Alternachicks - June alternachick chat

View Full Version : June alternachick chat

mauvaisroux
06-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Good morning everyone! :coffee:

I can't believe it is June already! Two months to go until my summer vacation! :cb:

It's a little cooler here today and rain is expected but that's not so bad.

Tomorrow night I have to go to a movie premier of film of a friend of a friend. It's an independent film but 3 of DH's band's songs are in the film so I'm going to show my support. Not sure what the film is about though :lol:

Ann1231
06-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi all. I have a question but please keep an open mind. I would LOVE to join in a lot of your threads, including some of the pagan ones on natural products, aromatherapy, different things like that but I want to let you know I'm not pagan or anything. I am a Christian. My son describes me as a hippie. I am very out of my element in the "normal" world...not sure how to say that, because I am different. I don't go into materialism, chemicals, I'm very much into nature, natural living, I don't really know how to say all this, hoping you can figure out what I'm meaning :dizzy:

I don't have alot of friends in the real world because I don't go for a lot of the things that they go on about. I'm very non-conformist I guess.
Would I offend you if I joined in some of the chats?
Ann

kykaree
06-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Your an Alternachick! I am sure no one will mind you joining in the threads you are interested in. We're a very inclusive bunch!

I can't believe it's June either, it's a huge month for me. This weekend is my birthday, next weekend is my first 10k run (in London, a place I have never been) and the following week I go to Australia :cb:

I've been counting the days for all these events and now I can't believe I am so close!

Ann1231
06-01-2006, 02:11 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY this weekend!!
I'm jealous, Australia!! I would love to go there and Ireland before my days here are done.

*and thank you for letting join in the alternachick :)

mauvaisroux
06-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Welcome Ann! :wave: feel free to post anywhere you like in the Alternachicks/paganchicks/veggiechicks forums. You'll find that we all are pretty diverse people who don't fit with the "norm" whatever that is! :lol:

Kempyd - Have a great birthday weekend :hb: and good luck with your 10k run! :cheer:

CJ :)
06-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Normal is a dryer setting. ;)

mauvaisroux
06-03-2006, 11:50 PM
cj - right! :D

mauvaisroux
06-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Had a great weekend! I went to a movie premier for a locally produced film and really enjoyed it. Afterwards I went out for a couple of drinks with some friends.

Saturday I went to an art show and had lunch with a friend. Then her and her husband came over for dinner and we watched a movie.

On Sunday I finished planting the flower beds in the front yard :) Now we just have to paint the trim and the fence.

I think I lost 2 lbs this past week from all the gardening I've been doing! :D

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

lizziness
06-04-2006, 11:18 PM
I also had a really good weekend. Spent most of Friday lounging around with my hubby, we did our big monthly shopping and then had BBQ and watched a movie at home. It was just a nice day together. Saturday also spent lounging about. Sometimes it's nice to just have an off weekend - especially after the last few I've had. and the next two will be filled with in-laws so i'm glad for the rest!

Back to work on Sunday, but sundays are always slow because.. who would think to call their bank on sunday? nobody!

ajandpj99
06-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Hi All, been eves dropping but too busy with work and other things to chat. Anyway -we had a great weekend also. :D

Today is our 7th year wedding anniversary and we celebrated Friday, Sat and Sun. Friday was more for local grads - went to the small town ceremony, class of 17 students. Nice part of a small class was the slide show they did with pics of each kid as they grew into the young adults they are. :hug:

Sat we went shopping and out to dinner and went to X-3. :D

Yesterday we lounged a bit then worked on our motorcycles, getting ready for some summer riding (havent ridden since before we left portland so I may need a bit of practice. Then we groomed and deflyed the horses. :cool:

DH is off to work now.

Later

mauvaisroux
06-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Happy Anniversary! :cheers:

mauvaisroux
06-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Freakin' hot again today :flame: I've been trying to conserve some energy at my workplace since the A/C is now on. I've set everyone's office temps on low/medium and any rooms not being used have the a/c and lights turned off. It may be a small thing but every little bit counts :D

Tonight DH is BBQ'ing and we're having cheddar smokies, veg burgs and salad. Dessert will be ice cold sliced watermelon :T I can taste watermelon as I'm typing! :lol:

gggbdomino
06-06-2006, 11:02 PM
mmmmmmmm watermelon.

Hello I would like to join you ladies I post offten at the veggie chicks board and I think this is a good place for me :) It's been a long week and I hope this month is a good one. I also had an aniversary this last week on the 1st 10 years. We had a wonderful time as I hope you did as well. well have a good night.

Peace G

lizziness
06-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Isn't it nice to have better weather for BBQ? I feel like we eat a little healthier when we grill foods, and it's so much faster too.
it's been kinda overcast, drizzly and muggy here for a few weeks. i'm getting tired of it! but then, once it gets hot i'll just be complaining more. it's been excrutiating in our room upstairs, we're breaking out the window A/C this weekend.

mauvaisroux
06-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Welcome G! :wave: And a belated Happy Anniversary! :cheers:

lizziness - yeah, weird how grilling just feels "healthier". I also like not having to heat the kitchen up.

I'm feeling a bit tired and cranky today - its' my third day in a row without coffee! :crazy:

But on a good note I have had 3 vegetarian meals this week for dinner so I'm pretty happy about that. I'm better at breakfast and lunch but I've been wanting to have more veggie dinners but it's hard when your DH is a big meat eater.

lizziness
06-09-2006, 06:42 PM
mauv - I have the same problem when it comes to veggie meals. When I cook my husband doesn't even understand the concept of side dishes. It actually irritates him that I can't just eat a hunk of meat for dinner by itself. He totally doesn't get it.
Boys!!!

mauvaisroux
06-11-2006, 07:32 PM
:lol: Lizziness - exactly! I have found a couple of pasta dishes that are meatless that my hubby does enjoy.

Phew - I had a busy week and was exhausted by Saturday. It was cold and rainy here so I just did a few loads of laundry and watched decorating and gardening shows for most of the day.

I then made some Feta cheese stuffed burgers in pita bread with a side of hummous and tabouleh for supper and spent the rest of the evening snuggled up with DH watching movies.

Today I went with my parents to visit some old family friend and spent the morning chatting and having tea with them. They gave us a bunch of plants from their garden so tommorrow evening I will be planting those in the yard.

DH is off to a friend's place to watch WWE with the boys so I have the house to myself this evening. I'm going to have a light supper and do some studying.

How was everyone's weekend?

lizziness
06-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Wow you're sounded pretty full!
I took an extra day off on Thursday and went shopping. Got some clothes and was pleased to actually find size 24 PETITE pair of jeans. No chopping off the bottom foot of material, they actually fit. I was so thrilled. Plus they were on sale from 54.00 to 20.00. I was so on a shopping high. :)

Hubbys youngest sibling graduated this weekend from High School. Last high school graduation for us for a while - yay. Hubbys brother and wife stayed at our house and we had bbq, then treated them to breakfast on Saturday. It was a nice visit and then we vegged out for the rest of the day.

Next weekend is the graduation party and then, if I plan it right - in-law free until the next siblings b-day -which is like in Sept. Yay. :)

Tani
06-12-2006, 01:10 AM
hehehehe, I had to teach the hubby the concept of side dishes too, :lol:

My weekend was fairly productive. I got a fair bit of cleaning done, saw Prairie Home Companion (excellent!) and got our gym membership re-upped.

ajandpj99
06-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Had a great weekend - the weather was perfect and then last night we had thunder and rain and it is now cloudy overcast but still warm - muggy - 93% humidity. Phew.

We went over to La Pine Friday and picked up DH's Grandpas saddle that is older than DH and is still very ridable plus the sentimental value and he even got the lariat (lasso) that his grandpa used to rope cattle with.

Then we spent all day Sat putting in our garden - it will be awesome - a good variety of all our favorite veggies and even some watermelon. Plus it turns out that the former owners grew garlic and now that the horses have cut down the pasture the garlic has really taken off - it grows wild. And it isyummy and spreading.

Yesterday I relaxed after cleaning out the horse water troughs and moving hoses around for the garden. My hamstrings are so sore from gardening.

Back to work today.

squeaker
06-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Well it has been a crazy few weeks. I started writing this response 2 weeks ago.

My nephew ended up getting admitted to the hospital on Memorial day at night for what basically was an asthma attack. He was in until Wed. He is fine now. We have to keep an eye on him, but the doctors don't think it will happen again. They think it was caused by a combination of a cold & the heat. He has been running around like nothing happened.

I am still job hunting. Haven't heard back much yet. Just a few things from recruiters. It is going to be tough since I think most people see that I need to relocate across the country, and automatically say no. I just hope this all works out soon. I am excited and getting impatient. I have made a huge decision, I just want to get the ball rolling and go NOW!

I have really started cleaning out my house, since I will be moving into a mostly already furnished town house/apartment. There are a few things I want to bring. But mostly the stuff he has is better anyway. :) I am going to actually be dating/living with the boy. The short version for most of you - he would be my ex-boyfriend - turned best friend - turned guy I was having a fling with off and on - now turned boyfriend again. We will have know each other for 7 years this fall. I have never lived with a guy before, so it should be interesting.

ajandpj - the horse is beautiful! I love the picture/avatar.

Lizziness - good luck with your in-law free plan. :lol:

Hello Mauvis, Tani and the rest of the chicks! :wave:

mauvaisroux
06-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Squeaker - that's so exciting for you! Glad that the two of you are getting together! :D

06-12-2006, 11:40 PM
ajandpj - your garden sounds great. I wish I could grow something, but the combination of my clay soil and black thumb do me in every time. :)

mauv - I will never forget the day I put tofu in my stuffed shells and the kids never knew it until after they ate it....ranked up there with the time they loved the spinach salad.

squeaker - my son had asthma like that until he was around 17. One Halloween he landed in the ER after pulling the greatest prank ever and we couldn't get him to keep the O2 mask on for telling all the ER staff about the prank.

lizzi - congratulations! inlaw free is a good thing. Of course, my next high school graduation is my youngest child in 2009. :P

I was off work today - didn't feel well. I'm afraid I'm having some medication problems so I need to head to the doctor's office. On the upside I have a meeting with a manager in another part of my company next Tuesday (20th) and I'm really looking forward to that - hoping like you-know-what for a new position.

I had a lot of fun with my nieces and nephews this weekend. We had a poker party Saturday night and my son cleaned me out.

mauvaisroux
06-13-2006, 10:57 AM
cj- :lol: about the tofu, isn't that the way of it? I once made two pans of low-fat brownies on an evening that my DH had his buddies over but didn't say anything and just left them cooling on the counter. I got up in the morning and both pans were empty - they scoffed them all! I bet you a dime to a dollar that if I had told them the brownies were low fat they would have turned their noses up at them! :yes:

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Tani
06-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Hey everybody! I moved my office into the new building on Monday and won't have internet access until the end of the month, so I'm getting all behind on my email and boards. :eek:

Squeaker, I'm glad you're nephew is doing well now. I know how scary a bad attack can be. I love kids' ability to just brush it off and go on with their lives though. How exciting about the move, good luck!

To all: I find the exact same thing when I make healthy food for the masses/parties. JUST DON'T TELL THEM. :lol:

I'm off for a long weekend of Pagan camping, my fingers crossed for nice weather!

mauvaisroux
06-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Enjoy your camping trip Tani!

Saturday I'm going to get my hair cut, then going to an afternoon BBQ that one of DH's clients is holding and after that I'm going out for an evening with the girls. Sunday consists of sleeping in to recover from the hectic pace of Saturday! :lol: I might do some gardening if the weather is nice. :)

06-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Tonight Scruffy is coming over to visit MacGregor - cocker spaniel reunions are so wonderful. Hopefully they'll get along so we can adopt Scruffy and keep his adorable little self forever and ever and ever.....

Saturday is hubby's birthday - we're going to a dinner theater murder mystery.

mauvaisroux
06-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Had a blast on Saturday! :dancer:

C.J. - how did the dogs get along?

lizziness
06-19-2006, 03:01 PM
well my weekend was as long as i expected. after getting totally sun burned and spending 4 hours at the party - most of the family came back to our place - which would have been fine but i wasn't prepared so the house wasn't as clean as i like it to be and we only have 3 chairs and 2 computer chairs so people were standing. i can not wait to have a house!
anyway, the party went with minimal drama and trauma and i look forward to a month or two without any of them dragging me into any more. :)

ajandpj99
06-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Hello All.

My parents are coming next weekend, so it was spring cleaning time. DH helped me on Friday with the inside - mostly dishes, laundry and floors. Then Sat I cleaned off the back porch (dogs, dust and bugs) and pressure washed the back of the trailer so you can sit out there and not feel like you are in a moldy dusty metal box.

Then yesterday my plan was to finish up and clear out the spare room but then I decided to try and cut off my thumb instead. I was rigging up a cardboard tube to wrap my 100ft RCA adapter (I use it to play my laptop through the stereo) when I sliced the back of my right thumb between the joint and the knuckle.

Being the hardheaded woman that I am and my total disdain for the medical profession - I opted to skip a 70 mile round trip to the ER for stitches. I did get the bleeding to stop and it doesnt even hurt, but I discovered last night that what looked like severed muscle was really a severed tendon - so I can move my thumb in one direction.

I am left handed and pretty sure I can live with it at is, but the good tendon is now tightening pulling the end of my thumb forward - like I am trying to use a lighter. And it looks funny and since my ring finger on the other hand is already crooked thanks to me not taking care of an injury last year - I guess I wont push it.

So I get to go to the ER after work today - and see if I waited too long since they recommend 24 hrs at the most.

Yeah me.:p

mauvaisroux
06-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Agh! Horrible! :p I hope your thumb will be okay!

Goddess Jessica
06-19-2006, 06:13 PM
I'm lurking.

Squeaker - Did I miss a big announcement? Are you joining me over on this side of the country? I am soooo excited for you!

mauvaisroux
06-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Hi Jessica! Long time no post! Hope things are going well with you. :D

ajandpj99
06-20-2006, 01:44 PM
You know, for the kind of money involved in medical care - you would think the service would be better. First I make a trip to the ER where they milk me out of an X-ray, "just in case" I did more than cut myself. Then all they did was clean it sort of and put a big goofy guaze bandage on it. I heal really fast so the cut is practically closed already. The ER referred me to a Hand Surgeon who calls today to advise that the soonest he can see me is next thursday, nearly 2 weeks after the cutting, which means my cut will be totally healed by then and he will have to re cut it to even look at the problem.

But he wont be actually fixing it that day - no, no - this is just a consultation to make sure that the ER doctor diagnosed me correctly. So that money went down the drain. How hard it must be? Nevermind the 70 mile round trip involved every time I have to do this.

So after the consult NEXT week then I will have to come back again for either an office fix or a surgery. And since so much time is elapsing and doctors are nothing but money grubbing opportunists - it will be a full blown surgery complete with an anestisiologist. You just wait and see.

At this point I am disgusted at the whole thing and trying to decide if I really need it fixed. I am getting used to it being bent. I can still do everthing I could before - except hitch hike and it looks like I want to thumb wrestle, but I really dont know if it is worth all this effort and money for what? So I have a straight thumb? Who cares? It doesnt even hurt and I bet it hurts like **** after this doctor starts poking around.

UUUGGHH!

Just shoot me - bullets are much cheaper....:devil:

Tani
06-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Oh AJ, Yikes! I hope it all works out okay.

I'm back from pagan camping. A good time was had by all, even my DH, although it will probably be another 5 years before he goes camping again do to his allergies being so bad, poor guy.

mauvaisroux
06-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Glad you had a good time but sorry for your DH! Allergies can really suck :p

We're having friends over for dinner tonight and I'm hoping the sky clears a bit. We were hoping to grill some chicken kebabs on the BBQ.

I'm off tommorow to go for some testing and then I'll have the afternoon to myself. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Part of me thinks I should catch up on stuff around the house but the other part of me wants to goof off! :lol:

Goddess Jessica
06-21-2006, 01:57 AM
Things are going well.... sorta great, sorta bitter scary. I have a doctor's appointment on thursday to see if I have a potential blinding eye disease. Lovely! Other than that! I've biking to work and really LOVING the summer!

I'll keep ya posted on the eye appointment!@

ajandpj99
06-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Wow Jess! Eye problems?! Makes my little cut finger seem silly in comparison - I hope your test is negative and it is just allergies or some other minor fix.

Tani - your campout sounded fun - you said pagan camping - what makes a campout pagan exactly? Does it just mean that there are rituals etc and you do them while camping? I know - you are thinking - duh PJ.

Glad everyone is doing so well and enjoying the summer.

I am still annoyed, enraged, whatever at this medical garbage. I cant decide if I should call the ER and rip some butt for referring me to a doctor after I came in when I had called that morning to ask if I should schedule an appt with a doctor since the emergency part had past, not bleeding no pain - but the ER insisted leading me to believe the it would get fixed only to say no we cant do it cause you severed the tendon and you need a surgeon to look at - hello? Is that not why I called in the first place?

I intend to call this surgeon and tell him he can "evaluate" my problem over the phone and he can tell me what the sugery is going to cost before I set foot out my door again. $180-$336 for him to "look" at it. A consultation - give me a break - not going to happen. I will just duct tape a splint to my thumb and learn to live with it.:p

lizziness
06-21-2006, 02:54 PM
My husband is having a similar problem. He has cubital tunnell making his arm and fingers numb (the kind of numb like when your foot goes asleep, pins and needles ick). He had to go to his regular dr 4 times before he would refer him to a specialist, who saw him twice and then referred him to a surgeon, who of course can't see him for 2 months. So far this whole thing has cost us about 400 bucks, before the surgeon.
His dr was just horrible he kept telling my hubby to just take this pill, which wasn't working at all. took him about 4 months to take my husband seriously. rediculous.

Good luck with your eye, Jess. I have a weird eye thing myself. It sucks. I have to watch it carefully cause I might need surgery if it grows. Weird health problems suck - no matter what they are.

mauvaisroux
06-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Good luck with the eye appointment Jessica! Hope it is something minor and fixable! :hug:

Tani
06-22-2006, 02:29 PM
The pagan camping in question was "Sunfest" one of many area festivals that go on mostly through the spring and summer months. It's usually about 200 people, but this year was a very cozy 50 or 60 I'd estimate. The general format for this kind of thing is group camping with tents and/or cabins (just tent space at this event) with a schedule of various workshops and opening, closing & main ritual. (plus lots of fire, drumming and dancing of course) This year's theme was the chakra's. I liked the main ritual quite a lot, it went off better than is normally the case for such group rituals, probably because the group was so small this year.

mauvaisroux
06-22-2006, 03:16 PM
That sounds like fun! :)

ajandpj99
06-22-2006, 05:42 PM
yeah it does sound like fun - think maybe a few of your buddies could whip me up a "dont be so greedy" spell to use on the medical profession? :devil:

Or something to regrow tendon? :dizzy:

Anything? ;)

mauvaisroux
06-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Well I'm a busy chick this weekend. Friday I have to shop for paint for our fence which DH will hopefully be painting this weekend or next week. I want the back yard to look good as we are hosting a BBQ on Canada Day.

