Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - What's for breakfast?

View Full Version : What's for breakfast?

Suzanne 3FC
05-30-2006, 08:53 AM
What is your favorite healthy breakfast? Do you usually eat the same thing every day? Do you prefer traditional breakfast foods or something else?

:)

kykaree
05-30-2006, 08:56 AM
I always have oatmeal (porrige), cooked on the stove, with semi skimmed milk. I have a teaspoon of honey on it. When life is good, I have a chopped peach and a handful of blueberries, when life is not so good, I have grated apple. Or sometimes chopped strawberries. At the moment, life is good, and blueberries don't require one to take out a mortgage to buy them :D

I keep meaning to try other stuff for breaky, but I find anything else just down't keep me satisfied, I know where I am with my oatmeal!

ZedAus
05-30-2006, 09:05 AM
I am another oatmeal (yep, porridge for us too) fan. I use the raw oats, soak them overnight in skim milk and water, then microwave them in the morning and top with a drizzle of honey. YUM! They are definitely a 'comfort' food for me and they start my day off beautifully. I add a piece of fruit - generally whatever is in season. At the moment it is a pear, but I love stone fruit, so for a while it was a nectarine or a peach.

I always say that I am going to vary my breakfasts, but I just can't give up my oatmeal. In summer I mostly had cereal with skim milk and fruit, but I've been having the oatmeal and fruit for a while now and can't see me changing for a while.

Zelma

Cassie501107
05-30-2006, 09:33 AM
I cannot live without my chocolate chip waffles with a TINY bit of butter...no syrup....just butter. Or sometimes I put peanut butter on it....yummmmmy! I have it every morning.

imlovinit
05-30-2006, 09:48 AM
On days that I am not in a total hurry I really like to saute some broccoli in olive oil in a small pan at a med/high heat, then I pour scrambled eggs over it, turn the heat down to low and cover for 4-5 mins. Once the egg is fully cooked, flip over for a min and serve. For a bit of a sweeter egg you can add grated carrots and green onions to the saute.

I know, broccoli in eggs sounds really wierd but I tell ya...yum yum.

Meg
05-30-2006, 09:56 AM
Oatmeal (with cinnamon and Splenda) and scrambled Eggbeaters - every morning for the past five years. I never get tired of them and it's still my favorite meal of the day. :T

LLV
05-30-2006, 10:01 AM
I usually have scrambled egg whites and chocolate milk (I buy the sugar-free Nesquick). But I try and vary my breakfasts as much as possible. Sometimes I have a Lean Pocket breakfast pocket. Other times I'll have a South Beach breakfast wrap. Or a lowfat mini cheese omelet (pic below).

http://www.marketday.com/ProdMedium/5157.jpg

These little things here. They're wonderful. They're frozen individually, I just stick one in the microwave and I'm good. Only 60 calories each, I keep stocked up on them.

Then other days I'll have cereal. This morning I had oatmeal with 1/4 cup of blueberries mixed in. I also like hot oat bran and hot multigrain cereal with flax seed.

Glory87
05-30-2006, 10:30 AM
I usually rotate around the same three favorites:

2 pieces of whole grain toast (organic, sprouted 20 grain), natural peanut butter

1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/4 cup dried blueberries

1/4 cup egg beaters, whole wheat tortilla, spinach leaves, tons of salsa

I also like to smear peanut butter in a whole wheat tortilla, nuke it for 30 seconds and then roll it around a banana, heaven. I also like whole grain waffles and natural peanut butter.

Tani
05-30-2006, 10:39 AM
I rotate between Oatmeal (seems to be very popular), cold cereal (usually kashi) or yogurt with fruit and/or granola on top. I tend to eat one until I'm sick of it and then switch to the next for a few months.

I just tried a new oatmeal this morning that I really like. I found it at costco over the weekend. It has added protein (11 grams per serving) and comes in a to go cup. Looks like the brand name is "premium nutrition"

My Saturday staple restaurant breakfast (after the pool) is a multigrained pancake with jam and two poached eggs. :)

telemetrynurse
05-30-2006, 01:34 PM
I've recently fallen in love :love: with eating oatmeal mixed with 3 egg whites, splenda, vanilla and cinnamon. I beat the egg whites with the cinnamon, vanilla and splenda, add a little water then stir in oatmeal. I throw it in the microwave for 3 minutes and it is done! It comes out almost like a muffin. I've also made it with coconut extract or strawberry extract --instead of the cinnamon. It's YUMMY and it really fills me up until lunch. If I eat just oatmeal, without the extra protein in the egg whites, I find that I'm hungry again in a few hours.

I've found the most wonderful oatmeal to use! Strum's Healthy for your heart whole grain oatmeal--no sugar added, with heart healthy plant sterols and flaxseed. According to the label it: "helps: reduce cholesterol with 1g soluble fiber from oats, 300mg ALA Omega-3 from flaxseed, Supports healthy arteries--excellent source of antioxidants and B Vitamins, AND manage hypertension--low sodium and good source of potassium. It is an excellent source of Vitamins C & E along with 25mg of grape seed extract and Vitamins b12, B6 and Folic Acid.

The cool thing about my breakfast is that it is so good for me and tastes good too!:D

Depalma
05-30-2006, 09:42 PM
1 Cup of All-Bran w/extra fiber, w/cinnamon, skim milk, 1/2 cup of blueberries, and 1/2 cup of raspberries. Every morning for the past 6 months and I haven't yet gotten bored with it.

LLV
05-30-2006, 09:51 PM
I found a recipe tonight for Light Cream of Wheat Pancakes that sounded good. I went ahead and made the recipe, saving 2 pancakes for tomorrow morning's breakfast and froze the rest. It makes 6 pancakes.

2 egg whites
2/3 cup fat free milk
1/2 cup reduced fat buttermilk baking mix
1/2 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Cereal (1-minute, 2-1/2 minute or 10-minute cook time), uncooked
1 Tbsp. margarine, divided

BEAT egg whites and milk in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Add baking mix and cereal; stir just until moistened.
MELT 1-1/2 tsp. of the margarine on griddle. Using 1/4 cup of the batter for each pancake, cook on hot griddle until bubbles form on top. Turn to brown other side. Repeat with remaining margarine and batter.

I modified it slightly. I added a tablespoon of ground flax seed to the batter and I cooked them on my griddle with fat-free cooking spray rather than using the margarine. The original recipe is 240 calories for 2 pancakes, but I'm sure NOT using the margarine will cut some of those calories.

ValRock
05-30-2006, 09:57 PM
I always have the same thing :p... It's a chore to make myself eat breakfast in the morning so I try to pack as much nutrition into one glass as possible!

-1.5 cups skim or soy milk blended with:
-1 scoop chocolate whey protein
-1 tablespoon ground flax seed
-5 frozen strawberries

It's actually pretty good!

Hungry2Live
05-30-2006, 11:19 PM
ZedAus... your before and after pictures are INCREDIBLE!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

shyla2001
05-30-2006, 11:54 PM
ZedAus... your before and after pictures are INCREDIBLE!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

Wow! I'll second that! What an inspiration!!

2frustrated
05-31-2006, 05:24 AM
1/2C Kashi, 1/2 C oats (raw/cold), 1/4 C dried milk (for extra protein), 1/2 C skimmed milk makes me a cold cereal musli type breakfast.

Or 3 trimmed down bacon rashers (canadian bacon?) on 1 sl toast (wholewheat or multigrain) with a dry-fried egg on top and sometimes some mushrooms if I have them in!

Sometimes scrambled eggs on one slice of toast, also sometimes BfL apple pie, nuked apple with 1/2 C oats on top, then 1/2 C blendered cottage cheese with added splenda and vanilla :D In fact, I'm going to have that next! :D

jillybean720
05-31-2006, 06:08 AM
I go through phases of having the same thing every day for a week (or a few weeks) at a time. This week, it's Honey Bunches of Oats cereal (it was on sale) with sliced banana and skim milk. When the cereal runs out, it's back to what Glory described (maybe that's where I got the idea?)--a whole wheat tortilla with 1T natural peanut butter wrapped around a banana. I also occasionally make a smoothie for breakfast--1 banana, 1T peanut butter, and skim milk. Can you tell I like bananas? :p

Allikat
05-31-2006, 08:46 AM
I tend to mix it up a bit. At work I either eat oatmeal with a dried blueberries, or a yogurt and a banana. At home it's either Kashi with frozen berries and skim milk, or I like to make a fake-eroo mcmuffin with a whole wheat English muffin, a Morningstar Farms veggie sausage patty, some egg beaters and a slice of fat free cheese. Yuuuummmmm. I also love crunchy peanut butter on whole wheat toast.

YP1
05-31-2006, 02:24 PM
I always mix 50g jumbo porridge oats, 5g wheat bran, 80g frozen fruit (a mix of blueberries and raspberries) and some water and microwave for 4 minutes. Then I stir in a pot of fruity yoghurt (usually low fat/probiotic/omega oil enriched or some combination of the three). It looks like purple sludge, but it tastes good! I eat when I get to work after my workout so this works the easiest for me as I just weigh it out and microwave it when I get there. At weekends I sometimes mix it up a bit, and sometimes add things in like linseeds or try out things like quinoa porridge (not recommended), but that's the basic.

athenac
05-31-2006, 02:30 PM
I always try to have a whole grain, a fruit, and a dairy at breakfast. The past couple of weeks I've been having two pieces of whole grain toast with a little bit of butter and Laughing Cow cheese and a piece of fruit. I haven't gotten sick of it yet.

mauvaisroux
05-31-2006, 03:55 PM
I rotate breakfasts:

Fruit & yogurt
Cereal and 2% milk with berries or bananas
Toaster waffles or homemade pancakes with light syrup
2 slices of toast with 1 tbsp Kraft peanut butter
1 scrambled egg with 2 slices of turkey bacon or Canadian bacon
1 egg omeletwith lf cheese, mushrooms, peppers & onions

In the winter I make porridge or I sometimes use Quaker instant oatmeal packets.

FrouFrou
06-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Variety is the spice of life for me...can't have the same thing everyday. I alternate between oatmeal, one egg-dry toast and an apple, a shake, an orange and toast with peanut butter, pancakes w/o syrup or butter-like them plain, bowl of cheerios, cottage cheese w/crackers... just depends on what I am in the mood for.

phantastica
06-01-2006, 10:15 AM
I had shredded wheat today. On weekdays, I tend to have yogurt + fruit + cereal + nuts, but sometimes I have cereal or peanut-butter toast with fruit. On weekends, I try to do eggs with vegetables.

cardsfan2009
06-01-2006, 12:30 PM
I usually have oatmeal with about a tablespoon of 1% milk, 1.5 Tbsp of peanut butter, and a packet or two of splenda. Its really good and fills you up for a long time! Other times its scrambled eggs and whatever else i feel like eating that day (usually some kind of fruit: strawberries, an apple, etc.)

Alicia:)

Weddingin2007
07-23-2006, 11:03 PM
I eat one packet of the instant oatmeal. I always eat the same flavor cinnamon and spice, and just add water from the coffee maker at work that has the hot water dispenser.

Stir it a few times and breakfast is served. It is 170 calories, but it lasts me until lunch and has a sweet taste to curb the sweet tooth. I have eaten it everyday for 3 months.

Liz

Lyria
07-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Mine varies a bit usually rotating between:

- Bircher Muesli (homemade untoasted muesli mixed with 100 gms low-fat yoghurt left over night)

- Muesli topped with natural yoghurt (same ingredients I know, but completely different texture!)

- 4-5 Weetbix mushed up with hot water and equal

- 3 x slices of toast (either dark rye or wholemeal/multigrain) with vegemite

- 2 x Apples chopped up with yoghurt

- Bowl of Special K with skim milk

- Porridge made with water and sprinkled with brown sugar

- Bowl of natural low-fat yoghurt with mixed berries

I ADORE breakfast :D

Liv

BlueToBlue
07-24-2006, 03:26 AM
Monday through Thursday, I have 1 cup of high fiber cereal--either Flax Plus or High Fiber Cereal (that's actually the name) from Trader Joe's--with 4 oz unsweetened soy milk and fresh berries or freeze-dried strawberries.

Friday is oatmeal day. 1/2 cup quick oats cooked with salt and extra water so it comes out super creamy. Then I add brown sugar, cinnamon, and 2 oz unsweetened soy milk! Yum!

On weekends, my SO and I eat breakfast together and he is really big on breakfast meat. It's the one area where he has been really resistant to my diet (he's very enthusiastic about my low calorie dinners, so I guess I can't complain). So we have bacon (I have three slices) and a fat-free or whole grain English muffin with 1/2 tbsp homemade guava jelly (made it myself with guavas grown in our backyard) and 1/2 tbsp non-fat cream cheese.

Sometimes we mix it up on the weekends and have eggs (esp. if we're out of bacon or if there is stuff from the garden that goes well in eggs that I need to use up). I also found a recipe for ricotta pancakes that are only about 50 calories per pancake. They aren't the best pancakes I've ever had, but I make a raspberry, brown sugar, and cinnamon sauce to go with them and the whole thing comes out pretty good. So sometimes we have that on the weekends.

- Barbara

Sonny876
08-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Eggs and two slices of whole weat toast with a bit of jam on them and I always like fresh fruit with my breakfast so ill have a banana or a apple or i have small cup of chocklate covered strawberrys

Hmmmmmmmmmmm sounds yummy it is LOL

fiddler
08-28-2006, 02:07 PM
I usually have fruit and some type of gourmet cheese.

BreakingFree
08-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Weekday breakfast (don't remember how long I've been doing this, several years I think):

1/2 7-grain bagel (bagel from local shop, not national chain)
natural chunky peanut butter
1 large can regular V-8

There was a time when I ate brown rice cakes instead of the bagel.

Weekends are variable - cold cereal, oatmeal, eggs, breakfast tacos, pancakes, etc. We go out to brunch once a month with another couple so there's always a chance to try something we don't make at home.

athenac
09-03-2006, 03:25 PM
I've recently fallen in love :love: with eating oatmeal mixed with 3 egg whites, splenda, vanilla and cinnamon. I beat the egg whites with the cinnamon, vanilla and splenda, add a little water then stir in oatmeal. I throw it in the microwave for 3 minutes and it is done! It comes out almost like a muffin. I've also made it with coconut extract or strawberry extract --instead of the cinnamon. It's YUMMY and it really fills me up until lunch. If I eat just oatmeal, without the extra protein in the egg whites, I find that I'm hungry again in a few hours.

I just made this and must admit was a little scared watching it cook in the microwave. I thought it was going to overflow or explode. When I tasted it, I don't think I put enough vanilla or I didn't use splenda (I have sweet and low). I put a drizzle of honey and more cinnamon on top. I also needed some crunch so I took a honey almond Kashi bar and crumbled it on top. It's pretty good. My mother even likes it, and she's a pretty picky eater. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Yogini
09-03-2006, 03:41 PM
I may have a smoothie with hemp protein powder (14 grams of fiber, 11 grams of proteina dn 3 grams of fat per serving!), orange juice, Silk Enhanced soymilk, mango, strawberry, pineapple and ground flax

OR

I may have whole grain oats, wheat, rye, barley cooked in soymilk, with a small amount of nuts, ground flax and dried, fresh or frozen fruit

OR

I may have a veggie and bean or lentil stew or tofu and veggie 'stir-fry' (cooked without oil)

Ilene
09-03-2006, 03:57 PM

This is my winter oatmeal concoction too... But I add soy or regular milk about half a cup and stir with a wisk every minute it's in the microwave, a total of 3 minutes. In the end it tastes like an oatmeal custard :T ...

Lately I've been mixing 1/4c bran buds with psyllium and 1/4c dry oatmeal with 1/2c soy milk and a tsp of Splenda. I let that sit while I make a 4 eggwhite omelette which I throw in a 6 inch pan with a bit of olive oil... I flip the eggwhites over for a minute and voila, quicky omelette...

I also need protein everytime I eat because I just can't make it to the next meal without protein...

cupcake84
09-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Every morning, for like the past month, i make like a egg white scramble, with one of those small cartons of egg whites, green and red pepper, mushrooms and onions and scramble it in my non stick skillet and when it comes out i sometimes add some low fat cheese, depends onmy mood but i always add salsa, it is soooo good
yummy im hungry now just thinking about it!

Diem
09-28-2006, 03:16 AM
I change a lot. Usually something like a cup of cereal with half a cup skim milk, along with an oatmeal packet (usually 120 - 140 calories) and finally some coffee with Coffee-Mate liquid creamer. My breakfast is usually around 350 calories or so.

I recently got some bagels and whipped cream cheese, so I need to eat up that since I already opened the cream cheese and it expires after about a week of opening. Along with that, I'll probably just make up for the extra calories with two cups of coffee. I'm addicted to coffee, but I couldn't have cereal, the bagel and coffee. It'd just be a bit too much. Two cups of coffee would get me to about 320.