased my running distances, my knees ended up getting sore. Once I eased back a bit until they felt better, I was able to slowly increase again.

stephie, good luck with week 5, day 3. I still remember finishing that first 20 minute run! Take it slow and easy and you'll do fine.

bone idle First, congratulations on your first 5k! I sometimes do get a bit of a post-race let down after a big goal race. Paying for another race a couple of months away helps motivate me to keep training. Over the fall/winter, when I went about 6 months between races, reminding myself that 1) I like feeling fit , 2) I want to get faster, and 3) the best way to get faster is to keep running through whatever weather is thrown at me (ice storms excluded).

I got out for just under 15km this very windy afternoon. Luckily the skies just threatened rain the whole time, but held out until I got home. I even did the strides called for in my schedule. And "ran" (if you can call it that) up a long, tough hill.

midwife
06-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Sounds like heavenly running weather, OnlyMe!

Well, I bought some spandex shorts and wore them last night to a kick boxing class with other athletic shorts over them.

Dang, my thighs and tummy looked really good! I think they will be the ticket to avoiding further chafing.

softballmom
06-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Did my day 2 of week 1 for C25K program tonight. I went out at 730p instead of right after work at 4p. With the temps being cooler it didn't seem as hard, in fact I did it for 30min instead of the 20min.

I'm taking the advice of doing the program every other day to help rest up. Thanks for your responses.

Hope everyone has a terrific weekend.

webweevil
06-10-2006, 07:06 AM
I was thinking of trying jogging/running for the first time as well. I ordered a "no bounce" bra from Title 9 the other day and am heading out today to pick up some type of compression short or capri. You guys have motivated me!

I've never jogged before. Running is good for cardio and legs. Any other parts of the body?

midwife
06-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Webweevil...I find that it is good for my belly...I have the "incredible shrinking pannus" when I am running regularly! Does it make abs stronger? I try to focus on centering myself and keeping my abs tight when I run and it seems to help. It is great wt bearing exercise for our bones too.

I ran my long run this am....4 miles! My plan is to add 1/2 mile to that long run each week. Half marathon: here I come!!

AmberD
06-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Congratulations on the 4 miles midwife! that's fantastic.

I got up at 6am and ran 8 miles (farthest I've ever gone), i'm going back to bed, I'll catch up with everyones post later

Only Me
06-10-2006, 08:07 PM
It was rainy and cool, but at least it wasn't windy. I ran a 5k race today. The turn out was low probably because of the crappy weather. I finished in 23:58, a 20 second PB. And since the really fast women were running the 15k race, I also came in second place (out of five) and got a medal, which my 4 year old dd proudly wore all the way home. Tomorrow, back to the training schedule with the 28k long run that I should have done this morning.

AnneWonders
06-11-2006, 09:53 AM
OnlyMe, that sounds like a great race. How did your long run go?

I got out this morning for my run. My training log says that the last time I actually ran was May 23! Anyway, my coach is giving me some definite run/walk splits to help me get back up to speed. Today's longest run interval was 10 minutes, but right in the middle of it I ran into a pack of javelina--they were kind of hidden in some shrub at the end of someone's driveway and before I knew it there we were. Eight adults, two babies. (These look a lot like small hairy pigs with big long sharp teeth and they can run way WAY faster than I can! http://www.desertusa.com/magnov97/nov_pap/du_collpecc.html) Anyway, mama was angry since I was too close to the babies, and I had to stand really really still for a while, until they decided to move away. I warned off a woman out walking her dog to stay back and not inflame the situation. Whew! Scary. At least my HR got up there!

Then I redid my prescribed intervals.

Here's hoping all of you have BORING runs today! And I do mean that in a good way.

Anne

Sweater Girl
06-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Anne: eek, I had never heard of taht creature before. Thanks for the pic! I have run into fairly docile animals on my runs. Asides from the usual cats, squirrels and chipmunks, I have run by lots of deer (which are rampant in my area), groundhogs, skunks, snapping turtles and even a porcupine (I had no idea they were close by). Luckily none of them were near their young or predatory. I am sure I would have freaked seeing that creature (the two creatures I am scared of coming across are fishers <a relative of the weasal> and bears).

Only Me: Great run time!!

Cheers!

Ali

YP1
06-11-2006, 05:19 PM
My 10k this morning was brutally hot, really horrible weather to run in. I managed to get round in under an hour, (or indeed managed to get round at all - I passed two people who had collapsed and one who was being supported over the last 100 metres to the line), but that's about all you can say for it!

Only Me
06-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Anne, that is a scary looking animal. I saw a marmot this morning, but it ran away into the grass at the side of the path long before I got near it. Other than that, I mostly see birds. Including mother and baby ducks at this time of year.

Helen, when it's really hot compared to what you're used to, just finishing upright is a good run.

My long run (28k) went pretty well this morning. Better than the 26k two weeks ago both time wise and how I was feeling by the end of it. I left at 6am so that I'd be home in time to eat and shower before the kids swimming lessons. The weather was cool and alternated between mist and light rain, but at least it wasn't too hot. Tomorrow will be a rest day running-wise, but if the weather report is right and it finally stops raining, I'll be doing laundry, lawn mowing, and running errands on foot.

kykaree
06-12-2006, 04:29 AM
I di my first 10k yesterday, the same one as Helen. I walked and ran and finished in 1:37, which of course is slow, but I *finished* :D and I wasn't last! And now I am more determined and ever to improve my running. I don't really love running on my own, but in a group like that, it's excellent!

webweevil
06-12-2006, 07:18 AM
You guys are so inspiring! 5k, 10k, 28k - you guys are amazing! :carrot: I walked my second day for 30 minutes and hope to be bragging about my first couch to 5k week soon.

2frustrated
06-12-2006, 08:00 AM
:hug:

I did my first ever 10K yesterday toooooooooooo! I got 1 hour 22, which is ok considering the heat! :faint:

softballmom
06-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Last night did my Day 3 of Week 1 C25K. I don't know why I translated the program's first week to a 30 sec run / 60 sec walk, but that's what I've been doing for this first week! So I'll just consider this a pre-C25K and officially start the First Week tomorrow night running 60 sec / walking 90 sec. No wonder it seemed so easy!
At least, I have my routine firming up - that is half my battle.

Congratulations to all in their weekend races -- can't wait to be in there with you.

Lucky13
06-12-2006, 09:23 AM
mental note - do not run at 4:00pm in TEXAS in the summer...ouch - that was not fun...did that on friday afternoon...then a softball double-header that evening -man, i was pooped...

Saturday DH and I did another 35 minutes (mostly walking) outdoors (at 8:30pm this time). then when we got home i ran another mile on the treadmill - at a pace of 8:30/mile - woohoo...that felt nice.

I managed to get in 5 miles yesterday - running about half of it...then i tried some yoga exercises with an exercise ball. I saw the exercises in a magazine - that was really tough. Besides the fact i don't do yoga but i wanted to be able to use my exercise ball more...my arms are a little bit sore today...

VelVeeta
06-12-2006, 03:50 PM
I did my first 10k this weekend and finished in 1hr 2mins. I ran a 10min mile and ran the whole time:carrot: I am signing up for the Army 10miler in October. :dizzy:

YP1
06-12-2006, 04:01 PM
I forgot to say, I ran my 10k in my new trainers and they were absolutely perfect with no wearing in. I took the tags off them on Saturday evening, tied my chip on and just ran. It helped that I wasn't running at race pace I suppose, but not a hint of a blister and they were blissfully bouncy. Fantastic!

skinnyjeans
06-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Only- Thnaks for the tip on the Body v Astro Glide. I would sure hate to have made a mistake there!

Runs last week were great but we were in Vegas for the weekend. It was $20 for the gym for one day and 100 degrees outside. So no run there. Unfortunately I was not able to run today because of stomach problems. Hopefully I am back on track tomorrow.

SJ

Ilene
06-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey gang :wave: great going to all the racers, running in heat is aweful!!

Last week was sort of a break week, I was working full days, I'm not used to that and I was having a difficult time getting into the swing of working out after work or before work!! But now it's all good :D...

Sunday I ran 30 mins on the threadmill and today too... did some speed intervals...

iowasteph2
06-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Hi!!

Helen, I was actually wondering what you decided about your shoes. I would have done the same thing, but I didn't feel "qualified" to give my opinion. Congrats on the 10k.

Anne, if I would have ran into those animals, I would have had to go home to clean my shorts. I would have been scared out of my mind!!

Velveeta, kykaree, & 2frustrated, congrats on the 10k's. Good for you!

Skinnyjeans, was it a Vegas vacation? One of my brothers lives there, so I like to visit. I find that I get plenty of exercise walking around. Thank goodness I don't sit down at one of the slot machines all week!!

Softballmom, too funny about mixing up the C25k week. I goofed up on it a couple times too. I'd get out there running and forget what I was suppose to be doing. (I'm very, very forgetful...my husband hates it.)

Ilene, sometimes it's nice to take a week off! I hope you benefit from it!

As for me, I only did a 20 minute run tonight. I did it at a fairly fast pace (though i don't know exactly how fast). I also walked 2 miles with my husband. I was so happy that he got some physical activity in. He usually does nothing, and it makes me sad. I want him to live to a ripe old age!

Stephanie Osborne
06-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Well week 5 day 3 is in the bag. About 11 minutes in I started getting some cramping in my calves. Took about 30 secs out and walked with long stride trying to stretch them out a bit. Must have worked I ran the other 9 mins no problem. Did you guys notice a boost in self confidence when you started running? When I have a good training run I feel on top of the world...

Helen - too bad about your blisters and your shoe dilemna.

bone idle - What about finding a training buddy? Or a mentor...I know competition with another individual always helps to motivate me.

only me - thanks for the good luck and the good advice. It is over and done with and amazingly I made it through it! Congrats on the great time! I have still to run my first 5k, any tips?

midwife - I live and die by my spandex shorts...they look slimming and I never have issues with chafing. I notice the abs too...I think due to focusing on my breathing so much it makes me really aware of them

softball mom - oh yeah definitely keep going out when the temps are a bit cooler...I went out on afternoon and the temp ws 90 I about died lol. Good luck on the program it is so fabulous. Its seems easy at first but believe me take the easiness in the beginning it steps up a notch toward week 5...

webweevil - I have heard that running is the best form of toning cardio...I have noticed my abs getting tighter as well as my running progresses...overall you just feel so much better. I have a definite boost in self confidence as well.

amberd - Wow 8 miles...I am as always in awe.

anne - oh my gosh your running into wildlife lol...good luck with your training.

kykaree - I imagine group running would be more motivating then going on your own. Great job getting through that 10k.

lucky13 - in this months Self magazine there is an excellent ball routine...

velveeta - Congrats on getting through that 10k

skinnyjeans - I hope you get back on track soon. Did you have fun in Vegas?

Ilene - wow 30 miles...you are an inspiration :)

iowasteph - I know what you mean about wanting your hubby to work out. Doing this running program has motivated him to work out a bit more as well...

YP1
06-13-2006, 02:01 PM
I did a 30 minute speedwork session on the treadmill this morning and it felt good! It's been a while since I've picked up any sort of speed in my running and even though I'm mainly focussing on endurance at the moment I felt like having a nice fast session. I did 1k warm up then 3 x 800m fast, 200m recovery, then I was going to do 1k to warm down but decided to carry on til I hit the 30 minute mark at about 5.8k because my legs felt so good.

eadavenp
06-13-2006, 02:17 PM
hey all, long time no see! I ran my 5k (sort of) and finished in about 40 minutes. Not great but not walking the whole time either. I was very proud of my fundraising effort (4,400 dollars) which made up for the sting of a crummy race time. I was also at just about my heaviest in four years (175 lbs)

I have had some time off of running, but im losing some of the wieght i packed on from the stress of the end of school, grad school admissions, graduation/moving etc. (im down 7 lbs since Mother's Day!) I had a breast reduction which has forced me to quit just about all activity. (i can walk, but i can't walk with my dogs because that might hurt my chest and arms) I should be able to go back to working out in a week or so. I have a new program from cooking light magazine that i want to start, it looks fun and like more of a challenge. the couch to 5k program starts too slowly for me. I am also looking for recs for heart rate monitors, any suggestions?

VelVeeta
06-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Congrats eadavenp. You finished and that is all that matters. Ladies, i am so glad i found this board. I love coming here to see where everyone is with their running and it gives me so much motivation. Thanks to everyone. Ran yesterday and i am done running until i purchase new shoes on Thursday. I think the 10k did more of a number on my old shoes than it did on me, LOL. Until then, i am enjoying my 2 days off and playing softball. Its not running but at least it will hopefully give me some decent exercise.

Ilene
06-13-2006, 11:25 PM
eadavenp -- $4,400 THAT's an accomplishment!!

I've been running on the dreadmill because of time restraints but I have been playing mind games and doing speed intervals and having fun with it all so it's a good thing...

Lucky13
06-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Stephie - thanks for the advice - I will have to check it out. The magazine article I have is actually from a Self magazine from two years ago...

I decided to make my running workout a 'circuit' last night - man that was tough. 10 minutes running (1.12 miles), one set of my yoga/exercise ball stuff, 10 minutes of running (1.13 miles), two sets of my yoga/exercise ball stuff, and then another 10 minutes of running (1.21 miles)...man i was so tired...I ended up doing 3.5 miles in just over 30 minutes...

And then the Mav's lost last night...grr... :(

Probably taking tonight off

teapotdynamo
06-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Hey, CRs! Hope you don't mind my posting here, but I am getting more into running and kinda caught the enthusiasm coming from your posts :). I have run on and off for since I started my WL journey a couple years ago, but I've never been terribly consistent with it (with exercise, yes, just not running!). Lately I've been trying to kick it up a little bit. The other day I ran for 40 minutes straight for the first time. I'm not sure how many miles I did, but I do a fairly consistent 11 minute mile at the gym. I know that's nothing to you guys, but I was pretty happy.

I'm thinking of running a 4-mile race in Central Park next month. Do you guys find that you can "do more" in a race because of the competition factor? Sometimes I feel like I could run longer but am still a little bit nervous about hurting myself. I'm in good shape in general (just found out my resting heart rate is around 60!), so I don't get out of breath or feel like my heart will burst, but my body just feels tired. My dad was a long-distance runner but blew out his knees after running 12-13 miles a day for several years, so I'm a little wary.

Anyway, good to see you all here!

Only Me
06-14-2006, 10:12 AM
eadavenp: congrats on your race and on your amazing fund raising efforts!

Emily, that sounds like at tough workout. Do you find it harder or easier to keep switching gears like that compared to say, a 3.5 mile run followed by the yoga/exercise ball workout?

teapotdynamo, I can definitely run faster for longer in a race than normal. I thought I'd lost speed since last summer since I'd just been concentrating on distance and hadn't done much running at 5k pace since last fall. I still set a 20 second pb in a 5k race last weekend. I was suprised I was able to pull the speed out of somewhere once I was surrounded by faster runners.

Yesterday was a 14k run including 12k at marathon pace. It was about 70 and sunny, but I didn't find it too hot. Maybe I'm starting to adapt to the heat. (I hope.) There was a nice breeze. Today's plan is 6-8k at an easy pace.

AnneWonders
06-14-2006, 10:19 AM
teapotdynamo, I'm with OnlyMe--the adrenaline and excitement of a race means I can go fast and farther. BUT, since it feels easy, I have a tendency to go too hard/fast at first and then just suffer the rest of the way. That is a common problem for a lot of people. So go for that 4 miler, but make sure you run the first mile at what feels EASY. You will be going faster than you think.

Tonight is a little local aquathlon, 800 yd swim followed by a 5K run. If I can get registered I'm going to do it.

Anne

Lucky13
06-14-2006, 01:56 PM
teapot - yes - I definitely find I can run faster/easier with the competition in the air...

Only Me - the workout of switching it up was harder, IMO...mainly because I was so sweaty it was hard to keep hold of the ball and also because I knew I still had more to run after I was done...If I didn't sweat so much it wouldn't have been so bad, I'm thinking...

I'll probably still do that kind of workout once per week just to mix it up because I was able to 'persuade' myself to run faster since it was only 10-minute intervals.

YP1
06-14-2006, 02:06 PM
Teapot - I usually run faster in races too (Sunday being the only real exception to that).

I had a really good workout this morning, I ran 5.67 miles and then swam for half an hour, tomorrow is an easy 3 miler which I'm looking forward to. I can't believe that I've actually started looking forward to running rather than treating it as a necessary evil.

There's a half decent picture of me in Sunday's race here (http://www2.sportcam.net/site3/public/custom.php?add=1261200&event=673), it looks better than most of my recent running pictures.

AnneWonders
06-15-2006, 12:23 AM
I did my aquathlon tonight. 800 yd swim with 5K run. My run time was about 42 min and I did a lot of walking. But I'm happy with that considering a) I haven't really been able to train in about a month, b) I'm still sort of on the sick side (cough cough sniff sniff ah-choo), c) it was about 95 degrees F, and d) I just swam hard for almost 17 minutes. Excoooooses, excoooses. But I'm happy with it all the same.

Helen, you look fantastic. Emily, did you have fun with switching it up? That is kind of why I do tris instead of just straight running, always something new to do.

Anne

YP1
06-15-2006, 02:41 AM
I've been out for 3.7 miles this morning. I do like running first thing in the morning to wake me up and get it out of the way. Tomorrow is a rest day so it almost feels like 2 days off - the rest of today and tomorrow.

midwife
06-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Helen, Today is my rest day also and I ran yesterday at 5 am so it feels like it has been FOREVER since I ran. My exercise plans today include elliptical, an hour of sparring and an hour of other kick cardio.

I got three compliments yesterday that I look "great"! Nothing like running to shrink one's girth, eh?

webweevil
06-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Yeah! I did it! :carrot: Today was my first day on the C25K program. It was hard but the one minute jogging/running intervals were doable. By about the thirteen minute mark though, I could have used longer than the one and a half minutes walking recovery time. Do you think it would matter if I extended the walking recovery time to two or two and a half minutes? I would still be doing the same six minutes of jogging.

YP1
06-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Well done! It will get easier and you've made a great start!

midwife
06-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Got up at 5 am (and really really wanted to just stay in bed!) but I ran miles. Like I told my kids, if it is worth doing, it is worth getting up early for.

webweevil
06-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Got up at 5 am (and really really wanted to just stay in bed!) but I ran miles. Like I told my kids, if it is worth doing, it is worth getting up early for.

Midwife, how many hours a day do you exercise? You mentioned earlier about sparring for an hour and kick-cardio for an hour, as well as spending time on the eliptical. That's all in one day. I just can't imagine spending hours and hours a day exercising. I could never make that amount of time or stick with that intense of a porgram. Just wondering....

Stephanie Osborne
06-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Got my wk6d1 run in. Really tried to push myself by running a bit faster and also adding a breif sprint for 30 seconds at the end of each running interval. Felt really good. I have never done any kind of sprinting before. Still having a bit of a concern about my calves cramping...any one have any ideas?

eadaevenp - have you checked out the nikewomen site? They have some pretty decent training programs including one for a 10 k or even a half or full marathon.

lucky - bet that circuit training is going to be awesome for you, plus crunches a good workout into a little bit of time...good going.

helen - that is a pretty good pic!

anne - congrats on your aquathlon...

webweevil - I probably would not mess with the walking recovery time...just try to run a little slower...the program picks up pretty quickly

midwife
06-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Hi Webweevil, I messed up my post--my number 3 has been sticking on my keyboard. I ran 3 miles and it took me 33 minutes. Yesterday I did a 28 minute "wt loss" workout on the elliptical plus a 5 minute cool-down, skipped the sparring and did about 50 minutes of kickboxing. I average about 30-90 minutes of exercise a day, plus a total rest day each week. The longest distance I have run is 4 miles, so I have a long way to go to work up to the half-marathon I have my eye on. My next goal is to incorporate weight lifting. Part of my kick boxing classes includes pushups and situps...I have a lot of work to do, but also a lot of time to do it in!

YP1
06-16-2006, 02:40 PM
A half marathon isn't so bad once you can get to 4 miles, honest... Once you can run for half an hour at a time it's a lot easier to build up your distance than it was to start in the first place, or that's what I found at least.

Which reminds me, I have a 13 miler planned for Sunday...

webweevil
06-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks all for the encouragement and your imput! :hug:

YP1
06-17-2006, 04:58 AM
6 miles at marathon pace this morning. I really need to find a better way of doing paced runs though, the only way I can really track and maintain my speed is on the treadmill at the moment. It's OK in races when there are distance markers, but apart from that I really need the display on the treadmill. The problem is it just gets so boring, and if my paced runs get any longer I'll run out of time to do them because the treadmill only goes up to an hour. Still, I figure it's worth the boredom to do a paced run occasionally so I get to know what my target pace feels like.

midwife
06-17-2006, 09:33 AM
5 miles today...At my marathon pace of 12 minute miles! Hahaha!!

YP1, could you get one of those GPS watch thingies to monitor your speed and distance?

YP1
06-17-2006, 10:46 AM
I could, but running on the treadmill is cheaper... I can't really justify the financial outlay, no matter how useful it would be.

iowasteph2
06-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Oh my!! It's HOT!! I thought jogging at 9:30am would be okay, but boy was I wrong. It was already nearly 90 degrees. It's not so much the heat that bothers me, but the humidity was horrendous!! I'm going to have to start waking up early, early, early, because this weather is going to kill me otherwise!!

Okay, sorry about that rant! My parents are coming to visit me later this afternoon and staying until tomorrow. I'll try to wake up before everyone else is awake tomorrow to get some exercise in. Otherwise it won't get done.

Everyone seems to be doing so well. Keep it up!

Helen, I think it would be difficult to track your pace. The only thing that I can think of besides using gps is maybe determining your own mile markers. Have you seen some of the websites that you can trace your path and it will calculate your mileage? Or...how about a high school track? I don't know. Tough one.

Ilene
06-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Helen -- Here is a site http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ that may help, find your country and city/town and you measure your distances on there before going out... worth a try... Let us know how it goes...

I've done horribly running this week... I'm working full time, I'm not used to it, the schedule is all screwed up... I've only run 12k this week... I'm going to try to get up early this week and at least go out for a 5k first thing... I've gotta do something!! Sorry about the rant!

YP1
06-18-2006, 04:58 AM
I've just been out for an 11.6 mile run. It wasn't my best, to be honest, I seemed to walk a lot of it and just couldn't get into the right state of mind. Physically I was OK, but mentally I just couldn't be bothered to actually run bits of it. I still managed to get round in just about 2 hours, so I was still doing about 10:20 per mile, but I just know I could have run better. Part of my "excuse" is that it was a new route down footpaths in some countryside just outside the city, so I was constantly checking my map, climbing over stiles etc, but still, I feel a bit disappointed with myself. Ah well, it's still time on my feet, and it's the same distance whether I sprint it or walk it, so it's not all bad.

webweevil
06-18-2006, 07:06 AM
You are being too hard on yourself YP1. 11.6 miles is still 11.6 miles!!! Walk or run, you covered some distance and saw some new sights. :carrot:

Today was day 2 of C25K week one. I must say, it didn't get any easier from day one to day two. After the 20 minutes was up, I continued another ten minutes of walking to keep me from cramping up.

Ilene
06-18-2006, 09:28 AM
I only did 7.97K today and I feel pretty good about that, even at 7am the heat kills me!...Helen you did great, you're being too hard on yourself !

midwife
06-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks for posting that website, Ilene! I plotted out my long run that I had guessed was 5 miles and it was 4.9 miles. Not too bad! It was great fun for the kids to see a satellite view of our house too...

3.8 miles this am, a lot of it uphill, on a sandy path. I do not like running in sand although I hear it is better for the joints.

Only Me
06-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Helen, don't be so hard on yourself. We're all entitled to a crappy run once in a while. It's just too bad it happened on your long run day.

Ilene, the heat was killing me this morning too. I drank 2x as much water this morning as I did last weekend, when I ran further.

webweevil, got job on getting out there for day 2. I used to walk for a few minutes after finishing too.

I too had a tough-ish long run this morning. My legs were tired from walking a lot yesterday as well as a short run pushing my 2 dds in the stroller. And it's our first heat wave of the year so far, so I woke up hot and sweaty to start the run. I still managed 20.7km/11.8 miles at a6:26/10:22 pace. Which is amusingly slower than last weekend's 28k run in the rain (it felt tougher too). I took a hillier route this weekend and it was 29C/84F with humidity at 8am (I got home around 8:45) and almost no wind. It's during those tougher days that I realize that running is as much mental as physical.

softballmom
06-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Finished up Week 1 of the C25K this weekend. Tomorrow starts Week 2 which is 90 sec of run / 120 sec (2min) of walk. Just the extra 30 seconds taunts me. Okay, chant "I love a challenge...I love a challenge..." And then the third week.. okay we will not think about it until later in the week.

I am really enjoying it though. Especially afterwards, I am so pumped. I'm dangling next year's Peachtree Road Race in front of me for motivation and self-discipline. I think taking the advice from a lot of you to hook up with a road race will keep me focused for the long haul.

Lucky13
06-19-2006, 11:23 AM
got in 5 miles on Friday - I haven't run 5 miles in a while so I was pretty happy that I was able to complete it. I didn't run on Saturday but woke up early on Sunday and got in 6 miles (on an empty stomach - man I felt week...) and did my yoga/exercise ball work out. All in all, I felt pretty good about that.

DH and I have a July 4 run (8K) we plan on doing - that should be pretty tough weather-wise - even though it starts at 7:30am...

half-marathons - While I do agree that once you get past mile #3 or 4, it's definitely tough...usually it's the weather that keeps me going (it's usually cold and/or raining when i've done mine) so i know if i stop to walk i'm just going to get even colder!! Plus, you get this certain mentality where you say to yourself - "look, you've trained for how long for this and now you're going to walk? I don't think so...keep your butt moving!"

midwife
06-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Ran 3 miles today at a comfortable pace and then raced along the straight parts of the track and walked the curves for about...8 more laps. The speed work was a blast. I felt like a little kid!

VelVeeta
06-19-2006, 04:49 PM
I think i have lost my mind but i signed up for the Army 10 miler (for any of you DC people) and i am so nervous. Its in October so i have plenty of time but still, i just ran my first 10K last weekend and it was the farthest i have ever run!! EEK! Going to get some new shoes today and start preparing!

skinnyjeans
06-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey everone. I am with you on the heat. Whew. Today it was so humid I could have been swimming. HaHa. I have a wicking shirt but really need the sport bra for under it instead of regular cotton.

Today was the first official training day for my marathon. I printed out a copy of the course and highlighted the distance equal to what I ran today. I figure this will help motivate me for the long runs. The Detroit Marathon actually crosses into Canada and back over to the US. I am just about to "cross-over" to Canada and looking forward to filling in enough to "cross-back". Kind of silly, but what-ever motivation works!

I officially registered today and sat there grinning about it for a few minutes. I so excited and hoping to ride this as long as possible.

SJ

Ilene
06-19-2006, 09:07 PM
It's hot and humid here too!! This morning I went out at 5am and jogged 5k took me 40 minutes... Oy, I swear I am getting worse instead of better at running :mad:

softballmom
06-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Did my Day 1 of Week 2 of the C25K program tonight. One word - whew! Never realized a mere 30 seconds more could be that challenging. For the 90 second runs, it was a body over mind thing to just do it. But afterwards, it felt soooo good. It was very exhilarating to know that I accomplished it. Maybe Day 2 will flow easier and I can enjoy the moment, or maybe not - ;)

webweevil
06-20-2006, 08:05 AM
The good news is that I just finished week #1 of the C25K program. Yeah! :carrot: I think this run was a little easier as far as the breathing/heart-rate is concerned. The bad news is that I hurt my knees. On the previous run I thought I twisted my left knee slightly, but today both knees hurt. I think maybe I was lifting myself up too high and coming back down too hard on my knees on the first two runs. I put ice on them for about ten minutes. Tomorrow I'll walk for 30 minutes. Hopefully I'll be able to move on to week #2 on Thursday.

Lucky13
06-20-2006, 08:20 AM
I ran 5 miles in 45 minutes last night - woohoo :)

Will have to take tonight off but will get back at it tomorrow

AnneWonders
06-20-2006, 10:16 AM
So for those of you with kids: when does the cycle of baby colds end? I went to my doctor yesterday, got some steroids for my nose (yay steroids!) and am feeling better after about 4 weeks of nagging illness (and non-existent to crappy running). Not 100% yet, but good enough so the sense of desperation is leaving. BUT I wake up this morning and DD is once again a snot volcano. So here it comes again. I feel like I'm hanging on by my fingernails, reading Helen's and Skinny Jean's (you go girls) marathon plans with envy, and wondering when I'm going to be healthy enough to run more than once a week again? Can anybody tell me what I'm in for? Sigh.

The aquathlon series continues tomorrow, every Wednesday until August, and I'll probably race again, even though my last one was pretty rough and I have done ZERO training since last week. What the heck?

Webweevil, softballmom, great job on the C25K program! You'll be cruising in no time. Good running Ilene, midwife, Only Me (2 DD in a stroller!!), and Lucky13. Sorry if I'm missing anybody! I'll be thinking of you in this heat. We are scheduled for 108 degrees today. And Ilene, runs do slow down considerably in the heat--you are not getting worse!

Anne

Stephanie Osborne
06-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Ok so question for you all and esp. any one who has done the c25k program...

I am on week 7 now but thinking maybe I should repeat some weeks. Here is my rationale. The program tells me to walk for 5 mins then run for 25 minutes OR 2.7 miles...up until recently I had been hitting the local track and running for 25 minutes not worrying to much about my distance. Then it got to me...I am signing up to run a certain distance not a certain length of time. Maybe I should be running the distance regardless of how long it takes. SO Sunday I tried to run the 25 minutes like they suggest and see if I can up with the right distance...I was right at 2 mi. So now I am all bummed that my progress may have been superficial...When it makes a suggestion like 25 minutes OR 2.7 mi which should I do as a beginner? Oh and as far doing 2.7 IN 25 minutes - I am laughing already

softballmom
06-20-2006, 01:28 PM
StephieWilliams: I am going to keep checking back and hopefully someone will have an answer regarding time vs distance. I'm in Week 2 (only by one day) and I've been doing the time thing, but I know starting Wk 3 there is a choice between the two.

wndranne: It's been awhile since I've had "snot volcanoes" :lol: at my house. But, I do know that *this to shall pass*. Do what you can without too much guilt. Little ones are only little for awhile, then they grow up to drive your cars, eat your food, spend your money. :hug:

webweevil: Sorry to hear about your knees! Take care of them. Now that I am beginning to enjoy running that has become my new fear.

To everyone else: Keep on running, but be cautious in this heat!

Only Me
06-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Stephie and softballmom, I did C25k by time only. Generally, the recommendation is to pick time OR distance and follow it all the way through. If your 30 minutes doesn't equal 5k by the end (not at all unusual) and you want to run 5k, just add 5 minutes per week after the 8 week program until you're running the full distance.

I think I'm getting an extra day off today because of dh's work schedule, needed grocery shopping, and a little end of year party at ds's school.

Anne, I'm sorry I can't help you with your cycle of colds. Ds didn't even get a cold until he was around a year. The girls got sick once or twice as babies, but not one after another. But, none of them were in daycare. I hope it gets better soon.

YP1
06-20-2006, 03:21 PM
I'd agree, work on the basis of time at this stage and then if you're not covering 5k add to it when you've got to 30 minutes. If you've always been building up by distance then carry on with that, but don't make a big jump midway through - you should only be increasing your runs by a small amount each time so if you're going to have to run for 10 extra minutes to cover the distance rather than 5 extra to get the right time, that's too much of a jump.

I ran a surprisingly good 4 miles this morning which perked me up a bit. I was meant to be doing intervals on the treadmill but they were all taken so I just went outside and ran at a comfortable pace, and ended up going a fair bit faster than my comfortable runs have been recently. Tomorrow I'm doing 7 miles before work, I've finally sorted myself out with some energy drink powder on the basis my mileage is increasing, so I'm going to try that tomorrow and see whether it makes a difference to my run (I usually run before breakfast so that bit of energy might come in handy!)

Miaka
06-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Hi Guys,

I finally had the courage to post. Three weeks after my vacation I finally made it to the gym! I did 3 miles this morning, normally an easy run felt like I was dying! But still great afterwards. I guess I'll take it slow for a while and slowly get back to where I was.

Only Me
06-21-2006, 11:09 AM
I managed to get up early and head out for just over 14km at marathon pace. The oppressive heat of the past few days has broken and I enjoyed running in the cool weather, sun and light wind. I love days with sun, warm temperatures and cool nights.

Helen, let me know how the energy drink works for you. I don't use them in training since they seem to upset my stomach, but I drink gatorade race water stations without any problems. I've been thinking that I should try out gels on a long run or two because a few tiny cups of gatorade might not be enough for the full marathon. The marathon I'm running also has banana and orange stations after the 1/2 way point, but I don't think my stomach would appreciate solid food while running for around 4 hours.

skinnyjeans
06-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Hmm..I don't think I am quite at the point where I need to worry about fueling myself yet. In fact I am still carrying some extra around on my body for "emergency purposes". Ha Ha. Actually, I know replenishing will be a problem for me at longer distances since Gatorade and energy drinks tend to upset me. I think I am going to try and water them down and work my way up to full concentration.

Stephie- I think the idea of continuing to add time after the C25k is over is the way to go. That is what I did when I completed the program. Lord knows at 30 minutes I wasn't close to finishing a full 5k in distance! Just stick to the 10% rule. Add 10% to your time each week, about 3 minutes, until you reach the full distance. That will help prevent you from overdoing and increasing too fast once the C25K is over.

Miaka- Keep up the good work you will be back in no time!

YP1
06-21-2006, 02:42 PM
I was a bit nervous of the energy drink, I had some during my last half marathon from a water station and it seemed to upset my stomach a bit. Plus all I really drink is water and wine, so energy drinks sometimes taste really artificial. I managed to stomach it OK and it seemed to help as I had a really good run (7.6 miles at just over marathon pace) and felt strong til the end. I was only aiming for 7 but didn't see the mile marker for the distance I intended to turn round at. I'm going to try the energy drink again on Sunday when I have 14 miles planned as I'm sure I'll be in the zone where I really need it by then (7 miles is a distance I've done without quite a few times, but I wanted to get used to it on a shorter run).

4.4 miles tomorrow morning probably. I'm finding sticking to the training schedule far easier than I expected, although this will be my most intensive week of running ever and it only gets harder from here!

AnneWonders
06-21-2006, 06:53 PM
I can't stomach gatorade on long runs, but I've had good luck with energy gels. For really long runs, 18+ miles or so (ah, memories) I carry a little flask of the stuff, so I can get just a squirt of gel when I need it and distribute it more evenly through the run. I usually have a plan, like one squirt and one drink every mile or so. I'll usually start adding gels if I'm running more than an hour and a half. I've bonked hard without it before, it isn't pretty. Carbs are our friends.

Anne

AnneWonders
06-22-2006, 12:54 AM
Did my aquathlon tonight. The car said it was 105 degrees when I left home, monsoon thunderstorm blew through on my way there, and it was 75 when I registered to race. The storm did move out in time to race, and it was so much cooler than last week--almost pleasant. But my times were almost identical to last week, a 16:54 swim, 1:15 transition, and 41 min 5K run.

Anne

YP1
06-22-2006, 02:14 AM
I've just been out for my 4.4 miles, and no need to complain about the heat, it's grey, rainy, windy and pretty chilly. Where has summer gone? Still, I managed a half decent run and now I get to rest til Saturday :)

softballmom
06-22-2006, 08:23 AM
I have a question re: C25K program (coolrunning.com) for you experienced runners and graduates (or near) of the program.

I completed second day into week 2 which is alternating 90 sec run with 2min walk. I am finding this week much more intense than last week. The extra 30sec seems to be playing with my head. I'm doing it completely and only experiencing the good type of muscle throb and morning stiffness, so I think I am physically up to it. My question is should I repeat this week before moving on to next week, which alternates two reps of 90 sec jog/90 sec walk and 3min jog/3min walk, if I am still having trouble getting this week down? Or, should I persevere and work on my body over mind control? Which from reading some of your posts, and from my own humble thinkings, is a part of running longer races.

I appreciate all the advice....

midwife
06-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Wndranne, sounds like gorgeous weather to race in! I love Tuscon. It is one of the few other places I would consider living besides my hometown...and maybe New Zealand.

YP1, Summer is here with all of its heat and dryness. I'll try to send some your way, if you send some rain my way. We could use it.

Softballmom, I don't know a lot about the program you are doing, but if you ran 60 sec at a time last week and 90 seconds seems too much, could you run for 75 seconds at a time this week? Or alternate 60 seconds with one run "burst" and then walk and then 90 seconds with the next run "burst"? I may be totally misunderstanding your program. I remember when it was TORTURE to run down the straight side of an oval track...it gets better, I promise! You can do it!!

Lucky13
06-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Got in another 5 miles - this time in 44:15 - woohoo!!! Now if only the needle on the scale would reflect in this :(

skinnyjeans
06-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Softballmom- Hard call to make. I don't think either way is wrong as long as you are just generally sore and a specific body part is bothering you. I say give it a try. If the 3 min run seems too much maybe you could try making up your own intermediate week with all 90 sec run/90 sec walk intervals? That way you are still moving forward but its not as intense.

Stephanie Osborne
06-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Thank you ladies for all the great advice. I have signed up for a 5k but it is not until Aug 6th so I will continue to do the c25k by time and just keep adding to it slowly after I am finished with the actual program. So on to week 7 it is.

miaka - welcome back, great job on getting your run in .

only me - 14km, you go girl :)

skinny jeans - yeah I think that is what I am going to do, just add little bits of time to the end. Was not sure how much to add so thanks for the 10% suggestion.

helen - which energy drink were you trying?

anne - great job on your aquathlon even in light of the storm.

softball mom - I would try it. I almost always remember looking at the next week and being like there is no way I can do that. Mental roadblocks...you can do it. If the 90 seconds is hard then just slow down a bit. You will feel like you are going ridiculously slow but it will allow you to continue on the program.

midwife
06-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Ran about 6 miles this am. 73 minutes of running. I may be slow, but I can keep going for a lonnng time.

YP1
06-22-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm on Lucozade at the moment, it was on special offer.

iowasteph2
06-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Softballmom--I also think that you should go ahead and try the next week. You can do it!!!

I've been taking it easy lately...running two or three miles here and there. I know it's just excuses, but work and the heat have been really getting to me. But...I took a day of vacation tomorrow to enjoy the 80 degree temperatures (whew---10 degrees cooler than what we've had and far less humidity!), and I hope to get a long run in. I'm dogsitting for a co-worker. Shadow loves to run, but she isn't in the best shape. The two of us will go for 20 minutes or so, then I'll drop her off to continue on. It's fun to run with a dog too!!

AnneWonders
06-22-2006, 09:56 PM
softballmom, go ahead and give it a try. You can always drop back if you need to. Sometimes we surprise ourselves by what we can do.

Anne

Pachyderm
06-23-2006, 07:00 AM
Can I ask some advice of you more experienced runners. I just finished the 2nd week of the c25k programme and I am looking forward to moving onto week 3. However, on day 2 of this week, I was running over some rough ground and felt a bit of pain in my knee. It soon got better so I just carried on with the rest of the run/walk. Today I ran again, and I again felt some pain in that knee while running (but not while walking). The pain is not severe at all, but it is a slightly sharp pain rather than a dull ache. I completed my run today and walked home again without any pain. I have since been sitting with an ice-pack on it, and have taken some ibuprofen.

My question is this: what should I do if the pain is still there on Monday? Should I continue with the programme and stop only if it gets worse, do week 2 again, or rest completely until there is no pain?

My preferred option is just to continue unless it gets worse, as in all other respects I feel ready to move forward, but I don't want to do any damage to myself. What do you guys think?

webweevil
06-23-2006, 07:07 AM
Well, I am going to be the voice of caution. Be careful! If you are having trouble with a particular week, do that week over again or do an intermediate of that week and the next. If you push yourself too hard, you get sloppy. When you get sloppy, your body form isn't what it should be and you may very well get hurt. Look at me. I've been dragging around since Tueday's run when I hurt both my knees. I think once you get tired, you don't have as much control about proper foot placement, which leads to injuries. So, do what you feel you can. Once I get up and running again, I will have no trouble repeating a week or modifying the program if needed. The program is just a guide to help you, not hinder or hurt you. Do what work's best for you!

Only Me
06-23-2006, 08:27 AM
I agree with webweevil. Take care of your knees and listen to your body. If you need to take a few days off the program and just walk, or if you need to repeat weeks, then do it. I had off and on sore knees my first winter of running and taking it easy when I needed to allowed me to run my first half marathon the following May. I was somewhat undertrained for it, but better than being injured and unable to run.

Helen, I think Lucozade is a UK thing. Here, we have gatorade, powerade, and I think a couple of others. Most races use gatorade, so that's what I'd buy to train with if I wanted to use it. So far I've been going with the theory that running without carbs on your long run will help teach your body to burn more fat rather than relying on constant top-ups of sugar. I think I'll try a couple of gels on one run though, because it will probably be a good idea to have the extra fuel on race day if I can stomach them.

I've been really busy the last couple of days dealing with a few minor disasters in my life. Including cleaning up a small flood in a rental house we manage. Which of course happened a couple of days after the tenants moved out and left the place a complete mess. So between cleaning, mopping up water, tearing up flooring, carrying away furniture and assorted crap left behind, my body is totally sore and tired. And let me know this morning when the run I went out for quickly turned into a walk/run since everytime I got going at a comfortable pace (which was slower than usual anyway) my lower back started aching until it got so painful that I had to stop and walk. It was very frustrating, but character building I'm sure. And I did finish 11.4k even if it was much slower than usual.

AnneWonders
06-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Pachy, I'm a little less conservative about running with pain. I'll do it. If I sat out every little twinge I'd never run (kinda sounds like my plan now anyway!) BUT, BUT, BUT, if the pain doesn't go away after a couple of days, get worse with another run, or is sudden and sickeningly sharp, back off!! And I agree complete with webweevil and only me--if you push yourself too hard, your muscles will not be able to protect your body and you can really hurt yourself.

One other thing to bear in mind that I learned the hard way--in addition to training your aerobic and anaerobic systems and your running musculature, your skeletal system needs to be trained. Changes (good ones) occur in your joints, ligaments and bones with time. Your muscles and energy systems can handle a long distance run before your joints and bones really can. I learned this the hard way with a stress fracture two weeks before my first marathon. So build slow, 10% per week max, and take your time. Repeat a week or two if you need to.

Anne

jemmama
06-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi! I read a post a while back written by someone who ran their first race. It was really inspiring and I would love to find it again, but can't. The part I remember most was when she crossed the finish line and declared, "I am an athlete!" I loved it! Can someone repost that, maybe, or tell me how to find it? I tried searching but that didn't help.

I had my own little victory today - I've never been a runner or any kind of athlete, but today I was able to run continuously around my block, 10 minutes, without stopping. I wouldn't have told you that was possible 18 months ago. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but don't let anyone tell you that an old dog can't learn new tricks. I'm 50 and look and feel better than I did at 30.

jemmama

softballmom
06-23-2006, 03:40 PM
And you've come a long way! Looks like you are at goal now - Congratulations! I'm 41 and already look and feel better than I did when I turned 40. Can't wait until I can say I look and feel better than 30!

I think age gives us a little advantage that we didn't have a decade or two ago! Wisdom.

And WTG on the 10 minute jog. I stand amazed. I'm fussing about 90 seconds that I'm doing as part of a C25K program. You go girl.

jemmama
06-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Softballmom, thanks! I've been hovering around my goal for a while and it's wonderful. I have to maintain, or I'll have NOTHING TO WEAR, since I got rid of my bigger clothes :-D

Hey, your numbers are very similar to mine. Though the only way I'd ever get to 115 would be by multiple organ donation. You're doing great - keep it up!

I've been doing cardio exercise for a year now. That has made it possible for me to run. If I can do this, I know anyone can.

jemmama

iowasteph2
06-23-2006, 04:56 PM
I also just went out and had a blast. I had planned on jogging the entire distance, but I realized as soon as I stepped out of my door, that running at 2:30pm isn't a smart idea! So, I jogged/walked 5 miles. What I did was run for the length of one song on my MP3 player and then I walked for the length of the next song. I did that for the entire 5 miles. It was fun, but I shouldn't have done it during the middle of the day. Doing the 5 miles only took me 62 minutes!!

YP1
06-24-2006, 05:47 AM
I did 7 miles a bit faster than marathon pace this morning on the :tread:. It felt quite good although my hip was a bit sore as soon as I stopped and started walking to cooldown, even though it was fine as I ran. 14 miles tomorrow, in theory!

midwife
06-24-2006, 05:02 PM
3.5 miles today. Yippie!!

YP1
06-25-2006, 05:50 AM
Woo hoo! The 14 miler today went so much better than last Sunday's 12 miles. It was either the lucozade, the increased quantities of carbs I ate yesterday in preparation or the fact that I made a real effort to slow my pace down, but I ran almost all of it - just one planned walk up a steep but short hill and a bit of a walk after 11 miles to walk off a bit of hip pain before I ran the rest. I actually got to the end feeling like I could have gone further which is good considering it was my longest run ever! I'm feeling far happier about my running this weekend, fingers crossed I can keep it up!

suspendagirl
06-25-2006, 07:03 AM
Hi! I just started the C25K program. I made this morning my first day. I am SUPER excited. I've always been a walker of a sort, and I've got this image of the perfect moment, like the NIKE commercials of the girl with her hair blowing in the wind, running down the highway, you know what I mean?
I've delayed even trying to start training to run, excuses and such. I decided that I was far too big to be a runner. Then I stumbled upon this thread, then the Cool Running site, then the C25K thing, and I decided that excuses are lame, and that I can do anything I want to do.
I guess I just wanted to say hello and make my presence known...:carrot:

Only Me
06-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Welcome, suspendagirl.

