Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - What is this "Kashi" you all talk about?

mudbugs
06-01-2006, 07:30 AM
Is this a cereal? Do they sell it in regular ol' grocery stores? Is it with the organic foods? I've seen it mentioned on the boards a lot--and never had heard of it...(yup, I'm clueless)

Meg
06-01-2006, 07:45 AM
It's a brand of cereal, with quite a few different varieties. :) Check out their web site here (http://www.kashi.com/) - they sell other products, too, like bars and crackers (the cheese ones taste just like Cheese Nips :T ).

Since you're a fellow Pittsburgher, check your local Giant Eagle. The one I shop at (Village Square Mall) has a separate health food section and that's where all the Kashi products are.

My favorite Kashi cereal is GoLean because it's crunchy, low in sugar, and high in protein and fiber. I mix it in with low fat cottage cheese and a little dry SF chocolate pudding mix. :T :T

Allikat
06-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Kashi rocks! I love it with frozen berries and skim milk, or as a granola substitute in yogurt. One word of warning though. The first time you eat a serving of it, you may experience some, how should I put this, extra activity in your bowel region. For me personally, the large amount of fiber made me a bit gassy, but now I'm used to it and I can eat it without a problem.

Suzanne 3FC
06-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Tastes like twigs. But you get used to it :lol:

mudbugs
06-02-2006, 06:45 AM
LOL @ Suzanne....
I found the big KASHI display at Walmart last night. Our Giant Eagle didn't have it... There sure are lots of different kinds-- I thought it was like one particular box of cereal, but they had a variety. I guess you are all talking about the one that even LOOKS like twigs.

Jayde
06-02-2006, 06:50 AM
I love the Kashi Pilaf. It's great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. As a cereal with fruit, side dish, or even as a base for stuffing.

LLV
06-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Ummmmmm... ick.

lol

aphil
06-02-2006, 11:37 AM
There are some varieties of Kashi that I love, and others that I don't like at all. Not all taste like twigs. :rofl:

The GoLean varieties are probably my favorites...and their bars are good when I travel and have no access to a good meal. I just have one and some fruit-like tonight on my 4 hour car drive. :lol:

punkrockgrryl
06-02-2006, 11:44 AM
like Allikat, i like mine (kashi golean crunch) in yogurt (better than granola i think!). with a little vanilla yogurt and strawberries or blueberries--mmm. a bit CRUNCHY at first, but the yogurt softens it up a bit.

Heather
06-02-2006, 06:35 PM
I eat the GoLean Crunch in the morning mixed with another brand of cereal. I eat the bars regularly as a snack and we occasionally eat the crackers...

Valerie Joy
06-02-2006, 09:19 PM
I like the Go lean crunch cereal. I mix it with yougurt and berries. It's really important for me to measure it out since it's 190 calories for a cup!

I also like the Good Friends cereal by Kashi. I have to be really careful with these cereals because I will pack on to many calories with it if i'm not careful!

I was looking at the go lean energy bars at target but at 300 calories they were to much for me.

penpal
06-02-2006, 11:19 PM
I had the Go Lean Crunch for the first time today. I had half a cup with a little nf milk because it's fairly high in calories. That was plenty because it's quite filling. I think I'd prefer it as a granola substitute with yogurt and berries as it's a bit too crunchy and hard for my taste (scratched the roof of my mouth - ouch!) I like that they have added protein since that makes it a bit more balanced.

kykaree
06-03-2006, 02:21 AM
Kashi has just started becoming available in the UK, I am not sure if it's the same product........

I bought a box and after my first breakfast thought "what are these guys talking about - it's 'orrible! Tastes like twigs!" :lol: So I see I am in good company.

I'm stickin' with my oatmeal!

Jayde
06-03-2006, 04:15 AM
I'm stickin' with my oatmeal!

Try the Kashi Pilaf before giving up altogether. But oatmeal 'specially steel cut is yummy too.

DairyQueen
06-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Its paying to much money for what actually isn't much healthier than the other products out there that are half the price.

Jman1
06-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Careful!! The GoLean Crunch cereal is TOO GOOD. I had to stop buying it because I was just eating too much of it. (Also, if I eat a lot of it it gives me HORRIBLE gas. Sorry, but it's true.)