Old 05-24-2006, 06:21 PM   #1  
banned

Default The Shangri-La Diet

i read on a thread that the basics are free? can someone pm me as to where?
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #2  

<Linkcosuction>

You can check out the author's site by googling Seth Roberts

I hope it works...I am going to give it a try

-judi
esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:35 PM   #3  
banned

hey...thanks!!
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #4  

<Linkocusction>

I started today and so far I have had 1 T fructose water in the morning and 1 T extra light olive oil around noon and have only eaten 500 calories and have no appetite at all. (Usually this time of the day even on a good day I would have eaten around 1500).

Though I have no appetite I am still cooking...right now I am doing a pot roast and date squares...though the date squares are made with Splenda. I would like to be at the point I can forget about food...after reading the book's testimonials I guess it happens.

Anyway hope you can find something you might fond informative at the blog site.
-judi
Old 05-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #5  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

I could be totally wrong here, but arent you supposed to be doing more than just 1 TBSP of sugar water? Its my understanding that its more like 3 or 4 TBSP at a time. I think I read to mix 5 or 6 tbsp of sugar in 1 liter of water and drink half in the morning and half in the afternoon. Again I could be totally off because I dont use the sugar water.

~melissa
Hun.e.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:54 PM   #6  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Heres from the web blog

At least one hour away (both ways) from "tasting" something (specifically eating a meal), either:
-drink sugar water--most folks use between 3-4 Tablespoons of either sucrose (table sugar) or fructose, dissolved in between 1/2 liter and 1 liter of water, or

-sip an unflavored or lightly-flavored oil--most use between 1 and 4 Tablespoons of canola or extra-light olive oil.

And then from calorie lab

* Oil: About one to two tablespoons of oil per day, perhaps half in mid morning or half in mid afternoon (or perhaps in three doses). A tablespoon of oil contains about 120 calories; 2 tablespoons contain about 240 calories and is equivalent to a fluid ounce, or about 30 milliliters of oil.
* Sugar: Roberts at one point states he was taking about 3 ounces (6 tablespoons/18 teaspoons/90 milliliters/75 grams) of fructose (equivalent to 275 calories) diluted in one liter of water. For maintenance he seems to take half this amount. He later switched to sucrose — the type of sugar, as well as the dilution, doesn’t seem to matter, as long as the end result is essentially “tasteless.”

Although I suppose if just one TBSP works for you thats good too!

~melissa
Hun.e.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:48 AM   #7  

I have lost 3 pounds since last week and have no cravings but an added bonus that I didn't read anything about in the book or blog is that I think the healthful olive oil must help arthritis. Last night was the first pain free night I have had in about 2 years. I dunno???
Old 08-05-2006, 05:24 PM   #8  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I have deleted your links to Mr. Roberts' site. As I am well aware he has asked members of his forums for help in promoting his book and has even given away free copies of his book to bloggers in return for them posting their reviews on their blogs.

While all are welcome here to discuss the plan and give each other support and advice while on this plan (in fact there is a group here already discussing the plan) you are violating the 3fc forum rules by posting links to Mr Roberts' site and in a round about way posting links to other peoples' blogs that lead to Mr. Roberts' site - apparently all roads lead to Rome in this case.

There is actually a review of the book and a photo of the book on the 3fc front page so members are already aware the book exists.

The Shangri-la plan is an interesting concept and there is room for valid discussion of the plan here.

Good luck with your efforts and please let us know how things are going for you on the plan!
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Mauvaisroux, you said there's a forum here for people who are talking about this diet, but I haven't been able to find it!

I bought the book because I was interested in the science behind it and it sounded kind of hokey but compelling. I finished reading it today, and it still sounds weird but worth a try -- can't hurt to throw down a little sugar water if it might suppress your appetite a bit.

I'm on the WW plan and doing quite well with it, but I'd love to have less of an appetite. I have more to say about this, but I want to see if anyone else is trying it.

I tried it yesterday by taking 3 tbsp of sugar in 3 cups of hot water, and I was hungry and snacking all day (but still in my point range). When I woke up today, I had zero appetite, and I really haven't wanted to eat much at all today. I dissolved 3 tbsp of sugar in 2 cups of hot water today (because it just seemed like too much yesterday), and I don't know...maybe it's just the filling effect of the water. Who knows? I plan on getting some extra-light olive oil and trying that as well.

Anyone else trying this and seeing a change in appetite? Or are you trying it and seeing no change at all?

Also, if there IS a thread about this, can someone please point me to it?
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:56 PM   #10  
Meg

Here ya go, Lisa :

Shangri-la Diet -- comments on it and experiences
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Thanks, Meg, but it looks like that thread was closed because some random guy was just trying to sell the diet. That's certainly not what I'm doing -- I just bought the book and I'm wondering if anyone else did. It's kind of like a weird little harmless experiment in appetite suppression, so I was wondering if anyone else is trying it.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote