Old 05-24-2006, 07:41 AM   #1  

Question Question

Hi all,

Ok this may be a dumb question but I was just curious as I hear different things all the time. I know you should drink water over anything else (ie pop, juice, and such) but how bad is Crystal Light? Is it ok to have it daily or should I just stick to water? I know it is low in calories but I have read things like the aspartame is not good for you? So what does everyone think?

Thank you!
CanadianSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

No question is ever dumb if it makes you more aware of your good health choices. Besides that, I've asked enough dumb questions here at 3fc that I'm not holding anything against anyone

I like CrystalLite. It's a nice difference. For me, it's kinda price-y and it's an envelope full of chemicals. So my vote is for "nice for a change or a treat but I wouldn't drink it everyday"
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:12 AM   #3  
my baby with bubbles

S/C/G: 180/152/140

After reading the first two posts I hate to say that i drink alot of Crystal Light, I hate water. I used to drink ton's of it, but after the begining of my first pregnancy, my thoughts of water has drastically changed.

I also don't want to admit that I never looked to notice that aspartame is in it, I try to keep my Diet coke down to a minimum because of that, so I am defeating the purpose of only drinking diet coke for a treat.

Well you learn something new everyday. I better try to drink just water for a while.

Thanks for the wisdom!
40poundsago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:05 AM   #4  

Thanks Susan, I don't drink it very often as I was not sure if I should like you said I would drink it as a treat once in awhile, so I will stick to my water!
Old 05-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #5  

I love the new Crystal Lite packets that you can just dump into your water bottle - also Lipton has green tea in different flavors packaged for water bottles. Anyway, I could drink this stuff all day but I keep it to one bottle per day and the rest is WATER for me. The key is moderation.
tresor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:29 PM   #6  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

Personally I don't have any qualms about aspartame. I drink only diet soda (mostly because I'm not willing to give up soda completely) and use fake sweeteners in my coffee as well. I don't think there have been any definitive studies on diet soda, but a recent one I saw showed no difference/harmful effects in diet soda.

Other than that, I've also heard anything that's liquid and doesn't contain caffeine counts towards your water intake, so if it's low-cal I say even better. I don't like crystal lite myself, but if I did I'd probably drink it. Water's okay, but if crystal lite helps you get in more of your water intake I think it's probably a good thing! You'll have to make up your own mind on the aspartame, the scientific community appears to be divided.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #7  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

personally I love water so I've never had to deal with this issue, but I'll give you my two cents just the same. I say that if crystal light helps you to drink more water you might as well drink it.I did read something at some point that artificial sweeteners can actually make you crave sugar more, so thats something to consider, but if you find it helps you and you're not running to dairy queen because of it I don't see the harm at all, so long as you don't ingest a ton of the stuff everyday. And, probably not a huge difference, but I read somewhere if you drink really cold beverages you burn some calories just raising the temperature of the liquid to body temp. Not a lot, I think it was 70 calories if you drank the recommended amount of water every day, but better than if you drank warmer stuff. It made me lower the temperature in my fridge. Every little bit counts!
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:25 AM   #8  

Thank you all for your opinions it helped me out! I appreciate it!
Old 05-30-2006, 03:33 PM   #9  

Height: 5'6"

I LOVE Crystal Light. (Especially the raspberry ice tea!) I don't have any issues on aspartame - although I've heard some people aren't able to tolerate it. My take on water: If I am thirsty, thirsty, thirsty... I drink water. Why waste the good taste of Diet Dr Pepper, Diet Coke or Crystal Light when I really need a drink of something because I'm thirsty? I mean, like when I get back from the fitness center or walking the dogs.. or even shopping! I'll have a glass of water first and then grab the "good stuff".... I just had a liter of the raspberry ice tea stuff with my lunch. Yummy!! (I'll be floating to the bathroom soon though...)

Kimberly
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:08 AM   #10  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

mmmmm I love the pink lemonade crystal lite. Alot of ice and some strawberries cut up in it. I make a punch in the summer time,
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:52 AM   #11  

I don't have an issue with aspartame either, it's FDA approved, though as someone mentioned some people can have allergy like reactions. Drink on I say!!
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote