Old 05-25-2006, 08:49 PM   #1  

Default Pilates, anyone?

Hi everyone,
I ran pretty regularly up until about three weeks ago when I suffered an intense ankle injury which now has me sidelined unfortunately!
I started taking up Pilates which I found I actually enjoy!
Anyone have some good video recommendations that give a good workout (i.e. make you sweat) while helping to firm the entire body?

Thanks!!
greenrunner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/230/150

Default Pilates

I Love Winsor Pilates. I have about 4 different Winsor Pilates DVDs, but I like the very first 20 minute workout one. There is also a new one out that has a pilates ring with it, that looks really good. I've been looking for it in the stores. I don't like to order from the website because they try to get you on a monthly plan. I either order it with a check or find it in the store.
Lady_Effinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:52 PM   #3  
Chrissy

S/C/G: 166/152/140

Height: 5'9"

My favorite from the ones I have is Denise Austins "Piliates for everyone" It seems easy at first but by the end I am sweaty and my muscles are burning. There are floor excersizes, kicks using a chair for support, and also she uses an excersize band/or weights. I didn't have the band at first but later decited to by one (There is a 10 dollar one by Gaiam that also comes with a dvd)
kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:24 PM   #4  

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions (keep them coming)! I tried the Rael System 17 which passed the time very quickly (always a good thing!). I also bought the Pilates Crunch Burn & Firm Pilates which I still have yet to use (will let you know). I don't have the Winsor Pilates, but I do have the bands! I try to incorporate them when I can.

Has anyone experienced weight loss with just Pilates?
greenrunner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/200

Height: 5'5

I started doing Winsor Pilates, and enjoyed it, but it really messed up my back. I figured i was probably doing something wrong, but no, my form was correct. So, I've stuck with yoga, bellydance, and t-tapp and have not had the same problem. Maybe its just one of those freak incidents...

Alicia
cardsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #6  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I also love the Winsor method! I say that since you already have the Rael system, stick with it until you want a change. I've heard lots of good about it. I also have the Crunch dvd you mentioned. I'm not sure if you'll be able to do the first part with your ankle, but for sure the mat part will work for you. I enjoy it for variety in my workouts. As far as losing weight through Pilates. I started losing weight in January but didn't start Pilates until February. I did essentially the same cardio in Feb as I had done in Jan and lost the same amount of weight, but lost more inches in Feb than I had in Jan. It works!!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote