100 lb. Club - The moan thread

View Full Version : The moan thread

kykaree
05-29-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm having a GOW (grumpy old woman moment).......so I wanted to have a moan.

Ok I go to the gym 5 days a week (seven if you count my yoga and swimming day!)

I've lost 60 odd pounds.

Then why oh why can't I still not find a decent pair of gym shorts???? I had to buy men's nike ones today, as I wanted something with a bit of stretch, not too short (I don't mind the cellulite on my thighs, but I really don't want to inflict it on the innocent bystanders at my run ;) ), I didn't want tights, as my bum resembles J-Lo's in a skirt, but Roseanne Barr's in the olden days in tight shorts :p .

I'm just grumpy. The mens football shorts will be fine, but it just made me :mad:

Any one else have a grumpy old woman moment????

SuchAPrettyFace
05-29-2006, 02:49 PM
(I don't mind the cellulite on my thighs, but I really don't want to inflict it on the innocent bystanders at my run ;) ):rofl:

Yes, yes I did. I wanted to make a fresh strawberry/soymilk smoothie. I let the strawberries go for too long, now they are bad. :rollpin:

andoreth
05-29-2006, 02:55 PM
My GOW:

I live in a surfing community, in a quadraplex with a nice yard and a 6 foot tall privacy fence. More often than not the people in the other apartments have been surfers, and they leave their suits on the fence to dry. Every time I see them, I have an almost irresistable urge to get one of those big black handbags with the wooden handles and use it to whack them about the heads and shoulders, saying words like "whipper-snappers" and "tom-foolery".

midwife
05-29-2006, 03:15 PM
: ) FWIW, I wear men's athletic shorts too, cause #1, they are comfortable and #2 I usually steal my husband's.

madscientist
05-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Andoreth, I can relate! I'm always catching myself saying "damn kids!" or "What the **** is wrong with this generation?!" I even call some of the modern music noise and complain that I could do better with a wooden spoon and some stew pots. I have become my mother already. :shrug: I'm seriously still rather young too, so everyone worries about what kind of mean old bat I'm going to be when I'm old! I think I will be one of those old grannies that will straight run you over in the motorized cart or stomp your foot with a cane if you're being obnoxious while next to me in, say, a movie theatre. I've already yelled at kids to get out of my yard, so that's said and done. LOL. It just seems natural to me that I start using terms like you mentioned. I'm a set of dentures and an AARP membership away from that point already!:dizzy:

dragonwoman64
05-29-2006, 05:29 PM
I take a walk 3 or 4 times a week on the quiet avenue in our neighborhood and just have a major GOW moment for anyone that doesn't pick up after their dogs. We live in a big city, people. C'mon, get those pooper scoopers goin' and work it!

SwimGirl
05-29-2006, 09:21 PM
kykaree - they don't make those types of shorts for women really... we got some in my store and they were sold out before anyone got a chance to really see them!!

I have a very grumpy thing, the other day a "friend" came to see me at work, and while she was in the fitting room she STOLE 3 items!!!!! I cannot wrap my mind around the event, and everytime I think about it .. I get mega cranky.

-Aimee

famograham
05-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Aimee...that's awful!!!!

How old is this person, 14?

I hope you told her off!

:hug:
Linda

SwimGirl
05-29-2006, 11:54 PM
Linda - I can't 100% prove it, so yah.. nothing I can do. Infact if I were to say something to her, she could sue my company and I could get in trouble. I basically have to pretend nothing happened.. boy it's a crappy situation!

-Aimee

Stevi-rocks
05-30-2006, 12:09 AM
I have one!! I live in sunny California, Orange County no less. I went to the Laundry matt to wash a few comforters that don't fit in my machine. I was in and out for about an hour, passed or stood near at least 15 different people, looked at them and smiled and was completely ingored every single time. RUDE! (As usual)

famograham
05-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Wow, Stevi...that's insane!

