Dieting with Obstacles - Prednisone and Weight Loss

View Full Version : Prednisone and Weight Loss

Anne1977
05-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Hi. I am new to the site and was wondering if anyone else has had a significant weight gain while on prednisone. And if so, were you able to lose the weight? I have a chronic condition that is controlled by a daily dose of prednisone. I was on a 150 mg taper on and off for over 4 months and now I have to take 10 - 20 mg daily. I have gained 40 pounds in 6 months. I have always ate healthy and still continue to do so. Unfortunately, I am still gaining weight even though I have limited my calories and I work out everyday. The doctor says that as long as I am on the prednisone I will continue to gain weight, that is the nature of prednisone. I am determined to lose weight - it just isn't as easy as I had expected. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

impossible princess
05-24-2006, 06:33 PM
I've taken prednisone but only in a week or two week dose at a time i've never taken it continuously. I get it when my asthma is especially bad and its notmally 30gs a day. I've never noticed any weight gain on it at all but I expect I've never taken it long enough to notice.
What sort of calorie level are you on at the moment? COuld your doc suggest anything else to take instead which wouldn't make you gain?

Anne1977
05-24-2006, 07:04 PM
My doctor says that even maintaining your weight while on prednisone is an achievement. I have several doctors and they all have been unhelpful as to the weight gain. I am on a 1000 - 1200 calorie diet - low fat, high protein, high fiber. I eat every few hours (small meals) to keep from getting too hungry. I work out everyday - cardio, aerobics, and weight training. I am just so frustrated that I have nothing to show for all the workouts and the diet (going on 3 months and counting).

fitgal2
05-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Hi. I am new to the site and was wondering if anyone else has had a significant weight gain while on prednisone. And if so, were you able to lose the weight? I have a chronic condition that is controlled by a daily dose of prednisone. I was on a 150 mg taper on and off for over 4 months and now I have to take 10 - 20 mg daily. I have gained 40 pounds in 6 months. I have always ate healthy and still continue to do so. Unfortunately, I am still gaining weight even though I have limited my calories and I work out everyday. The doctor says that as long as I am on the prednisone I will continue to gain weight, that is the nature of prednisone. I am determined to lose weight - it just isn't as easy as I had expected. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
I just saw your post. I am on Prednison (30 mg every second day)...

I am losing weight! I think that the lower the dose the easier it is. right after my Stem cell transplant for leukemia I was on 100 mg every day. I gain 20 pounds, had "moon face" everything!!! I hate the drug!!!!!! its the:devil:
but when I got off of it the weight came off rather quickly. then I had to go back on it. which is where i am now.

When I got the news that I would have to go back on it I bought "dealing with prednisone" by eugine zuckerman ~~~ really really helpful I suggest you get it. Basicly, watch salt intake(this is big), drink LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of water!, watch fat intake and exercise. Keep cals low. I noticed that the day after I "pig out" I have put on some weight~ those days usually see me eating veggies all day :)~
Also talk with your doctor and see if he can lower your dose (or increase it but have you take it only every other day....) he may be able to experiment with you to see if a lower dose will still be effective...

I also found out that the Birth control pill with increase the effect of prednison...I brought this up with my doctor but he said he didn't think so...but it is written on the sheet that the pharmacist gives you with all the directions and stuff....try to get one and read it...Oh also on that sheet I found out that prednisone make you sensitive to carbs, so keep them low

hope I helped PM if you have questions!

Prednisone is the :devil:

lilybelle
05-28-2006, 12:14 PM
I have been on prednisone for 3 yrs. Gained 50 lbs. and was hungry all the time. I have liver failure and my general doctor had told me that I would never lose weight on prednisone. I was on 40 mg. daily for most of the yrs. and now am on 20 mg. daily. I started seeing a hepatologist who thankfully set me straight. He told me I had to lose the weight or I would not qualify for a liver transplant. He also told me to "get on a low-carb diet and stick to it". I started my low-carb diet June 24,2005 and have now lost 84 lbs. in 11 months while still taking the prednisone. This has been a life-saver for me. I had pretty much given up and resigned myself to always being obese due to the prednisone, but it doesn't have to be that way. The best part is that with the weight loss, my liver enzymes are down four-fold and it may be a long time now before I have to get a transplant. Good luck to you and know that it is completely possible to lose the weight on prednisone, some doctors are just discouraging and don't know all the facts.

clover89
08-18-2006, 12:52 PM
First of all I want to say I'm new here and I love the site so far :D

I actually have lost weight on prednisone twice! Last summer I was on prednisone (80mg start!) and I decided to not gain weight by eating less than 1500 calories and exercising. I'm 17 by the way, 5'4 and 107 at the time. I also need to mention that I've been struggling with an eating disorder since I was around 14. This time I wanted to lose in a healthy way and I did.

This year I had a MAJOR adverse reaction to a medication that I was put on and I was put on prednisone again (80mg start) (I was about 110lbs) to quiet my immune system's. I have had MANY drug adverse reactions and doctors don't understand why. I lost about 10lbs VERY easily even though I was on prednisone and very inactive. Then when I started to feel better I noticed that by eating up to 1500 I still lost..the strangest thing is that I got to 93lbs in a few weeks..but I was eating much more..

I started binging because I wanted to stay at 95 and I didn't gain..well the next day I did but only about a pound and then later I gained 2 more. However now I've gained 2lbs overnight! I'm really trying now to not eat so much..but i got used to it. I really watch how much sodium I eat and I try to drink tons of water which helps take out the water weight. That's my best advice to keep from gaining weight..watching the sodium intake.

Other than that I know I am lucky to not gain (major) weight from prednisone.. I think my body just reacts different to it. But I still have the "moon face" and all the other horrible side effects :( I will be on 35mg by Monday (yay!).

beachgal
12-10-2006, 05:57 AM
It was wonderful to find this thread! I have a dear friend who has been on Prednisone for a very long time (over 6 years) and though her doctors assure her that she can't lose weight on it, she's determined to find a way. :)

Does anyone else have any information on losing weight on Prednisone? I know she'd appreciate it. :D Thanks!

higherfaith
12-19-2006, 09:37 PM
I was on prednisone for a year and I gained 40 pounds in 2 months , I had no clue what my body was in for . I no longer take it , but since I have been diagnosed with R A I take it for only a week at a time when the swelling and engery level gets too low. I wish I had known in 2003 what my body was in for when I had to take it. I am determined to never take it full time again and I think losing weight will be a BIG help.

applecake
12-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Hello! I've been on various doses of prednisone for several years. When I was younger I got the moon face but didn't gain weight, but a few years ago I was very very sick and had high doses injected, and that's when I started gaining weight. Tough stuff.

Gardinia
12-30-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm currently taking a 5mg dose at bedtime. My dr hopes it will help with morning stiffness. It isn't helping but because of my weight and side effects already experienced, I am afraid to take a higher dose. I already have the "moon face" and family has commented on it during the holidays. I'm determined not to let it get the better of me. Since I am already taking Humira and Napropsen, I hope my prednisone days are numbered.

Question...I have been getting VICIOUS leg cramps that wake me several times a night, that seemed to start when I started predinsone, does anyone else have this problem/side effect?

carolr3639
01-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Yes, I had that and restless legs but I have been on prednisone for a more than a year and don't notice it as much anymore.

higherfaith
01-02-2007, 08:58 PM
yes , I got the leg cramps in the begining of taking them. I no longer take any I am going for a 2nd opinion.

sfdora
01-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site. I just found it two days ago. I've only been on Prednisone for two weeks for Sarcoidosis. Since I didn't want to gain weight, my doctor told me to get on a low-carb diet. I did. I researched many books from the library and found one that helped me decide how I can keep from eating sugar and salt. The book is entitled, Living the Low Carb Life, by Jonny Bowden, M.A., C.N.S. The foreword is by Barry Sears, Ph.D., the author of The Zone. It helped me decide how to proceed with controlling and losing weight. I can't say how much I've lost so far, but I don't feel any water retention or feel as though I'm eating too much sugar.

From perusing this book, I looked at Ultra-Metabolism by Mark Hyman, M.D., Syndromew by Marriette R. Mogul, M.D. and a few other diet books. Do some research. You'll find what is right for you.

Good luck,
SFDora

Clydegirl
01-04-2007, 04:46 PM
I was started on Prednisone a week ago for a bulging cervical disc. I am drinking lots of water and have lost weight so far but my appetite has not been good. They started me on 60mg and they are tapering it down. Thank goodness nasty stuff.I'm on 40mg right now.

Padame
01-04-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm glad to hear that others are losing weight on prednisone. I've been very discouraged because I've been following a low carb diet and I"m gaining weight still. How low did you all have to go to lose? I'm keeping it under 40 grams per day.
Thank you

sfdora
01-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Reply to Padame,

I try to keep my carbs down below 54 carbs per day. It's hard to do since I need to eat a banana everyday due to my blood pressure medications. However since I've been on this low carb diet, my blood pressure has been an average of 100/70. I hardly eat eggs. I eat more tofu than I can stand. I eat tons of vegies and fruit. I exercise daily in and out of the house. Everyone is different. So is everyone's metabolism.

Maybe you need to reevaluate what you are eating. Have you tried researching through some low carb diet books? Maybe check out your local library. There are so many reason why you may be gaining weight. It also depends on medications you are on. That's just a guess.

SFDora

sfdora
01-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Hi everyone,

I went to the doctor Monday. I weighted in at 167. I lost 9 lbs! My feet, knees, or back doesn't hurt anymore. That could be because of the Prednisone, too.

I've not eaten any bread, rice, white potatoes, snack foods. For breakfast, I'm eating tofu or fat free cholestrerol-free eggs (most of the time). I eat this with vegies of every type. I don't eat cereal of any kind. My doctor said if I eat wheat, I will gain weight. I also don't eat salt or sugar, except some honey in my tea. Lunch is usually salmon, shrimp, or chicken with vegies. Dinner is more of the same. I use a lot of variety with my vegetables in the evening. I find that I get full eating 3 or 4 vegies during the meal. I drink water, water, water, and more water. That is my diet so far. I try to stay away from orange juice because it's has too much acid for me and I fear oral thrush.

I hope that helps whoever asked about diet.

SFDora

MidnightJen
03-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Thank you for all of the information. I have been on and off Prednisone for years, I especially love the moon face and hump on my back!!:devil: This time no weight gain!!!! I eat fruit instead of chocolate and salt... at least on my good days. Keep up the hard work!

MrsPeeps
03-20-2007, 01:38 AM
:dz: :stress: :tantrum: :tantrum: Dear All,
Boy, am I glad that I found this forum! That question is one I've been struggling with for years now. I gained about 100 lbs. while on significant doses of the stuff. After the doses were finally dropped down to around 5mg. or so, I lost about 25lbs. right off the bat. But the rest? Stuck on me like superglue!

I spoke with a doctor about my current frustration level---which has been fairly high lately, and this is what he said: "Yeah, the body can be pretty stubborn when it comes to losing the fatstores that come with the prednisone. There's not a whole lot we can do about that now. Maybe surgery. . .":mad: :devil: :?::tantrum: :stress: :hot: Gee, he could have mentioned that EARLIER.

I personally have been about ready to give up on it all, but. . . what the heck?! I'll give it another go ahead. Some people do have the ability to lose the weight afterwards, but it's pretty tough.

Peace All,
the DragonLady

teresah24
03-26-2007, 09:10 AM
down 18 pounds since January 20. Still on the prednisone and the Humira and the Naproxen. I am looking forward to ONEderland!!! ;)

Teresa

krisann22
04-25-2007, 05:00 PM
I love that I found this thread. I have gained about 11 lbs since being on that med. I have been diagnosed with Rhuematoid arthritis and am also on Methatrexate. My prednisone is being tampered off and I am taking 15 mgs then 10 next week. Is it still possible to lose weight instead of gaining and is the low carb diet the best to combat this? Any and all advice is most welcome.

Natalia
05-05-2007, 01:13 PM
yep- I have been on predy several times. Usually for 6-8 weeks at a time. I sually gain about 20lbs when all is said and done. Last time I "only" gained 10 but for the first half I was following the Carb Addicts Diet- I think when you are on steroids especially you really have to limit the carbs or you will crave like there is no tomorrow.
I mean, pred encourages weight gain by screwing up insulin levels so the only other way to control it is to have very low carbs :)
You guys are right- it IS the devil. I especially love the buffalo hump, moon face, restless legs, spacey brain and insomnia. Oh yeah, and eating like a horse! I usually eat about a third of what my dh eats, on pred I can beat him in an eating contest! lol

settie
06-01-2007, 08:51 PM
The low carb diet is essential. I'm not sure if I have it exactly right but I think that the effects of the prednisone don't allow your body to build muscle normally. So to counteract that you need to supplement with protien - so, a low carb, high low-fat protien(chicken breast, egg whites, many fish, etc.) is where it's at. Good luck to you.;)

carolr3639
06-04-2007, 01:28 PM
But what if you can't do low carb because of kidney problems? I've been on prednisone for almost 2 yr and I'm still struggling to lose weight. I've had to increase the dose lately, too.

kaplods
06-04-2007, 01:37 PM
You may want to ask your doctor about the South Beach program, and how few carbs are "safe." I eat around 100 g of carbs a day, and the carbs I pick are the "good" carbs South Beach talks of - whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, non-instant oatmeal, whole wheat... This has really helped me with cravings and such on and off prednisone and other steroids.

lotsophun78
10-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Predisone the drug I love to hate. This drug has put me through the ringer. I started 5 months ago for acute renal failure @ 80mg a day along with about 10 other meds. The effect on my body was not pleasant. I had to take med leave of absence from work it was so bad. Pains, aches, sleeplessness nights, tongue sores, acne...the only good thing was I lost about 30lbs.
Now my doctor has started weaning me off the meds...all the weight they said I would gain is coming. I have the moon face, fat is just went straight to my belly(pants that fit last week are now snug). I've gained about 13lbs.
I'm trying to do everything just to maintain that gainage. I hope once I'm at lower doses that the weight will come back off. Right now I'm doing 30mg a every other day than next week will be 20mg every other day .....
What I find frustrating is that since I have renal failure I've been told to have a low protein and high carb diet. Most foods that would be good for me to eat are off limits to me such as spincach, broccoli, and a host of other foods..while foods you normally wouldn't not be told to eat is exactly what i'm being told to eat...lots of pasta, bread,and only 3 ounces of lean protein a day.
I have to tell you. Predisone in my experience is ****. I dont really know if I knew then what I know now if I would have allowed myself to take this medication, but when your choices are drugs or dialysis....I think I have experienced every side effect this drug has with the exception of hallucinations and depression(which if this weight keeps goind up may change).
Does anyone know once your off the drug how long it takes for the moon face to go away or when the weight loss melts away.

carolr3639
10-18-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm still on it after over 2yr. I don't notice the moon face as much anymore but I still have weight to lose. My problem is sarciodosis(lungs), high blood calcium and the resulting kidney damage. My doctor told me I would need it for life. I went up in dose earlier this summer and am afraid I will have to go up again. Sure wish there was another way.

Auset
11-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi-

I am really glad I found this forum. I had been "trying" to lose weight for a long time now. I was diagnosed with pemphigus vulgaris an autoimmune disorder in 2005. Off and on meds til this last flare put me back on prednisone for couple of months now and the weight gain is too much. The side effects are staggering and I am now being forced to finally deal with my weight.

I am also taking imuran and immunosuppressant and caught a cold. Down to 25mg pred now from 80 flare this past August. At first doing ok cause I could work out, but due to the cold I was floored and just had to sleep and couldnt exercise. I gained like 20 pounds! I'm now at 148 but am used to and feel most healthy and beautiful at 125.

It took a while to do all this signing up with fitday, 3fc blogs and on the forums- but I need to begin understanding the numbers part and monitoring more. Sodium blew me up like a puffer fish and moon face got me too. I have managed to fight the acne this time- anyone interested in the products I use (combination of prescription and healthfoodstore natural cream) email me personally. I use Nu-Salt in place of salt. I drink tons of water a day and have to take naps, multi-vitamins/herbal supplements to deal with all theside effects.

I was starting to look like a linebacker and getting that hump in my back- really scary along with the moon face. With the holidays coming up and family- I am determined to not be so bloated and not to eat and gain.

I work out with the original old Firm tapes and think now I have to do this everyday. I worked out yesterday and my body wasnt so swollen and puffed up looking- what a relief!

Everyone stay strong and keep at it- have a wonderful holiday- off to work out now...

Killjoy
11-26-2007, 04:58 PM
I was put on prednisone briefly this past spring because they thought I had ITP. My platelets are almost dangerously low and the doctors were convinced I had ITP so they wanted to put me on a much larger dose for two months. I argued that I was almost certain that what I have is not ITP and insisted on further testing. The subsequent testing determined that I did in fact not have ITP at all. That made me angry. They were more than willing to subject me to two months of that **** and then, when that showed no improvement, they were going to remove my spleen. Nice.

The two weeks I spent on the prednisone was enough for me, thanks. Insomnia and an appetite that increased threefold were not things I was happy about. Thankfully I wasn't on it long enough to get the moon face and the other niceties that seem to accompany prednisone use.

So here I am eight months later, test after test (cat scans, two bone marrow biopsies, IGIV infusions, etc.,) and they still have no clue why my platelets are so low. I have noticed that since I started eating right and working out everyday that my count seems to hover above the danger zone where they are forced to give me platelet infusions.

I just hope they can get it together and figure out what's wrong with me before it kills me. Seriously.

KJ

amy180
01-15-2008, 04:45 AM
Boy, am I glad that I found this forum! That question is one I've been struggling with for years now. I gained about 100 lbs. while on significant doses of the stuff. After the doses were finally dropped down to around 5mg. or so, I lost about 25lbs. right off the bat. But the rest? Stuck on me like superglue!
Same here. I went without weighing/being weighed for a long time, and found that I went from 145 lbs to 210 in a matter of months. No wonder my back hurts. And it's in weird places. My pants size at 145 was 9, and a few years earlier, not on prednisone, I weighed 165 and wore a size 14. Strangely, at 210 I wear smaller pants than I wore at 165 lbs (size 12)! That's because it's all in my middle/face/back I suppose. Moon face like you wouldn't believe. I scream and run when I see a camera. "Buffalo hump" and distended stomach. Of course a bit in my legs and arms, but apparently not much. Oh, and my boobs have gotten HUGE. Probably contributes to the back pain but it disturbs me a lot less than the buffalo hump. ^_^

It really depressed me a lot because I had been jogging and lifting and exercising a lot,and at 145 I was in the best health of my life. A year and a half later, I'm in the worst health of my life. I used to be able to eat anything, but I'm starting to watch everything now that I'm still on prednisone. It also messes with my moods, disorders my thoughts, and kills any semblance of willpower I might have. Without it, I have no problem eating well and exercising and so on, but even if I were not on it anymore I've gained so much that it's a huge problem now. People don't even recognize me anymore. Heck, I don't recognize me... For now I'm still taking walks as much as possible (can't run or walk too much due to back pains from weight gain), lifting weights, and just as importantly, weaning myself off soft drinks (which I used to be able to drink without gaining weight) by drinking stuff like crystal light, green tea, and water.

I was starting to look like a linebacker and getting that hump in my back- really scary along with the moon face.
Yeah, it's awful. And I crave sodium, which needs to stop. Well, I need to stop giving in to the cravings, anyway.

But anyway, good luck to anyone else trying to lose it. I'll be watching my carbs and sodium. [*sigh*]

carolr3639
01-16-2008, 03:44 PM
I wish more people would post more often on this subject. We just need a lot of encouragement. I'm hungry it seems all the time when I have to go up in dosage. And doctors aren't much help, especially if they are thin themselves. They have no idea.

amy180
01-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've searched the internet for info on "weight loss + prednisone" =0(

on a positive note, though I haven't been near a scale in a few weeks, I have totally eliminated excess sugars from my diet (I craved soda like mad) and trying to watch the sodium, and I have a lot less bloating and my double-chin, which appeared suddenly out of nowhere, has almost disappeared, which means it was probably mostly water anyway. At any rate, glad to be rid of it. The belly is gonna take some real work though...

Cutting out sugar has helped me with my hunger, and I know as well as anyone the constant hunger that prednisone causes, so I imagine it might have something to do with insulin levels and so on as well making me crave more and more sugary things. I know water is best, but it's too big a leap for me right now to just drink plain old water so I've switched to crystal lite and stuff like that, calorie-free and sometimes they have vitamins in them too.

carolr3639
01-17-2008, 08:49 PM
I just tried a 2 day Atkins Fat fast and feel awful. I'm trying to find something to diminish the hunger.

amy180
01-18-2008, 01:22 PM
sucks that you feel awful. since trying to cut carbs i have absolutely no energy and just want to sleep or mope around all day long. argh.

carolr3639
01-18-2008, 05:39 PM
I really did get the REAL flu. MY DD and DH had is before me. Only good thing is you don't feel like eating!

lvl42freak
02-04-2008, 11:57 AM
I was so glad to find this post. I was diagnosed with infiltrative lung disease in Nov. and have been on high dose Prednisone since. I work out two hours a day and keep my calories under 1800 but my weight is starting to creep up. I was becoming terrified to eat. I'm going to try the low carb diet, I just have a question, I don't really like meat that much, don't eat eggs, what else counts as protein?

carolr3639
02-06-2008, 12:51 PM
I really like soy milk and soy products. But some people don't. Beans are good, too. I've been on prednisone for amost 3 yr. and slowly have lost 20lb with 40 to go.

jean1960
02-14-2008, 10:23 PM
I have just recently been diagnosed with sarcoidosis. I haven't been given prednisone yet but I am sure that will be the medicdation of choice when I go to the pulmonologist. I have lost 30 lbs because of this illness but it appears i will be putting it back on plus some in no time. My concern is the effect it has on your glucose levels. Has anyone developed type II diabetes while on prednisone? It looks like I will have to look into low carb, exercise and ALOT of will power. I need to feel better first. Any one else with sarcoidosis that can enlighten me to my fate?

carolr3639
02-15-2008, 11:47 AM
I've had saricoidosis for 30 yr. and ignored it for 25. Now I have been taking prednisone for amost 3 yr. I sure wish they would give you more advice about diet when they put you on it long term. I'm very thankful that so far I have not had diabetes and I don't follow a low carb diet because of kidney problems from high blood calcium.

amy180
02-15-2008, 12:02 PM
My concern is the effect it has on your glucose levels. Has anyone developed type II diabetes while on prednisone? It looks like I will have to look into low carb, exercise and ALOT of will power.?
That's not why I was put on it, but I'm still on it and finally starting to lose. All I can say is pay attention to your sugar intake especially, because sugar tends to be associated with midsection weight gain, and prednisone encourages weight gain around the midsection, therefore you need to watch the carbs. I gained 9 inches in my waist on prednisone in less than a year! I've read that it can encourage type 2 diabetes also, so that's another reason to watch things. And I found that I craved sugar like mad, though since january I've cut out all added sugar, regular soda, fruit juice, cookies,cakes, and so on. prednisone is the reason i'm on this board, i was never overweight before it. I'm not sure if it directly affects glucose levels, I think I've read that it does, but I can just say to be careful with your carbs. Also it can make you feel hungry constantly. like a bottomless pit, though I've found it's better when I'm closely watching my carbs, eating more vegetables and lean proteins, etc. It's supposed to also cause muscle atrophy so lifting weights to avoid this is good. My back muscles got very weak for a time until I started lifting and exercising again.

mxgirl737
02-18-2008, 10:23 PM
I was on prednisone when I was a kid, for quite awhile. I had a seizure disorder...not really sure why i was on prednisone though. Anyway...that's when I "blew up"... I was an average size before the med...and since it I've had nothing but problems getting the weight off :( ....A doc wanted to put me on it again not that long ago for an allergy I have. I refused it. I didn't want to go thru all that again.

kaplods
02-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Prednisone can be a double-edged sword, but when I needed it, I don't know what I would have done without it. Being more than 200 lbs overweight, you have to be pretty desperate to be willing to take something that can add weight. But being able to breathe is pretty powerful motivation.

I've recently discovered that the NSAID I was taking (relafen) has been causing most of my lung issues. I've been on one NSAID or another for the last 15 years (the lung problems are about 10 years old, getting worse each year). Because my medicare coverage ran out, I couldn't afford my NSAID anymore, so I didn't refill. I was going to buy OTC ibuprofen or naproxen, but it was a couple weeks til payday, so I just started using the heating pad more. My lungs were better nearly instantly and when I could afford the naproxen I talked to the pharmacist and she said if one NSAID caused asthma for me, any including aspirin could.

Amazingly, I've been able to stop all steroids, even the steroid inhaler for a couple months now. I did have to have a steroid inhaler when I caught a really bad cold this month that settled in my chest, but the doctor said I could stop it after two weeks or when the wheezing had stopped for a couple days, whichever came first. I was on the inhaler less than a week.

I'm also FINALLY losing weight again which I credit largely to cutting carbs drastically, but I can't discount being steroid-free either.

Phillygirl2
02-23-2008, 09:41 AM
I hate to say this, but prednisone is what sent me on my "upward spiral" when it came my weight. About ten years ago, they put me on prednisone because they thought my breast cancer had moved to my chest (it was a false alarm). I was only on it for six weeks and I gained 40 pounds, and after that it just kept climbing. I tried everything to get rid of it, and it just wouldn't budge. I finally just gave up and am now 100 pounds heavier than I was back then.

Four years ago, I went on WW, lost 25 pounds in six weeks. My doctors ordered cortisone shots for a problem in my back, and my weight loss just stopped abruptly and my weight started climbing again. The doctors said that the cortisone shots would not make you gain weight, but that is just a lie. The permission form you have to sign even states that the cortisone shots "may" cause weight gain.

I was made to feel like it was my own fault by my doctors after both of these experiences.

Last month, I went back on my WW, but I am so disgusted at how much I have to lose now. I get angry every time I think about it.

My doctors get annoyed at me, too, because I refuse any treatment now that involves steroids. I'd rather be in pain than gain one more ounce!

teagal
03-07-2008, 12:58 PM
I have been on prednisone for the past 5 years. I started out getting a shot once a month then graduated to the oral tablet.
I was taking as much as 60mg a day and as little as 20mg a day depending on how my asthma was at the time.
I am now in the process of weaning myself off from it. I am happy :carrot: to say I am down to 2.5mg a day and hope to be off it completley in the next couple of months. (sooner God willing).
My body is going through withdrawls but I have learned to ignore them. I know living without the prdnisone will far outweigh the withdrawls.
I have had some Doctors tell me losing weight while on prednisone is impossible and others who say it is possible. I have been starving myself for the past 2 months and so far have lost 4 lbs. :?:
I have lost weight before, 80 lbs in 6 months time to be exact. I do believe it is possible to lose but it also depends on the individual and how active they can be. My activity is very little to non existant because of my shortness of breath.
I have been told by people who used prednisone and by those who knew someone that did and they all agree that the weight will come off after the steroid is stopped 100%.
I sure hope this is true. I worked very hard at keeping that 80lbs off for 15 years. Then I developed a condition that required steroid use. I tell everyone, if I only knew then what I know now I'd :mad: NEVER have let them give me any type of steroid.
In the 5 years time I gained a whopping total of 60lbs. The weight isn't as bad as the apple belly that came along with my new side burns. Thank God for Nair!!

teagal
03-07-2008, 01:04 PM
My opinion is you need to wean off of the steroid. My new Dr. told me Wednesday that maybe I should increase my dosage again for a few weeks.
I told him "NO WAY". I think it would be easier to get off of illegal drugs than it is to get off prednisone but at some point we have to. I was on high doses for 5 years. I am now at 2.5mg. I started the weaning process in October of 07, I'm almost there!!
You can do it too.

kaplods
03-07-2008, 04:27 PM
It isn't just opinion, you have to wean off of steroids (unless it's a very small dose). Suddenly stopping can cause serious harm and even death, because only by tapering off do you get your body to start making its own steroids again.

This isn't at all related to addiction. Sometimes we use addiction and dependence interchangeably, but they're not. Once you've tapered completely off the drug, you don't continue to "crave" prednisone. Tramadol (a non-narcotic pain reliever) sometimes gets the same bad rap. It can cause more dependence, yet is less addictive than stronger narcotic medications. Many people who stop it suddenly or who miss a dose will experience nausea and headaches (definitely true for me). So to go off it you do have to taper. However, it doesn't create a psychological high (except perhaps in ridiculously high doses, as I have heard that some people who abuse narcotics find a way to abuse tramadol - though it would generally make you sick before it made you high).

It's an important distinction, because when you have a condition that requires a drug that causes dependence, the last thing you need is for others (and yourself) considering you "addicted." I've had friends and family make comments about both the prednisone and the tramadol (more about the tramadol, something about taking any pain medication makes some people nervous) - so I had to educate them.

ErikaMCT
03-16-2008, 09:03 PM
hi everyone. i'm new to the site and i'm already loving it. i'm 17 years old and i've been on prednise for 10 months, now i'm down to 4mg a day and i can't wait to gwt off of it completely. this is my senioer year in high school and prom is coming soon....i've always been a "pretty girl" so you can imagine what my moon face has done to my self esteem. i've never worked out in my life so i'm really worried that the 20 pounds i've gained won't go away. can anyone give me any advice, or hope....?

QuilterInVA
03-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Start an exercise program now - get some friends and go for a walk. The weight will not magically disappear.

kaplods
03-17-2008, 02:12 PM
My aunt had very noticeable moon face after her kidney transplant because of the prednisone and other medications. She looked like a different person. She's still on prednisone, but a much, much lower dose and most of the extra weight and moonface has disappeared. She definitely looks like herself again. Her cheeks are a tiny bit fuller than they used to be (not that anyone would notice, as she had very sharp cheekbones and an angular face, so a little extra fullness isn't noticable).

Some of the weight very well may come off easily with the reduced dose, or when you're off it completely. I've known people whose weight "snapped back" with little or no exercise or dieting when the prednisone was reduced or discontinued. I've also known people who never had a weight problem before prednisone, and even after the prednisone was discontinued they were left with a weight problem and possibly even a changed metabolism.

There is hope, and not only that it might resolve easily, but that even if it doesn't diet and exercise are not futile. You might find that the weight loss is slow no matter what you do, so you have to be more patient with yourself, but it will help - not only with the weight loss, but with self-esteem, confidence, and health.

Good Luck!

ErikaMCT
03-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Thank you!

oosiewoosie25
03-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Thank GOD! Finally, I can communicate with people who are going through what I'm going through. I have to take prednisone beacause I found out I have Crohn's as well as ankylosing spondylitis. I have recently gained around 50 lbs!!!!!!!! in the last 8 months. I have always been kind of heavy set but I'm tall so you really can't tell a whole lot but I do have the moon face thing going on. Need weight loss help fast.

amy180
04-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Thank GOD! Finally, I can communicate with people who are going through what I'm going through. I have to take prednisone beacause I found out I have Crohn's as well as ankylosing spondylitis. I have recently gained around 50 lbs!!!!!!!! in the last 8 months. I have always been kind of heavy set but I'm tall so you really can't tell a whole lot but I do have the moon face thing going on. Need weight loss help fast.
I gained about 70 lbs fast and recently lost 30 of it, still on the Prednisone (though on 20mg instead of 120) and found that cutting sodium helped a lot, I would bloat amazingly bad if I ate too much sodium. Cutting out sugar and presumably getting my glucose levels a bit more normal cut the food cravings a bit. It's still harder than losing weight without prednisone, but it's possible!

I had moonface BAD and the buffalo hump. People I knew well did not recognize me. Seriously. That was freaky. The moonface is pretty much gone but my cheeks are pudgier still, I only notice it when I look in the mirror and compare with my student ID or passport photos (my face was looking incredibly gaunt in my passport photos) but I'm working on it. A lot of the weight was in my middle and I got stretchmarks really bad too, looks like I was attacked by bear in my belly and hips. Argh.

carolr3639
04-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Wow! This thread is still going. I'm still on predsnisone after 3 yr. and recently found I feel better eliminating bread, potatoes, pasta and sweets.......more energy, less aches and pains, just a better feeling overall. Nevertheless, I still struggle to do this as I love these foods. I've tried that 4 day diet popularized by James Zeta but available on ebay for much less. That really works to cut cravings, etc. but is hard to stick to. It's mainly fruit, veggies and protein, no bread etc. It's great if you have an event coming up as it gives more of a reason to stick to it. And it's only 4 days.

carolr3639
04-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Forgot to say that the belly weight is nearly driving me nuts. ha!

artistalicio
04-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi All! I am so thankful that i found this site. As i saw in several of ya'lls posts, we all seem to have that dirty "p" word in common. Prednizone...blah. I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis when i was 16 years old. I am now 25 and have been in and out of "remission." It seems like in the past everytime i'd get the dosage down and be on top of things with my weight, then i'd get sick again and have to start the dosage over again. I'm currently on ten mgs and have been for about a year. My body isnt gettin rid of the weight like it has in the past. The moon face, the buffalo hump, the swollen abdomen...yeah...all of it is there...a constant reminder to me of a condition that i will have for the rest of my life.

I also have endometriosis. It was in stage four when the doctors found out, and after a year of treatment i'm now taking a regular three month shot of depot provera. This also seems to add to weight gain.

I was interested to see many of you all mention a low carb diet, drinking lots of water and less salt. My doctors have told me NOTHING about how i can lose weight. Basically i've been told to resign myself that in order to live, i'll have to deal with being obese. I'm 5'9 and at a wapping 230+ i'm not sure that i can deal with the weight gain.

I get so depressed. I have a great personality and a good sense of humor. I rarely complain to anyone outside of my family about my condition. I'm single and sometimes i feel like that the only thing men see when they look at me is a fun fat girl....and i wonder if i'll ever find someone who might actually be interested enough in me to not worry about the fat..

Dont get me wrong...i'm not looking to lose weight for anyone but me...I want to be SEEN..for the person i really am. Plus i get tired of running out of energy and feeling achy all the time....everything is always swollen and it's just a terrible thing to deal with. It's like people just think you're a fat girl...you dont really look sick, and they dont know you have an illness, so they assume your just lazy...

As a girl that was always fit, this is hard to deal with...

I just need encouragment guys...i see so many of you with weight scales on here showing that you HAVE lost weight..I'll take any suggestions you have to offer....i'm bound and determined to take control of this. It cant be impossible! God is too good a God for it to be impossible.

Thank you all...

carolr3639
04-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Aristalicio, I've had sarcoidosis since I was 27 and am now 59. I was able to ignore it for about 25 yr. because I have 10 children and pregnancy causes naturally high levels of cortisone. But about 3 years ago I was in kidney failure due to high blood calcium. Prednisone helped that but I gained lots of weight. It is mainly a lung disease so that is the main problem. Lilybelle, a gal that posts a lot on maintainers has some type of liver disease that she has been on prednisone for a number of years. She lost almost 100lb on low carb. I think she watches her calories and carbs now but has maintained for over a year or so. I think she has at least 1 post on this thread. So it is possible to lose.

Ann1231
04-24-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm fighting prednisone weight too. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I gained 54 pounds. I lost 20 but with upping my prednisone again here the last month or so, I've gained 10 of that back. I hate that my waist curves OUT instead of in!

With being in pain so much, I haven't been good about staying on any weight loss plan. That just has to change. I don't feel good and I don't feel good about myself. My dr.s have suggested low carb for me and beginning *again* in the morning, that's what I'm doing.

I'm sorry there's so many of us in this boat!
Ann

artistalicio
04-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Carol, Thanks for the encouragement. Ann, I'm trying to start up with a low carb diet as well...but sheesh oh pete, it's hard isnt it??

A friend of mine told me to try South Beach...but honestly i just can't afford to follow a plan like that. I'm just gonna try to find as much information as i can on following a low carb diet and try to just create my own.

I've been walking more regularly, and drinking a lot of water. I also would suggest eating cucumbers, if you are like me and dont like water that much. I love cucumbers and they are a natural diuretic, so they will help a little with the water weight. My doctors wont put me on a water pill, so i'm trying to do that naturally. I've cut my caffeine down a lot, and i'm trying to incorportate crystal light and sugar free hawaain punch powder packets in to make the water taste a bit less like water! :)

Lets all hang in there, friends. At least we know we arent alone. i dont wish this on any of you guys, but it is nice to know that there are others out there that understand.

Be blessed,
ALICE

Shy Moment
04-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Prednisone was one of the meads that helped me get to where I was lol. I finally decided the benefits of all the meads I was on wasn't worth all the weight gain. Once they were pretty much out of my system the doc said I could TRY to lose weight but not to expect to much it could take forever. What did she know. I have been doing pretty well with a nice balanced diet and exercise to help tone the body. It took awhile to get off the mead and from time to time I still have to take a very very small dose because of the rheumatoid arthritis in the winter months or very wet months. I gained about 80 pounds I guess in just a few short months. Steroids and cortisones are real weight gainers. Make sure if you want to get off this med you do it with your doctors help. This is one of those meads you don't want to mess with and just stop taking.

patri23
04-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi,
I've been on prednisone for about 6 months due to a severe complication of pregnancy called CAPS (Catastrophic Antiphospholipid Syndrome). I originally started at 100mg daily, which ballooned me from 110 lbs to 198lbs. I looked like the Michelin Man. For the past 4 months ive been tapering off prednisone, and im currently at 12.5mg. I still have the dreaded "moon face" which i absolutely HATE. i cant stand how i look in pictures because i dont see myself anymore. i also have pockets of fat on my neck, thighs, and hips. i am so anxious to get back to normal. i would say that i am 10-15 lbs more than i used to be. Im eating very healthy diet and avoiding salt and sugar as much as possible. Does anyone know when i will start to really see a reduction in water retention and the dreaded moon face?

jimaterry
04-28-2008, 10:48 PM
predisone is such a bad drug.. my mother who has been on 30mgs a day for 8 years for COPD and is 67 years old broke her hip two weeks ago.. due to prednisone.. she didnt fall.. it was a slow break because the prednisone had weakened and degenerated her muscles so bad the hip had nothing to support it.. she has had the hip replaced, but the drs dont know if it will 'take' because of all the muscle damage.. also a couple years ago she developed steroidal cateracts and had to have surgery in both eyes..
my sister also has copd and has been on 40mgs per day for about 5 years.. she is 38.. she too developed steroidal cateracts and has had surgery.. so please ladies walk and exercise to keep your muscles in as good a shape as you can.. prednisone can be a lifesaver but there are sooooo many complications caused by it

daisy10178
05-01-2008, 09:18 PM
I have been on a minimum of 20 mg of prednisone daily for the last 10 years. During the first 2 years I gained 70 lbs and have been unable to loose it. I have consulted 3 different hospital based nutritionists and far more doctors asking for information to help lose weight. I have yet to find anyone who could tell me why prednisone causes weight gain or what dietary strategies would counteract the impact of prenisone. It would seem that prednisone must cause some change to the way the body normally processes food. What is it? It would also seem logical that someone should know how to interfere with the weight gain by eating less or more of certain foods. What are they? I am amazed that so many professionals, including those that prescribe prednisone, do not understand the mechanisms of prednisone caused weight gain. I am also amazed that there isn't more information available at any of the medical/health web sites. I recently called the manufacturer of prednisone for information but have yet to get a call back. I am desperate for factual information and would appreciate any information or referral to resources.

PMR
05-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Found this site today - GREAT info! I've been on prednisone for 8 months for PMR and I'm down to 2.5 mgs/day after picking up a 20 lb. weight gain. 45 min./day workouts along with about 2500 cals/day haven't done diddley to keep the scale from ^. Since starting on the pred. I haven't been able to break into a sweat, ergo no weight loss. All the crunches on the AbLounge yield no \/ on the pred. pouch - maddening!

I didn't know about MORE water & less carbs and will start both immediately. Just wanted to express gratitude for the help here.

Will

kaplods
05-18-2008, 08:27 PM
When I first started a long term course of prednisone when I was first being treated for what appears to be an autoimmune disease, my doctor then told me that prednisone increases appetite (which I definitely noticed), and also lowers metabolism and causes water retention.

There's quite a bit of information online as to why and how prednisone does this, but practical advice does seem to be lacking. Unfortunately, the medical community is well-known for lack of information on nutrition and nutritional theories. A nutritionist might have more insight.

jtuman
06-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi!
My name is Jodine, and I have an autoimmune disease called Myasthenia Gravis. I have been on Prednisone since March 2003, lower doses, under 15 mg daily. I recently had a baby girl in December 2007, and I have not been the same since. I have been on 30 mg daily since July 2007, and am now on 60 mg/50mg alternating dailly. I have a very big moon face, double chins and a buffalo hump on my neck. I have also begun gaining weight primarily in my abdomen. I'm looking for a good book on what kind of diet and foods to eat while on such high doses of prednisone. Is "Coping with Prednisone" by Eugenia Zukerman a good book that has nutritional information in it? Any help would be appreciated. I was going to do Weight Watchers, but a lot of low fat food has high sodium in it, and that is not good for users of Prednisone. Thanks!!

RissaIsAFatty
06-22-2008, 03:17 PM
My doctor put me on Prednisone a few months ago for my osteo-arthritis in my neck and 2 slipped discs to go with it. I only take them as I need them, which isn't often unless the weather is bad. I've gained weight, but I'm not sure if it's the Prednisone or something else. I'm on multiple meds and am really hoping to get this whole "weight" thing in check!

dyoung1
07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Hello,

My name is Desirae and I am pleased to have found this site with so much great information about prednisone and weight gain. I have a condition called antiphospholipid syndrome and have developed anemia as well. I'm on 20mgs from 60mg daliy for the past 6 weeks. I have gained 10 lbs, but exercise and eat healthy too. I think I will try the low carb diet and see if that works. I have a doctor's appointment next week so hopefully he will have some good news for me about taking the prednisone, maybe 10mgs daily to wean me off of them. We will see....

carolr3639
07-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I should check this thread more often. I'm still on prednisone....3 yr. now....and my dr. told me I'd probably need it for life. I have sarcoidosis also an autoimmune disease. I think you gain weight because of hunger!!! It does taper off after the dose goes down...at least a little. I have lost about 30lb just using intutive eating. Eugenia Zukerman's book is a good one. I still have about 30lb to go.

Teresa409
07-11-2008, 05:01 PM
I have been on prednisone for 7 months and have gained an alarming 40 pounds. I have battled my weight my entire life, so when the neurologist said prednisone, my reaction was absolutely last resort. I have myasthenia gravis that affects my vision, swallowing, and lifting, walking. Prednisone is an amazing horrible drug. I am excited to try the low carb diet to help me with weight loss while on prednisone. Since I have myasthenia gravis, I have to be careful about exercise. I also have been taking over the counter diurex to help with the moon face. It has not affected the weight gain, but it really helps with reducing the moon face (not completely, but anything is welcome!) I am so glad to find this site, no one understands the devistation of prednisone unless they are on it long term. Looking forward to a smaller me and hope the best for everyone!
:)

lvl42freak
07-14-2008, 02:26 PM
I found this thread back in March and started on a low carg way of life. While I haven't lost much, 6 pounds, I also haven't gained any. I have been on 60 mgs. of prednisone and 100 mg. of Imuran, God only know how much I would have put on if I hadn't found this thread. Thank you

webcreatrix
07-31-2008, 11:37 PM
My doctor has prescribed prednisone for allergies I've had for the last three weeks. I'll be taking 50mg a day for 5 days, then 40, then 30, etc. Should I be concerned for weight gain in taking this for a short period of time? Seems like I'll be taking it a few weeks to a month?

apeters8
08-03-2008, 12:09 AM
I'm so happy that I found this forum... I was diagnosed level three ulcerative colitus back in May and I was 40mg of prednisone for two months and have been tapering of by 5mg a week. The first major thing I've notice is my appetite is gone almost completely. But I did gain back twenty pounds and I'm desprite to lose it. I'm now only taking 15mg a and will be down to 10mg by next week. I keep hearing stories of people who find the weight comes of easily and others that say its the hardest thing. I want to try and start working out even if its riding my bike or aquafit but all my joints are killing like they never have before... anyone got any good advice even if it's just going to help me lose like 5-10 pounds it would really help because I'm going to meet my boyfriend(met online 6 months ago) for the first time in two weeks and I don't want him to think I'm fat and ugly!!

bumblybee
08-12-2008, 08:59 PM
i was on it continusly for a year starting at 60mg and stayed there more than have the time.
i went to bed one night and woke up the next day and couldnt fit in the clothes i worn the day before, so i hopped on the scale and had gain 12lbs in six hours of sleeping....i kid you not.
occasionally i have to go on it now and then. and i cry immeditaly every time im told so.

ebarfield
08-18-2008, 10:43 PM
:angel: I have been on Prednisone since last November when I was finally diagnosed with Lupus. I had suffered a stroke in July, and was admitted to the hospital in November for shortness of breath. I was an emotional mess.

I have gained quite a bit of poundage throughout this ordeal and swelled quite a bit since on the pred. I feel alot better and emotionally stronger but I do get down and out about the weight. I have noticed if I drink plenty of water and eat well there tends to be an enormous difference in how I feel. Does anyone out there have that burning sensation on their muscles. That makes it very difficult for me to exercise but I will keep it up because I know it's good for me and will help me in the long run.

I have come to the conclusion and realization that I have to be very committed to my well being and since then it has been a huge difference in how I feel. I am determined to lose this extra poundage one way or another. I will not let Lupus get the best of me. So don't give up. We are all in it together.

Totalpraise
08-19-2008, 03:17 PM
I can't knock Prednisone, because it is a life giver. I have asthma and usually do short bursts of 10 mgs for 5 days. However, in May I had a terrible asthma attack and had to go to Emergency room in the Bahamas. I was given lots of IV of Pred /Albulterol (7 IV's ) and took predisone for three weeks. However, as soon as I tapered down to ten mg, the coughing and wheezing would began. At last, after taking Predisone since May 15, I'm being weaned and should be off by Thursday. (Praise God) However, during the course, I've put on 17 pounds. And, I was overweight (but fit) before. I'm wearing a pedometer - trying to get in 10,000 steps a day. That's hard, but at least it reminds me to walk more - to the bathroom, from the parking lot, etc. Now that I have breath I'll exercise inside. I can't wait until frost and I can walk outside again. Now that the cravings are subsiding I'm logging in my food and keep water besides me at all times. Anyway, this thread is encouraging, because most people just don't understand. I hate my body, my clothes don't fit, and my face doesn't look right. But I'm working on "encouraging" myself and following God's lead.

ebarfield
08-20-2008, 12:03 AM
You are absolutely right. Pred is a drug with a double edged sword, without it, I suffer from Pericarditis, not fun. As I taper off I hope to be able to be taken off the pred completely.

I look back and inspite of the awful weight gain and burning muscle sensation, I'd rather be here than were I was last year. My faith in God, family, friends and blogs like this have been very instrumental in my everyday life.

I have been told so many times it's difficult for them to know I am not feeling well, I appear well and chipper. my husband had a hard time understaning Lupus even though he did attend most of my Dr's visit. So this sight is great to find support especially when you are down and out and unhappy with your appearance.

Totalpraise
08-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Teresa, I understand about people not understanding. There are so many diseases where a person DOESN'T LOOK SICK -whatever that means. Asthma is one (unless you are wheezing loudly). My ex-husband used to give me THAT look - as if I was "acting". And actually, it wasn't until my MF (male friend) saw me hooked up to the IV with chest monitors on my chest, that he really understood. (Now, he's too understanding and wants me to take it easy too much.) But if we retain a positive attitude, and believe that "all things work together" and remember that there is always someone worse off -- we can get through it.

Someone recently in this thread asked if a short stretch (5-days with a weaning period) would make you gain weight. When I wasn't menopausal short bursts of prednisone didn't effect me. Now that I'm old in years (but not in attitude), the smallest dosage starts the weight gain. But, never give up -- never, never, never, give up.

God bless and keep

carolr3639
09-02-2008, 01:26 PM
You have some very encouraging words, Total Praise, you should post more often. I don't think short bouts of pred will cause trouble but anything over a month or 2 will. I get the muscle weakness and pain even though, after 3 yr., I am temporarily off the pred. I think I'll be going back on soon but I have learned a few things like if you get down to 5mg, you can probably handle it.

mb2tl
09-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Since the doctors upped my dose of prednisone from 10mg daily to 30mg daily, I have gained an enormous amount of weight. I gained 40lbs. in 2 days! I have gotten stretch marks all over from the rapid/excessive weight gain. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the weight off so I can start living a healthier life and not feel so bad physically and about myself?

carolr3639
09-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Someone above mentioned that a diuretic would help a little with the sudden weight gain. It's the terrible hunger on high doses that gets me down. Lower doses can be handled but by then you might have 50 or more lb to lose. I just eat when I'm hungry until I'm not, usually pretty small amounts. I used to think low carb was the way but that is hard on the kidneys and I have damaged kidneys.

kfl820
10-19-2008, 11:14 PM
SOOOOO glad to find this thread! I started prednisone in Feb 08 for chronic hives and I really appreciate the comment about not "looking sick" but being on very high does of medications. Not only predisone but tons of antihistamines, calcium supplements, other supplements. I'm getting close to being off the prednisone which in my opinion is harsh but let me to live my life while breaking out with quarter to dinner plate size hives all over the body. I have also gained about 40 pounds...very frustrating....and have the nasty stretch marks to prove it too...any suggestions on those?
I know there is hard work ahead of me and more than the weight loss I need to protect my bones, my heart, and my life and eating right and exercising are what will do that for me.
Thanks again for this thread!
Kelly

carolr3639
10-29-2008, 11:03 AM
If you get down to a lower dose, say 5mg every other day, you will be less hungry but still need to watch portion sizes. I tried different diets but none seemed to help with pred use. So now I just try to eat less.

kuhljeanie
10-29-2008, 11:23 AM
has anyone else suffered from steroid psychosis? i was on pred for 2 friggin weeks (that's ALL - no weight gain issues) but spent the last week tapering and the next week and a half hallucinating, not sleeping (on an alarming amount of ambien), and pacing. like a crazy person. couldn't stop twitching and moving. i didn't know where i was half the time. the best my doc could do for me was keep me sedated (passed out even better) until my pituitary gland started working again. i really, really hope that i never get sick with something that requires steroids, because i won't take them. surely medical science can come up with a better solution!

carolr3639
10-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Well, if your kidneys were failing because of sarcoidosis, you'd have to take them. I once made the same statement and here I am on them now for 3 yr. Better than a kidney transplant and antirejections meds. And yes, I've had the trouble you speak of, not too often, though. I went off them for a month this summer and when I went back on I woke up one night not knowing where I was and sure I was dying.

kuhljeanie
10-31-2008, 02:01 PM
it's awful, isn't it? had a night when i was sure my soul was flying around the room and i could see my body. i was almost relieved when i found out i was just hallucinating. i'd never heard of sarcoidosis before i read this thread... that's heartbreaking. wishing you the absolute best!

hadams29
11-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Hey! My name is Haley and I have been on Hydrocortisone for 21 years for Addison's Disease. I was on Predisone before and gained tons of weight on that, also. I can't seem to lose the weight that the steroids cause. I can lose it if I don't take it, but then I would die. I would rather be fat in that case. Anyone got any tips for losing the weight?

amy180
01-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Ah, back to this thread. Prednisone has saved and ruined my life simultaneously. Saved because I just couldn't handle the pain of autoimmune problems anymore, ruined because I gained 70 pounds and no longer recognize myself when I look in the mirror. As I mentioned before, it's mostly in my midsection. I only went up in pants from a size 9 to a size 11/12, and with that much poundage one would expect to go up more, except that it's not in my hips and butt, it's all in my stomach and lovehandles, not to mention the moonface and buffalo hump.

One thing I was sad to realize is that there is a lack of info not only on how to deal with weight on prednisone, but also with mood swings! I don't watch much television but caught a couple of episodes of "house" recently, and in some of them people were put on prednisone and it was mentioned that it causes mood changes. This made me realize how rarely I ever hear anyone acknowledge this fact! I only had a few episodes of all out steroid psychosis with hallucinations, usually upon waking up in the middle of the night, but 24 hours a day my moods were affected. Usually in a negative way, irritability, severe depression (I would come to my dorm room between classes and just cry for no good reason), sleeplessness, paranoia, all sorts of things. The biggest thing for me was lack of motivation. Not just laziness, but I mean severe lack of wanting to do anything, ever, moreso than just with depression, it was like my entire personality and attitude changed 100%.

While I managed to lose a about 30 of the pounds I gained, I am still struggling, and agree with whomever who said her problems were more the hunger than the lowered metabolism, though I'm sure both are part of it. I still want to eat all the time, and before prednisone I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain weight, so I suppose I was spoiled in a way, and it's ging to require more lifestyle changes.

I should probably mention that, though it makes me eat like a horse, the 30 lbs I lost were by walking and giving up nondiet soda. Between the lack of willpower that I think is egged on by the mood changes from the prednisone and the increased appetite, I just always want to eat, like stuffing my face until I can't eat anymore a few times a day and then grazing the rest of the day. Even if I feel somewhat full, that feeling doesn't last. So I am trying to focus on eating/drinking healthier rather than just trying to cut calories. I have given up the nondiet soda in favor of water and crystal lite (which makes me feel less like I'm denying myself, drinking a sweet but low cal drink now and then), and having veggie instead of potato chips (I'm lucky in that I love veggies though).

gailtucker
01-25-2009, 08:55 PM
I found this forum during a general search on losing weight while on prednisone and aftr I registered it took me forever to re-find the posts that I was interested in reading! I was diagnosed with sarc in June08 although for a few months after a lung biopsy they thought I had lymphoma. No matter what I was on the prednisone because I had high blood calcium and almost stage 4 kidney failure. A lymph biopsy in Sept 08 confirmed the sarc.

I had finally taken the bull by the horns, joined Curves (after losing about 20 lbs when they adjusted my thyroid med etc). I continued eating better and exercising and lost another 33 lbs. It was getting harder and harder to breath while exercising so the workouts weren't as hard or long but I still could lose 2-4 lbs a month. Then came the prednisone. I've gained 14 lbs in 7 months, feel just as crappy as I did before when they thought I had hormone problems disturbing my sleep and reducing my energy to nil. Kidney function has only improved a small amount and while I don't cough all the time, I have to use an inhaler to get through a much reduced workout. Losing 50 lbs helped reduce my diabetes and high blood pressure meds but the pred has put me back right where I was.

The respirologist here (Victoria BC Canada) doesn't have any one else with sarcidosis with symptoms like mine and figures that I should be grateful for only 14 lbs gained - I'm not. I might be if I felt better but after a day at work (self employed quilt shop) I can barely find the energy for the gym and after that I crawl home and try and loose the mood before I start the next day. At least before pred, losing weight kinda lifted the energy at the gym but now I am finding it harder and harder ti make myself go.

I've never really had a 'belly' - just put weight on all over like an fat pump had just blown me up like the Pillsbury dough boy. Now I measure more around the belly than I did 40 lbs ago. Necklaces are now chokers.

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone and I've read things about pred that I hadn't seen before. My GP won't make any decisions and I don't see the specialist again until April. I am hoping that if I haven't significantly improved he will take me off the meds and let me limp along as before..

'Til then, no calcium, no sunshine, low protein, low carb - barely enought fuel to get me through a workout,and barely enough patience and good humour to get me through a day of demanding customers.
gailtucker

amy180
02-06-2009, 10:15 PM
sorry to hear. I found this forum by searching about prednisone specifically too, I swear the stuff has been ruining my life for a couple of years now.
Losing 50 lbs helped reduce my diabetes and high blood pressure meds but the pred has put me back right where I was.
Ugh. Yes, I feel yr pain there. I was hospitalized in mid January afer losing 35 lbs or so, they put me on some other steroid intravenously for 2 days then switched to oral prednisone for the next 2 weeks. The weight? Yeah, it's back. So are the related health problems.

I've never really had a 'belly' - just put weight on all over like an fat pump had just blown me up like the Pillsbury dough boy. Now I measure more around the belly than I did 40 lbs ago. Necklaces are now chokers.
Yeah, the different distribution of fat freaks me out a lot, when I gained weight a while ago before the prednisone, it was in my thighs and butt and I still felt strong and energetic, I jsut had a bit too much fat in my lower body. Then I lost the weight through exercise. Then the prednisone and I gained all of it back and then some, and feel so tired and weak all the time that I have trouble getting myself to exercise. I just want to sleep. And my belly is huge, so are my upper arms and neck, my legs less so, but god, the belly...

kodama
02-11-2009, 02:41 PM
I've been on prednisone for more than twelve years and as a result suffered many of the side effects.

I don't think losing weight is impossible but I do think it's much more difficult. First of all you don't usually take prednisone, especially in high doses, unless you are really sick! That in itself often contributes to weight gain.

When you don't feel well you don't have the mental energy that's needed for long term weight loss.

I lost forty pounds while on prednisone but it was a lower dose than I am on now. I was quite sick for over a year and on 40 mg of prednisone I gained thirty pounds and lost most of it with in a short time of lowering the dose.

I think the higher the dose/longer you are on it, the more likely you are to gain weight

I am still quite overweight but this is more from numerous feet fractures and injuries when I try to exercise.

It's easy to blame the gain on prednisone when it may be emotional factors causing the weight gain.

amy180
02-15-2009, 06:58 AM
Yeah the mental energy/willpower is a huge thing, and it's easy to get discouraged. That's my problem. Last year I lost 35 pounds while on prednisone, but I've been a lot sicker this year and need to get things under control again. Ifeel that it really affects me mentally though, and that's a big obstacle. When not on prednisone, i have no problem getting out and exercising, and when I am, it's just... I have an enormously bad attitude and don't care I guess. Then I wake up and realize that I DO care, and I've set myself back so far already. It's also the constant hunger from it, and I was always used to eating until I felt full and I never gained weight from that until Prednisone, because I never feel full! So I am trying to use more common sense there.

kodama
02-16-2009, 06:50 PM
When I was at 40 mg I couldn't lose. Remember that prednisone makes you retain water and it seems the higher the dose the more water. When I got below thirty mg I started losing without even trying. You will also have better luck if you are well enough to exercise. Ever the optimist I will exercise for even just 2-3 minutes. My doctor thinks that's great. As I get healthier of course I can exercise longer.

I lost 4 pound last week on 24 mgs of pred. I can now do weights which I do every other day. And I ride my exercise bike a bit (not long times maybe six minutes two or three times a day) Trying to increase that.

amy180
02-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Yeah, 40mg seems some kind of cutoff point for me too, below that I do better with eating/exercise/etc. and my sleeping is a lot better. Right now I'm at 40 but then will be going down a bit soon. My sleep schedule is terrible, and that doesn't help matters at all, but I do try to take short walks whenever I can and I think my endurance is improving, I was in the hospital for a week last month (after already being sick in bed for a week) and the lack of moving around just made me really weak and crappy feeling, as well as gaining weight again. Then I retain so much water from the prednisone sometimes that taking a walk makes my back hurt.

It's doable though. Last spring I was on about 20mg and I went for a walk every evening, gave up soda, tried to eat healthier, lifted weights, and lost weight. Motivation is a big factor too, and lately that's my problem.

Rene NYC
03-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Hello All,

I am so glad that after an exhaustive search, I found this site and so many people dealing with the same health issues/obstacles that I am.

I was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis in 2001 after a routine chest xray showed abnormalities. after the Xray my docs believed what I had was lymphoma because my Sarcoid had an atypical presentation. But after the lung biopsy they confirmed it as Sarcoid.

Since my Sarcoid wasn't blocking my air passages they did not have a treatment plan for me. Not meds - just wait and see.

About a year ago I had a bad allergy season. I've always had 'weird' allergies. Spontaneous hives, etc. The hives never lasted more than a few weeks, but they were weird because I could never figure out where thy were coming from.

Anyway, last year I saw an allergist because during my attacks I noticed swelling in my neck lymph nodes.

The allergist said: 'Allergies doesn't do that'. He referred me to a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist said: Sarcoid doesn't do that'.

Anyway, I got frustrated and didn't return to see a doctor until about a month ago.

In the last year my lymphnodes have swollen in my neck, arm pits and groin. Painless. They vary slight in size. The large ones are about the size of large grapes.

In the last month I have had almost every test under the sun. All my blood work has come back in the normal range. Mamogram - clean. HIV - negative.

Tomorrow I will have the lymphnode biopsied.

This should give me a definitive answer as to what is going on. It's scary being diagnosed, waiting to hear, etc.

Of course, my ultimate hope is that I don't have lymphoma.

The doc says that if it is Sarcoid, I will have to go on Prednisone for a while...6 months. That seems like a long time.

I fear the side-effects, including the weight gain.

I wanted to introduce myself to you all. This seems like such a supportive group. Thanks for listening.

-R

lilycat0126
03-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Oh my gosh!
Ive been on prednisone for 7 months now, I just turned fourteen.
I have gained alot of pounds now.
I used to have an extremely high metabolism, but now i keep gaining weight!
And I cant go on the low carb diet, because i need all the carbs i can get for cross country! And i know what the leg cramps are like too!
Its been really hard and painful to run when i get them.
Everybody keeps telling me how fat my face is!
But im being tapered finally, and i just hope everything will go back to normal!
When i began taking prednesone i weighed 93 pounds, now im up to 109 pounds. i have the horrible stretch marks too! What should i do instead of a low carb diet? And will the stretch marks go away?
Thank youuuu!!! :)

kodama
03-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Lilycat,

I'm so sorry you have to be on prednisone at such an early age. I wouldn't worry about the weight too much, as active as you are once you taper off the prednisone, I'm sure the weight will come off too.

As for the stretchmarks, there isn't much you can do, but they do fade with time.

A low carb diet doesn't mean no carbs. You just don't want excess. And you want to be eating the right carbs, which you probably are if you are running. You don't want a lot of processed sugars and you want carbs with fiber as opposed to those without.

You should be aware that you can get diabetes from taking prednisone. The higher the dose and the longer you take it the greater the chance, that's why the low carb diet is important. I've been taking prednisone for about thirteen years and two years ago I got prednisone induced diabetes. Not fun. : (

Also you need to make sure that you are taking a calcium suppliment preferably with Vit D while you are on prednisone. Prednisone also interfers with bone mass and you can end up with stress fractures or fractures. But your doctor probably told you that.

With all those horrible things said, remember that you must need the prednisone or your doctor wouldn't prescribe it. It's better to be alive and have some quality of life than to have a perfect body. : )

Good Luck!

Jeanbean

JulieBahrain
04-03-2009, 02:14 AM
I was on prednisone for a year and I gained 40 pounds in 2 months , I had no clue what my body was in for . I no longer take it , but since I have been diagnosed with R A I take it for only a week at a time when the swelling and engery level gets too low. I wish I had known in 2003 what my body was in for when I had to take it. I am determined to never take it full time again and I think losing weight will be a BIG help.

My doc wants to try it for my RA as well - I told him NO WAY.... I'm already on Anti-depressants, and I have huge self esteem issues - linked to my weight and appearance - no way I could cope emotionally with the weight gain. So I'm just hoping that the Methotrexate will do it's job

skinner4
04-05-2009, 07:34 PM
My doctor says that even maintaining your weight while on prednisone is an achievement. I have several doctors and they all have been unhelpful as to the weight gain. I am on a 1000 - 1200 calorie diet - low fat, high protein, high fiber. I eat every few hours (small meals) to keep from getting too hungry. I work out everyday - cardio, aerobics, and weight training. I am just so frustrated that I have nothing to show for all the workouts and the diet (going on 3 months and counting).

What's your Prednisone dosage?

sherrisattitude
04-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi, I'm new here and just located this site today. I've been on prednisone for since Dec 31 of 2007 after renal failure. I was diagnosed with Minimal Change Disease (a childhood kidney disorder) and was at about 20% kidney functioning at that time. I was on high IV prednisone while in the hospital for about 5 days, then started on about 90 mg when I went home. When the lasik (water pills) finally kicked in, I lost 52 lbs of water in about 2 1/2 weeks. My dosage of prednisone was slowly redused over the next few months until I was down to 5 mg in May of 2008 when I relapsed and they had to bump it up to 15 mg again. I've also been on many other drugs all of which have given me side affects from mood swings to liver damage, I've gained about 40 lbs being on this drug of satan! I was doing ok again but relapsed again in Dec of 2008. I started to retain water again but the oral prednisone and lasik was not working to stop the protein loss which caused the water retention. The doctors decided to give me 3 days of high dose IV predenisone. It did work and I lost 25 lbs of water in 2 weeks. This is a great thing, but I just hate this drug... it is so nasty. I was just diagnosed with a mild form of Lupas last month as well. I am now slowly being tapered off prednisone as my doctor knows how much I hate it and how my body just does not like the drug. I'm at 12.5 mg per day and will reduce my dosage to 10 mg next week.

I have been reading on this thread that a low carb diet works well for weight loss for people on prednisone but is hard on the kidney's. Is this right? Since I have kidney problems, I really need to know this. Also, since being on 12.5 mgs of prednisone, can I lose weight on this low dosage? I've also read on a Prednisone site that Orlistat (the same drug that's in Myalli) helps with weight loss while on prednisone. Has anyone tried this?

kodama
04-07-2009, 03:08 PM
I'd definitely talk to your doctor or a nutritionist about what diet is best for you if you have kidney disease. I guess it depends on your definition of low carb. In my diabetes classes they stress low carb but it's not like the low carb diets like Atkins. You still have plenty of carbs and they emphasize those that have fiber over those that don't. With your kidneys I'm guessing you are worrying that lower carbs means higher protein? I've heard plant proteins aren't as hard on the kindneys so maybe you could try eating beans and other legumes for your protein.

As for the Orlistat I've not heard anything about that. I'd be a bit concerned though adding more medications since I assume you are taking a bunch already. Especially if you are having liver issues.

I also think at 12 mg you should be able to lose weight. I'm at 24 right now and as long as I work at it I can lose weight.

spidersong
04-09-2009, 03:14 PM
i took predisone for about 9 months (which is an excessively long time for the meds, usually its only prescribed for under a month)
im not sure how much weight i gained, i actually didnt even gain it until i started tapering the first time.

it also depends on why you are being prescribed for it. i have crohn's, and drastically lost weight until i was about 122 and couldnt physically function.. so it helped me get to a healthy weight again but then kept going.

most of the weight gained is water weight because it causes you to retain more i believe..
ive been off of it for about a week, and lost a little bit of weight, mostly around my face/cheeks.

ive heard two different opinions about losing it after stopping the medication..one of which- it will gradually all be lost after you discontinue.
and the other- you wont lose much of it after, but you wont continue to gain drastically, so it will be easier to burn off.

also, i think if youre under 5mg/day it doesnt affect weight very much, if at all.

another few things to keep tabs on while on it (because its a very destructive drug) is your bone density, skin conditions (acne etc) and emotional issues (anger and depression)
they may be off the weight topic, but still very important to know. id recommend taking caltrate (calcium supplement) which i take because i started getting severe bone pain and if not, eventually your bones could possibly become very fragile, brittle and thin.

gardinia- are you sure theyre cramps and not bone and/or joint pain?

greenandchic
04-14-2009, 03:26 AM
New member here and I am sooo glad I found this thread (via Google search). I started prednisone tonight for a potential viral infection that presented dermally so something needed to be done fast.

I never been on the med before and I am scared to death of the side effects, especially…you guess it…weight gain. I also have Multiple Schrosis and will need to watch how the side effects will interact with what I’m already going through.

A couple years ago, I lost about 40, pounds (dress size 14 to a 6) that I gained due to PCOS. My diet is pretty low carb and free of soy, gluten, refined sugar, most other grains, and several other things I cant have.
Thankfully, I will be on this for 24 days: four days at 60mg, four days at 50, four days at 40 and so on until I’m done.

I know I will need to tighten up my belt when it comes to diet for the next month (carbs, sodium, sugar, etc). Its nice to see other women here in the same boat but wish we didnt have to go through this at all!

Jonny S
04-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi everyone! I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this site. I googled "Prednisone" and "sugar" and "salt" and this was one of the links. It is truly a godsend! No one told me to restrict salt or sugar, although in all fairness, I have a scheduled appointment with my wonderful nutritionist (she's an orthomolecular nutritionist and registered homeopath who literally saved my life many years ago). She will be coordinating with my neurologist to devise a personalized diet and supplements plan for me.

I have an auto immune disease (well, two that are related): arteritis temporalis and polymyalgia rheumatica and have been on a daily dose of 60 mg Prednisone since March 13, although it feels like it's beeen months. I have an extreme version of the condition with neurological complications. I hope I beat this. They plan to test to see if I've had a small stroke this past week.

I have already put on a lot of weight, especially in my face and neck and am no longer recognizable.

I've read through all the posts here on this subject and want to thank everyone for sharing and especially those who have written great motivitational messages (NEVER GIVE UP!)

I will regularly check back here. I'm having eye surgery on Friday, and occasionally go blind in one eye, so don't know how often I will visit here, but I will when possible. It means a lot to me to be able to know there are others in similar circumstances.

Jonny

lclaice
04-17-2009, 01:02 PM
I have been off and on prednisone for 18 years now. I was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus and prednisone was considered the best/safest choice of treatment at the time. They failed to tell me it is very addictive (can give you a great euphoric sense of strength), it can cause osteoporosis fairly quickly (if you aren't taking extra calcium), and of course the weight gain, moon face and redistribution of body fat.

A few years ago I was able to lose 25 lbs using the south beach diet and walking. I decided to go back to school and the weight slowly crept back up. I'm trying again, and it is so hard! I am on just 4 mg a day and I am still struggling with my weight. The longer you've been on the drug the harder it is to lose, so if you have a chance to reduce your dosage, do!

I also have interstitial cystitis - chronic bladder irritation. I am not suppose to eat anything high in potassium like bananas, cantaloupe, prunes. Now I see that those things would help me with my weight loss. So I try to balance these things out.

Good luck to us all, may they find a cure for our ailments that doesn't include prednisone.

Jonny S
04-20-2009, 03:25 AM
I have had the week from ****! I was told the laser surgery was a success, and yes, the vision has shown some improvement, but it is not clear yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My neurologist had decided last Thursday to start reducing the dosage of Prednisone, but the eye surgeon strongly disagreed and said I could go permanently blind in both eyes, so I'm still on 60 mg per day.

After the surgery, they kept me in the hospital for 10 1/2 hours, running tests, examining me, etc. A lot of time was spent just waiting in a room (thankfully, a good friend was with me), just waiting for the doctors to return.

Besides being physically exhausting, it was emotionally draining. I am spiritually a very strong person. They keep telling me I could die at any moment, but they tell me and then say -- and there is no way we can prevent it -- so why the *** do they tell me this? Dutch bedside manner is an oxymoron! Anyway, they told me they can't figure out why I have certain complications and are now thinking I may have a brain problem -- like a tumor or swelling or something else. This was such a shock to hear that I just burst into tears and was overcome with anxiety.

See, I'm not at all afraid to die. I don't want to -- I'm not ready to go! But what I am afraid of, is becoming helpless -- losing the ability to think or communicate or have control of my body.

I remain in good spirits and I figure all I can do is try to get the best out of every day and continue to set achievable goals and make plans -- anything that will improve and enrich my quality of life.

So now I am planning to have my whole garden redesigned so that if/when I become less light-sensitive and the weather warms up a bit more, I will have a garden paradise where I can lie outside this summer. I moved into this house three years ago, and the garden, while very nice, is not to my taste. It's overcrowded and stocked with plants that are not to my liking and is formal, etc. The large garden "shed" looks like a little Swiss chalet and has water, electricity and light. My plan has been to eventually use it as my art studio, but that is really future dreaming. In the meantime, it just doesn't fit with my style. My garden designer is going to work it into the overall look I want and cover it with climbling roses and other plants, so it blends in. My garden idea is to have a magical storybook garden -- English cottage style, with lots of sensory details -- many roses, a bright array of flowers and many scents. It will also be wildlife-friendly, with hedgehog shelters, bird houses, and plants that encourage butterflies, bees, birds, frogs, toads, etc. I will have a water feature put in and add some salamanders (I'm part American Indian and salamanders are my spirit animal) and tiny fish. I am so looking forward to this! I think it will be a healing place!

I am also planning to order some flatscreen aquaria -- sort of kitsch, I know-- but a standard aquarium would be too much maintanence and my four cats would wreak havoc. The flatscreens hold real fish (they need to be small and not crowded) and require only 15 minutes of maintanence per month.

I plan to order them today. They are also good Feng Shui.

Oh, and now the doctors are saying I may have had multiple TIAs, of a difficult kind. I have only been able to find one kind of TIA when I google. Anyone know anything? They are planning to arrange yet more tests and scans to determine brain function and also decide whether to start me on blood thinners.

SHEESH! I continue to morph and now look like a cross between John Goodman, Peter Laurie and maybe Eddie Murphy where they made him fatter and older. I have always been a very attractive woman -- letting vanity go has been a real challenge -- I'm ready for Halloween and would win any Halloween contest!

Have a good day, everyone. Iclaise, I hope you lose some weight again. You are obviously a very tenacious person. I'm so impressed about your previous accomplishments with the diet, walking and going back to school. Don't despair!

Jonny

Nepenthe
04-20-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm amazed that so many others have had troubles with Prednisone! I had to start taking it around the age of ten, and though I was always chubby before then, I ended up at a maximum of 150 pounds. I got so depressed about the weight gain that I started pretending to take the medication and secretly throwing it out - of course, my parents found out eventually and switched me to something different. Some of weight came off, but I stayed overweight at 120 pounds until I grew into it in high school.

LelekaSam
04-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Hey, i just registered at this side:)
I'm on prednisone right now, because i have RA and a medication i was taking for it gave me a really bad side effect on my kidney. first i took 3 grams in 3 days, then i was taking 30 mg, and now i'm on 20...its all been going on for about 2 month now...and it is a horrible medication...although i've only gained about 8 pounds it has somehow rearanged the fat in my body, so im really depressed about it:(Although i exersice daily and try not to overeat... also i got the moon face and acne:( but now that i know other people lost that weight i can too:):):)

EarthWhispers
04-27-2009, 11:32 AM
I am so glad to have stumbled across this thread! I thought I'd dive right into the conversation with my story and then go back and read (and respond) to previous posts. There's a LOT!

I had battled weight off and on as a teen and later during my dad's cancer battle. About five years ago I finally had reached my goal weight and was sitting at 113 pounds. It had taken a minimum of two hours of working out 5 days a week and dropping to a 1200 calorie diet... all at the suggestion and under the guidance of my doctor. To this day, I don't think I could eat over 1200 calories in a day.

Then, I was burned pretty badly while at work. The chemicals got into my gear while cleaning machinery. I was working away without realizing what was going on under my gloves. The chemicals had actually numbed my skin. Even when I pulled my gloves off at the end of the day and realized sections of my skin had dissolved from my hands and arms, I still felt no pain. It was about two days before the pain hit... and it hit hard!

During this time, with bandages covering both hands and arms, I could no longer work out. The heat of my own body temp rising was just too much to handle. Going from two hours a day to none definitely contributed to the first part of my weight gain. In the two months after I was injured, I gained 25 pounds.

The next challenge came as the skin began to heal. It itched horribly! Some times it got so bad that I would just hold a towel in my hands and squeeze it to keep myself from scratching. The skin just wasn't healing properly, so the doctor put me on Prednisone. I was on it for almost a year. In the first six months on it, despite maintaining my 1200 calorie diet and beginning to work out again, I gained over a hundred pounds. It was a devastating blow!

Through the legal battle over workman's comp following, I lost my job and my insurance with it. This battle has been all on my own. Five years later and I have only managed to take off less than fifteen of those pounds. My hands are better, but not 100%. Luckily I didn't scar... on the outside. I'm sure many of you understand what it does to you on the inside. There is some comfort in finding I'm not the only one.

Wow... that was long-winded! I guess I needed to get that story off my chest. :^:

erbegu
05-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi! I just found this forum. I've been taking prednisone for about 2 months for interstitial nephritis (from Sjogren's Syndrome). I started at 60mg per day, but since starting CellCept 3 weeks ago I am down to 40mg. I've definitely gotten the moonface and I've gained about 10 pounds since starting the prednisone, it's definitely all in my torso. I noticed a significant increase in appetite, but I think (hope) I'm getting better at controlling it. I'm good until I get home from work around 6pm and I just can't stop myself! It helps to have fewer snack foods in the house, but it's like I just can't wait until dinner.

I just hope that the CellCept starts working, gets my kidney function back up, and lets me start weaning of the prednisone more!

Puff Ball
05-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Wow, this site looks brilliant, only found it today.

I only started on Prednisolone 10mg and Sporanox 100mg one week ago.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergillosis, a disease cause by Aspergillus fumigatus, which is basically a mould, that is in the air all the time. :?:

At the moment I am not sure if it is the drugs making me feel so bad, or the actual illness.

For me, the worst part is not knowing much about Prednisolone, so today I ordered "Coping with Prednisone: And Other Cortisone-Related Medicines" It was only £5.44 plus £2.50 P&P from Amazon.

Well, got to go, to check the rest of this site out.

Puff Ball

aklint
06-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Hello all - I am also new to this...but I am struggling and need advice. I am on 25mg pred (for RA and interstitual lung disease due to RA) a day and gained approx 30lbs. Any suggestions or advise as to what type of diet I need to go on. I realize I need to cut calories, add exercise (to the best of my ability) cut out sugar and salt....but what I need is a diet that I can follow... any suggestions and/or recommendations.
Thank you in advance

seg9
06-25-2009, 10:08 AM
I was diagnosed in 05 with Autoimmune Hepatitis (AIH) and Primary Billiary Cirrhosis (PBC). I was put on Prednisone (30mg daily) in Nov 08. I had just lost my 30 lbs of pregnancy weight after having my son in Aug. I am 41 yrs old. Over the past 7 mths I have been weaned down to 15 mg daily but I have gained 20 lbs. I'm depressed, angry, and sad everyday due to this weight gain. I have been going to the gym 5-6 days a week since Dec with no results, not even 1 lb of weight loss. I know I should just be grateful that this medicine is saving my life....but it's tough when you have no energy and nothing fits! :( I've seen everyone talking about low-carb diets, does this really help??? I think my age is a factor as well. Anyone else out there over 40??

granwing
07-02-2009, 11:40 PM
I just found this forum after doing a search on prednisone and weight gain.
I have been on prednisone on and off for a couple of years, but during much of this time I was losing weight due to my condition (Lupus and Sjogren's Syndrome coupled with severe gastro problems). After losing 60 pounds, I finally levelled off. Being sick is no fun, but since I started out over 200 pounds, the weight loss was really a blessing in disguise. However, due to a flare up, I have again been on a round of prednisone and just realized that I have GAINED 10 pounds since seeing the doctor two weeks ago.
I am quite concerned that the prednisone may now be having the same effect on me that I have seen it have on others, and reading about successes with weight loss while on the drug has made me feel better. I am beginning a low carb, low fat diet tomorrow. And yep, I am WELL over 40.

borntobefine
07-09-2009, 12:42 AM
I have Lupus and RA and gained over 80 pounds on Prednisone. Tried on and off to lose it but no luck even after I reduced to a super low carb and eventually just undereating. I decided to try to not need the Prednisone and after working hard with meditation and some low level yoga I was finally off prednisone. I finally started to lose some weight and after a 10 pound loss I was put back on 10mg of Prednisone for a sinus problem. I gained 8 pounds in less than 1 week. Fast forward one month and I am now back on a daily dose of Prednisone for the Lupus - this time 40-80mg depending on how bad the flare up is.
I just feel so frustrated and ticked off.

erbegu
07-10-2009, 03:41 PM
I've been on prednisone for a little over 3 months now and I've gained about 25 pounds. I really just started noticing the weight the past few weeks. My pants are definitely a little snug and it's starting to get uncomfortable. I started out at 60mg per day in late March, and today my rheumatologist gave me to green light to taper down from 25mg to 20mg. I'm hoping that my lab results continue to be good so I can keep tapering every few weeks. I've been trying really hard to control my hunger, but sometimes I just let go and eat whatever I can. It's like I need to always be chewing or something! It doesn't help that some of my meds have to be taken with food, and others don't, so I find myself having to snack when I normally wouldn't so I can take the meds and not upset my stomach. Now that I have more free time in the evenings (summer class is done) I'm going to try exercising more after work. I just feel so huge right now, and it makes me really upset at times. I don't even recognize my face in the mirror sometimes because it has gotten so round. I guess I just need to keep telling myself that I won't be on this drug forever, and eventually I'll get back to normal.

I've been on Cellcept now for a little over 2 months at it looks like my current dosage of 500mg twice a day is working well. My kidney function actually improved from 41% over the past several weeks to 44%, which I didn't expect. I can't wait to see what my nephrologist says when I see him next week, he thought 41% was as good as I was going to get!

eocb
07-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Having been on Pred since November 2008 due to uncontrolled hives - I have just been able to wean to stop- last week no less. I gain about 40 lbs; mostly on my face and abs. To make it all worse, I started a sequence of IVF in May (those shots didn't help my weight or bloating). Now I am 2 1/2 months pregnant and even though my doctors weren't worried about the low 5mg dose of pred I was on - I was not ok with the potential risks to my pregnancy. I have heard their is an increase in my body naturally producing steroids which might acount for the not needing pred to control my hives.

Honestly, I was not particularly attentive to self care when I was on pred - now that I am pregnant I am MUCH more attentive to my caloric intake. I have always worked out - but I am more focused now. But I am starting my pregnancy heavier than I would want - which is risky. Anyone had any similar experiences? Has anyone been on pred through their pregnancy? Has anyone experienced weight loss or body changes following discontinuing pred? I am just wondering what to expect?

It is nice to find a place where real people chat about their pred experiences!
Thanks

marathon8
07-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi eocb--
I took prednisone throughout my second pregnancy for RA (about 7.5mg/day). It was the only medication the doctor said was OK during pregnancy. I had a healthy baby boy (who is now almost 12!). After delivery, I had a major flare that was treated with more prednisone so post pregnancy weigh loss was a nightmare for awhile until I found other meds and decreased the prednisone (highest dose was 25 mg/day). Good luck!

NCGAL
07-29-2009, 09:40 PM
I have also experienced weight gain on Prednisone! I had the moon-face and the weight has been difficult to get off.....but, YOU can do it!

Duchesssammi
08-04-2009, 02:43 AM
My husband was put on Pred for something and he gained like 10 pounds almost instantly!!!! So needless to say he stopped using it. I wanna say it took him about 2 months to lose the weight.

Tensey
08-07-2009, 08:51 PM
I am 81 years of age and have been on Pred. since Feb.'09. Will be on it for a year. I am only 5 feet tall and have always been able to control my weight but I have gained about 10 - 12 lbs. Have the moon face, humps on my shoulders, big stomach, tremendous appetite. I started out at 40 mg. but have been reduced down to 5mg. now. I was diagnosed with Vasculitis which is inflammation of the arteries. The med is working but I am afraid I won't be able to get the weight off when I have finished taking the Pred.
I have started exercising (treadmill) and trying to watch the carb intake. I guess until I am completely off the drug, I won't be able to lose much. I felt so bad when I was first diagnosed I didn't feel like exercising so I just ATE and ATE and ATE and cried a lot. But, the appetite is stabilized somewhat and I feel better but I still have mood swings. Anyone relate to this?

hopeandfaith
08-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Anyone out there with temporal arteritis, which is inflammation of the arteries in your head. Been on prednisone for over a year with varying dosages. Prednisone is the only drug for TA. All the usual symptoms of prednisone usage....moon face, stomach resembling a pregnant lady at 7 or 8 months along....not pretty. My dosage has been lowered slowly and I am now on 7.5 mg. a day. Still no change in weight, swollen looking stomach and moon face. I am hopeful that I can get down to 5 mg. soon. How long does it take to see reversal of prednisone symptoms? Does the stomach fat ever go away? Also, has anyone had bowel incontinence issues while on prednisone or metformin.....yukky subject, I know. Thanks for reading.

carolr3639
08-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I was on it for 4 yr. and have finally lost the 40lb I gained. The moon face goes away when you get down to 5mg. I still have a tummy but then I have 10 kids, too. If you search the word prednisone, you'll find other info here. Lily, who is on the maintainers thread, has taken it longer than I and lost almost 100lb on a reduced carb diet. It's a bear for sure.

hopeandfaith
08-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Carol: Thanks for encouragement. Just knowing that the weight will come off is a big plus. The stomach poundage may be the first place to lose, if the carbs are kept low. I realize that I have got to control my eating....prednisone can surely cause you be stay hungry. I had to comment on your script at the end of your posting. I too am listening for the shout....I wonder how many of us think "Come Lord Jesus" every day. It is a blessing just to see your scripture with your posting. Shows me you know what's important.

tippers
08-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Thank you thank you to everyone who posted in here. I've read everything and then searched all over the net for answers. I've been on prednisone (and methotrexate and various biologics like kineret) for four years for Adult Onset Stills Disease and have gained 130 pounds while swimming laps for an hour 5+ times/week and constantly dieting.

I wish someone had said to me four years ago, "get on a low carb/low fat/low salt diet and stick to it." That's what I'm doing now and the weight is slowly starting to come off. At the rate I'm going (averaging 2 lbs./week), I'm in for a long journey, but at least the scale is moving down and I feel some sense of hope.

Someone asked about the biochemistry in involved here, and from what I understand, prednisone acts like cortisol in your body which can trigger a glucocorticoid effect during which the body produces glucose from proteins, then uses the excess glucose for lipogenisis (fat production). In other words, your cells think you're in crisis mode and not only don't burn blood sugar but create more of it and store it up as fat. Long-term prednisone users can wind up with a drug-induced version of Cushings Disease.

From everything I've read, the only "treatment" is to get off of prednisone or taper to as low a dose as possible. For those of us who are stuck with it long term, eating low carb forces the body into using protein rather than glucose for energy, thus circumventing the body's efforts to store glucose as fat.

I THINK that's about the right explanation for what's happening biochemically. I think phase one South Beach recipes would be good for pred users, or any foods that are very low on the glycemic index and low in fat.

The salt/water retention is another story. Prednisone is also an anti-diuretic.
Tippers in Maine

sacratomato
09-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Ohhhhh my goodness, this drug... I have a love/hate relationship with it.

I've been prescribed prednisone maybe six different times in my life, usually for severe allergic reactions, those short-term burst packs that you take for ten or so days. Never had an issue with it until this week, and my gosh, is it awful.

I came down with swine flu plus pneumonia almost two weeks ago; it was really crazy, went right to my lungs. The PA prescribed a cocktail of meds to combat both: antiviral, antibiotic, 50 mg of prednisone daily for five days. I felt better almost immediately but was VERY restless within one day (and really needed to just sleep and sleep).

Once I finished the prednisone, I started having a lot of trouble breathing again within a couple of days. It was pretty bad -- I do have asthma, and the flu really messed my breathing up. Went back to urgent care as it was the weekend and was prescribed another burst of prednisone, this time a taper regiment (2 days at 50 mg, 2 at 40, 2 at 30, etc., ten days total).

At the end of day two, my breathing was MUCH improved, but I was whacked. Super tired yet had terrible insomnia, got four hours of sleep that night. The next day I woke up around 6 with a compulsion to clean clean clean. This part is actually rather fun -- I am in a great mood, really must be what it's like to be manic. I am getting a lot done.

However, by the end of the third day, my knees had swollen to 50% larger than normal, my legs were aching, my back hurt, my thighs ached. I swear I could see myself puffing up like a hot air balloon.

Day four, I called my regular doctor; he had no appointments available. Urgent care told me to come in, as my symptoms were troubling. I have NEVER had issues with stuff randomly swelling up.

When they checked me, my blood pressure was elevated (135/88, it's never ever been that high before), my weight was up TEN yes TEN pounds, my heart rate was a little racey, and naturally I was puffing up like a marshmallow in a microwave.

The PA decided to more aggressively step up the prednisone weaning process, so I'm down to 20 mg today and tomorrow, then 10 mg each day for two days, then nothing. Right now I am typing with my snausagey fingers, visibly expanding by the minute, just waiting to hit "post" so I can continue compulsively cleaning the house (current mission: extreme vacuuming of large sectional, and perhaps vacuum my cat if he will let me; again, the hyperactivity IS actually the fun part). Let's not even talk about mood swings (my poor husband, I wailed at him last night, "You're not meeting my neeeeeeeeeeeeds," weeping. We had the "It's not you, it's the Prednisone talking discussion, but still, the mood swings have been really hard on both of us, not to mention the brooding and obsessing. At least my spice drawer is thoroughly clean.).

I'm still not fully recovered from the flu and really hoping that the prednisone side effects will be short-lived and easily reversed. While it made it so I could breathe and so I didn't have to go into a hospital for the flu pneumonia, I plan to never, ever, ever go on this medication again if I can help it.

Good luck to any and all on this med and working to get off it; I've only been on it for just under two weeks give or take a few and I've never EVER had so many severe and alarming side effects from a medication. It's serious stuff.

Twilightwing
09-09-2009, 05:56 PM
my mother and sister both take predisone daily for Copd and have for years.. my mother has predisone skin(tears like crazy), had steroidal cataracts, and now has steroidal diabetes.. my sister has the moon face really bad, the large stomach, had steroidal cataracts, and just started metformin for the steroidal diabetes.. its sad that a medicine that works so well for some ailments seems to cause so many more.. it becomes a which is worse scenerio for so many people.. my heart goes out to anyone that has to deal with this medicine on a daily basis:hug:

bhodson
09-28-2009, 01:56 AM
Hi all! I have been on the wonder(?) drug prednisone for 35 years. I have been on either prednisone or Hydrocort (another form of steriods) Plus I am on Fludocort also. I had my adrenal glands removed 35 years ago because of high blood pressure! I currently was diagnosed with Dermatomyisitis and have been on 60mg. of prednisone. I too have the moon face and the hump on my back and a huge ugly abdomen! I hate it. I'm hoping to get back down to my regular 20mg of Hydrocort before long. Anyone else taking prednisone for Dermatomyisitis?

chaumeow
10-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Hi everyone!
My name is Chau and I just started TODAY with prednisone 50mg. I'm 21 years old and I'm so scared of gaining weight all of the sudden. I recently lost 20 pounds, and it makes me so nervous to gain it back again. I'm really happy I found a forum where other women have gone through this too.

I really enjoy reading your posts on this forum. I'll be sure to get a copy of "Low Carb Life" by Jonny Bowdem too and start to eat much better!

Thank you :) Looking fwd to reading more of your posts and advice!

amy180
11-03-2009, 09:33 PM
argh, it is the devil. I got on more of it when I was put in the hospital for severe allergic reactions, then more due to asthma, and I have the moonface and the hump and the belly hanging over my pants all over again. I did lose weight on it a while back, but now I'm back in a terrible situation with weight gain and all these side effects. I've started walking more and eating healthier, but I still have a long way to go and prednisone makes it so difficult. With my allergy and skin problems I don't know how long it might be until I can totally get off the stuff though, so I need to make more of an effort. I really, really hate it sometimes though.

jj123
12-07-2009, 12:06 AM
I have been on prednisone now for 5yrs due to C.O.P.D- lung disease consisting of bronchitis, emphysema so I am unable to do much excersizes w/o losing my breath-I'm new to this site but maybe I can help in one way. Walking is great!! Even for short periods(I go by mins not miles). I am on 25mg/day and hope to lower that after some weight loss. Good luck to you!:)

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-02-2010, 12:33 PM
BUMP ...

LUCY -- here's that PREDNISONE thread that I was telling you about ... :D

DramaQueenLucy
02-02-2010, 03:14 PM
BUMP ...

LUCY -- here's that PREDNISONE thread that I was telling you about ... :D

erbegu
03-24-2010, 03:34 PM
I have FINALLY started to lose weight while on prednisone! I wasn't sure if I would see results because I am still on 20mg per day. But I've been hitting the gym and monitoring my calories, and so far it is working. I just wanted to share that it IS possible, though hard at times. I'm going to stick with it, and hopefully I'll eventually get off this evil drug!

moniiqueone
03-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Hello, glad to have found this forum as well, cuz losing weight has never been so hard but now since realizing the prednisone (after being on 10mg daily for 4years) is what is mainly to blame for the "lock" on my fat cells. I have RA, but my first rheumatologist misdiagnosed my knee pain. A new doctor diagnosed me having osteoarthritis in my knees and got me some synvisc-1 shots about 4 months ago. I felt renewed again! He mentioned that even losing 10lbs would make a great difference in my mobility. I started tapering down off of the prednisone in the last month and have lost about 6 lbs already. I am here to share a website that you may really like cuz I do and use it every day. The website is livestrong.com and once there, choose plate, my daily plate. It is free to monitor your caloric intake along with sodium, sugars, carbs, fat, protein, and calories once you designate your ideal weight. Check it out and you too can finally realize what is in the foods you are eating. Have a great day!

preddiegirl
03-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Carol: Thanks for encouragement. Just knowing that the weight will come off is a big plus. The stomach poundage may be the first place to lose, if the carbs are kept low. I realize that I have got to control my eating....prednisone can surely cause you be stay hungry. I had to comment on your script at the end of your posting. I too am listening for the shout....I wonder how many of us think "Come Lord Jesus" every day. It is a blessing just to see your scripture with your posting. Shows me you know what's important.

dear hopeandfaith, i have recently been diagnosed with temporal arteritis and have been on 40 mg daily for 3 weeks, and now down to 30mg daily. i will be on pred for at least 4 more weeks, i think it will turn out much longer. how long before you had no headaches and felt normal? or were headaches a bad problem for ya? i have suffered for 8 months before finding a dr that could diagnose me. i have only gained a few pounds while on pred but i have the moon face already, but i gained quite a lot over the past few months, because of the pain and the inability to even get off of the couch because of the pain. do you feel better since being on the steroid? thank you for your info.....

giantpreds
05-05-2010, 09:02 PM
I just found this site. I also have giant cell arteritis (i.e.,temporal arteritis). So glad to read your message. I don't feel so alone. I have the moon face and have gained 20 lbs. I guess I'm lucky 'cus I've been on a sugar binge for 5 months. I begin a diet each morning. Never finish with the same goal. I will look into the low carb diet mentioned in some of the posts. Wish I could help you, but am just looking for answers. giantpreds (Lorraine)

giantpreds
05-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Other than responding to Annie1977 today, I haven't written in this blog.(or any other blog, so my experience is limited). Here goes ...

Was diagnosed with giant cell arteritis last December and have been on Prednesone since then. Began with 60 mg per day and now am down to 17-1/2 per day. I've gained 20 pounds as of today, but I look pregnant and since I'm 73 years old, it's not a good look for me.

My concern is at 73, losing this weight will be more difficult than if I was younger. I guess I'm lucky I didn't get the facial hair (fingers crossed), but I have about everything else listed under possible reactions to Prednesone.

I guess I can only blame myself. Shortly after I began Prednesone, I've had this compulsion to eat anything with sugar ... and a lot! The sugar of choice began with, of course, chocolate. Then I realized I needed to stop, so I replaced chocolate with cookies (which I'm not usually crazy about). Same problem. Got rid of cookies since I was going through a complete package of cookies at one sitting. Got rid of the cookies. However, I find I MUST have something, so go through my cupboards until I find something.

I have to do something about controlling that! Doc says when I get down to 10 mg, I will have more control and will lose weight. Any help out there? I can't go on this way. Never was a big eater and I was usually full with just a bit of food. However, I've always LOVED chocolate.

Thanks for reading through this. I feel much better now. (NOT) :carrot::joker:

HopehadAri
07-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Hi I am new to this and I am thirteen years old, have been on prednisone since january 2010. I think I started at about 80mg a day and am now on 15mg a day. This thursday my E.N.T. may lower me to 10mg! I heard that this is the so called "magic number" for losing the moon face and some of the weight you gain from prednisone. Can anyone tell me if this is true or if it has happened to you? Thanks it would be greatly appreciated!:hug:

RaeT
07-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Hi,

I have been on prednisone 30 mg for 3 weeks now for an autoimmune disease. I'm 21, around 120lbs and have a question about the weight gain. I've experienced insomnia, mood swings, depression and irritability, very easily bruising, increased urination, and some bowel symptoms, etc.
Aside from maybe some swelling I haven't gained more than a couple pounds on days I pig out. I'm used to running up 6 flights of stairs daily for classes and now I feel so weak I can't do one. Aside from crunches I've been doing every night, exercise is pretty much out of the question. I'm only consuming around 1000 calories daily (I only really have time for 2 meal bars and a real meal each day because of classes and working).

Some people reported gaining upwards of 90lbs on prednisone. Since I will probably be on it for a while, I was wondering how long it took for those of you who had significant weight gain to start gaining the weight.

thin within
09-20-2010, 09:18 PM
So happy to have found this! Since being put on pred 2 months ago, I have been looking for info. I was diagnosed with Crohns and first did a pred taper from 60 mg to 10 mg. The symptoms returned, so now I'm back on it at 60 mg, and will begin a longer taper lasting about 3 months. I already had a weight issue I was working on. Because of the Crohns, I have had very little energy and just not felt well the past year or so, so have not been able to exercise regularly.

Now I have the wonderful moon face, double/triple chin, huge belly. I'm a single mom of 3, been divorced 4 years. I finally started seeing a wonderful man 7 months ago, and I feel awful that he has to go through this with me. I also have trouble sleeping, still no energy, and my moods are ****. I am either angry or crying. I hate this med. But I also don't want to end up without a colon, so I have to deal with it for now.

I read this whole thread, and it looks like the best thing for me to do is go low carb, low sodium and bump up the water. Also trying to push myself to work out. Hopefully that will help with the cravings and the appetite. Would love to hear from more people who have been successful losing weight on pred, or after stopping it.

Thanks to everyone for sharing!

goal4agirl
10-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Hi everyone~ my heart goes out to the sweet people in this thread. Your stories sound so much like mine. I also have been on prednisone on and off for years and years because of Crohns disease. The last time I was on it was June-August of this year. I had started my weight loss when a flare started. I thought I could get by on another drug but my doctor wanted me to begin prednisone. I have already had several surgeries and I really wanted to avoid another one so I started on the dread pred. At the time I has lost 20 lbs. and I really did not want to gain it back. I had worked so hard. My doc put me on 40 mgs. daily. My doc told me in the beginning I only needed to take it for 2 weeks. So I thought no problem. But I didn't take into account the drop down doses would take a while. And in mid-drop schedule a bad flare made me have to increase again. So basically I was on it all summer.
I did a lot of research on pred. and decided instead of eating 3 meals a day, I would eat 6-7 tiny ones. All the advice also tells to watch your sodium intake. When hunger would drive me crazy I would cut open a water melon and dig out two cups of it and eat that slowly. I told myself a thousand times a day...:stress: the hunger is all in your head- it's all in your head.
Through it all I stayed on 1200-1500 calories a day. And I exercised 3-4 day's a week and I did lose weight. I'm not going to say it was easy. I went to bed at night feeling hungry.:dz: But I wanted the weight loss so bad. I did discover it is possible to take pred. and lose weight.
I have a long road in front of me to reach my weight goal ~ I'm glad I found 3FC. I hope good health to all!!

carolr3639
10-07-2010, 10:01 PM
The hunger is not in your head.

dzelle
10-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new and I'm glad that I found this site. I had been diagnosis with Cardiac Sarcoidosis in Dec 2009 and have been on prednisone since July of this year. The doctor started me on 80 mg for a month then tappered me down to 20. Once I got to 20 is when I started to gain weight and got the moon face.
For the ones that have been on this drug for years what are your tips on living with this drug and it's evil side effects?

lupusgirl101
01-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Hey everyone, Im a 13 year old girl and I have lupus of the brain! Im on prednisone to help reduce inflammation! Currently on 40mg, tapering down 10mg every four weeks or so!!!! I was at 60mg, but in the summer i was at 30mg and thin!!!
With proper diet and excersise, will I be thin again????
THANKS! :)

shanara
01-09-2011, 11:58 PM
I gained mostly all of my weight from prednisone (asthma). I'm glad there is a post for this.. :-) And YES you can gain lots of weight for a brief course of prednisone. I gain about 10lbs for a 5 day taper.. I was also on for 18 days and gained 30 lbs, and then again 2 months later for 7 days and gained 15lbs.. That was a taper from only 60mg. I have never taken anything over 60mg and I can attribute about 60lbs to prednisone. It's awful.

lupusgirl101
03-22-2011, 12:41 PM
:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
im not the only one suffering from pred! :D
if anyone has advice or stories that they could share with me to help me go on, it would be appreciated!
ive been on pred sine last june, now on 25mg, and ive got about 60 pounds to lose!
anyone know how long it will take to lose that weight with diet and excersise?????? :?:

Giftedone
04-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Ok so how odd is this. 3 years ago I was in a band & my vocal chords were always swollen-Florida allergies. My doc gave me low dose prednisone. I would take 20mg 8 hrs before singing & sing perfectly. I felt amazing. Tons of energy, lost weight to a size 5. High happy mood. I quit the band and stopped taking the prednisone. For the past 3 years I've felt awful. Gained 30 pounds, fatigue, bloating, intestinal crap, sweating, depression, headaches, joint pain, foggy head.

For the last 4-6 mo I've been sick over & over. No insurance. About 4 weeks ago I got bronchitis & took a zpack. Felt ok after. Three days ago I came down with strep. Finally bit the bullet & saw a doc. He gave me Cipro & a prednisone dose pack.

I woke up this morning & most of yesterday feeling INCREDIBLE! I've dropped 4 pounds & have more energy than I know what to do with.

WHY????

MeganLThorpe
05-19-2011, 06:50 AM
HI,

I am 20 and have been on Pred. since I was two months old. I have been on a dose of 2.5mg up to 30mg. Currently on 10mg daily. I have a condition called Diamond Blackfan Anaemia. I will never come off this medication.

I find with the medication that if I eat a normal diet my weight just goes up and up there is no stopping it. So i decided to do something about it.

I am now on a calorie controlled diet eating 1200 calories a day and doing a workout video (which is very high intensity) for 1 hour and 20 minutes a day. I started in Feb and have lost about 1 stone 8 pounds which is ok but im getting frustrated at only loosing about a pound a week but very glad that I am actually loosing weight.

I am gonna start cutting out salt and sugar too slowly (after reading all these posts). I already drink plenty of water as it is but am gonna start drinking peppermint tea.

I have found two of the worst things for weight gain for me is milk and coke. Eating out also makes me gain alot of weight.

I hope this helps people.

kaplods
05-19-2011, 12:20 PM
It's easy to say "it's just hunger, ignore it," but prednisone hunger isn't normal hunger, it's what I like to call "rabid hunger."

On prednisone, you tell yourself all day "it's just hunger, ignore it," but you can't igore it because it's always there, sometimes even after you've eaten to bursting. So instead of ignoring it, or destracting yourself, you're left with resistance - white knuckled resistance.

I'm not saying resistance is impossible against prednisone hunger, just that it's not as simple as when dealing with normal hunger. You've got to be prepared for bloody battle, not the normal, little argument that is normal hunger.

Willpower alone usually doesn't cut it. Planning and strategy does. That may mean keeping a humongous stash of low and no calorie "foods" to munch on all day, or keeping all trouble foods out of the house, or going very low carb (because low-carb diets tend to suppress hunger, hopefully cancelling out some of prednisone-induced hunger).

Sometimes even weight maintenance is a monumental task on prednisone.

Michelle1965
06-29-2011, 07:30 PM
I have been on prednisone since November 2010 for sarcoidosis. It was a very high dosage, and now I am down to half that dose. My doctor is trying to wean me off it, but it is a slow process and we are concerned about a re-emergence of the sarcoidosis. In the beginning of May 2011 I joined Weight Watchers ... and had very slow progress. But at one point about 4 weeks ago, I lost 5 lbs in one week. I was thrilled, until 2 days later I started swelling again and gained back 6 lbs. A co-worker suggested I try Green Tea Extract (capsule form from the pharmacy). I take 400 mg in the morning and 400 mg at lunch. Within 4 days I lost all the weight (it was all water) and have continued my weight loss. I have lost, since May a total of 13 lbs! Prednisone sucks, but it is possible to loose weight. Hope this helps someone else!

SharrElise
07-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Good Morning,

I have been on prednisone for 6.5 weeks now for an autoimmune problem. I have gained 33 pounds (and counting...). I have been watching what I eat at least - seriously - 95% + of the time. I am so thirsty...I'm drinking about 2+ gallons of water (just water) a day. On a "typical" day, I drink a lot of water, but this is more than usual.

My Doctor says that it is typical for people on prednisone for a long time to gain weight, but I am really concerned. I weighed 308 in March 2010 and was down to 194 in May 2011. I am at wits end here. I (hopefully) only have 6 days of prednisone left. What can I do to get this weight off as fast as it has come on?

Our local Brikram Yoga has a 30 days for $30. Would that help? (I'm can't afford to pay to join long term). I am not an experienced Yoga person. I generally work out at home and take long hikes in the very hilly woods near our home.

I am really reaching out for help here and appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

Thank you!

mellowstar1
07-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Good Morning,

I have been on prednisone for 6.5 weeks now for an autoimmune problem. I have gained 33 pounds (and counting...). I have been watching what I eat at least - seriously - 95% + of the time. I am so thirsty...I'm drinking about 2+ gallons of water (just water) a day. On a "typical" day, I drink a lot of water, but this is more than usual.

My Doctor says that it is typical for people on prednisone for a long time to gain weight, but I am really concerned. I weighed 308 in March 2010 and was down to 194 in May 2011. I am at wits end here. I (hopefully) only have 6 days of prednisone left. What can I do to get this weight off as fast as it has come on?

Our local Brikram Yoga has a 30 days for $30. Would that help? (I'm can't afford to pay to join long term). I am not an experienced Yoga person. I generally work out at home and take long hikes in the very hilly woods near our home.

I am really reaching out for help here and appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

Thank you!

Hi SharrElise!

I in a similar situation to you... except I've been on prednisolone for over 8 months also to treat an autoimmune condition

I've put on about 1 stone in weight during this time and I'm trying to stick to a calorie contolled diet now.. starting off slowly but looking to stick with it long term as I needed to lose weight before starting the pred.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! thats fantastic. I am hoping that being strict with my calories and doing some daily aerobics and weight training at home will help me lose weight. I'm having a difficult time sticking to any routine so I hope I keep up the will power this time around. I think the weight is meant to come off easily once you're off the meds but apparently its hard for some to lose weight whilst taking pred

I think yoga is a good idea. The only advice that I have received about being on pred and weight loss is to ensure you take regular exercise. I'm finding the cravings really vary with me and I'm always thirsty and can drink up to 4 litres on dome days!

Mellowstar1

Fayve
07-15-2011, 11:43 PM
Wow, it's so comforting to read about all of these stories. Sooo relateable.

I was diagnosed with chronic ulcurative colitis a little over a year ago, and I've been put on 45mg dosages of prednisone 5 times now, weaning off 5 mg every 1 or 2 weeks. I've been fighting to lose weight every step of the way. I've managed to lose a total of about 4 or 5 pounds in about the same amount of months, but some of that weight is from what I put on originally. It's so frusturating, and the doctors have always told me "don't worry, it'll go away once you're off the medication", but it never happens quite that way.

I'm down to 10mg, with a little under two weeks left until I plan to be off it for good. I've been told that I will most likely not go on it again in my lifetime since i've had it so much. I hope to god that's true. I've had to deal with all the other symptoms mentioned too with the moonface, mood swings, insomnia, and a big one for me is massive sweating.

This medication has saved me, but caused me a whole lotta heartache. Really look forward to a point in the future where I can NOT have the excuse of "I can't lose weight because of medication". Feeling like I have no control is the most frusturating thing of all.

navojig
09-27-2011, 03:16 AM
well hi im new! so i have this super rare syndrome! only 200 ppl in the world have it! n i was diagnosed n september! i was misdiagnosed with MS! but since they got it right ive been on steroids!:( hate it! cuz i was 125lbs n now im 150lbs!!!!!:mad: n ive gotten sooooooooooooooooooooo many ugly stretch marks becuz of it!!!! i hate them as much as the steroids! i always say im the lucky 1 to get this RARE syndrome!(sarcastically) i go to da gym everyday cept sunday wen its closed! n really have no 1 to vent to about it but my husband:hug:! it makes me depressd most da time! cuz i went frm a size 3-5 to a 8-9!!!! well thanx for takn the time to read this! ne feed back will b greatly appreciated!

navojig
09-27-2011, 03:23 AM
i am on prednisone n went from 125 to 150 in 13 months!

medigal
09-27-2011, 12:39 PM
I started Prednisone today and came here to ask about it, so I was happy to find this thread. I'm only on an 8-day course for asthmatic bronchitis -- albuterol didn't help my wheezing. When I lie down and try to sleep, my lungs sound like crinkling aluminum foil.

I am not sure if such a short course will cause weight gain (I hope not), but now I have some ideas for how to prevent it. I can't do low-carb due to my kidney disease, but I am eating < 1,500 calories per day and exercising. I think I will put off any more weigh-ins until I am off the Prednisone for a few days. I don't want to get discouraged!

nina125
09-28-2011, 04:35 PM
I went from 140 to 162ish within 3 months on prednisone. I didn't have insatiable hunger like others and ate normally, I still gained like crazy. Been off prednisone for about 5 months now and have lost only 4-5lbs so far.

QuilterInVA
09-28-2011, 07:05 PM
I have severe asthma and have been on Prednisone off an on most of my adult life (I'm 69). I know it can cause weight gain so I am vigilant about what I eat while on it. I have still managed to lose over 200 pounds. Being 95% OP does do the job. It takes 100%. It also requires exercise.

Krashkat
10-02-2011, 04:47 AM
Hi I'm new and hope something I say in my post/s can make someone feel better.

The questions everyone is asking are the same ones I was Googling in January 2011. I had a Lupus flare that put me up to 50mg Prednisone a day. With in 6 weeks I had gone from 155 pounds to 195 pounds. I had the hump, the moon face, the swollen belly and hair loss to top it all off :( I started to not recognise myself in the mirror and really struggled with it. I am also 5ft 2 inches...so short does not help the cause :(

I am now down to 10mg a day & trying to taper down to 7.5mg at present and hoping for 5mg per day in the coming months...but we all know it takes time and sometimes we have to stay on it. I have joint pain and fatigue all the symptoms that make it hard to get out of bed. 9 months later I have finally almost lost my moon face and my belly and my hair is growing back.

I just joined the Gym 4 weeks ago and able to do 5 x 30 - 40 minute workouts a week. The first few days it was a struggle but by week 2, I was excited and feeling like I had more energy and my joints hurt less. I have cold/flu at the moment and have had a week off Gym, but when you have immune problems we all know, rest is the best medicine. I have continued my healthy eating I started the week I started gym. Lots of fresh fruit and Veg, salad galore, fish & chicken. Lean red meat (very small portion) twice a week and lots of home made soup and smoothies, and of course water, water, water (yuk)

I have only lost 3 pounds in 4 weeks but thats ok, it's not a gain and it's not a race. It is making me feel better and I will continue on my journey to get back to the old me :) I will possibly have flares and have to go back on high doses of pred, but I know now that low sodium and water is essential. I am thinking wheat has something to do with it also, so brown bread and rice and minimal potato are also in my daily food allowance. Wish me luck, but also know the bloating, water retention, moonface, humpback, whatever you want to call it, does subside, it just takes time. Good health to everyone :)

Sometimes my choice is fat or dead....Is there a 3rd option??

Mizbeck
10-11-2011, 01:03 PM
I too am new to this site and found it by google searching "is it possible to lose weight on prednisone?" I have been on and off the stuff for years and it doesn't look like I'll be hitting the off button on it for some time to come yet. I need support and tips on how to lose weight in spite of having to take the stuff. I have a rare autoimmune disease called Dermatomyositis which pretty much forces me to have this med or deteriorate in health and physical ability very quickly. I recently joined weight watchers and am not sure this particular group of folks understand my struggle because of my health issues. So, I'm trying to be as physically active as I can while watching what I put into my body. I'm looking for results with the points plus plan but need to know if there are foods I should avoid all together since I am on the pred? I love to swim and will be working on actively swimming routine a couple days a week and walking the dog. :carrot: :D

sararay
10-11-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm new to this forum but I was diagnosed with Crohns Disease 14 years ago. For the last 8 years I have managed it pretty well without meds with an anti-inflammatory diet and eliminating some foods that I was allergic to. Recently I had a flare-up and had to go on prednisone again.

Last time I was on it I gained 20 lbs, but then lost the weight pretty easily once I was off of it. This time my goal is to maintain until they get me off of it. I have been on it for 3 months now (started at 30mg now down to 10mg/day) and have been able to maintain my weight despite some strong cravings and hunger pangs.

What I found works for me is to stay low-carb (no more than 2 servings of grains and 1 serving of fruit, but unlimited veggies and protein) and drink a lot of water. Homemade bone broth seems to help with the leg cramps (mineral deficiency?) that some people experience on prednisone.

If I had to be on it for longer I would see what I could do to lose weight, but right now exercise is very hard. When I have a flare-up using my abdominal muscles makes my belly sore for days (because that is where the inflammation is). Walking is all I can do.

Before I had my flare-up I was still trying to lose the last 20 lbs of baby weight from having my daughter. I believe being on prednisone has caused me some insulin resistance. I know it helps short-term but I can't wait to get off of it.

I hope this helps other people.

KatieeJ
11-28-2011, 08:38 PM
I feel your pain. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis when I was 18 (first year of university) and wound up missing 2 months of classes. When I was finally diagnosed, I was on 40mg/day and ended up waiting 35lbs in 3 weeks! I'm 24 now, and have been off prednisone for a full year now. I'm so thankful, because nothing else was working, and long-term prednisone therapy can be very dangerous. In the 5 years (on and off, mostly on) I took prenisone, I went from about 140 to 213 in total. I had pretty much all of the symptoms of Cushing's syndome due to all of the excess cortisol from the corticosteroids, some pretty severe. I take several vitamins still, and had to be prescribed high-dose potassium for wicked leg cramps (prednisone will cause you to hold on to any sodium but excrete potassium, which can cause heart issues). I hit my max weight of 213 and took prednisone for some months after that, but at 5'3" I had to gain a lot to hit my 'plateau'. Most of my fat now is in my stomach (I look like I wear a tire around my tummy), and it's basically a giant stretch mark. What I've noticed is that the weight is and has been insanely slow coming off too. I am wondering if all the cortisol affected my metabolism? The worst part about colitis is that when I have a flare, I need to go on a low-residue diet, which means less than 10g fibre per day, no lactose (in my case) raw fruit, vegetables, whole grains, chocolate, basically all beef, caffeine, popcorn, whole grains, (you get the picture). Hopefully everyone else taking prednisone can continue to eat healthy and exercise, and at least try to keep the weight gain to a minimum. The less you gain, the easier it is to come off (trust me, you don't wanna be where I am).

LindaLeeSnyder
01-22-2012, 10:17 PM
I was on and off high doses of Prednisone for six years for an auto-immune disorder (Evan's Syndrome). The first time I was on 120 mg I gained 40 pounds and was unrecognizable. By the third time I had to go on 120 mg I had my diet organized and I actually lost 5 pounds and looked pretty good (This was an improvement over the second time they told me I had to go on Prednisone and I had debated death vs. the medication.)

Here is exactly what I did: I bought Eugenia Zuckerman's book Coping with Prednisone (this is a MUST have). I purchased The No-Salt Lowest Sodium Cookbook. I purchased the Encyclopedia of Food Values to keep track of my nutrients! I kept my sodium to 500 mg or less a day, I removed sugar from my diet (including most fruits) and I kept a food diary listing everything I ate, the times I ate, how I felt before I ate it and how I felt after so I could make adjustments to my diet so I wasn't starving all the time. I loosely followed the Zone Diet's theory of including a balance of carbohydrate, protein, and fat (40/30/30) at every meal (helped with the hunger). I exercised when I could (it was difficult until my red blood cell count went back up!) and I drank LOTS of water!

It is not easy to maintain your weight (or your positive attitude) while on high doses of prednisone but it can be done. Feeding myself and keeping track of what was working and what wasn't was a full time job but SO WORTH IT!

The last thing I wish I had done was to reach out to someone! Find yourself a health coach, a friend, someone to support you. If you can find someone who has experienced high doses of prednisone even better (Because trying to explain how hungry you are to someone who hasn't taken prednisone is next to impossible)!

BigDaddyMoosh
01-24-2012, 08:16 AM
I am male and was on Prednisone for about 5 days for a sinus infection. I believe it was 10mg, 6 pills the first day, 5 the second day, 4 the third day and so on. I've been off of it for a little over a week. I did not gain weight because I had no appetite with the sinus infection. I pretty much lived on soup. However, I have been eating healthy, a nutrition plan I have used with great success in the past, and I also work out 6 days/wk. For the life of me, I CANNOT lose weight. HOW LONG DO THE EFFECTS OF THIS DRUG LINGER? When will I resume my normal weight loss that is usually associated with my nutrition plan? Like I said, that plan has worked very well for me in the past. I will never take this drug again. Is it going to be like this for another week? Month?

mrsmiller4
01-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Hi my name is Marian and Im so glad i have found this forum. Its comforting to find others that are struggling with weight loss and having to take meds. Im currently taking pplaqunel, Immuran, and infusion drip for Lupus. I have at least 70 more pounds to loose. I started the PINK METHOD and so far have lost 14 #'s and a total of 10.5 inches total. My issue right now is that the workout part of the plan is near impossible. I'm in pain most of the day because of joint damage and decreased lung capacity caused my scarring from my most recent flare up. Anyone out there that can identify? Hope everyone's day is as blessed as mine......cause truth be told, I am blessed!

erinrenae80
01-26-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm a new member so hello! I was on Prednisone for six months after being diagnosed with RA. It was a fairly low dose (10mg) but it was enough to make me gain 40 pounds. I started off trying to keep the weight under control by working out but I gave up because the scale kept going up no matter what I did. I had pretty much every side effect that went along with it. I was a crazy person with anxiety attacks, mood swings, and I could not stop eating. I've been off it since October. I decided after all the holidays that I would try to get things under control. I've been doing the point system (like Weight Watchers) without actually joining the program. I have lost five pounds in two weeks and around another seven before that. I'm hoping the scale keeps moving in the right direction. Exercise is challenging because I am somewhat limited in what I can do. My primary doctor has been very supportive. He assures me that my adrenal glands will start to kick back in to help with the weight loss. He also told me that once the weight does start coming off, there should be some joint improvement. Here's hoping!

Worshipgirl
02-06-2012, 01:48 PM
I cringe as I read how many people suffer from lupus and the ravaging effects of the disease and its "treatment" prednisone. In my little world, I hoped that no one else had to suffer as I have, so I'm sad to see how many of you there are.

I had high dose solu-medrol treatments for 4 days in the hospital and am now on 60mg preddie a day for CNS lupus. It has proven to be toxic to me and they're now desperately trying to get me off, but it takes time. yuk.

I'm losing weight, despite the stupid prednisone. A lot of the advice people in this forum have provided is so true and I'll re-iterate what's worked for me. But to be honest, I have a seriously decreased sense of taste from the drug so cravings are not an issue. Eveything looks lame to me right now.

I asked my doctor to prescribe protonix while I'm on the preddie. It really helps with the heartburn and the acid from the hunger. Some people may even just get relief from prilosec OTC. I also take a stool softener and i got some probiotics from walgreens. You gotta keep the tummy moving every day. Do whatever it takes to keep that crap (literally) out of your body. Im anemic too so taking iron is NOT helping that situation. :-)

First let me list (as some have already) the things to avoid. Salt. It is now your enemy. Prednisone does a lot of messing with the mineral uptake of your body and salt is bad. Avoid it at all costs. Because preddie also messes with your blood sugar, you should really cut out all sugars or they will convert to fat and stick to you. Check the glycemic index of foods, even fresh fruits, and eat only really low GI foods. Watch out for sugar, it has many aliases and it hides covertly in lots of sauces and dressings. Last on the high hit list are the saturated fats. Cut the cheese (tee hee) and go for greek yogurt (without the sugar) and use oilive and flaxseed oils for your dressings and cooking.

Ok, so what CAN you eat? Sounds like all the fun is gone from food? I want to encourage you to explore FRESH herbs. Oh my, they're so much better than the crummy dried spices. Rubbing garlic and rosemary on chicken is so delish! You can buy some fresh herbs in a tube now in the produce section of your supermarket and they make great rubs and spreads. So good.
Fresh chicken, fish, shrimp. Yummy asian flavors of ginger, sesame oil, garlic. Whole grain (limited portions) pastas and brown rice noodles are very satisfying. And fresh veggies or flash cooked with herbs and spices are so very yummy.

I tried just focusing on the things I CAN have and not what I can't. Ive been so sick, I'm just happy to eat anything and I'll DO anything to get better.

My love to all my auto-immune comrades. We will overcome. God be with you.

Worshipgirl
02-06-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm a new member so hello! I was on Prednisone for six months after being diagnosed with RA. It was a fairly low dose (10mg) but it was enough to make me gain 40 pounds. I started off trying to keep the weight under control by working out but I gave up because the scale kept going up no matter what I did. I had pretty much every side effect that went along with it. I was a crazy person with anxiety attacks, mood swings, and I could not stop eating. I've been off it since October. I decided after all the holidays that I would try to get things under control. I've been doing the point system (like Weight Watchers) without actually joining the program. I have lost five pounds in two weeks and around another seven before that. I'm hoping the scale keeps moving in the right direction. Exercise is challenging because I am somewhat limited in what I can do. My primary doctor has been very supportive. He assures me that my adrenal glands will start to kick back in to help with the weight loss. He also told me that once the weight does start coming off, there should be some joint improvement. Here's hoping!

Keep up the great work!

Worshipgirl
02-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi my name is Marian and Im so glad i have found this forum. Its comforting to find others that are struggling with weight loss and having to take meds. Im currently taking pplaqunel, Immuran, and infusion drip for Lupus. I have at least 70 more pounds to loose. I started the PINK METHOD and so far have lost 14 #'s and a total of 10.5 inches total. My issue right now is that the workout part of the plan is near impossible. I'm in pain most of the day because of joint damage and decreased lung capacity caused my scarring from my most recent flare up. Anyone out there that can identify? Hope everyone's day is as blessed as mine......cause truth be told, I am blessed!

Oh sweetie, you're doing so much good. Don't pressure yourself to work out more than your body can handle. You're on a lot of meds that really mess with your body. You're on a good program and you're making amazing progress. Give your body the rest it needs and don't overstress. Your lupus will thrive on stress. You ARE blessed.:carrot:

rj923
02-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Anyone on a long-term prednisone dose should read up on the side-effects. My mom was on 15 Mg twice daily for lupus for years and it essentially ruined her life. After nearly losing her to diabetes related infection (she developed diabetes after a few years on the prednisone), a new group of doctors decided that she needed to come off the meds. She began her taper down about two years ago and has been completely off the med for 6-9 months. As she dropped down 3 Mg every 6 weeks her body basically shut down (prednisone withdrawal syndrome), landing her in the hospital too many times to count. Since starting her journey she has lost about 200 lbs and is no longer diabetic, however she still deals with negative side-effects from prednisone every single day. I know everyone is different, but please PLEASE look into it!!!

ValRock
02-06-2012, 03:34 PM
I was diagnosed with Lupus in October 2005. I remember it because it was Halloween and I was convinced I was going to die any day.

Long story short... I was on prednisone, I was on Methotrexate. I felt like ****. I gained tons of weight (over and above the 257 I have in my ticker... but I wasn't keeping track, it was depressing).

I had to make a decision... lay down and let this flipping thing eat me alive, or take control of my life. I chose the latter.

Losing the weight has helped immensely. I no longer take any medication whatsoever and I have never felt better. My doctors consider me in remission.

Things I avoid: Milk, Beef, Starches and sugars.
Things I supplement with: Omega3, Flaxseed, Cinnamon, Cayenne, Coconut oil, Feverfew, Megadose VitD3 (I think this has made the biggest difference) plus others depending on how I'm feeling. TONS of leafy greens.

It's key to try to reduce stress. Trust me, this has not been easy in my life. I had to evacuate my children from Japan in March and I was sure I'd land myself in the hospital. Somehow I've avoided it so far. I wound up with some heart trouble and a raging kidney infection but both are under control now. Accupuncture is amazing for stress.

I HAVE to stay on top of my diet. If I let myself slip and start eating crap my body lets me know. My doctor recommended that I don't exercise, for some reason, I do anyway. I feel better when I do and my joints stay lubricated and pain free.

Feel free to PM me. It sucks, I know... but I believe this CAN be beat!!! Do not let the Lupus win.

1of8atmayo
02-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Is there anyone else that can relate to "water weight gain caused by prednisone?" From 60 mgs of pred 2 years ago, to being pred free for 10 months, I gained 50 lbs and have only lost 15 after going on a gluten free diet. For the past 10 months the other 40 pounds is so hard to lose. it's difficult to walk, stand or exercise although I go to physical therapy 3 times a week and do the workout regime, but I still have so much water weight bloat! I'm now trying a low dose water pill my md prescribed, but they really don't seem to be working...another dr says that the water is intracellular or in other words, inside my cells and not the water weight you can push your fingers in your skin and see. the water is all over and not just in one concentrated area. Can anyone relate? I am so tired of hearing, "give it time" that I want to scream. The water weight is so bad it is physically impossible for me to "run" my body is so weighted down!

erinrenae80
02-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Is there anyone else that can relate to "water weight gain caused by prednisone?" From 60 mgs of pred 2 years ago, to being pred free for 10 months, I gained 50 lbs and have only lost 15 after going on a gluten free diet. For the past 10 months the other 40 pounds is so hard to lose. it's difficult to walk, stand or exercise although I go to physical therapy 3 times a week and do the workout regime, but I still have so much water weight bloat! I'm now trying a low dose water pill my md prescribed, but they really don't seem to be working...another dr says that the water is intracellular or in other words, inside my cells and not the water weight you can push your fingers in your skin and see. the water is all over and not just in one concentrated area. Can anyone relate? I am so tired of hearing, "give it time" that I want to scream. The water weight is so bad it is physically impossible for me to "run" my body is so weighted down!

Have you tried drinking as much water as you possibly can? I know when I was on it, I was horribly swollen. I don't necessarily know that it was water weight but it was crazy. I can't tell you how many times I was asked if I was pregnant. I wasn't on nearly as high of a dose and for as long as you were. As long as you are doing the exercises you can, then you are doing more than someone sitting on the couch. Keep it up and you will get there. :hug:

1of8atmayo
02-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Have you tried drinking as much water as you possibly can? I know when I was on it, I was horribly swollen. I don't necessarily know that it was water weight but it was crazy. I can't tell you how many times I was asked if I was pregnant. I wasn't on nearly as high of a dose and for as long as you were. As long as you are doing the exercises you can, then you are doing more than someone sitting on the couch. Keep it up and you will get there. :hug:
I drink some water, but haven't had the urge to drink much....at this point I will try it, since I am resorting to water pills. I definitely have water all over my body...it's heavy and restricts me from walking, bending standing, etc. Thank you so much for the reply :-) ...10 months on no more meds, and over a year since on a low dose (10mgs.):(

erinrenae80
02-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Try to drink at least 64 ounces a day, even if you don't feel like it. It will help flush the extra water out of your system. I like to put a slice of lemon in my water. It gives it just a little extra flavor.

Worshipgirl
02-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I'm on 60 mg a day. Drinking more water seems counter-intuitive, but it's true. It helps to keep your system flushed. Also, avoid salt at all costs. No soups or pre-made foods. Go for fresh herbs and spices. I know how you feel, every evening I go to bed distended from bloat and my body is so swollen from the water that my legs feel like dead weights. Bless you.

adelaydee
02-21-2012, 07:52 AM
glad i found this thread! im new on prednisone, 70mg/day for bell's palsy, and im obese enough as it is (145 lbs, at only 5 feet tall)

the weight gain issues giving me stress!

Sum38
02-21-2012, 08:13 AM
I was diagnosed with lupus and I was on Prednisone for 8 months. It completely messed me up...weight gain, mood swings etc. -- I was having severe lupus flare ups and Prednisone seemed to be the only thing that brought some relief; UNTIL I went off gluten. -- Once I was off all grain products, my lupus flare ups started going away...Now a year and some months later, living gluten free life style, I have only had 2 or 3 MILD flare ups. ~ Worked for me, maybe someone could be helped by my experience.

:hug:

ksims7572
02-23-2012, 01:34 PM
I've been on various levels of prednisone for almost 2 years. Seems like every time I get below 10 mg, something happens and the doctors bump me back up. The first year I found this website and following some of the tips for the 1500 calorie diet, I was able to keep the weight gain minimal (about 10 lbs). This last bump up packed on 15+ more pounds. I got the hump, the moonface, the shoulder pads, the pot belly - I don't even recognize myself anymore. I had to buy new clothes after the first 10 lbs, now I'm on the verge of outgrowing those. I hate to go out to my kids' activities or even to my part-time job because I hate the way I look. I've tried the "better fat than dead" mantra, and it helps keep a basement on my depression, but it's not helping me stay motivated to stick to a diet. Exercising is a little easier to stick with because it does make me feel better, but I'm a total failure at resisting overeating or eating the "wrong" things. I asked my doctor if this weight would come off if I ever got off the steroids and she said the moonface should go away when I get below 5 mg, but the weight I'll just have to work at.

I joined this site today because I have to have someone to tell all this too. My husband tries hard to be sympathetic and encouraging, but somehow all his kind words just feel hollow. If I talk about it too much, then he gets blue as well, and at least one of us needs to be "normal" to deal with the kids.

Thanks for listening.

LindaLeeSnyder
02-28-2012, 11:23 AM
I've been on various levels of prednisone for almost 2 years. Seems like every time I get below 10 mg, something happens and the doctors bump me back up. The first year I found this website and following some of the tips for the 1500 calorie diet, I was able to keep the weight gain minimal (about 10 lbs). This last bump up packed on 15+ more pounds. I got the hump, the moonface, the shoulder pads, the pot belly - I don't even recognize myself anymore. I had to buy new clothes after the first 10 lbs, now I'm on the verge of outgrowing those. I hate to go out to my kids' activities or even to my part-time job because I hate the way I look. I've tried the "better fat than dead" mantra, and it helps keep a basement on my depression, but it's not helping me stay motivated to stick to a diet. Exercising is a little easier to stick with because it does make me feel better, but I'm a total failure at resisting overeating or eating the "wrong" things. I asked my doctor if this weight would come off if I ever got off the steroids and she said the moonface should go away when I get below 5 mg, but the weight I'll just have to work at.

I joined this site today because I have to have someone to tell all this too. My husband tries hard to be sympathetic and encouraging, but somehow all his kind words just feel hollow. If I talk about it too much, then he gets blue as well, and at least one of us needs to be "normal" to deal with the kids.

Thanks for listening.
If you have read this thread you will find many things that help with the weight gain. I was on and off high doses of Prednisone for 6 years for a blood disorder and once I got my diet straight things improved 100%. Lots of water, keep sodium intake to under 500mg day, little to no sugar (which for me included fruits), and no bread (when I look back I eliminated Gluten without realizing what I had done).

I ate lots of veggies and lean proteins (fish, tofu, chicken, turkey, pork). I think if you keep your sodium level to under 500 mg a day it eliminates many of the weight triggers automatically.

You are more in control than you realize - every bite you take can bring you closer to your goals and give you some control of what I am sure feels like an uncontrollable situation, I know mine did.

Best of luck.

Worshipgirl
03-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Ugh. I started by losing weight on the prednisone now I'm getting huge. So depressing. I need to get serious about eating the right stuff. I was doing great but something kicked in and now the carb cravings are OVERWHELMING. I don't recognize myself and I've had to buy new clothes just to be comfortable. I seriously look 4 months pregnant. I too have the moon face, and fat on my back and shoulders. And I was doing so well... :-(

loofa
03-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Does anyone know why prednisone does this? I have the same problems.

lm3898
03-19-2012, 09:45 PM
I just picked up a week's worth of prednisone 10 mg but I'm really hesitant to take it - my doc prescribed it for me in combination to zithromax to really get rid of this chest infection I have. I am reading the long term side effects, but does anyone know if a 5 day course of 10 mg prednisone will cause serious weight-related side effects? I told my doctor I would prefer not to take it and he said ultimately it's my choice but honestly, if a 5 day course will cause real damage, I'm going to avoid it...can anyone help discuss this dosage?

Thanks.

turboturtle80
03-20-2012, 06:02 PM
I grew up on prednisone due to bad asthma. Even tho docs say prednisone doesn't cause a lot of weight gain (my amount of weight), here I am. None of my sibblings have asthma and have never been on prednisone in their lives so they don't have the weight issues I do. I'll never let my kids take prednisone and even now I don't let anyone I know take it. We research alternative medicines. Prednisone is the worst drug ever and I can't believe how casually and frequently its prescribed. I know my post doesn't help the OP at all (sorry), but I hope anyone thinking of prednisone will look for alternate natural medicines. There's nothing good about it.

loofa
03-21-2012, 12:20 PM
From what I've read, short courses of the prednisone have less effect than long-term--and some people do have to take it long-term. In my experience, the short term doe I took as a teen did cause some weight gain, but I don't remember how much. I started taking 50mg/day for two weeks yesterday, so I will update later. I am hoping that because I know what to expect, I can avoid overeating while craving.

LM3898, for me the decision would be based on my perception of medical need. I am not a Dr.! but, having suffered through a week of deep congestion on top of asthma exacerbation, I know the prednisone will be effective and it is worth it to me to risk what I can't imagine will be significant weight gain in order to get healthy. Being in a condition that requires prednisone is no more healthy than gaining a few pounds, should I retain water or give in to cravings or whatever. my two cents--be aware but not afraid of it.

lm3898
03-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks Loofa - I started it last night - it's only 10mg/day for 5 days so I doubt the side effects will be large but I already feel so much better on it - I can finally breathe again which is AWESOME...and b/c I can breathe, I can workout so that's a plus anyway. I'm just going to watch my food intake for the rest of the week and do some light exercising and hope for the best. Thanks for the advice!

Jennylyn
03-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new and very happy to find this thread. I have been on preddie for about 19 years, yes you heard right. I have pulinary fibrosis which it makes it difficult to exercise to burn calories. It just sucks. I have just gain 23 pounds after already loosing some of my prior weight gain which took me about 1 1/2 years. But this isn't budging. I'm just happy being a comfortable size 12, not a squeezed in 14/16 or 1x. I'm ony 5'4. The fat back is the worst. I'm really at my worst of body image and yes I'm very happy I'm alive, but I want to look and feel pretty again. I'm on 15mg daily, constantly ask my dr's to lower it, but he's not budging. Any suggestions??:?:

goalhourglasss
04-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Hi thanks for helpful thread.
I am on prednisone 10 mg daily + plaquenie + Sulfasulazan for my RA.
prednisone will tend to retain sodium and water in our body. I was never crossed 110 lbs in my life till these drugs , I have gained 40 lbs in 6 months. :( Now started losing weight with very difficulty. I am on raw diet for 3 months lost 15 pounds :).
All the best for you guys. and have wonderful health :)

angelaherself
04-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Hey everyone, you all sound like me and I'm so glad we have this forum to help answer some questions for each other. As far as prednisone goes, I hate it so much but I have to admit it has saved my life so I have to be at least somewhat grateful.... I do have a question for you though. I have systemic JRA/Still's disease and I recently flared so I was put on 60mg of prednisone. Over the past couple of months I've been on and off prednisone, I would get a big dose in the hospital then I would go home and not have any just to come back in the hospital the next week or two and get another couple large doses and then finally I got a new rheumy that put me on 60mg until I could get on kineret. I got myself off of the drug within about a month and a half, through a pretty drastic taper(don't recommend unless you do A LOT of homework and have enough experience with prednisone and how it reacts with your body), although my rheumy still thinks I'm on 60mg:/ I just couldn't deal with the symptoms this time. I'm finally on my kineret and feeling pretty good. I've been off prednisone for about a week but was on only 10-2.5 mg for the last couple weeks. I've been on prednisone many times before but for some reason the symptoms aren't going away and in fact I've had a bit more fluid retention and moonface effects after the prednisone. Has anyone else had this happen and if so how long did those effects hang around. I thought I'd be seeing more progress by now and it's sort of bumming me out. So if you guys have any input that'd be wonderful. I hope you are all healthy and staying away from that prednisone!!

Leyah26
05-02-2012, 07:30 AM
my suggestion on scaling: weight every day, exactly at the same time each morning/night, do not breakfast before and pay attention to your supper . oh and use the same scale :!: :o Im saying this because for me it never fluctuated. I paid attention and kept goind south :D

Kaitri
05-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi everyone!

I've been working hard to lose weight for the past few months, but I recently lost my sight in my left eye and was diagnosed with optic neuritis. I was put on a 3-day course of IV corticosteroids and then a 7-day course of prednisone. I'm starting at 60mg and tapering down by 10mg/day.

I'm really worried about gaining weight while on the prednisone. I've been on the SBD for the past 3 weeks - I extended P1 because I cheated twice in the second week. Should I stick with P1 while I deal with this drug? The low carb/low salt diet should help reduce any weight gain, right?

Does anyone have any experience with such a short course? How log does it take to start gaining weight? How long does it take to start losing weight once we're off the drug?

I know that this was hardly my fault, but I'd really like to lose another 5 pounds by mid-July. :(

melodyjoy
05-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Hi everyone!

I found this web site after searching for hydrocortisone and weight loss. I have to take daily cortisone due to pituitary tumor hemorrhage - supposedly for life. The cortisone I take has similar effects to prednisone. Difficult to lose weight. I lost 37 lbs. when I was so sick right after to hemorrage before they realised the full scope of what had happened. I was throwing up everything I would try to eat for almost 3 months. I don't recommend losing weight that way. Once they put me on cortisone, I began to heal, but also immediately gained back about 17 lbs. I had lost. The good news is that I have managed to keep off about 20 lbs., but I seem to be stuck lately. I exercise a lot (daily) and am working on being stricker with my moderately low carb diet. I am thankful to find this web site and this thread to know I am not alone dealing with this. Thank you for being there.

janeybabs
07-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Hi all, so glad to have found you all, although i do wish i had found you sooner. I was on prenisolone for over a year and half. Last year i dieted like mad and exercised myself silly and not a pound did i loose. When i say exercise i mean lots, 5-6 days a week, mostly over 2hours a day. This included outdoor bootcamps etc.
Anyway, i have now been steroid free for 5 weeks but nothing is happening.....anyone know when i will start to have my body back, I really feel like i am hitting my head off a brick wall. All the specialist/gp say is that i am lucky i didn't put on weight. I'd like to see how they felt if they had put in the work i did. Anyway.....any wisdom would be super fantastic.
thanks peeps
J

janeybabs
07-16-2012, 03:41 AM
I could cry, I worked soooo hard last week, exercising 6 days, very good diet. I really n3ed some advice or support. Surely someone has been through this and can offer some advice....no sugar, very little carbs mostly just my porridge. Help please.

Mer du Japon
07-19-2012, 08:26 AM
My aunt gained a ton of weight on prednisone, she slowly decreased her dosage and now, a couple years later, she has lost about 30 lbs and still has a ways to go. The prednisone really did a number on her! She was unrecognizeable.

janeybabs
07-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks mer du. Do you know how long she was off them before the weight stared to drop? I just need reassurance as to how long before things start to improve.

Worshipgirl
07-21-2012, 11:34 AM
I've been reading a lot about prednisone and weight gain. A couple of books have been very helpful. Here's the low-down to prevent weight gain and to lose it.
First is diet. This is a tough one because when you're on prednisone, it messes with the body's ability to process sugars so there are intense cravings. But if you can, they recommend low salt, low carb, low fat diets. The prednisone supresses the adrenal glad which helps regulate many of the hormones that maintain our weight. When they get messed up, the body will store fat, re-position fat cells, and hold water. So if you can (I know it's hard!) avoid the sugars, simple carbs, salt, and fat.
Then there's exercise. Predi also messes with the muscles. It can cause muscle loss. UGH! So its really important to work out your muscles, which includes the heart and lungs (aerobic exercise). The more muscle you have, the better your metabolism will be to process foods.
I'm finally on only 4mg/day after 7 months of high doses. I gained about 20 pounds. Now I'm working with a trainer and I'm getting serious about my diet. I wish I had the whole time though. Good luck to all of you!

janeybabs
07-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks worship girl. I had read the same info so I managed to keep mostly the same weight during my time on them. But I did work so hard to do so. My body drastically changed shape despite the lack of weightloss. I just imagined it would drop off so quickly once I was off the steroids and it hasn't.
Good for you getting yourself a trainer. It would be nice to keep each other updated with how its going. I'm desperate to cling to any kind of motivation I can after all this time.x

janeybabs
07-30-2012, 03:31 AM
Woohoo, 11 1/4lbs in 8 weeks....finally might be getting my body back.

Worshipgirl
07-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Good for you! Keep going.:carrot:

janeybabs
07-31-2012, 03:19 PM
thanks chick. so pleased to see the scales moving after all this time. Woohoo!

janeybabs
08-06-2012, 05:33 AM
woohoo, another pound down!!!

sabrinaclasper
10-21-2012, 12:30 AM
So glad I found this. I have Sjogrens, RA and am also a Loopie. I am 29 years old and used to weigh 200lbs. I am at 127lbs now. Without Prednisone I would not even function but being on it during a flare up means weight gain for me. I tried everything...from juicing to vegan to raw. Now? I am paleo and it is the best thing I have ever done. I am on 30mg of pred and have absolutely no weight gain at all. With auto immune disorders we burn amino acids like nothing so meat is rather important.
I take about 6000mg of fish oil. First and former comes veggies of course and then...and this might shock you. FAT. Olive oil, coconut oil (any good healthy oils...veggie oil is crap! It is a killer so don't use that) and lot's of nuts. You would not believe how many nuts I eat in one day. After that comes animal products. Happy animals of course. No processed stuff at all. No sugar (some honey is quite okay). Dark chocolate is okay, eggs, WHOLE FAT greek yogurt with berries, and some other fruit. If you wish to lose weight stay well below 100g of carbs but not below 50. I maintain with 110g of carbs which is reached easy. No grains but yams are okay at times. Any roots are awesome. Very simple. Yes you might feel very tired for a few days, your body wants all the sugar that it is used to but that goes away fast. Plus all those cravings that Pred causes...O_O

Lumi
11-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Things I avoid: Milk, Beef, Starches and sugars.
Things I supplement with: Omega3, Flaxseed, Cinnamon, Cayenne, Coconut oil, Feverfew, Megadose VitD3 (I think this has made the biggest difference) plus others depending on how I'm feeling. TONS of leafy greens.

How much D3?

Rhonda Marie
11-19-2012, 02:00 PM
I am on prenisone for RA and have gained most of my weight while on it. It's a delema, take meds feel good but gain weight, don't take meds in constant pain.

janeybabs
11-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Hi Rhonda,
I would recommend a low carb diet. which one would be up to you. There are plenty going round. If nothing else it might help you stop putting on weight. Try not to get too frustrated if the weight isnt going anywhere.....hard to say...and this from a girl who would cry about it. Good luck. Oh and for anyone who thinks they may be suffering side effects i recommend a book called 'coping with prenisone and other corticosteroids'

Ann1231
11-25-2012, 10:29 AM
I am on prenisone for RA and have gained most of my weight while on it. It's a delema, take meds feel good but gain weight, don't take meds in constant pain.

I am as well. I'm on 20 mg right now because I developed pleurisy due to the RA. I've gained 50 pounds over the last 3 years with all the steroids but I'm determined to lose it with low carb!

Kat117
11-25-2012, 04:52 PM
I am also dealing with RA, hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia and finally gave in and got a prednisone pack. My hands were burning so bad last week I couldnt even type.
Dr. Told me to stay low card, high plant protein while taking the pack and I should gain weight. So far I seem to be staying even, but am having crazy cravings and really messed up dreams!

One thing I did want to share with everyone is that clove essential oil is an incredible topical anti inflammatory and painkiller! Mix a few drops of clove oil into jojoba oil and rub onto the area you are having pain. It will help reduce the pain for a couple of days. When it starts hurting again, repeat. Also, soak in hot Epsom salts water. That helps prevent the mineral and acid build up I the joints that causes the erosion of the bones.

Tabbycat
07-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Like another poster, I had anterior ischemic ocular neuritis (stroke of the optic nerve). I took 80 mg of prednisone for 6 days.

That was a month ago, and I am about 5 pounds heavier now (131) in spite of doing more exercise. I either jog or ride my bike 30 minutes and I also swim another 30 minutes every day.

Has anyone else had only a short period of prednisone at a heavy dosage? Did you have weight gain, and how long did it take to lose it?

On the positive, the eye doctor was going to prescrbe 100 mg and then he said "You're small, so I think I'll just give you 80 instead."

NSV :)

Amyp70
08-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Like a few of the other posters, I have Sjogren's Syndrome, and mine not only manifests with dry eyes, dry moth, fatigue and joint pain, but has effected my airways and vocal cords as well. Seem to get a flare every few months and its back on high does of Prednisone. I have an insane appetite while on high does and have gained 80 pounds in 2 years. 29 of that was just from April to May this year. I am now on maintenance dose of 5 mg with immunosuppressive therapy! So are to get the prednisone weight off. How do you stop the crazy appetite snd cravings while on high doses?

Creativian
08-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Ack. I was on prednisone for a mega eczema outbreak once. It is awful stuff. It made me eat like a fiend, heightened my aggression, and caused me to sleepwalk. Sleepwalking wasn't even on the list of side effects!

The only thing I can think of that would help with weight loss on prednisone is: ask your doctor for a lower dosage. Sorry. That's all I've got.