Great job Helen! Hitting new distances is such a neat milestone. I did have to accept that I had to slow down the long runs slightly as I got into longer distances.

Today must be a good day for long runs. After deciding at 6am yesterday that sleep was more important than running, I went to bed early last night and forced my self out of bed at sunrise this morning. That's 4:50am around here. I went out at about 5:10 and started running 30km was on the schedule for this morning. My last run though, was Friday's terrible 11km, so I told myself I'd re-evaluate after 5km and change plans if needed. I felt great though, and ended up deciding to just run 32k/20 miles and get that hurdle over with. I ran a nicely flat bike path along the river out past a beautiful waterfall. Only 3 brief stops, one for a portapotty and 2 at water fountains to refill my water bottle.

Ilene
06-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Great milestones YP! and Only Me!!

I was up early too, but not as early as I wanted to be, but I ran 8.73k, went well only took me 1:02, which is good for me... I ate too many carbs yesterday too so maybe that's why it went so well... It's gonna be a hot one today! I love heat when I don't have to run in it!

AnneWonders
06-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Ilene, too many carbs makes for great runs! Great job on the long runs, Helen and Only Me.

I got out this morning. 3 miles, 45 min pushing the baby jogger. It was hard, but good. Finally starting to feel better.

Anne

YP1
06-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Definitely, I've decided that until October there's no such thing as too many carbs as long as they're good ones!

Ilene
06-25-2006, 02:25 PM
My carbs yesterday consisted of Chineese food, crackers, cheese, pizza and beer :faint: Are they good?? Don't answer Helen, I know the answer to that one :lol: ....

Lekker
06-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Hope no one minds if I join in! I'm pretty excited about improving on this one individual cardio activity that I truly enjoy.

I started running about 20 pounds ago ... time-wise that was about 6 months ago (yeah, weightloss has been *really* slow lately). I've trained extremely slowly - I've been cautious because I still carry so much extra weight; I didn't want to cause harm to my body and joints. I've also had a couple periods where I took 2-3 weeks off of running because I was feeling not 100% in my knees or hips. I've been really conservative about that. I've also only run on a treadmill - I think I'm still a little shy about running outdoors, and I will admit that is because I still look *far* from what an athletic person should look like. Silly, I know, but I guess I feel vulnerable to comments from people "outside." I don't want to lose motivation because I hear something that bothers me.

Anyway, I'm very proud because I ran for 28 minutes straight the other day and yesterday I did 35 minutes total (but split 10 minutes on, 1 minute off). I'm quite slow at 4.6 mph, but still I'm excited!

It amazes me what my body is now capable of. Six months ago, running for 1 minute seemed like such a *long* and excruciatingly painful time. It is incomprehensible to me that now I can go for at least a half hour and still be capable of carrying on a conversation. It boggles my mind that I'm at this stage! I've always wanted to be a runner, but being so overweight for my entire life, I thought it was just a pipe dream. Finally one day I just started. I thought, if I wait until I lose weight to run, I'll never run. It was difficult to stay motivated in the beginning because it was so tough, but then that 1 minute turned into 2, then 3, then 4 and up to 10 minutes and now 28 minutes straight?! I'm ecstatic.

Now, I have a question for some of you experienced runners...should I focus more on increasing time, or should I try to increase speed (as you saw, I'm not the fastest)? I'm leaning towards increasing time/distance - I typically train now where I'll run 10 minutes on, 1 off (even though I can run longer than 10 minutes). I only run 2-3 times/week - this is again because I don't want to put too much pressure on my body with higher intensity cardio. My other cardio is either biking or the cross-trainer. I play floor hockey as well and there I have short bursts of speed - so I was thinking that might be good enough now for working on speed. Actually, I'm not sure that speed is that important to me, it's just that so often when I see speed charts and things that approximate calories burnt, the slowest speed they list is 5mph, so I get the impression that I'm just toddling along...

Thanks!

softballmom
06-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Welcome Lekker and Suspendagirl!

Wow, 28 minutes Lekker. I'm impressed! I'm currently doing the Couch to 5K program from Cool Running. It will be Week 3 for me next week which includes a three minute run segment and I'm gearing myself up for that.

I finished up week 2 of the C25K today. It was much easier than the previous days from this week. I actually ended with a 3 minute segment that, while harder, was not difficult. I actually impressed myself, and found that my head games are my weakness. Now that I know this I will work on positive thinking.

I do have a question for running in the heat. Yesterday at the ballpark with our girls tying those gel wraps around their necks for cool and comfort, I thought what an idea for me when I am running in the 90 degree heat. Do any of you find that that would be a problem? I like going out right after work since I'm not an early person and once I get home I tend to get busy. I carry my water bottle, but would a cool neck wrap help or hurt? I'm thinking for the long haul when I start doing 5Ks and etc. Don't want to get use to something that won't benefit later. I also noticed you guys discussing fluid replacement drinks while training. Could you give some more detail on that for me to tuck into a brain cell for later when I'm ready to use it? Thanks..

Ilene
06-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Welcome Lekker and Suspendagirl ... I love newbies to running :dance: !

softballmom -- I've never heard of a cool neck wrap, so I have no idea if it would help or hinder...

Lekker -- I would think that doing both speed and length work would benefit... I love doing speed work and consider it HIIT (high intensity interval training) specially on a tread mill.... I'll warm up for 5 mins... then do a light jog of whatever feels comfortable for a minute then bring it up to another speed for a minute then bring it back down to a jog again. When I first started I would jog at let say 4.5mph then run at 5mph, then jog at 4.7mph and run at 5.1, and bring it slightly up every minute... These days on the treadmill a jog for me is 5mph and a full out run is 6 to 7mph... I can never run that fast outside for some reason... I like to do my long runs outside early in the morning, and I guarantee you that if anyone sees you out early in the morning jogging, they will NOT comment ... they will only have admiration on your dedication to the sport...

webweevil
06-26-2006, 06:43 AM
I guarantee you that if anyone sees you out early in the morning jogging, they will NOT comment ... they will only have admiration on your dedication to the sport...

Nice way of thinking Ilene. I'll have to remember that the next time I hesitate to exercise outside.

2frustrated
06-26-2006, 07:40 AM
:wave:

Half-Marathon Training has OFFICIALLY STARTED :faint: I did a mile and a half this morning! :rofl: I thought it was 3, but I obviously grossly underestimated! :rofl: Never mind, I'll do better next time, promise!

Off to the gym for the heavy stuff now, the kickboxing later! Next run Weds AM!

Oh and as for running in the morning, this morning was the first time I've ever got out of bed early enough to exercise before breakfast! I am SO hungry now! There were some dedicated dog walkers and some other joggers about, and I always think "respect to them, I could never do that" when I see people jogging in the morning. Well I did it today - I feel annoyingly peppy! :hyper:

softballmom
06-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Ilene (et al.) My dd's softball team uses these little neck wraps which are sewn up like a thin tube with some type of gel substance in the middle. When they are soaked in cold water they expand and stay cool for quite a while. My daughter loves catching and she especially likes the wrap as they keep her cool under all the gear.

It was just a lightbulb moment when I was running yesterday morning that they may work to keep me cool. The temps were better, around 80 degrees, but the humidity was very high. I just don't want to get used to using if they would become a nuisance during a race, etc.

Lekker
06-26-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the words of welcome, everyone!

This morning I got up for a run (on the treadmill) and I did 3.5 miles total at 4.7mph (about 6 minutes of that was walking)! I will probably do my next run on Wednesday or Friday. I've been finding it easiest to run in the morning before I have breakfast (or at least on a really empty stomach). Another girl was in the exercise room with me this morning (there's one in our apartment building) and she was really chatty, so I was conversing for the last 15 minutes while running. :)

Ilene - thanks for the input...maybe once a week I will try to do some speed training. :)

Only Me
06-26-2006, 02:10 PM
softballmom, I'm not sure if neck wraps would stay in place without chaffing or being annoying. If you can get some easily enough, it's probably worth trying. Anything to make the heat more comfortable. Some races do give out wet sponges though, and I've thought about bringing a sponge with me on really hot days and wiping down my head and neck with cold water when I pass a water fountain.

2frustrated, great job on getting up this morning. Sorry about the distance mix up. :lol

I'm heading out for an easy 30-40 minutes soon before picking up my older kids from day camp. The 2 year old cried when we left the camp without her sister, but she seems to have adjusted.

Edit to add: About 35 minutes/6km done!

iowasteph2
06-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Softballmom, I was also thinking that the neck wraps might be hard to keep in place. The heat sure has been unbearable a few days here, though, so I wouldn't be against trying it. I have a hard time running holding onto anything though. I even have a problem with holding a water bottle. I don't know why--just makes me feel lopsided or something. I must get over that though, or it will be a very, very long summer!

Do any of you belong to running groups in your cities? I'm tempted to join one, but I'm afraid that they will be far more advanced than me. Any thoughts? I don't know anyone who belongs to it, so I don't know who to ask for details. Quite honestly, my husband and I moved here about 3 years ago, and I can pretty much say that I haven't met any friends. DH works with a lot of people his age, and I've met some people through him and his work, but no one that I can legitimately say our friends of mine. Sometimes it makes me sad, so I'm trying to come up with various methods of meeting new people!