I live in a little Canadian town...where that just doesn't happen.
Everyone you meet, or pass..seems to have a smile and a hello to offer.

I consider myself very lucky!
I'm sorry people are like that there, that would really bug me too.

Linda

Foreverhopefull
05-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Linda,

Remember Canadians have the reputation of being extremely polite. You are right though, small Canadian towns have a habit of being extremely friendly and you can't keep a secret there since everyone knows you or someone you know.

I also live in small town and it's amazing how people act. Dh and I just bought a house, weel, within a week. I had conversations with both my neigbours, their wifes didn't appreciate as much but that's fine.;)

What makes me turn into a GOW is when the kids (people in general) don't respect your property ( I get upset when it's others property too). I think that people pay enough money on morgage and taxes that we shouldn't need to put a lock on lawn ornements or built 8" high fences to keep your stuff safe. I told a kid the other that I was going to ask the owners of the tress they were distroying, by runing thru them, to run thru their bed until it was destroyed to see how they liked it....they never did it since..LOL

famograham
05-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Yup!

That's why I'm so proud to live where I do...and also why it truly upsets me when I come across unfriendly or cold people. I guess I'm just conditioned to friendliness :)

Linda

andoreth
05-30-2006, 01:38 PM
I think the smile as you pass is a smaller town vs. bigger city phenomenon. At least, when I lived in Milwaukee, I was never smiled at nor did I smile at anyone else. It's like there are just too many people. too much external stimuli (cars, buildings, signs, movement, sound), and you have to block everything out in order to cope with the overload. When you pass 25 people walking 3 blocks downtown, smiling at passers-by soon gets dropped.

I moved from there to a small town in central Arkansas (talk about culture shock). I can still remember the first time someone I didn't know smiling at me and waving too, since he was passing me, but on the other side of the street! Of course, being a tough kid from the big city, I thought it was the hokiest thing I had ever seen. It wasn't long, though, before I got into the habbit and started smiling- and still do to this day.

One thing I have noticed, though- even in big cities you can "catch a smile" if you take a walk in the park, are in a museum, or other restfull, uplifting place. A place where people can open themselves up to their surroundings. lol, I have to say that I don't think a laundromat would be my choice for one of those places. :lol:

famograham
05-30-2006, 01:46 PM
:lol:

That completely makes sense!
I know that I am BEYOND overloaded when I go to a big city!

Linda

nelie
05-30-2006, 02:12 PM
I am a misplaced Californian and I have to say that I don't really like looking at strangers let alone smile. Partly I think it is because of my weight that I like to fade into the background (not that it is really possible). I also really don't like talking to strangers and it bothers me when I'm in a store and someone comes to help me when i don't need help. I just like to be left alone. It is a form of solitude I guess and I like it. I think kids are different though and I'll tend to smile and wave at kids.

I'm getting better though, I used to not like to answer the phone because I didn't know who would be on the other end. If it wasn't someone I wanted to talk to at that moment or someone I didn't know, then I didn't want to answer it. It was hard to do that when I started working though because I was constantly "meeting" people via the phone through work.

If someone smiles or waves at me though, I will smile or wave back. I would think it rude not to do so. I wouldn't initiate a smile though.

YP1
05-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Can I moan about people who arrange conference calls for 1.30pm on my birthday when I've arranged lunch with a friend? Well, I'm going to anyway...

Grrr.

Stevi-rocks
05-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Ya know maybe its that I spent so much time in Texas as an adolesent. To me, for two people to be standing in a room for 20 minutes alone, periodically walking past each other and never once pass so much as a glance to one another is really weird. What you can't see me??? Is everyone here in the OC shy somehow?? Not every stinkin' moment is occupied by an abundance of stimuli! Yet nearly every person in every instance is exactly the same. Its a culture here and no matter how you slice it, its rude.

DNR
05-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Here's my Old Woman complaint:

I hate when people call me "honey" or "hon" when they don't know me. There is a gal who I speak to on the phone occassionally at work who wouldn't know me if she saw me but she calls me "honey" every time. That just annoys me to no end. It's almost as bad as "babe" which is the all time worst.

DNR

andoreth
05-30-2006, 04:18 PM
OoOooooh DNR- you and I are in the exact same boat! GNGNGNGN!! Just the sound of that makes my skin crawl and my nails itch.

Also, I have the dubious pleasure of wearing a name tag at work. My stomach hurts every time someone obviously reads the tag and calls me by my first name, like they have known me for years. I don't know, to me names are personal. Once I give you my name, I am giving you permission to use it, the name tag is just there so you know who to complain about if I'm a jerk or incompetent. But then, I did live in the South long enough to think that words like "Sir" and "Ma'am" have a use.

BTW: my name is Jen, you'all have my permission to use it.:D (or andoreth, since there are about 100,000,000 Jens:p)

Stevi-rocks
05-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Oh the Hon , Sweetie, Babe thing!!!!!! I have forever hated that to the point of immediantly correcting whom ever addressed me that way. Its especially bad if its another woman. Sooo condecending! Good one DNR!!

Lekker
05-30-2006, 10:24 PM
When I lived in Scotland, I got called "lass" or "lassie" all the time by the guys where I was temp-working (I was the only female at my depot)...even by the guys who were only a year or two older than me! I'm not sure when they would stop referring to me as "lass" as I was already 26. And I'd hear them talk about me that way too: "Give it to the lass in the office." Maybe it was because they took awhile to remember my name... :)

Back home in Canada, I sometimes get called "dear", but more often it would be "miss"...though once I got "Mam" and that wasn't so fun; made me feel so old!

Something else I would like to complain about: female shirts not being long enough! I have a long torso so sometimes it's really hard to find a shirt that won't ride up when I shrug or raise my arms. I find it *extremely* difficult to find tank tops or camis to wear underneath shirts or in layers because they are all too short! Argh. For sports I always get men's shirts because they are long enough for me to tuck in and still have lots of room. Perhaps when I get down to goal I'll be able to live with the shorter lengths since my stomach will be reduced (though it'll still be long), but for now it's *annoying*.

Also, why is it that at Walmart (in Canada) I can find lots of men's sport pants (i.e. way too long for me) that are the 'slippery', smooth type (you know, so the friction between my thighs is not as bad?) but all the women's sport pants at Walmart are stupid fuzzy, crappy, clingy cotton-y things that are probably the worst option for someone looking for reduced inner-thigh-friction?!

newfiedarling
05-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Here's my GOW. Why in the world would you choose to wear underwear reamed all the way up your a$$ as far as they can go just so people can see the tops of them above your already too low waisted jeans? Makes me want to run over to eveyone I see like this and give them a good yank. I wonder if this is a sign that I'm aging?

~Dee

DNR
05-31-2006, 10:15 AM
Dee,

I love it! I am with you on that one. How could that string in your a$$ crack be comfortable? I have a friend who wears those (but they don't show above her jeans) and she says you get used to it - there isn't any way I'd get used to that. I'd be wanting to dig them out constantly.

I'd rather show panty lines than have that going on.

DNR

SwimGirl
05-31-2006, 11:09 AM
Seamless undies!! I swear by them!!

Lekker - I have a long torso, and a VERY low rise (I'm the one they make ULTRA low rise pants for, they sit above my belly button). You should hit up Pennington's MXM t-shirts and tanks, and also Old Navy does longer length tanks, I layer the tanks under shorter t-shirts.

-Aimee

dragonwoman64
05-31-2006, 01:09 PM
me three on the Sweetie, Hon, Babe. I'm not sure how that ever gets to be an ok way to address someone in anybody's book.

taekwondomom
06-01-2006, 03:17 AM
I have a moan!
As much as I LOVED (past tense!!) being pregnant:preg:, I hate being asked "When is your baby due?" when I AM NOT PREGNANT and my 'baby' turned 3 in April!!
Honestly, this is a common occurance in my life and at certain times of the month it makes me paranoid that I am pregnant and just haven't realised it yet! :eek:

On one had is is flattering to me, in an odd kind of way, that they even ask. I take it to mean the rest of me looks small enough that my too round tummy just looks pregnant not fat. But it is embarrassing (for me and for the one asking) when I tell them, in the spirit of being honest, that there is no baby just too much fat.
On the other hand, I hate it because no one asked me when my baby was due when I was actually pregnant!
Does anyone else encounter this? How do you deal with it?
Perhaps I could say, "Thanks, Sweetie/Honey/Babe, but that's no baby; just baby fat?" ;) :lol:

kykaree
06-01-2006, 04:55 AM
When I lived in Scotland, I got called "lass" or "lassie" all the time by the guys where I was temp-working (I was the only female at my depot)...even by the guys who were only a year or two older than me! I'm not sure when they would stop referring to me as "lass" as I was already 26. And I'd hear them talk about me that way too: "Give it to the lass in the office." Maybe it was because they took awhile to remember my name... :)

In Scotland your a lass until your 90 ;)

I loathe the :preg: remarks. And normally do the "no I'm not pregnant just enormous" and twirl off!

Oh and the visible underwear thing!!! Where did I put that diamante thong???? :devil:

tchrnow
06-01-2006, 06:03 AM
I'm a high school teacher and the latest??? in thongs??? Ready....JEWERLY on the back of the waist band. They WANT the thongs to show. All I can think is ouch, it's up your butt and I then take comfort in my 'granny' undies.

GOW: Why do people say, "now don't tell but" why are they telling if they shouldn't. Keep your word to keep your mouth shut!!!!

Also, don't pretend to be my ally or friend when you're talking about me and stabbing me in the back.

And finally, If you say you are going to do something....DO IT!!!

dragonwoman64
06-01-2006, 01:37 PM
On the other hand, I hate it because no one asked me when my baby was due when I was actually pregnant!
Does anyone else encounter this? How do you deal with it?
Perhaps I could say, "Thanks, Sweetie/Honey/Babe, but that's no baby; just baby fat?" ;) :lol:

:rofl:

hey, I'm still working on the concept of buying jeans that look dirty. I haven't made it to thongs yet, let alone bejeweled thongs, heh heh. (I guess the truth is I wore acid washed jeans in my day, which dates me, heh heh)

jtammy
06-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Why in the world would you choose to wear underwear reamed all the way up your a$$ as far as they can go just so people can see the tops of them above your already too low waisted jeans? Makes me want to run over to eveyone I see like this and give them a good yank.
~Dee

:rofl: Me too! I know I'm too old to think that looks decent!

On the "ma'am" and "sir" thing, whether you like that or not definitely depends on where you live. Most people here think that children that don't learn to use sir and ma'am are rude, but I know it drives my in-laws (who live in the Pacific NW) crazy when my kids yes ma'am or no ma'am them.

mindydaisy
06-02-2006, 12:45 AM
I was in and out for about an hour, passed or stood near at least 15 different people, looked at them and smiled and was completely ingored every single time. RUDE! (As usual)

I live in So. Cal too and if you would have smiled at me I would have smiled and said hi back, maybe that's just me. But hey remember you're in the OC which is full of So. Cal's. snootist rudist people. Personally I think that in So. Cal. that most people lack simple common courtsey.

I'm with you guys on the thong thing and the girls that wear the low rise jeans that show the tops of the thongs. I hate to say it but another thing that bugs me about this fashion trend is the, as one of my friends calls it, "tramp stamp", which is the tatoo on the lower back that is visable right above the top of thong. So, not only are they showing off their low rise jeans/bejeweled thongs but also their colorful "tramp stamps"... I mean get some class (this is my personal vent).

You guys are funny and make me laugh with some of GOW posts thanks it's what was needed today :) - Mindy

Stevi-rocks
06-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Thank you mindy for feelin' my pain. This thread always makes me smile. I have another and wanna see if anybody else notices this. Its the advertisments for mascara..I know that sounds funny but I am an avid wearer of false eyelashes (mine are sooooo short) I have been wearing them for some 10 years now (before it was common) In ALL of the photos for mascara ads the models are wearing them!!! Or they have their lashes photo shopped or both. Its soooo misleading. Drives me nutz.

trishn222
06-03-2006, 04:36 PM
I am laughing at the underwear thing, but let me tell you a little story. The other day we were in a Mcdonald's getting the kids some lunch. They were playing in the toys and my sister (who is 22) was bent over picking up one of the kids to put onto one of the toys. Her underwear were showing out the top of her pants just because she was bent over. This man that was in his 40s comes up to her, yanks on her underwear and says "When I walk in here this is all I see." Can you say PERVERT. I think that is one of the most inappropriate things I have ever seen happen. My mom, sisters and I were just in shock with a jaw dropping moment. Just wanted to share that and maybe think on that next time you see them peeking out the top.

kykaree
06-03-2006, 06:02 PM
As a wearer of Bridget Jones knickers, I feel her pain. Oh and a tip to those of you losing weight, replace your underwear as you go down.Size 26 undies do not go under size 18 jeans, ask me how I know ;)

As for that man :rollpin: How dare he!!!??? A point and a stare at someone deliberately wearing a visible thong is one thing, doing that to anyone - just wrong.

My GOW today is kids. They have taken to playing football (soccer) outside our house. Now our house is built on a cross roads, right on the street, no garden or anything. The balls hit our trach cans, our windows, our doors, it drives me mental, and with World Cup fever sweeping Britain it's getting worse.

I would never ever let my kids play on the street. What makes me really mad is we have two playing fields 5 minutes walk away from our house!!!!

NavyWifeDee
06-16-2006, 06:45 AM
You guys all gave me a great laugh and smile.. I'm with everyone on the thongs... My sis-in-law is a teacher, and will wear these... EEEWWW.

Just wanted to throw out a suggestion I found. If you can wear an XL, sportskirts makes cute little skirts (to cover butts) that have attached little shorts underneath for exercising.. breathable fabric, and even has a pocket for your mp3 player and a buttonhole on the side to run the cord for the earphones through. Rather expensive though. If I can lose 20 more pounds, I may try some, because being tall, I think another 20 will put me back in the xl range, hopefully.

Dee

Foreverhopefull
06-16-2006, 11:56 AM
:lol: You guys are hilarious!

I totaly agree with the thong comments. We have students at work that wear them all the time with their low rise pants.

How do you feel about those camies that they wear that you can see their bras straps?

Here's one of my GOB moment:Do you guys have a hard time finding pants that are not low rise? It seems that no matther what size you wear you must wear low rise. Don't they get that wearing low rise pants when your big makes you look twice your size?

My second GOB moment: People that are constently condesending to you for no reason . We have a student here that thinks she's all that and so much more because her dad is friend's with our boss. Of course , she has a different act when the boss is around and she hates french ( which I am ).

taekwondomom
06-22-2006, 03:45 AM
I have a moan...
about me forgetting to log in part of my breakfast for Tuesday. (I don't plan out before hand what I will eat, just tally it up as I go. I like the flexibility it gives me and I usually don't have any problems.)
So I thought I had a 300 calorie surplus to 'spend' for the day when I actually didn't and I ended up actually over my calories for the day. :(
Went over today today too, but only about 100 calories, but those were controlled and pre-planned snacks for at the movies. Shared chocolate, dots, and popcorn with my 3 kids and DH. :D

tchrnow
06-22-2006, 08:01 AM
I thought I had a 300 calorie surplus to 'spend' for the day:D

Been there too....it's that sinking feeling when you hear the "click" and realize you have locked your keys in the car...

Look at it for the entire week... overall, 400 kcals won't be a breaking point and get in some extra exercise to compensate.
Lynne