Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-29-2006, 12:56 AM   #1  
Thin taste better

S/C/G: 230/215/170

Height: 5ft

Default Time vs exercise

I am really finding it hard to find the time to exercise between work, school and my kids every minute counts.

I get up at 4 am and I am constantly going until 10 p.m. I tried getting up at 3:30 but that did'nt last very long and I tried doing it at 10:30 when I get home but it only keeps me awake but I loved the way I felt afterwards. I know I will lose weight faster if I get some exercise in.

I bought this dance off the inches 15 minute express workout but is it really going to benefit me as much as a hour long workout, or am I just wasted my time.
sweettay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:23 AM   #2  

I can relate to this. I was going through a rough patch a few months ago, and I posted my current schedule here, and got soem suggestions.

One 15 minute burst a day isn't going to help a lot, it'll help more than doing nothing though

Do you get a long break at work? Are you a single mom or is there someone at home who can keep the kids occupied for an hour whilst you do some exercise?

Do you work weekends, or are they free, and you can get extra in then, perhaps with the kids?

There might be a creative solution to your problem, post a bit more about yourself and the routine and we'll figure it out!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:46 AM   #3  
Fearless and Free

I think it may work! That's just my opinion but I've read that it's not how much you work out but how you work out. If you're heart is pumping and you're working hard, that's what counts! 15 or 50 minuntes, you're doing it.

Go girl!
Tirzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:14 AM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Any exercise at all is better than none. But like kykaree said, what is your schedule? When I was working and going to class at night, the days I had class only allowed exercise room on my lunch hour. So I'd take a change of clothes to work with me and jog for 30 minutes at lunch time three days a week. There is also the trick of parking long distances from doors, or biking to work if you're close and aren't out at dark. Or take the bike with you and park a mile from work and bike the rest of the way. Had a lot of clever people where I worked finding ways to exercise at lunch time. One guy loved jogging and did it constantly, until the snows flew. Then...he went cross country skiing.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 187/171/130

Height: 5'4"

I can relate to the early morning schedule issue. My work schedule was 5 am to 1 pm. Which sounds fine on paper, except that I had to be up at 3:30 & it just didn't work well. I used to go to the gym immediately after work & exercise. I built it into my daily schedule, but it was really hard. If you have an hour lunch you could use 30 minutes to exercise. You could find something you & your kids can do together (my personal favorite) after work or before dinner or whatever works. Longer workouts on the weekends? I hope you can figure out what works besdt for your situation.
GenreGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:26 PM   #6  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenreGirl
If you have an hour lunch you could use 30 minutes to exercise.
I was going to say that

I agree if you have an hour for lunch use it! If you work in an office building walk the stairs everytime you need to go up/down...instead of emailing a collegue, walk to their desk...etc...maybe tell the internal mail people that you will pick up your mail everyday instead of having it delivered?

definately let us know your type of work and schedule, we can be of better help

also, maybe do a family walk right after dinner, make it a game for the kids (a scavenger hunt using nature) then keep those items and do crafts with them at a later time...(collecting weeds will make great cards for grandma/pa)

do you have a gym membership? put the kids in the child care?
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:44 PM   #7  
Thin taste better

S/C/G: 230/215/170

Height: 5ft

Thanks everyone for all the advise, I like the idea about walking or running during lunch but I dont get a lunch break you grab whatever and keep going I just do get a chance to use the restroom.

I am going to workout a hour or longer on my days off I can do that and do the 15 minute workout on all the other days, so hopefully it will all balance out and the weight will come off a little fast wish me luck guy.
sweettay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:41 PM   #8  

I would suggest taking a long hard look at your actual schedule. You may not have an hour straight to exercise but you might find that you've got 5 minutes here and there throughout the day. For instance, do a few jumping jacks while you wait for the coffee to brew in the morning. If you walk to the end of the driveway to pick up the newspaper or mail start sprinting there instead. Do toning exercises by flexing and holding different muscles whenever you find yourself sitting. When you do have time with your kids don't just hang out with them...really PLAY. If you are in one room and need something from another get up and get it yourself. Don't ask someone else to bring it to you just because they happen to be closer. I know some of this may seem silly. But, the important thing is to be more active in general not just formal exercise sessions.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:41 PM   #9  
Running Wild

just a thought here, but having no lunch break is against the law for employers.

at least a couple of times a week MAKE yourself take an hour or even 1/2 hour and go walk.

i believe the guidelines are 1/2 hour lunch with 2 15 min breaks or a 1 hour lunch. anything less and you can of course report it..
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:01 PM   #10  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJuneBug
just a thought here, but having no lunch break is against the law for employers.
Only if you work over an 'X' number of hours. In Canada it is 5 hours.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:38 PM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky
I would suggest taking a long hard look at your actual schedule. You may not have an hour straight to exercise but you might find that you've got 5 minutes here and there throughout the day.
Yup. Read somewhere about the "secret mission". When you place a file under your arms and walk briskly through the building, head held high, like you're on a mission, and in a hurry. You don't actually have to have a mission, or head anywhere in particular, but you get in a short brisk walk and people tend to leave you alone because you look like you're on a mission.

Kegals when standing?
Flex abs when sitting?
Deep breathing while sitting?
Pace while on the phone?

Plus the others mentioned. There are lots of things you can do while working.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:08 PM   #12  
Princess Kittyfluff

How old are the kids? I see whole families going out walking in the park across the street on my way to work. Maybe you could do something like that after work? Added bonuses: you get to spend time as a family, and the kids get in the habit of deliberately incorporating exercise into their days. (Plus it's that much more energy they're expending in a productive way!)
lunameow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #13  
Princess Kittyfluff

Okay, and NOW I go look at your profile! (Heh, should have done that first!)

Your kids are old enough to understand "Mom needs time to do this for herself." If they're involved in tons of extra-curricular activities, check with the other parents to see about taking turns with a carpool or something, so that you have days to yourself that you can use for exercising.

And I notice you're a correctional officer. Unless you're at a desk job, you're probably already getting plenty of exercise just from work, in which case the extra fifteen minutes a day is probably plenty.
lunameow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:22 PM   #14  

I think the 15 minute tape is a fine way to start. At first, you probably can't even handle a full hour (though if you can, more power to you!).

Do you know about FlyLady? (http://flylady.net) She has a wonderful (free!) website and more about how to get yourself organized when you're not perfect. The reason I mention her is that she has a saying:
"You can do anything for 15 minutes."
So do that tape, and if you find you have an extra 15 minutes or even 5 during the day, do it again or take a walk or whatever. And don't worry about what you can't do.
But check out FlyLady, as you may find tips on dealing with your busy schedule.

One more thing: Don't deprive yourself of enough sleep! You'll only do everything slower the next day. You deserve your sleep!
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #15  
Fit chick in hidding

S/C/G: 201/164.4/100 4'11"

Lots of good advice on here already. My advice is if you only have 15 min a day do strength training every other day. I only work out during coffee breaks and walk during lunch, since I have started doing that I have consistantly lost 1-2# a week.
LuckySmyle is offline   Reply With Quote