100 lb. Club - 60 pounds worth of obese

View Full Version : 60 pounds worth of obese

Junia
05-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Well, I was looking at the charts this morning, and saw that I have to lose 60 more pounds before I can be out of the "obese" category. *sigh* (It would be 90 pounds to get out of the "overweight" category.)

It's such a daunting prospect. It's going to take so long! But I'm really sick of being obese, and I want to lose at least those 60 pounds! Argh, I just wish it didn't take so stupid long to lose this weight. *sigh*

andoreth
05-30-2006, 11:21 AM
I don't know if this will help you at all, but here is what I've been doing:

For me, the difference between low-end "over-weight" and low-end "obesity" is about 35 lbs. So, I've been calling every 35 lbs of weight lost "An Obesity". So far, I've lost one obesity, and I am now just 10lbs shy of losing my second!

The drawback- kind of bites to think of myself as having 3 1/2 obesities.
The plus- it breaks down the goals a bit, it makes sense to me (according to my chart 286 is just as bad as 386?), and it'll be really cool to say "I've lost 4 obesities!" someday.

I'm in this for the long haul, but I agree that it's not fun to have such a tiny light comming from the end of such a long tunnel.

Junia
05-30-2006, 11:27 AM
I don't know if this will help you at all, but here is what I've been doing:

For me, the difference between low-end "over-weight" and low-end "obesity" is about 35 lbs. So, I've been calling every 35 lbs of weight lost "An Obesity". So far, I've lost one obesity, and I am now just 10lbs shy of losing my second!

The drawback- kind of bites to think of myself as having 3 1/2 obesities.
The plus- it breaks down the goals a bit, it makes sense to me (according to my chart 286 is just as bad as 386?), and it'll be really cool to say "I've lost 4 obesities!" someday.

I'm in this for the long haul, but I agree that it's not fun to have such a tiny light comming from the end of such a long tunnel.

Hmm, that's an interesting approach. For me, it would be 30 pounds, which would mean I've already lost one obesity, and have two to go. Hmm...

famograham
05-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Hey...I'd like to figure that out.
Could someone please post a link or PM me a link to a really good BMI calculator...or chart more appropriately.
I'd like to see how many pounds I have to go to get out of obese..etc..

Thanks!
And Great job on losing those obesities!!!!!
:cheer:
Linda

andoreth
05-30-2006, 02:20 PM
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf

Here's the one I used. I went from low-end overweight to low-end obesity, figuring that is how long it takes to get from overweight to obese.

Of course, the general disclaimer about how these charts are not written in stone and everyone is different, yada yada, applies. :) Example- I remember being 180, and I felt great and looked okay (at least okay enough for my SO to ask me out:o). Even though that is officially overweight at my height, I don't care at all if I never go below that number. Actually, I'll be happy no matter what weight I end up at, since I know I'm eating right and getting enough exercise.

Linda's right, congrats Junia! Make sure you take a moment to celebrate!:carrot:

famograham
05-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks Jen! ;)

Linda

Junia
05-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Yikes, according to that chart I'm hovering at the lower end of "extreme obesity." I'm 65 inches tall (5ft5in), and I weigh a smidge under 240, which is the cutoff for extreme obesity. I guess when I was 270 I was in big trouble. Well, if I could get down to 180, that would be great... but my current goal is to get down to a weight lower than where I was when my medication made me balloon up. I'm giving myself two months to lose 20 pounds!

Thanks for the encouragement, too -- I guess losing 30 pounds is a lot, even if I still have more to go.

YP1
05-30-2006, 03:07 PM
I had to lose around 60lb to get out of obesity when I started, it seemed overwhelming at times. From there it was about 30lb more to get to a normal weight, so I guess I've lost just over 3 "obesities". Just remember that even if it seems slow and overwhelming, if you do it one pound at a time it will eventually all come off, as long as you stick at it. Looking back it can seem remarkably quick, even if it doesn't seem like it at the time!

Heather
05-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I started off well in the "morbidly" or "extreme" obesity range. In fact my BMI started off near 50, which is just about double-morbid obesity or some such. Depressing that I've lost almost 90 pounds and am still obese -- almost 30 pounds to "overweight" -- but I try to reframe it in a more positive light most of the time.

myholidayboyz
05-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Yep, I'm about 60 pounds away from "overweight". That will be a grand day, I tell ya!

mousie
05-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the chart, andoreth! According to that I'm juuuuuuuust tipping down into "Obese" from "Extreme Obesity" (I'm on the cutoff). Go me! :cb: I can tell you THAT is no place I ever plan on being again! :nono: It's 67 pounds from now til I hit "Overweight", and 34 beyond that til I hit "Normal". Given that "Normal" is nothing I have ever been, I'll take partway through overweight! :lol: My goal is 180, too (I'm 5'9). :)

Libby1972
05-30-2006, 07:47 PM
I have lost 43 lbs and I have another 11 to lose before I go from obese to overweight. Then another 23 to lose before I am "normal". That's the fun of being only 5' tall. So all in all I will lose 54 lbs to lose my obesity. Not very far from 60.

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS!!!! There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I can see it. I've been where you are and I am here now. You will get here too! And beyond. :hug: Just have faith. In yourself mostly. But just have faith.

You can do it. :carrot:

newfiedarling
05-31-2006, 10:17 AM
That BMI things gets me every time. I'm still in the overweight category. My goal is to make it to normal (that's how I chose my goal weight actually). So I still have 17 pounds to go before I'm considered "normal".

~Dee

Jo
05-31-2006, 10:27 AM
It could be worse . . . I need to lose 70 pounds just to go from the "extremely obese" to "obese" category! :o

I know it can be discouraging to look at the numbers, but you can do it. Just stay focused and take it one day at a time. (Now if only I could take my own advice;) )

Junia
05-31-2006, 10:46 AM
(Now if only I could take my own advice;) )

:D I'm the same way -- it's so much easier to coach other people through these things than to keep myself encouraged! I guess that's why we have boards like this one, no? :carrot:

Well, I'm sticking with the diet, and I keep telling myself I'm going to add exercise... I think one of these days I really will get moving, and that should help, too. I guess any progress is good, no matter how small of a step it is. It really helps to be making new friends here who are encouraging me, though. Thanks folks!

baby steps
05-31-2006, 07:59 PM
well try as I may I can't seem to find out how many obesities I have to lose....I'm more in the category (no pun intended) with Jo...since my BMI is almost 49 it is going to take me a long time to get out of morbidly obese first....

ah well....thats why I chose my name....

mindydaisy
05-31-2006, 09:54 PM
Thinking how much weight I have to lose just makes me depressed and that I can't believe that I did this to myself. :( Oh well I'll just keep moving along and trying my best.

Junia
06-01-2006, 12:35 AM
Thinking how much weight I have to lose just makes me depressed and that I can't believe that I did this to myself. :( Oh well I'll just keep moving along and trying my best.

First I thought to myself, "wow, that's exactly what I think to myself." And then I saw that you and I had the same starting weight! I also started at 270, and I set my goal at 140, which if I'm muscular should be good for my frame, I think. I'm down below 240 now, which means I have less than 100 pounds to go! Ok, that doesn't sound VERY encouraging, but it's all about the baby steps like our friend said a few posts ago! :carrot:

I just know that I'm going to need some people to encourage me along this journey. I'm so thankful I found this board... we have to stick together, because most other people just don't understand what we're going through!

kittymuse
06-01-2006, 10:30 AM
My goal weight is right in the middle between "normal" and "overweight". Currently I'm right in the middle of "obese" with 50 lbs to go to get to "overweight". I'm not as bad off as I thought - I expected myself to be at least in "extremely obese".

jtammy
06-01-2006, 11:28 AM
At my goal weight, I'll still be overweight. But it's been so long since I've been anything but obese or even extremely obese, which is where I started that overweight is looking good right now. :)

howie6267
06-01-2006, 11:38 AM
I will still be over weight at my goal also but I will be out of the obese range. With the extra skin that is hanging on me I am told I can add 20 to 30 lbs to the normal weight range and that would be normal for me. So that is how I came up with 225. I'm 6'2" and normal would be right around 195 - 200 range. I'm happy with that being that I have spent the better part of my life in the morbidly obese range.

Don't let the numbers drive you crazy though. Break it up into small goals and just keep going. You can do it.

DollyR
06-02-2006, 04:55 AM
179 and I will be "just" overweight?? Wow such a long way to go....

However if I make it to my first goal I will be out of the extremely overweight group.......come on first goal!!