Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 09:47 AM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default Week of May 29

Hey everyone. I know its a holiday for you Americans so I don't expect you'll be wasting it on the computer so I thought I would start a new thread for this week. Hope you are having a great Memorial Day weekend!

I went to WalMart on my way home from work this morning and bought a few summer clothes. I don't have much in the way of clothes. I have hospital scrubs for work, 2 pairs of loose fitting cotton pants, a few t-shirts that fit and that is about it. I have a couple of nice dressy type shirts and a dressy outfit that would be suitable for an occasion in the fall or winter. I have about 2 pairs of shorts (men's shorts) that fit and they've got paint on them from when we were renovating last summer. So I thought it was time to buy a few things that fit and were summery. I bought 2 tanks tops, 1 white and 1 pink, 1 pair of white shorts and a pair of beige capris. I'm semi stunned that I bought a pair of white shorts but I figured what the heck, like I'm hiding the fact that I am overweight by wearing navy or black clothes all the time? I'm still in a denial phase about being overweight. I refuse to buy a lot of clothes because someday I will lose weight and I don't want a ton of 'fat' clothes hanging around. This has been going on oh about 20 years now or so. Leaves me without much in the way of clothes as I have described to you.

So my eating has been pretty good lately and continuing on with my water okay. With it being about a zillion degrees out today I"ll probably be drinking even more. Haven't been exercising much lately. Have to work on that too I guess.

Hope everyone is great and I"ll see you later!
Old 05-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #2  

Hey Jen!

I am hiding from the heat, my yard work and my house work. We're not doing much of anything exciting today. I went and got groceries this morning. Hopefully I can spread them out for a ocuple weeks, b/c they weren't cheap.

My eating is craptastic. I am so ashamed of it. I might start joining Maggie in posting my tracking b/c then I will may be eat better as not to be embarassed. I am aproaching my 1 year WW aniversary and I weigh more than when I started.

Well, I should go clean. My neighbor is getting ready to sell her house so the kids will be at my house all week. She's doing all kinds of painting and stuff, and would prefer the kids not be into her stuff. So I suppose I need to make the place presentable.

Have a great day all!
Old 05-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #3  

Hey...where is Jeanne?
Old 05-29-2006, 03:31 PM   #4  
Jen

Misty, I know what you mean about the heat. It was hot this morning when I came home and it is hotter in the house now so I can just imagine what the heat is like outside. It is almost 80 in the bedroom, downstairs is 73 and I was in the basement and it is nice and cool. I may start living down there! We have central air, had it on for a bit last night to cool the house down but I'm not planning on having it on 24/7 for the entire summer. We'll probably have it on in the early evening and overnight as needed so we can sleep, otherwise it won't be on. I can just imagine my electricity bills already! We get stuck in the winter with the gas bill and in the summer with the electricity bill, there is no winning at all to try and save money. I don't want to have one of those houses that is ice cold in the summer because then it is like a million times worse when you go outside.

Anyway I actually went and rode my exercise bike for 25 minutes, that was all I could manage, my bum was going numb after not riding it for several weeks. I'm not working at all this week so I'm going to try and ride it every day. It is going to be too hot this week to do a lot of exercising outside. I want to do yard work but walking for exercise would be too hot, better to stay in my cool basement and ride my bike.

Misty, is this the neighbour that you babysit for that is trying to sell the house? How is your sister doing with her WLS surgery, is it scheduled for anytime soon? I have a great website that she should check out www.onefat*****ypoo.com well anyone can look at it of course but the woman that writes there just had WLS a few months ago (this is the woman I have talked about before...FYI she has lost almost 80 lbs in I think 3 months or so and now weighs less than me) and she is writing about her experiences with it so maybe your sis would like to read it.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:36 PM   #5  

I will pass the link to my sister. Her surgery will be scheduled 4-6 weeks from May 18th, pending the results or pre surgery tests and appointments. She has to do a stress test, ekg, psychiatrist and nutrionist visits and maybe a few more. So as soon as those are in then she's gets a date. Most likley then it will be by the end of summer. She says that the doctor foresees doing it laproscopically, if that is the case she will be back to work in two weeks. If problems arise and they do it the old fashioned way she will be out 6 weeks.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:36 PM   #6  

Jen, clothes shopping is a bit torturing for me. I have a vision of what it is suppose to look like on me, but it never looks like that vision once it's on me in the fitting room. Good for you on buying white! I know the so-called experts say that dark clothing is slimming, but I think, "It's not the shorts that make my butt look fat, it's my butt!" lol I hope that doesn't offend anyone, but that's my way to motivate myself! (I never said that I was normal.)

I'm home by myself for the holiday. My husband chose to work (since he gets holiday pay). I've been cleaning, and I just jogged for 30 minutes. Man was it hot!! I think it's around 90 degrees. I took two showers when I got home. I know that I was still sweating after I took my first shower!! Gross!

Misty, I'll start posting my meals too. One of my biggest problems is that I eat so many foods that I don't really know how many points it is worth. The program works...we just need to stick with it and believe that we can do it.

You're right--where is Jeanne!?
Old 05-29-2006, 04:24 PM   #7  

I need to get a handle on this. Right now, this minute. I ate 2 regular size almod joy bars (you know the pack with two in them so I ate four little bars), and a 2 pack of reese cups when I went and got groceries today. Not mention the combos, pop and restaraunt food I have been chowing down on.

So instead of getting abck on track tomarrow afte rmy meeting or Wednesday morning when my week would start. I am going to start counting again right now. I'll start a new tracker. I am cooking a nice healthy dinner. So I figured why not start right now? I like starting my points at 5 pm, better than starting them in the morning. So really why should I wait until tomarrow, why not start tonight at 5?

So I am off to post my dinner on the what I ate today thread. Maybe we should get back to doing a weekly one like we did when we all got started here.

BTW great job on the run today Steph!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #8  

Hi, can I join you? I remember Misty from another thread under dr. phil, and jen too. I am just starting back on WW, we are trying to conceive and am currently during some fertility treatments, and I have to lose weight so I can have less of risks during pregnancy. My ob/gyn says that WW is the only thing she will let me do while trying to conceive. I hope it's ok to join ya'll.
Hugs,
Donna in Indiana
Old 05-30-2006, 08:20 AM   #9  
Jen

Hi Donna! Great to see you. Of course you are welcome. I'm not even doing WW and everyone has been very welcoming.

Misty, I think that is a good idea to journal what you eat. I find that I am very conscious of what I am eating if I know I have to write it down. You might want to look at that web site as well, the woman that writes it is very funny and there is a link to her other site, just about normal stuff not weight related.

Yep, it is definately my fat @ss that looks big not the shorts (pardon my French). So why not wear something that at least looks summery instead of wearing dark colours and feeling weird when everyone is wearing cute summer clothes.

We had the A/C cranked after about 6pm and it was nice and cool downstairs but upstairs was still hot. We closed all the vents downstairs and that did a lot to cool off upstairs. It was about 75 upstairs and 70 downstairs so it was comfortable enough for sleeping. My son's room was still kind of warm so we put on his little fan. I think he likes the noise from it anyway and it really helps to cool things down. I hate it when it is so hot and humid that it is almost impossible to go outside. Our backyard is completely exposed, no shade at all so it is like a furnace when it is like this. Our front porch is shaded in the afternoon so it is nice to sit out there at least.

Take care all, have a great day!
Old 05-30-2006, 01:59 PM   #10  

Hi Donna-So funny that you came back just now. I honestly was wondering about you yesterday or the day before. How funny. Like Jen said you are welcome!

Jen-I envy your ac. It was so unbearble last night I almost considered trying to put the kids to bed downstairs where at least it was tolerable. We need to invest in some kind of sytem, be it ac or a whole house fan. DS was miserable last night, though he tried his best to sleep.

I am so sick. I have never been this sick ever. This is TMI, but I have terrible intestinal cramps and I have to run to the bathroom every 5 minutes, and I am throwing up as I am sitting there. I am so weak I feel like I am going to pass out. The lady I watch kids for took DD for me, but DS is the one who is an issue. Thank goodness he is being pretty good and at the momen taking a nap. I fI am not better by the morning I may be at the er. I am typing now istead of resting b/c teh couch is killing my back and I can't go upstairs b/c there is no bathroom up there.

Well I better go. have a great day.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:45 PM   #11  
Jen

Misty, sorry to hear that you are so sick, is it one of those 24 hour stomach bugs? I had one of those in March so I know how it feels when things are coming out x 2. Yóu'll probably be over it in a few hours, I think mine lasted about 8 hours the last time. Hope you are better soon.

Just checking in, wanting to delay the time when I have to go back outside. We went and bought a tree for the backyard this morning. I still cannot get over how much trees cost. Anyway after I took ds to school I came home and trimmed the edges of the lawn, that took about 30 minutes and I was dripping with sweat then. I came in and haven't gone out since. I need to mow the lawn but that is going to wait until tomorrow morning when it is cooler and the backyard is shade for a bit. I mopped and did some vacuuming but I need to go out for some stuff. It is almost 79 upstairs and it was 74 downstairs. We are going to try and keep the ac only for the night time. Envy my ac Misty until I tell you what my electricity bill is! That is why we are only running it at night. Can you get even a small one for the upstairs Misty? That is what we did the summer after ds was born because we knew he couldn't handle the heat at night. Our old place would be like 90 plus at night in the middle of summer. So we got a small ac that we put in his room and it was big enough that if we put a fan in the hallway we would get enough cool air in our bedroom so that it was a million times better than without it. Also we had a ceiling fan going constantly.

Well I'd better go and face the heat, it isn't going to get any better any time soon.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:26 PM   #12  

Thanks for the welcome chicks!! Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well, Misty. Hope you get better soon. Jen, I know how you feel about the heat. We have our A/C on, we don't have to pay utliities where we live, it's included in the rent, so I have it running. It was 92 already here today!! I dread taking the dogs out in the heat, becuase I am always sweaty by the time the get done pottying. Well, have a great night chicks!!
Hugs,
Donna
Old 05-31-2006, 07:06 AM   #13  

Good Morning!

I am feeling better. It must have been a short bug. But So far I am the only one who caught it.

I lost dragged myself to my meeting...I made DH drive me...just long enough to weigh in so I could get a new tracker. I was down 4.5 pounds. Allf rom being sick I am sure.

I have to run. My hosu eis a wreck. The nighbor girl who is 14 is going to start coming 3 days a week from 10-1 for the summer to help me with the kids. It will be great to have some extra hands.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:08 AM   #14  
Jen

Hey Misty, glad to hear you are feeling better. I lost about 5 lbs from being sick that time as well. It is nice to see the number go down on the scale but annoying when it goes back up because it was all water that you actually need! That will be nice to have someone else around to help with the kids even for a few hours a day.

Donna, with was like 98 outside yesterday at one point with the humidity and it got up to 80 in my bedroom without the ac, with the ac it got down to about 75 which was comfortable enough to sleep. My mom lives in an apartment building and they are now making the residents pay an extra amount for the summer if they have an ac so she wasn't going to put it in but I told her she was being silly because she is over 60 and not in the best health, some people cannot do with out it 24/7. Just these past couple of days it has probably been as hot as it will ever be during the summer so we've seen here that the house can stay comfortable during the day (downstairs at least got up to 75 during the day with no ac) and just run it at night. I wish more people would try and just run their ac like that. Obviously people like my mom need it all the time but say people like myself don't need it all the time. My neighbours had theirs running all day and no one was home, I could here it running when I was outside. I'd hate to see their electricity bill!

Anyway I mentioned the other day this web site of this woman who has had WLS and after one of her journal posts there is a comment section and someone was talking about how they would lose weight too if they were only eating 600-800 calories a day (the woman had said in her journal post that is about how much she is eating a day). Well that kind of clicked with me. Obviously it is quite safe for someone who is 100 lbs overweight to cut back on calories that much as long as they are getting enough protein and vitamins etc. Lots of people go on very low calorie diets all the time, it is just a matter of being able to stick with it. I'm just wondering if I could get enough protein. I"m not sure that I eat enough now. Something to think about.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 05-31-2006, 08:19 AM   #15  

Jen-Once Summer has her surgery she will be required to have some crazy number like 50 some grams of protein a day. Protein must come before all other foods. But it's more than the cutting back of calories that makes WLS work. SUmmer was down to that many calories and nothing was happening b/c of her PCOS and IR. My understanding is b/c WLS changes the way the food is digested it actually cures or mostly cures IR b/c it's sort of bypassing the area where that portion of diegestion would have occured. The doctor's are not 100% sure on how exactly this works. But the very low calorie diet works for some people, but without the limitation a reduced stomach provides, you will feel hungry.

Also, Summer will never be allowed to have sugar again. Sure many WLS patients do enjoy it after surgery, but in order to keep her IR in check and to maintain the loss she was told never agian. I couldn't live with that. No carbonated beverages, no oranges b/c of the membranes, no skins of veggies or fruit. She will ahve to limit "white stuff" like flour and stuff.

Sure, I'd love to wake up one morning and have the weight just falling off and feel full after 4 ounces, but to NEVER EVER have Mountain Dew again, or a peice of cake...no thanks.

If you do try the very low calorie diet (which I don't recommend), be safe and focus on that protien. Summer will have protein shakes for breakfast.

Well I have tons of house work to do and no energy to do it Hvae a great day all!!!!
Closed Thread