Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 11:00 AM   #1  
Starting fresh!

S/C/G: 281/226/184

Height: 6 feet

Default How do I make myself exercise?

Hi everyone!

I am having SO much trouble getting my @$$ up and exercising! I know I should be doing it and I know I feel better once I've done it but I can't seem to get started Does anyone have some tips or insight on how to get motivated? I think part of my problem is that I consistently lose weight without exercise. But, now I'm feeling kind of "blah" and I know I need to exercise.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:09 AM   #2  
Lord, gimme strength!

S/C/G: 209.6/206.2/150

Default Me too

I have problems getting going too. I actually got up and got dressed this morning and headed to the gym, and when I got there, they were closed for the holiday. UGH! I was so mad! I have to be accountable to someone else at ths point to get motivated to exercise. I'm hoping that eventually, I'll get motivated on my own. BTW, where in NC are you?
Old 05-27-2006, 11:19 AM   #3  
Starting fresh!

I'm in Greenville (ECU).

I understand being accountable to someone else. It was a lot easier for me when my rooommate and I made plans to meet each other at the gym after class/work. I knew I had to be there!
Old 05-27-2006, 11:23 AM   #4  
Lord, gimme strength!

S/C/G: 209.6/206.2/150

Congrats on the weight loss! I told my husband to ask me about the gym, but after a while that got old. So, I try to go with the ladies I work with. That sometimes helps. Now, I just need to get a list of WW friendly foods together and go shopping!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:25 PM   #5  
Starting fresh!

I think posting here may have helped. I got on the treadmill and did 15 minutes. Not much, but a great start!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:35 PM   #6  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

well.....I know its hard but, here are a few of my tips ......
1. just get dressed in your workout clothes and after awhile if you don't go to they gym....it will be a reminder to just do it.
2. think how great you'll feel afterwards
3. make it a regular time like scheduling an appt.
4. think of it as YOU time....if need be, put kids into the daycare room
5. grab a buddy for a workout
6. make some tunes with a high energy beat....it'll keep you going.

After making the start of a workout program....it does become easier and easier and maybe, you'll even look forward to it. Good luck....
Old 05-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

1) plan it into your day just like you would a doctor or dental appt or meeting

2) if you set your exercise stuff out and it is ready to go so you can just jump in it and get started it helps

3) if you want to do it after work...change after work and go right then, do not go home first, do not go to the store or other places first...go work out.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #8  
banned

dunno if this has been posted yet, but have you tried the 5 minute technique? the idea is to tell yourself you only have to do 5 min.(usually what happens is youve done more once you get started)
Old 05-27-2006, 03:22 PM   #9  
si, si signora

Two motivating factors for me...

1. Free hot shower with lots of decent hot water and towels that I don't have to launder.

2. Gold stars I get one every day I go and that is good.

Things that help:

1. I do it first thing in the morning. I pack my bag the night before and its ready to go. If I was really smart, I would even put it in the car so it would be one less thing to schelp.

2. If I'm just ellipticalling or biking, I will catch up on the trashy mags that I wouldn't buy but happy to read - US weekly, people, in touch or the women's mags that you would spend a fortune on if you read them weekly.

3. Can you afford a personal trainer to help you get started? If you go to the gym, you may need some help getting a routine down for weights. I use a trainer for an hour a week, but in two half hour sessions, so we do the things I hate together.

4. Do you have a mp3 player? If so, burn and convert books, put on some fast music, download podcasts and catch up with what is going on. Great thing to do if you are walker.

Good luck, you'll get there, just stick to the andrea technique of five minutes, you'll be surprised how much fun you'll have.

lala
Old 05-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #10  
Starting fresh!

Thanks for all your help!

I will try a lot of these ideas. The five minute is a great idea that I do often!
Old 05-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #11  
banned

thanks lala
good luck princess! you can do it!
Old 05-28-2006, 10:31 PM   #12  
Staying on track!!

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/175

* do "mini workouts" at home (yes, even 5 minutes!) on the days when too busy for the gym... or do it in front of the TV if your fav. TV shows are on (crunches, leg lifts, squats, etc)

* walk on your lunch break; if you have 1 hr for lunch, take your lunch & walk for 20-30 minutes.

..... these are things I need to incorporate myself!
Old 05-28-2006, 10:50 PM   #13  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

from someone who went from doing 45 minutes exercise in all of April to doing over 700 minutes to date for May, I totally understand.

For me, setting a goal and competing with someone has helped. Having a little competition motivates me - I never knew that I was competitive until now. Doesn't have to be a person with you either. I compete with the ladies on the 20-Somethings forum.

I read a quote recently about exercise "pretend you love it, until you do". This is so true for me so I tell myself I am a fitness fiend and love my workouts and after doing it for a month I do look forward to my next workout.

Best of luck
Old 06-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/215/150

Height: 5' 4"

Default I feel your pain!

Hi, Peach--I am in the same boat. I have to DRAG myself over to exercise, and it's become almost like I have a mental "block" against being positive about it now! Something that has helped me is exercising FIRST THING in the morning--then it's done and you can feel good about having it out of the way for the rest of the day. Daisy--I LOVE that positive self-talk thing--I have got to try that! Thanks!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #15  

I didn't join a gym (im too cheap) . I bought a treadmill and whenever I look at it, I feel guilty for not using it after spending all of that money on it. I make myself do it atleast 4 days aweek and if I dont feel up to it i will say to myself "just do it for abit till i get tired", but I end up doing more than I planned. I also LOVE the feeling afterwards after a great run on the treadmill. Maybe you need to find the right time of day for you to excercise. I know that I could NOT do it in the morning, Im not a morning person. I do it before bed and put on a good television show and do it infront of the tv. I dont know if any of this helps.
Good luck and you can do it
Closed Thread