Alternachicks - Alternachicks at the movies!

View Full Version : Alternachicks at the movies!

mauvaisroux
06-01-2006, 09:37 AM
We watched Final Fantasy 7 last night. It was very good and the animation was amazing. :)

mauvaisroux
06-02-2006, 11:11 AM
We watched Hollywood Homicide last night- it was much better than I thought it would be and there were some scenes with Harrison Ford where I laughed my butt off. :)

ajandpj99
06-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Been falling behind on my movie reviews - I know how dissappointed you must all be ;) .

The last movie we saw that sticks in my mind was Hostel. All I can say is yawn.

For a movie touted as the scariest movie ever :?: - I feel more fear that the scale wont move this month. Besides having a very slow beginning and a fairly lame ending - what gory horror there was, was just showy and not freaky.

Fun with Dick and Jane was cute and funny. :D

Herbie fully loaded - ok, this movie just proves what a sentimental dork I am - now it was that time of the month, but here I was watching a movie about a possessed volkswagon and I was moved to tears more than once. I think Disney must put subliminal msgs in their movies. LOL:D
Very sweet movie and I suspect Herbies popularity over the years is one reason for the new pixar film Cars - there is even a scene in the preview of cars that is the exact same scene from Herbies new movie.

Four Brothers was a drama, action type movie that a bit of a slow start but turned out to be a really good drama about family and community and how one person can make such a difference.

Deuce Bigilow European Gigilo - if you found the first funny in its own way - you will like this one - of course if you get past the bizarre humor base - it does have a msg about what women really want in a man vs what men think we want.

That is it for now.

mauvaisroux
06-03-2006, 10:52 PM
I enjoyed Four Brothers too! :)

We finally watched Layer Cake tonight and really enjoyed it.

lizziness
06-04-2006, 04:11 AM
Watched Transamerica tonight. It was just really great. I was surprised that it was as funny as it was, I guess I was expecting it to be serious and more drama. It was well rounded and funny and sad and everything in between. I definately recommend this one.

mauvaisroux
06-06-2006, 01:21 PM
That sounds good - Transamerica is on my list of "too sees" :)

ajandpj99
06-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Watched March of the Penguins - documentary - love story - This was really interesting and informative as well as very entertaining and touching. Narrated by Morgan Freeman.

The Descent - another rip off of The Core basically- but not as good. Meh.

X-Men the last stand - DH liked because was short only 1:45. Personally I thought they went too fast and didnt spend enough time personalizing the characters the way they did in the past - so you couldnt get in touch with them. It was entertaining I suppose and great effects but I was dissappointed overall. Doesnt mean I wouldnt watch it again if it was on TV - but I doubt I would pay to see it again. It really seemed to be all about the effects instead the characters.

squeaker
06-07-2006, 04:46 PM
I loved March of the Penguins!

I saw X-Men Last Stand. I liked it. I didn't love it like the last two. I agree with ajandpj - not enough character development. But fun.

I also watched Mrs. Henderson Presents. I loved it. It was great fun.

lizziness
06-12-2006, 03:44 AM
okay, so i'm about 10 years late, but i finally watched "Fargo" for the first time tonight. Wasn't at all what I was expecting, but it was very good. I loved listening to them talk. My extended family is from there and it was weird to hear phrases I only knew my family to say. Darn Tootin. :)

Tried to watch the Producers, and only made it about 10 minutes in to it. I just don't like Nathan Lane, a little goes a long way. a lot is just too much. Hubby likes him and he couldn't even stand to watch any more of it.

squeaker
06-12-2006, 06:47 AM
I watched 50 First Dates. I normally don't like Adam Sandler much, but as silly as it was I enjoyed the movie. It was really rather cute.

ajandpj99
06-12-2006, 11:37 AM
We watched the Island this weekend - Ewen McGregor - yummy - anyway - it was pretty good at the beginning for action and plot but toward the end started getting predictable - I did enjoy it, and the effects were really good especially the camera work, but DH seem bored and kept getting up and missing parts. So it depends on your tastes.

lizziness
06-13-2006, 05:19 PM
pj - we thought the same. we wanted to like it, but they made it very hard. and we looove ewan mcgregor.
we'll have to try the core. i loved descent.

have been addicted to a new tv show. Huff. Am almost through the first season. so good.

ajandpj99
06-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Oh man, if you liked Descent - you will love The Core. Far better effects, more realistic science and much much better acting. Very Emotional and still had its funny parts. Make sure you get The Core with Hilary Swank and not Deep Core with 2 Star Trek actors in the main roles. Deep Core I think was the first draft and went straight to tv. the plot is very similar but not as believable tech wise.

We also saw 11:14 that I assumed would be a rip off of Crash - but this movie was a trip. You have to see it and you cant miss a moment because each time the focus changes from 1 characture to another, they go back in time 15-30 mins. You just have to see it. It was cool.

lizziness
06-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Put the Core in my Queue to watch. It didn't rate it very high on Netflix but we'll see.

Had some pretty horrible shows this weekend. First, we watched an episode off the disc for Five Mile Creek a disney show placed in Austrailia from 1983. I swear I remember loving it when I was a little kid. It sucked. A lot. I was sad.

Then hubby picked out an anime called A Tree of Palme, which he read a review of being "as good as Princess monanoke" and "an independant take on Pinochio" let me tell you it was neither of these things. The dubbing was terrible, the story was almost non-existant and very chaotic, and it was 2 hours and 15 minutes long! totally confusing and when we were done we just wanted our two hours and 15 minutes back.

lizziness
06-29-2006, 10:58 PM
watched Howl's moving castle, which was just great. very good animation and entertainment. made by the same folks as spirited away and kiki's delivery service and the like. It was very good. I still think Spirited Away is my favorite, but it's still really good.

ajandpj99
07-03-2006, 01:25 PM
We tried to watch King Kong (remake) this weekend and neither of us thought it was worth staying awake for. It did have excellent special effects but it was too Jurrasic Park and also a bit cartoonish - and to add insult to injury it was over 3 hrs long. All my husband could say was he felt sorry for anyone that sat through it at the theater.

I am all for grandious effects and larger than life characters - but when most of the people survive a stampede of Brachiasauruses (spelling) you have to wonder what the director/writer was on when he wrote the scene. If, however, the point was to spoof the original and make a comedy where lots of people die but the show must go on - then they did a great job.

mauvaisroux
07-03-2006, 02:23 PM
aj- love your review :rofl:

We watched a movie called Trauma last night starring Mena Suvari and Colin Firth. Meh :dunno: It was slow, had a somewhat convoluted plot and never seemed to be going anywhere - I was glad when if finally ended. :p

ajandpj99
07-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Watched History of Violence last night with Viggo Moritson and Ed Harris. Slow start, graphic(this was only good thing), a tad confusing at times, overall a bit dull and the ending left me wanting - wanting the last 2 hrs back. LOL

DH said he hoped this movie hadnt won any awards and apologized for making me hold it till he could watch (BBonline DVD).:p

lizziness
07-05-2006, 11:28 PM
I felt the same way about that movie. Hubby and his brother just loooooooved it though. I still don't know why.

lizziness
07-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Watched an older movie - I am the cheese. I rented it because it's based on the book, by Robert Cormier and I read that book like 4 times when I was in Jr High/ High School. Mostly because I had a hard time understanding it. *L* I am glad I watched it it's a bit slow and honestly some parts I just fast forwarded through because they were too slow. But it was pretty good and it helped me to finaly understand the book. :)

lizziness
07-15-2006, 02:07 AM
Watched The Devil Wears Prada. I liked it, but didn't love it. It had potential to be better. I loved Meryl Streep in it, and whoever that girl is grew up and isn't a bad actress. I would give it a B-

ajandpj99
07-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Her name is Ann Hathaway - re Disney The Princess Diaries and voice of Red in Hoodwinked.

We watched Hoodwinked last night - kinda cute - not great - not even close to being as funny as shrek - but if you having nothing better to do it was a reasonable distraction. Depends on what you pay for rentals -dvd club worth it - video store, not.

buonoj13
07-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Ok, I'll qualify as the lame one this week, took the kids to see Cars, it was an 1 hour and half too long, the potential to be cute was there, but they went no where with the characters, and it could have been so cute.

Also so X-Men, same thing not near as good as the first 2, however, Famke Janssen, is just hot as ever. I am a big comic book geek, so I wanted to love it, but I just liked it. Beast was pretty damn cool tho.

Next is Pirates, and frankly I don't care if it sucks or not (which I have now heard from several people that it does) but get out of town, I'd lick the sweat of Johnny Depp (sorry if that offended anyone)

ajandpj99
07-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Offended? Here? Hardly. And going from Famke to Depp only makes your statement more interesting.;)

Beast was great - and one the reasons I was dissappointed - not enough details on their past. I really wanted to know more about Angel too and hoped he would help the team, plus no teleporter and he was cool.:cool:

mauvaisroux
07-16-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm afraid you would have to fight me for Johnny! :drool:

We watched Dracula 3 Ascension last night. It was okay but not great. Mind you Jason Scott Lee as an vampire killing kung fu priest was pretty cool :lol:

Then we watched Dark Water. Meh! :shrug: It started off slow, wasn't that creepy, kind of predictable and it seemed to have four endings tacked on to it. Like, is the movie over yet? :yawn: Glad we ony paid $6.99 for it previously viewed - I would have been annoyed to have paid for it in the theatre and now I can trade it in at the local used dvd place and get something else.

squeaker
07-17-2006, 06:45 AM
Speaking of Depp and wanting to lick him.... I watched The Libertine. It was kinda like Quills, but no naked Geoffrey Rush. Depp plays the Earl of Rochester, who , uh, REALLY likes his women & alcohol. I liked it. It was a good movie.

I also watched 8MM, which was good, but disturbing.

Also, Winters Passing. It has Ed Harris, and Will Farrell in a drama. It wasn't bad. A bit odd. Nothing great, but a decent rental.

Friday my sister & I was The Devil Wears Prada. I agree with Lizzi, good, fun afternoon movie.

ssgtswife33
07-17-2006, 09:33 AM
My hubbs and I took the kids to go see Cars a couple of weeks ago and I thought It was a cute movie. The kids really loved it.

We got a chance to see the the Superman movie, not to bad. It was actually alot better then what I thought.

I am now wanting to see the Pirates movie with Johnny Depp. He is such a hottie!! I loved him in the first one.

Suzanne 3FC
07-18-2006, 05:50 PM
I finally saw the 40 year old virgin this weekend. Loved it :)

I'm excited because I just round out An Inconvenient Truth has come to town - I've watched for it eagerly for a long time. Oddly, it's just here for a couple of days so I have to see it tomorrow.

buonoj13
07-18-2006, 07:58 PM
I was laughing so hard reading through this thread that dh came in to found out what was going on. He saw Johnny Depp's name on the screen and said "of course" and walked out. Made me laugh even more, I guess I should quit framing the Rolling Stone layout's of him.

I am looking forward to seeing the Libertine. I heard mixed things about the movie and I have a feeling it doesn't end on a happier note.

lizziness
07-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah i heard it got bad reviews - but i would watch him in anything. i don't care.

squeaker
07-18-2006, 10:21 PM
No, the Libertine isn't a uplifting movie.

And I can understand why some wouldn't like it. It is a independent, dark, long, epic, overtly sexual, period piece. It is something you will either love or hate. I tend to like those types of movies.

peacock 2
07-19-2006, 08:50 AM
I have yet to see the 2nd Pirates thingy - gosh - even my Nephew has seen it before me. He enjoyed it but being a sensitive little soul of 7 some bits were scarey for him.

I am a bit concerned about all the ladies on this board who claim Johnny Depp for their own....I tell you he is in my office right now on the wall!! There he will stay!

ajandpj99
07-19-2006, 02:11 PM
What I find funny is that Jack Sparrow is the same guy as Edward Scissorhands.

Gotta love movie makeup. See Aeon Flux vs Monster (Charlize Theron)

Watched a completely lame and poorly acted movie last night called BloodRayne that is a dark ages version of Blade crossed with Underworld. Loosly. I forced myself to watch the entire thing to see if it ever got better so I could decide if DH would like - he would have slept through it so I will send it back today.

mauvaisroux
07-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Went to see Clerks II on Friday night - loved it! Some parts were kind of gross but it was laugh out loud funny! :rofl:

squeaker
07-24-2006, 12:31 PM
I LOVED Clerks II. I adore the first one, and wasn't sure how much I was going to like a sequal. I think it was a great continuation of the story. :)

I also watched:
Winter's Passing - eh. It was ok. It has Anthony Lapaglia, who I really like. It was not a bad movie, but I didn't love it either.

Something New - liked it. It is about a very professional black woman dating her landscaper, a white man. It was a very intersting movie. Plus the guy is really cute! (Though I am forgetting what his name is right now. Simon something...)

The Family Stone - this was cute. It was a fun silly movie for the most part.

mauvaisroux
07-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Squeaker- I've enjoyed all of Kevin Smith's films so I figured there was a good chance I'd like this one.

My one exception was Jersey Girl which I didn't bother seeing as I'm not fond of Jennifer Lopez and Liv Tyler. They are okay but not for 2 hours. Meh - :shrug: Then it started getting all those horrible reviews. It's too bad, it might have had a better chance if people hadn't been sick of the Bennifer thing. Then again I can't really say since I didn't see the movie. Maybe I'll rent it one day. :)

lizziness
07-29-2006, 01:22 PM
mauv - did you watch Drawing Flies? it's not one of his, per-se he did work on it, i think produced it though. and Jason Lee is in it (i love him). Most people i talked to didn't like it but i loved it.

just a few years late - i finally watched Gattaca. Wasn't at all what I expected, and it was pretty good. I don't really like the way it ended, but the story up to that point was a good one.

tried to watch the old made for tv Hobbit from the '70's last night. Hubby was insistent, something about good childhood memories... and even he could watch the whole thing. They were not consistent with the story and the singing was atrocious. who ever knew that goblins liked disco? lmao

lizziness
08-01-2006, 02:19 AM
watched proof. didn't like it. didn't believe gyllenhaal and paltrow as a couple at all, no chemistry.
overall it was dry, a little confusing, and generally disappointing. If it were to get a grade, it would be a C.

mauvaisroux
08-01-2006, 09:41 AM
No I didn't see Drawing Flies - I'll have to look for it now1 :lol:

lizziness
08-07-2006, 10:17 PM
it's good, i recommend it highly.

Watched North Country. It was a good story, acting was fine. I just was disappointed in the way they ended it all wrapped up with a bow on top. I just hate when movies do that - like nobody supported her til the very end and then magically everyone changes their mind. It's just a disappointing way to end a story. I'd rather have watched a little longer movie where the people come around eventually, i guess. I dunno, just me.

ajandpj99
08-08-2006, 12:36 PM
DH watched the Man - said it was really good
We both saw Libertine - bit tough to follow - is it really that difficult to put a date on the screen periodically so you can see how much time has passed? The accents were too thick so missed half the dialog and for a movie about the sexual adventures of the Libertine, it wasnt all that erotic, too forced. Basically a movie about a guy who is writing a play about his life. Still - it was johnny depp. LOL

Failure to launch was cute but very predictable

The Brothers Grimm was a tad boring and lacked something.

lizziness
08-22-2006, 02:46 AM
It's not a movie, but I am Anthony Bourdain obsessed and happened to catch a good show on the travel channel where he was in Beirut at the wrong time... it started as a no reservations episode, but they got stuck because two days later the airport was bombed by israel and air raids started going off.
It was a very interesting episode, they did it seperate from the regular show though. Anyway, it was really very good, even my hubby who loathes Bourdain (i can't imagine why) was glued to the tube. And who knew, Bourdain can actually be serious...

peacock 2
08-22-2006, 03:43 AM
I enjoyed his books - (Kitchen confidential and the other one (can't remember). I like him but he would hate me as I am vegetarian and, like Gordon Ramsay, does not have a good word to say about them.....!

lizziness
08-22-2006, 11:19 AM
yeah. he is definately opinionated. one of the things i like about him. he just calls it as he sees it. i do see him eat his fair share of veggies too though... along with disgusting international delicasies. :) Haven't read any of his books yet, I will have to do that soon. He's got a newer one out called "The Nasty Bits"
I am just waiting, one of these days the show will be cancelled or put on delay due to his massive corronary or stroke or perhaps lung cancer... *L* not the most healthy skinny dude I've ever seen.

peacock 2
08-22-2006, 11:32 AM
According to his books, Chefs were like rock and roll stars - sex and drugs but not necc. rock and roll!

lizziness
08-22-2006, 09:37 PM
meh, who needs rock and roll anyways. :)

mauvaisroux
08-23-2006, 11:39 AM
I do! :lol:

Anyone gone to see "Snakes on a Plane" yet? We may go see it this weekend.

squeaker
08-28-2006, 10:51 AM
I FINALLY saw Pirates 2. I loved it. :) But I love Johnny Depp. It was a fun movie. I can't wait for the third.

I also watched Spirited Away. It was ok. My bf loved it, I just thought it was all right. Nothing special.

mauvaisroux
10-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Watched ****'s Gate 11:11 on Saturday - Horrible!!!!! Bad acting, bad plot, lame ending. :p

We also watched V for Vendetta which was pretty good although it was a bit predictable. Lot's of great actors in it though and a lot of relevant topics. :)

ajandpj99
10-05-2006, 11:03 AM
We watched United 93 last night, the docudrama of the 1 plane that didnt reach its target on 9-11.

From what I understand from the movie makers - the actors were given profiles of the people they were portraying and details of phone calls to loved ones and then asked to improvise based on those limited details in a speculation of what went down.

There had been a lot of controversy - mostly from those that thought it was too soon - but I have to say that it was very well done and extremely powerful - being a reinactment of actual events, but also well acted enough to believe it was happening again.

If I had been one of those passengers - I would have been very pleased with the tribute to what was basically our own suicide mission - a mission to prevent more than our own inevitable deaths.

A story worth viewing for generations, a small slice of our potential as humans.

lizziness
10-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Sounds good... I'm really not ready to watch anything on it. I'm honestly not sure I ever will be. I kind of think going over and over it every year is getting kind of old and that it's time to put something positive like what survivors/victims and their families are doing now instead of replaying the horror... but this isn't a thread for that. :) :)

Have been neglecting my netflix membership lately due to all the amazing new shows! This is the best year for new shows in a really long time. My faves so far are Justice, Kidnapped, Eureka, and most recently Dexter. Dexter is awesome, it has the guy that played David in six feet under as a forensics officer that reads blood patterns to determine what happened at a crime scene... he also is a murderer himself, one who trained himself to target other killers... oh it is so intense and just really good. :)

ajandpj99
10-05-2006, 05:40 PM
I hear ya on the new shows. Have u watched Heroes yet? Mon at 9pm on NBC and again at 4pm on scifi at least with my sat.

It is very highly rated - the first ep was great - I missed the 2nd but it is repeating this fri.

BSG season prem this FRI!!!!!:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

And the horse comes home on Sat. Yeah

lizziness
10-05-2006, 10:52 PM
yes! Heroes pilot was great, we plan to watch it more.
found jericho disappointing though.

what is bsg? i'm slow....

oh! for you in canada I know i'm behind the times, but we recently found what i think is THE best show i've seen. it's on canadian movie channel it's called "ReGenisis" I think it's in it's 3rd season now. it's an intense show about people who work with dieases, controlling, finding ways to contain pandemics, etc. fascinating and entertaining in one.

ajandpj99
10-06-2006, 12:29 PM
BSG = Battlestar Gallactica - the new one!! Kicks complete and total butt on the old series that I cant even watch more than a minute. The new one now in its 3rd? Season is filmed in documentary style, the plots are so intense, the characters so real and all the people that complained because starbuck and boomer are women in this series can bite me - these characters have way more depth than the originals.

I go to great lenths to not miss episodes since the story lines run like Buffy or Angel where missing one is like skipping a chapter in a book, but they do that "previoulsy on" to catch you up on key points and Scifi is great about showing it more than once. 6pm, 9pm on Fri, and again at 8pm on Mon or that is what is was last year. Seasom prem at 8pm tonight.

The 2nd ep of Heroes was last monday but if you missed it like I did - scifi is showing again at 4pm today - I have directv so check your channels if different provider.

3rd ep of Heroes is Monday at 9pm on NBC which is the reg time slot.
This show will run like those chapter shows as each hereo discovers their gifts and eventually crosses paths with the others - meanwhile the underlying plot of the ominous prediction made by the addict painter. Very exciting.

I only watched a few minutes of Jerico the other night - looked to have potential but I cant get hooked on too many new shows - no time. A friend of mine really loves it though.

lizziness
10-06-2006, 09:27 PM
ah. hubby loves battle star - i can't really stand it. i really just find it to be too noisey, which i know is a dumb reason to not like a show, but.. that's my reason!

lizziness
10-12-2006, 11:52 PM
okay, so there are a couple of movies that they play all the time on TV and even though they are dumb and cut up - I just can't help myself I have to watch them! Mine are Dazed and Confused and 10 Things I Hate About You. Must be some sort of sick desire to relive my teenage years (i accidentlly typed tears instead of years what does that say?! *LOL*)

anybody else have any of these little guilty pleasure movies? I'd be interested in knowing your top 5 favorites too.. if anybody is up for it. I'll start.

1. Donnie Darko
2. The House of Yes
3. Office Space
4. Interstate 60
5.toss up between Tank Girl and RHPS

mauvaisroux
10-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Movies I will watch on t.v. even though I own the DVD's (silly issn't it?)

1. The Outlaw Jesse James
2. The Good the Bad and the Ugly
3. The Deer Hunter
4. The Untouchables
5. Breakfast at Tiffany's (my only chick flick - :lol: )

ajandpj99
10-14-2006, 02:41 PM
I dont have that many movies that I own. Mostly star trek first 6 movies, orig 3 star wars, 3 indiana jones, 2 terminators, and 2 aliens. Any of which I will watch on tv if nothing else on. Jurrasic Park the first.

Movies that I watch all the time that I should buy are the Back to the Future series, the last terminator and last alien and the other 2 Jurrasic park movies. The Core, Harry Potter movies and several monster movies like the one with the CSI guy and the giant squid - Creature I think. Epoch is good, Volcano, and Dantes Peak. Any time these are on I will watch.

Heroes getting better - BSG also kicking butt.

Any other BSG fans care to speculate on the show with me? It could be fun to see later if our theories about the storyline are correct. Like which prominent charactures are really sleeper cylons - what the REAL cylon plan is - and whether or not the trusted Sharon Cylon will betray the humans when she discovers they stole and hid her baby.

Not to mention the fact that there are now at least 2 cylon-human hybrid children (the 2nd was Starbucks daughter with a cylon father - artificial insemination, surrogat mother) and my theory that either the chief or kalli is a sleeper agent making their son a hybrid also.

:cool:

mauvaisroux
10-14-2006, 09:05 PM
I finally watched Saw II last night since Saw III will be in theatres at the end of the month.

Jinkies! :faint: Some of those scenes were horrible - I couldn't even watch the opening sequence without cringing. :p

lizziness
10-15-2006, 02:37 AM
cringing from the gore or from the bad acting? :D

mauvaisroux
10-18-2006, 04:12 PM
A bit of both! :lol:

Sojourner
10-19-2006, 01:34 AM
Geez is it just me or have movies just SUCKED lately?? Hubby and I used to see movies at the theater all the time, like a couple times a month, and now we are lucky if we go once every few months. I think the last movie I saw at the theater was Pirates. Somehow we missed X3 and still have to see it. Sigh... any good recommendations?

peacock 2
10-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Me and 2 book club mates saw 'Volver' on Friday - the Pedro Almodavar film with Penelope Cruz in it. Rally enjoyed it. What I like about him is he is a rare person who has interesting parts for women. Even when dealing with controversial things such as the coma patient who was pregnant by the hospital aide it never feels exploitative.

Off to see Scanner darkly on Wednesday with same group of friends.

peacock 2
10-25-2006, 04:44 AM
Saw The Devil wears Prada. I avoided the book but the film looked funny. It was! Mind you my stomach was in knots - especially when Miranda's team had to fly about getting everything just so before the 'Dragon Lady' arrived. I felt knackered watching it! Was goig to dress up accordingly but I don't think Prada stretch to an English size 18!!!!! Not that I could afford it if they did!

lizziness
10-29-2006, 01:10 AM
i agree with you sojo- movies lately have sucked. i really want to see running with scissors but it's getting crap for reviews. :( won't stop me though most of the movies i love everyone else hates.

I watched "why i wore lipstick to my mastectomy" tonight. It was very very good. I as pleasantly surprised. I'm not a cryer as a general rule... i haven't watched a movie that made me cry, ever. and this one had me tearing up. if it reruns and i'm sure it will.. i suggest it.

lizziness
11-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Art School Confidential - I just HAD to watch it, even though the bad reviews screamed not to.... well, they were all right. just a bad movie. Very disappointing.

The Lord of War, however was very good. I enjoyed it quite a bit, even if there were a few predictable moments.

mauvaisroux
11-12-2006, 04:48 PM
I really enjoyed Lord of War too. :)

We went to the theatre to see Saw III on Friday night. It was pretty good but VERY gory, sometimes to the point of being unwatchable. :p

lizziness
11-20-2006, 12:57 AM
Believe it or not, I had never seen Reservoir Dogs. It was really good. I enjoyed it very much, and Tim Roth was great as usual.

Watched about 8 minutes of Brick. Had to turn it off. I'm not sure if they were trying for a film noir kind of movie or what, but I couldn't even stand those first few minutes. I only rented it because I love Lucas Haas, and I didn't even watch long enough to see him.

aphil
11-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Has anyone here seen Borat yet?

mauvaisroux
11-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Nope, but I hear it is hilarious!

On the plane trips to and fro I watched Taladega Nights and My Super ex-girfriend . . . both had some funny moments but were pretty dumb movies as in "excuse me stewardess, may I skycheck my brain?" but killed the time on the trips.

I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like Uma Thurman as an actress. This is the fourth movie I have seen her in where I felt that any other actress could have easiy played the role and in some cases done it better. She just does nothing for me. :shrug:

laurenporvida
11-26-2006, 07:44 PM
i saw borat and i thought that it was really funny.

mauvaisroux
11-27-2006, 10:41 AM
We watched a couple of asian films this weekend.

The first one was a live action film based on a Japanese anime called about a superheroine called Cutie Honey (which is the title of the film) - it was silly and funny and sometimes veered into the what the ???? category.

We then watched a Korean film called City of Violence which was really good. It was about childhood friends turned gangsters but one of them became a cop. Lot's of martial arts action, lies, betrayal, "revengence" ;) and a great scene with kung fu breakdancers and a tribute to the movie the Warriors (don't ask :lol: ) . We really enjoyed this one and could see it being remade for American audiences - perhaps by Quentin Tarantino. :D

Spideranne
11-27-2006, 02:18 PM
We never seem to watch movies anymore, but we rented 4 for the long weekend.

The Breakup - I thought this would be a fun romantic comedy, but it wasn't really funny. It was more on the serious side but not that great.

Over the Hedge - We have no kids, but hubby just loves these animated movies. He laughs out loud through the whole movie. It was cute enough.

Mission Impossible 3: I liked this one. They gave it more of a personal touch and you felt like you were watching characters instead of just a series of action sequences.

Da Vinci Code: I read the book, so thought I wouldn't like the movie, but it was good. I liked the way they made it more authentic by using actors that were of the nationality that they were playing.

And now it will probably be another 6 months before we see anything new.

Leenie
12-26-2006, 05:59 PM
We just came back from seeing "night at the museum" with ben stiller, robin williams, mickey rooney and dick van dyke...(and some others)...it was VERY FUNNY!!!!!

My Dd who's 5 loved it, and I didn't think she would.

Ben stillers mom is in it too (for a brief moment).

Nice to see something different for a change.

tamibeep
12-31-2006, 12:21 AM
We just saw both of the magician movies - The Illusionist and The Prestige b/c they were both playing at the second run theater near here. The Illusionist was pretty weak, apart from Paul Giamatti, who rocks in socks. The Prestige was good, although Christian Bale gives me the heebie-jeebies.

lizziness
12-31-2006, 12:23 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmm Christian Bale.

:D

jules1216
12-31-2006, 09:08 AM
mmmm, Christian Bale, Johnny Depp.....

My 19 year old daughter and I are going to start having a lunch and matinee day at least one Friday a month. Our first pick wasn't good. My husband HATES horror movies and I love them, so daughter and I went to see Black Christmas. She actually apologised for picking it. I pick next and it's between the Holiday & Night at the Museum. There are not alot we feel we "have" to see right now. If there is nothing at the movies, we may just pick up a DVD. There is a movie that was previewed that is about werewolves that is on her pick list when it opens. I also saw a preview on the internet of Sandra Bullocks next movie with Julian? (played Phoebe's demon husband in Charmed & is in Nip/Tuck now) add him to my mmmmmmmm list.

lizziness
01-02-2007, 01:08 PM
We saw one that just came out in a few theaters and probably will mostly play in art house theaters.. but if you get the chance you should see it. It's called Pan's Labyrinth. The basis is a girl who travels w/ her pregnant mother to live with her new and very unpleasant step father. She becomes a part of a fairy tale (you decide if it's meant to be real or not) to escape the harsh realities in her world. It's based in Spain 1944 during or just after the war and it is subtitled.
My best descriptions are breathtaking and heartbreaking. It was really the best piece of art I've seen in a while.

mauvaisroux
01-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the review of Pan's Labyrinth. :) I read an article on it in a Horrorzine called Rue Morgue and it sounded really interesting.

I enjoyed the movie The Devil's Backbone which from the same director so I will definitely see this one!

mauvaisroux
01-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Lizziness - I saw Pan's Labyrinth on the weekend - it was great - and it was exactly how you described it - breathtaking and heartbreaking. :yes:

lizziness
01-22-2007, 10:45 PM
so glad you enjoyed it. :)

not new, but i was in a mood and rewatched Bridget Jone's Diary. that movie always makes me smile.

mauvaisroux
01-28-2007, 10:38 PM
On Saturday night we watched Silent Hill which was okay, but not great, and then we watched Night Watch which was great! It's a Russian Horror/action film and I would highly recommend it.

squeaker
01-29-2007, 10:10 AM
We watched Little Miss Sunshine the other night. It was rather funny. A bit odd, but good. We both really enjoyed it. :)

Zatanna
01-30-2007, 12:51 AM
I just found out that Pan's Labyrinth will play at the (relatively) local indie theatre towards the end of Feb., and this makes me absolutely happy.

I also saw that "The Painted Veil" will be playing there the week before - never heard of it, but it looks good (then again, Edward Norton makes anything look good...). Anyone heard about it/seen it?

lizziness
01-30-2007, 01:08 AM
I heard about it, and watched an interview on Charlie Rose with Edward Norton. It does look very good. I'd like to see it.

samanthaf63
02-28-2007, 07:59 PM
My boyfriend and I watched "Idiocracy" for the second time over the weekend. It's frightening but it's a subject near and dear to our hearts - the Dumbing Down of America. I'd already seen "Little Miss Sunshine" but he hadn't and absolutely fell in love with it.

Planning to catch the new John Travolta film - John Travolta and William H. Macy and Ray Liotta - gotta love it!

squeaker
03-23-2007, 02:05 PM
We saw Premonition last weekend. It was a decent movie. A fun way to spend 2 hours.

I am excited because Babel is being sent to us next on our Netflix queue. :D The last one we watched was Moonlight Mile. Well, ok I never finished it. It just couldn't keep my attention. The bf finished it, and said it was just ok.

A few of the other ones we saw recently -
Flushed Away - Really kinda cute. A fun cartoon.
The Prestige - LOVED IT! But you can't really go wrong with Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, David Bowie, & Chris Nolan.
Crank - A bit violent, but really cool to watch. I loved the way it was filmed.
The Illusionist - Good. I like Ed Norton, and this was a well done movie. But I did like the Prestige better.

Wanttolosealot
03-28-2007, 08:56 AM
My hubby and I went to see "300" Mojnday night! It was very different. Their bodies were "RIPPED". Forget 6 pack, they had a whole dozen. WOW! Neither of us really enjoyed it.
Hugs to all
Virginia

lizziness
03-31-2007, 10:19 PM
wow. we either haven't been watching any movies, or we've been too busy to talk about them. :)

Ice Age: Meltdown - cute movie. like the first one better though.
Running with Scissors - if you like random weird movies, you'll enjoy it. Ran a little longer than it probably needed to, but there were a lot of moments that had me laughing at the bizzareness. Has a Royal Tannebaums/Harold and Maude sort of feel to it.
The Holiday: pure drivel. I love Jude Law so much, and I like Kate Winslet... the plot of the movie was fine, but I found the dialog and acting somewhat lacking to say the least. It's a fluffy chick flick and even if you like these, this one might make you roll your eyes.

squeaker
04-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Probably a little bit of both Lizziness. :)

Last night we watched Babel. Wow. It was a really good movie. The acting was great. There were a few times my BF & I were so into the movie, we talked to the screen.

We also watched Sherrybaby. That one was interesting. Maggie Gylenhal(sp?) normally does a good job. A bit sad though.

Tadpole - This one I thought was rather odd, but well done. A kid falls for his stepmother, but sleeps with her best friend. It was a decent movie.

squeaker
05-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Movie update!

The last few weeks the boy & I watched:

Night at the Museum - Now I normally HATE Ben Stiller, and normally don't go for purely silly movies (unless it is Monty Python or something), but I really enjoyed this one. It was really silly, but a lot of fun. Maybe because it was a kids/family movie, I just went with it. It made me smile. :)

Spiderman 3 - Blah! I didn't like this one. I liked the last 2. This one was too long, and was just lacking a decent storyline. Granted it had like 3 different subplots going, but it felt like too much without enough substance.

Eragon - So not impressed with this one. I am wondering if the book was better. Visually there was some cool stuff, but I just couldn't get into it at all. Actually we ended up making fun of it through most of the movie. It seems to borrow heavily from other movies/stories.

Charlotte's Web - I loved this one! It was the "new" live action version. It was great! I have always loved this story. Julia Roberts was perfect as Charlotte. Actually I thought all of the voices were great, and fit the characters. I was just happy I didn't cry at the end, though it was close...

lizziness
05-17-2007, 11:10 AM
been a bit. we saw Hot Fuzz. It was fun and enjoyable, though I still prefer Shawn of the Dead.
Bridge to Terebithia - I guess it'd be okay if you didn't read and love the book. I though they did a disappointing job at it. But it was still a fun kids movie.
The Illusionist - it was good. i don't think i'd watch it again though. not a Jessica Biel fan.

squeaker
05-30-2007, 06:18 PM
I saw Pirates 3 this weekend. In general, I thought it was a good movie. It was fun & silly. A bit long, but it went by ok. My only complaint was there was simply not enough Johnny Depp. He does have a decent role, but the plot was much more focused on other characters. I did enjoy it though. :)

squeaker
07-02-2007, 05:16 PM
We have been watching a decent amount of movies lately, both new ones and lots of DVDs. In the last few weeks we saw:

Oceans Thirteen - I liked it. It was fun. Nothing deep, but a great summer
movie.

Ratatouille - I loved it. It was adorable. We watched the Incredibles the next day since I still hadn't seen that one either. I liked that one too.

The Holiday - It was rather predictable but not bad for a chick flick. I like Kate Winslet & Jack Black quite a bit. Jude Law was cute, and I didn't want to smack Cameron Diaz by the end - which is better then most times. There is something about her that normally grates my nerves, but I actually kinda liked her in this.

Children of Men - I hated this movie, but only because it made me really sad. It is actually a very well done film. And normally I am ok with movies that aren't happy, but this one just made me way too sad. Not something I can watch again, mostly due to the violence. I do recommend it.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead - This was really silly. It is a spin off of sorts of Hamlet. I enjoyed Tim Roth & Gary Oldmen. I liked most of it. I actually didn't love the "players" but liked everything else. Granted now the boy keeps quoting random lines to me. :)

Bruce Almighty - I laughed once. At the end. I liked Morgan Freedman, but that was pretty much it.

The U.S. vs. John Lennon - A decent documentary, but most of it I had known before. But I always find John Lennon fascinating.

I think we are going to see Transformers tonight, because I am a kick *** girlffiend. I don't really care about seeing it, but the boy really wants to so I told him we could go the day it came out.

mauvaisroux
07-02-2007, 07:44 PM
What is it about boys and those Transformersr? My hubby can't figure why I'm not interested in seeing it - LOL! I told him he would enjoy it more if he went with his friends instead.

I want to see Ratatouille too, it looks really cute. :)

aphil
07-03-2007, 09:18 AM
I am hoping that DH takes our son to see Transformers, and NOT me. :rofl:

squeaker
07-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Ok, the boy and I went to see it last night, and to be honest - it wasn't that bad. It wasn't all that great for me, but there are worse ways to spend 2 & 1/2 hours. It was rather silly/funny in some bits, which I was grateful for. The special effects for each of the transforming scenes I thought were done well. I had some issues with some of the fight scenes. I thought it was a bit blurry, and not always easy to tell exactly what was going on.

Now, I wouldn't go see it again, but it wasn't too bad.

Besides now he has to come with me to see Across the Universe when it comes out in September. :) And that one I can't wait for!