Saturday I'm meeting some friends for Dim Sum then later I'm going to a BBQ. Sunday consists of plant shopping, gardening and I promised my mum that I would clip her cat's claws and give the thing a bath. Not looking forward to that last one as her cat is a real fighter. :p

Goddess Jessica
06-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Okay, so the eye doctor.

It turns out that I do NOT have iritis.

I have...

well.... they have no idea.

Their theories are that I am allergic to the solution... but they don't know why I wouldn't have a reaction in my right eye as well. Or maybe I'm allergic to my contact (my left eye is a different brand than my right eye). But I haven't changed contact brands so they don't know why I would suddenly be allergic to it. Their suggestion? Start wearing my contacts again and see what happens. Wow.

The good news is I think I can go back to my surf class!

In Bike News, I wussed out and got a ride home with AB last night and he brought me to work this morning so I could ride home. But, he's accepted a new job offer and we decided to cut work short and go celebrate. So I'm slacking again today. I think I will have to put some time in this weekend to make up for it.

mauvaisroux
06-24-2006, 12:41 AM
Actually that happened to a girl I used to work with. She wore contacts for years and used the same brand of contact and same brand of solution all the time. She suddenly developed an allergy and had to stop wearing contacts for few month until it cleared up. Her doc then tried her on a new brand of contacts and solution and she was fine.

lizziness
06-24-2006, 04:21 AM
Take a look at what contact solution you are using. They just had a major recall on one of the RENU brand solutions. i found this from google..

http://www.eyecaresource.com/contact-lenses/bausch-lomb-renu-recall.html

mauvaisroux
06-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Oh yes, there was an article on Renu in our paper on Friday. My mum was freaking out but I don't use that brand and I have monthly disposable contacts so I'm not too worried but will be monitoring just in case.

Tani
06-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Have I mentioned how in love I am with my new work schedule?? I'm going to the office MWF and telecommuting on T/TH. It gives me a full 8 hours back to my week that used to be eaten up in the trek. My house is already looking noticibly cleaner ;)

mauvaisroux
06-27-2006, 01:46 PM
That's great that things are working out Tani!

Last night my DH approached me and said that he would be willing to eat vegetarian meals during the week and only eat meat on the weekends!

The first thought I had was "Who are you and what have you done with my husband?" :lol:

But I'm glad we are on the same page as I've been wanting to eat more vegetarian meals for some time now. :)

lizziness
06-27-2006, 04:17 PM
wow. that is a big step, mauv!

right after we talked about our hubbies not understanding, I had another fight with mine over the whole veggie/side dish thing. I'd be happy if he'd just include some veggies with his meat. He just doesn't get why I would want to try to have a balanced meal. *LOL*

Tani
06-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Wow mauv, that's sweet. It's so much easier when the whole household can eat the same meals. I wouldn't ask to many questions, you might find an alien pod in the basement ;)

mauvaisroux
06-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Tani - your right! :lol:

ajandpj99
06-28-2006, 06:59 PM
when done properly - a copy can be just as good if not better than the original. So maybe your new pod-man is an improvement over the original?;)

I had a similar reaction after my DH announced our engagement to the family right before a weekend rafting trip. Suddenly mr quiet was mr huggin everyone and my own brothers were so happy that I was finally getting married (waited all those years to trade me in on a little brother):p

lizziness
06-29-2006, 11:33 PM
I think the aliens could do a great deal of business with earth just selling the pods... :) Where do I get one? How much does it cost? Can I get one that does dishes?? LOL

So, yay me, I applied for and got a job in a different department at my work. Hoping this will improve my life and my attitude. can't wait to start, but have to wait 2 weeks. ug.

mauvaisroux
06-30-2006, 10:35 AM
aj- LoL!

lizziness- cnogratulations! :cheers:

We have a long weekend here as tomorrow is Canada Day! :cb:
We are having people over for a bbq but they are forecasting rain so we may have to move indoors.

Sunday is my birthday but I am keeping it low key and just going out for lunch with DH and maybe one or two people.

Monday is a holiday so I'm going to just loaf and enjoy the day. :)