Lekker--I really like to mix it up quite a bit. I like to run intervals some days, and some days just go on longer, easier runs. I'm a prisoner to my MP3 player....some days I'll do intervals by running as quickly as I can during the chorus of the songs and slow it done during the versus. Other days, I'll walk one song, then jog the next, etc. I have self-diagnosed exercise-ADD...I'll get bored if I don't switch it up quite frequently.

Ilene, you're so right about exercising in the morning. Also, it seems like some of the nicest people are out early.

YP1
06-26-2006, 05:04 PM
iowasteph - so I don't feel as lopsided with my water bottle I usually change hands after every track on my MP3 player. Then at least I'm working both arms vaguely equally, and it kind of keeps me focussed because I'm switching it over quite often rather than "just" running.

I haven't joined a running club. I emailed one about joining, but haven't got round to doing it. Partly I still think I'd be too slow (even though I wouldn't be, the bloke I emailed said that about 70% would be faster than me, but with some about the same and some slower). The main reason though is just that the times don't suit me - they meet at 6.30 on Tuesdays, and it's rare I get out of work and back in the right part of town by then, and I prefer running in the morning anyway. If I don't run on a Tuesday morning and don't get out of work on time I might end up skipping the run, but if I do run on a Tuesday morning I might be too tired to run the club run too. I had the same problem with a running group I used to go out with - they ran at 6.15 on a tuesday (tuesday is running night round here!), but I'd always get delayed at work and miss them.

I love running early in the morning, it's so much quieter and nearly everyone out there is doing something healthy. You get a lot of smiles and hellos.

No run today, it was my cross training day, but back in the saddle for 4 miles tomorrow.

skinnyjeans
06-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Hello everyone! Welcome Newbies, keep up the good work Softballmom!

Weekend was great. I finished my 10k race and was pleased that I was able to run the whole thing fairly easily. I was a little worried when I showed up and found out the course was hilly. Hills! What are hills? Around here my runs are flat as a pancake. Luckily all the big uphills were at the beginning of the race, with one in the middle so by the time I was tired it was a pretty easy course.

I got up and ran this morning again. I do love running in the mornings... I just hate the getting out of bed part. We have had a couple of pleasant days, but the humidity is going to start climbing again.

Hope everyone has a good week.

iowasteph2
06-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Helen, thanks for the info on your experience with running groups. I live in a college town, so my big fear is that everyone will be 20 years old, svelt, and speedy! I guess I won't know if I don't try (as I shrug my shoulders). Good idea on switching hands with your water bottle. How many ounces of water do you usually carry with you?

I did a nice 3 mile run tonight at nearly sunset. It was a great, invigorating running towards the sunset. It almost like a running dream or something from a movie. Now I know what Rocky felt like when he was running those stairs in the movie. Anyone remember that?!

Skinnyjeans, congrats on the 10k. I wish we had more 10k's around here. I've searched and searched, and I only came up with one in September.

Have a good night, and happy running!

webweevil
06-27-2006, 08:27 AM
I live in a college town, so my big fear is that everyone will be 20 years old, svelt, and speedy! I guess I won't know if I don't try (as I shrug my shoulders).

I know how you feel. I also live in a college town. I see plenty of 20 year olds running daily - bouncing around like some gazelle. All those skinny perfect looking bodies. It makes me want to yell out "Eat something why don't you. Shouldn't you be at some keg party?" :devil: Darn them, making us normal people look bad. ;)

Lucky13
06-27-2006, 01:00 PM
I got in 6 miles in just under 54 minutes last night - woohoo - that's my longest continuous run in about 3 months! Maybe i'll go for 7 this weekend :)

YP1
06-27-2006, 02:39 PM
iowasteph - I have no idea how many ounces I carry with me :dizzy: It's 500ml if anyone know how that converts...

I did a good 40 minute spell on the treadmill, covering 7.6k. Tomorrow is a 7 miler, I've got a support for my knee which I'm going to try out. I improvised today with an old tubigrip from when I broke my ankle (which was about the size then that my knee is now), it seemed to help so I went and bought a proper one at lunchtime. Fingers crossed sorting my knee out will also help my hip, it's been far better today than normal. They're never bad enough to stop me running, just a bit niggly. If I can keep going til the end of next week I'm taking a week off for my holiday anyway so they'll get a bit of time to heal up and rest.

AnneWonders
06-27-2006, 09:51 PM
I look SO MUCH BETTER than I did in college. How many of them will be able to say that? Hmmm. And FWIW, I think anybody running looks awesome!

Finally!!! I got out this morning, just me, did a nice training run, 3 miles, 40 min, very disciplined 4:1 run/walk intervals. Felt great. Hot, at 5:30 am, but great. About 12min/mile pace on the running segments.

Another aquathlon tomorrow. Let's see if the 2 days of training this week pay off.

Anne

midwife
06-28-2006, 08:32 AM
REST DAYS!! Do you have them? How many per week? Do you just rest from running, or from all cardio?

Thanks!!

2frustrated
06-28-2006, 08:34 AM
:wave: :D I did 2 miles :lol: In 24 minutes, not bad, considering I only ran a few minutes and the rest was fast walking. Me no like the :tread: dreadmill! :no: It seems somehow that I can't get into the stride that I want, so I'm either too fast or too slow, a speed that seems fast on the display feels slow, but anything faster is too fast :tantrum: Also, it's SO boring, I tried watching the TV but it didn't help. Although there was a :cool: Right Said Fred music video on :rofl: Those guys were so screamin :yikes: But I loved them anyway! Ah 9 year old crushes :love:

Oooh and the display reckoned I burned 250 calories off! :D Enough to compensate a little bit of my meal out tonight :D

I rest completely on Sunday ie trying to stay in bed sleeping! I run every other day, put my weights into 4 day splits so that muscle groups get a whole week to repair, and I kickbox every other day (alternate with running ISH). So a bit of both!

AnneWonders
06-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi midwife, I take at least one rest day a week, sometimes two. Ideally, I swim, run and bike each twice a week during tri season with more running and less swimming and biking in the off season. Sometimes I double up (bike to the pool and back, run in the a.m. and swim p.m, although less so these days due to time constraints. I also do a long run (>1.5hr) and a long bike (> 2.5-3 hr) on weekends. Before DD I also used to strength train twice a week on one of my easy days, but these days that's gone.

2F, I hate the treadmill too. The only thing I can ever do to keep myself interested is to run ladders on it, start real slow, and step the speed up every couple minutes until I think I'm about to die and then step it back down. I'm far too uncoordinated to even think about watching TV since I'm afraid I'd be splatted on the back wall in about half a second. If anybody knows anything good, please post! I have some business travel later this month and that usually means hotel treadmill.

Anne

YP1
06-28-2006, 02:05 PM
7.6 miles this morning, in 70 minutes. Slower than last week, but I ran harder yesterday than I did on Tuesday last week.

Rest days - at the moment I run 5 days, cross train 1 day and rest 1 day. I run Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday and cross train on Monday. Friday is my rest day, before the weekend because it's harder, and it also works for me because I have an evening class on a Thursday and it's a killer to get in late then get up in the morning to exercise. To be honest, for general fitness I'd rather run 4 days and weight train more, but at the moment I'm focussed on marathon training which means I run more and do other stuff less.

Lucky13
06-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Did 3.5mi in 31 minutes this morning...DH and I are 'toying' with the idea of a marathon...it is in December in Dallas...I think I will be able to do it because I've done 2 half marathons...I just can't seem to get over the 'mental hump' of 13.1 miles! That is the furthest I have ever run and I have yet to surpass it...

According to my training plan, I'm scheduled to surpass that 'hump' in October with a 15 mi race...

I remember how hard it is to finish a half...and then do twice that amount? my mind does not like that! But, i know I can do it :)

YP1
06-28-2006, 03:53 PM
If you can train for it you can definitely do it! I've only done one run over 13.1 miles (last Sunday), but I've built up to it steadily, and it was surprisingly doable. I'm just hoping the same goes for the rest of marathon training!

skinnyjeans
06-28-2006, 05:21 PM
I agree that your mind tries to talk you out of running longer distances. 26 miles seems unbelievable to me also. The longest I have run yet is 10. But I'll be running it before I know!

Right now I am running 4 days a week, cross-training 2 of my off days (and 2 of my running days) and taking one day off totally. My off day is Sunday because Saturday is my big day and I wold be too tired to really do anything.
Today is a cross-train day and I have my first Yoga class. Should be interesting.

The holiday weekend is coming up. Woohoo! Not going anywhere. Not doing anything (other then regular workouts of course). Should be fun! Tonight is supposed to be the Detroit/Windsor fireworks, we co-celebrate Independence Day with those Crazy Canadians. But it is supposed to storm so I will be staying warm and dry. Thank you very much.

Only Me
06-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Today I managed a 16km run at marathon pace in the rain. At least the rain kept me cool since the temperature was in the low 20sC (around 70F) and it is incredibly humid today whenever the rain stops. My marathon pace runs won't be getting any longer between now and the big day, and the pace doesn't feel too difficult at least not for 16km.

I've never done any treadmill running, although I sometimes fantasize about it while running in the winter at -30.

Emily, if you've already run 2 halfs, and you follow a decent training schedule, you should be ready by December. It's not as hard as I thought it would be to increase distance beyond 13.1 miles; at least it's not difficult when it's done at a comfortable pace.

I run 5 days a week, at least I plan to, although sometimes gets in the way. On my rest days I might do some exercise like walking, bike riding with the kids (I pull the younger two in a trailer), or skating or sledding in the winter, or I might take a completely lazy day, depending on what's going on in life.

AnneWonders
06-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Emily, one of my strongest memories from my marathon was running at about 23 miles and thinking "Holy @#$% I'm still running!" And I felt really good. This memory now gets me through a lot of rough spots. Your body can do more than your brain thinks. Not that it is good to go for a marathon unprepared or anything, but you can do it, you'll be prepared. It is a leap of faith to trust a training plan the first time around, but they really do work, even if you don't get it perfect. My longest run for that marathon was an unmitigated disaster. You can do it. You've done the half, you'll do the work. It is a life-changing experience, and worth it.

Anne

Edited to add: Did my aquathlon tonight. Swim was about the same but I took more than 2 minutes off my run time. It is still a pretty lousy 5K at 39 minutes and change, but I'll take it. My 5K PR is just a touch over 30 min.

YP1
06-29-2006, 02:18 AM
I've just been out for 4.4 miles, it's a lovely morning for running today and summer seems to be coming back. Yay! I'm off exercise now til Saturday, making the most of that rest day (it's more like 47 hours usually which is a nice long break!)

Only Me
06-29-2006, 08:09 AM
I was out for an easy run, around 7-8km, this morning. It was 19C, but 95% humidity without raining, so the air was somewhat soup like. 2 months ago I didn't think it was possible to miss those gale force type winds we get every spring and fall.

Good job on the aquathon Anne! Your running times will get back to what they used to be with time. I felt like I did a reverse aquathon on the weekend since I followed up my long run with taking my 2 year old to her swim class. It's been a few years since I swam for exercise though. When I was in university, access to the pool was part of our student fees and a short walk from where I was living, so I would swim laps a couple of times a week then.

midwife
06-29-2006, 08:51 AM
Ran 5 miles today. Thanks for the input re: rest days. I ran Tues am and then nothing on Wed and it was the longest day of my life. I felt fat clumping all over my body. I know that it is my mind playing games and that it is OK if I do not exercise every day...I just felt really off all day.

skinnyjeans
06-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Look out everyone! Sounds like Midwife is getting addicted to running.

I used to feel fat and lazy on my rest days also, but now I just feel tired.

YP1
06-30-2006, 01:49 AM
I didn't have rest days for a long time, I'd just do different types of exercise every day. Not I've realised that I'm not going to put 100lb on overnight just because I don't work out I really enjoy them! My lie in on a Friday morning signals the beginning of the weekend to me!

midwife
06-30-2006, 10:56 AM
I guess I am afraid that one day is going to turn into two and then 3 and then 6 months!! (I tend to exaggerate my worries!)

I stubbed my toe dreadfully last night at kick cardio. Today is it bruised and stiff. I will do 35 minutes on the elliptical and maybe run later tonight, if it feels better.

softballmom
06-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi Midwife, I have the same fear that if I let one day go I will slide back down the exercise slide. I've been forcing myself to do something for a minimum of 30 minutes each day in order to keep the routine in check. The only "rest" days I have is an occasional misstep due to schedules, and I have to work real hard in the head the next day. Same thing with my meals - which is good, I guess, but then I fear that I won't have the fear when I start maintaining and living life as an active, healthy person. Go figure!
And by the way, hope the toe heals up nicely for you.

Lekker
06-30-2006, 10:25 PM
You all impress me very much with your running! I chuckle, though, I take several rest days from running, but all you that run most days are my goal! :)

Today I ran 2.5 miles (4km) in about 35 min., which is not as far as I could do on Monday. On Monday I went 3.5 miles (5.5km) in 45 min., but it was in the morning, and I seem better in the morning. Plus, I had floor hockey last night (a very intense, agressive game - seriously there was blood - in a rec league!) and the intensity/impact from that wears a bit at this point. But I can't believe that I ran more than 5k on Monday! I can actually complete a 5k race! Will wonders never cease? :) Perhaps I will be confident enough to sign up for one later this summer - it'd be neat to do an 'official' 5k. A friend (who's marathon training) wants to get me out for a Friendly Run at the Running Room later in July, so for sure by then I'll make it to running outdoors and out of the comfort zone of my treadmill.

midwife
06-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks, Softballmom. Sigh. We were running laps to warm up and I stumbled and fell flat on my face. I doubt I will ever be very graceful! It is better tonight. I limited myself to elliptical today. Tomorrow I have a 6.5 mile run mapped out. Wish me luck!! Even better, wish that I can find a clean sports bra! Haha!

Lekker, go for a 5K race. It does wonders to boost the old confidence!!

YP1
07-01-2006, 03:16 AM
I've just been out for 7 miles nice and early on a Saturday morning, I'm going to be spending most of the day driving down to London and back so I wanted to make sure I got my run in before I set off. 15 miles tomorrow!

midwife
07-01-2006, 09:28 AM
6.6 mile run plus .4 mile walk/cooldown. I have never run that far in my entire life before!!

Sheila53
07-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Okay, I signed up for a July 4 5K run--my first 5K ever. I'm rather nervous about it, mainly because I don't want to be last. Any encouragement greatly appreciated! :)

Only Me
07-01-2006, 04:19 PM
I escaped the rain this morning. I got home less than 5 minutes before it started though. It was nice and cool and windless this morning. I ran just over 11k at an easy pace.

Helen, I think our schedules have synced for the weekend. I ran just under 7 miles today and am aiming for about 24k/15miles tomorrow.

midwife, great job on hitting a new distance.

Sheila, good luck with your 5k. I'm sure you'll do great.

Lekker, you can do a 5k. Starting out with a friendly run sounds like a good idea too.

YP1
07-02-2006, 05:56 AM
Only Me - how did you go? I ended up doing 15.5 miles in the end. I went quite slowly because it was HOT out there and I didn't want to overdo it, but I got round in one piece and I'm pretty pleased with how I ran. I walked a couple of times after 12 miles, but I ran the first 12 miles straight which I was really pleased with (when I set out it was so warm I was considering taking a walk break each mile). I wish I could have got out earlier, but I only got in at midnight last night so getting out at 7.30 on Sunday morning was still quite an achievement!

Only Me
07-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Helen, good for you for getting out there in the heat. Slow is good for long runs. They're there for the endurance anyway. The marathon pace runs, intervals and tempo runs are for speed.

It was absolutely pouring rain, windy and only 12C, which feels nice and warm in March, but rather cold in July. 4k into the run, absolutely soaked and running into the wind, I decided it just wasn't worth it and headed home. My cutback week long run turned into a short run I guess. Maybe I'll get up early tomorrow and do it then, or maybe I'll just let it go. Last week was my biggest ever with about 73km/46 miles running, plus biking the kids back and forth to camp every day.

iowasteph2
07-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Hello, everybody!! It seems like a while since I've last posted! Woops!

sheila, it is quite doubtful that you will be the last, and even if you are, no one would ever notice! Trust me! I was so fearful that I would be the last person when I ran my first 5k. I was new to running, and I had no clue how races usually go. I started way at the back of the back, only to realize once the race started, that most of those people were actually walkers!! So, I had to weave in and out of a ton of people! It's hard to guesstimate where to start in the pack, but don't do like I did!

For those who train listening to music--do you also run races with music? Also, do you find the cord to your headphones to be incredibly long? I end up having to wrap it around my MP3 player a number of times. Do they make short cords?

I plan on running a 4th of July race on Tuesday. There's a 4k and a 4 mile. Truth be told, I'm feeling like the 4k sounds better....it's been so hot that it's been hard to properly train, and I've only done one other race (5k).

You know what else, I was searching different races in my area, and I found a site that listed times. I saw 2 of my cousins' names, and they had good times!! I'm very competitive, so now I know that I must go faster! lol

Lucky13
07-03-2006, 10:10 AM
I got in 7 miles in 65 minutes...I was pretty pleased with that considering I'm still trying to get my mileage up again.

I've got another 7 on task for this weekend :)

Have a great week!

Lekker
07-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Yesterday I got in 5.6 k (on the treadmill). It was in the evening, so I had to push it a bit at the end. Besides that, I've been trying to get in a lot of biking. I'm trying to make it a rule to not use my car at all on weekends.

Hope everyone is having a lovely long weekend!

midwife
07-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Iowasteph, I hear you about the competitiveness! Haha!!
I am still sore from my 6.6 mile run Sat (plus the 3 martial arts classes I did that same day!).

I am training with music. I also run with my large dog to deter wackos. My running shorts have pockets so I just stick the iPod in there and the cord doesn't bother me. Most of the races I am aware of ban music. Which worries me somewhat, because one of the reasons I can go so far is that the music keeps me from getting terribly bored.

YP1
07-04-2006, 02:20 AM
4.4 miles this morning. The training's ticking over nicely, although I'm not enjoying it as much as I used to, sometimes it's a bit more of a chore to get up, but I'm still doing it which is the important thing!

Ilene
07-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Closing this thread, see you in the July Cool Runners :wave: