Old 05-25-2006, 09:40 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default I must confess, I love food

First off, today is my 31st birthday. I am 79 lbs down from when I was 23 and 70 lbs down from when I was 29. My goal this year is to lose 30 lbs total and I've lost 10 lbs so far.

This morning, after making my lunch + snacks for the day, I realized I was really excited. I can't wait to eat my food for the day. I then started thinking about the thread on addiction to food. Sure, I think I am addicted to food but what is even more, I enjoy eating certain types of food. Since it was my birthday, I decided to make one of my favorite items which is a mock waldorf salad. I didn't have raisins or grapes so it is simply lettuce, walnuts, apple chucks, a dash of light mayo and a teaspon of nonfat plain yogurt. That started my excitement then I started thinking about my sandwich, my nonfat yogurt + blueberries, my iced tea, etc. I love taste, I love texture and I love good food.

I think sometimes we feel so guilty about eating because it has so many emotions wrapped up within ourselves. I realize though that I can watch my portions with the foods I love, to eat slowly so I can enjoy food to their full extent and to be careful about foods that aren't very helpful to my weight loss goals. I need to nourish my body as well as my love for food.

I love food and for today, I feel no guilt about it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #2  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Happy Birthday, Nelie! You've done a fantastic job losing the weight. That's the best birthday gift, imho.

I can't wait for white peaches, I won't feel any guilt eating those, and they are out of this world.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:39 AM   #3  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

I wouldn't want to live in a world where the only experience out of food was "nutritional fulfillment". If there was a pill that would fulfill all of my body's needs without eating and ensure that I'd lose weight, I wouldn't take it.

Food is delicious, eating it is enjoyable. I don't see any reason to feel more guilty about enjoying a meal then about enjoying a movie or a good book. But, just like everything else in life, it all comes down to moderation, control, and balance. I say, if you are in control of what, when, and how much you eat, if your portions are moderate and your nutritional needs are being met, if you are balancing what you eat with exercise, then relish your food, savor it, get tingly. You've earned that right.

Oh, and Happy Birthday!
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:50 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 7"

First, congratulations, nelie! You're doing exactly what I'm hoping I can do, I'm so glad you posted.

We went to California Pizza last night. It was a planned treat, kid is out of town on her school trip. And I had:
Thai spring roll
Field greens salad with gorgonzola, half size
Split a piece of key lime pie with DH.

I savored every mouthful. I let the food rest in my mouth, tasted it, enjoyed it. Everything I had was wonderful, exactly the way I wanted it.

I just had water to drink, cause I didn't want to spoil the flavor.

And this morning, I was down another pound.

Maybe in addition to loosing weight, I'm changing from a gourmand to a gourmet, and they're always slim.

Maybe, just maybe, this is the way it's meant to be - that we were supposed to fall in love with healthy food, and just started to abuse it along the way.
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:58 AM   #5  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Happy Birthday, Nelie!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

What a great birthday gift. Happy Birthday.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:36 AM   #7  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Happy Birthday Nellie!! Hope you have a wonderful day!!
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:40 AM   #8  

Happy B-DAY!!! I feel the same way about food. I look forward to my special treats. My future one is...once I am down 25lbs. I'm gonna celebrate by going to Cheesecake Factory, and having a piece of Oreo Cheesecake. Looking forward to that treat keeps me on track.
mookiemunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:47 AM   #9  
One pound at a time...

Happy Birthday Nelie!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 315/268/150

Happy Birthday Nellie!

Congrats on all those lbs lost.

You are right, we have to start loving the good food instead of the junk food. That way we can enjoy our meals without any guilt.

I tend to get the same way when I pack my lunch full of great tasting and colourfull choices. I can't wait for my breaks and lunch.

Thanks for posting.
Foreverhopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:00 PM   #11  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Happy, happy birthday! Yeah, I love food too!
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:32 PM   #12  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Happy birthday, Nelie!

I can totally relate to the food excitement thing and the tendency to feel guilty about it when we're obese. But I also figure the Lord created us with taste buds and unique taste. So what if Waldorf salad rocks your world? (Does mine, too, girl). You should hear me when I'm enjoying crab legs. It makes those sitting nearby want to order what I have. Portion control and being sensible can go hand-in-hand with giving the taste buds a charge!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote