Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Subway Sandwich

View Full Version : Subway Sandwich

WillPower
05-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Hey Ladies, I must confess that i truely love Subway especially the Subway Club sandwich. Its suppose to have only 6 grams of fat and 320 calories without the dressing. I do put the Chipotle sauce on it and its fantastic. I eat it on wheat bread also. I just wanted to know if this is bad for me. I couldnt fathom not being able to have my subway sandwich for lunch. Anyone who can offer advice please do so!

Thanks

LLV
05-23-2006, 03:33 PM
I love the club and the chicken teriyaki.

Bad for you? Nope. Eating a Big Mac and fries is bad for you. Subway you have fresh bread, fresh veggies and lean meats. The only thing that's really 'bad' about sandwiches of that nature is the sodium content.

I love Subway and eat it quite often. I just make sure they don't put cheese or mayo or fatty dressings on my subs. I always get the sweet onion sauce, it's fat free :)

So have your Subway!

Sassy_Chick
05-27-2006, 01:38 AM
I love their Roasted chicken, but I have it with Mayo, maybe I should try one of the sauces instead? You know what I totally blanked out! I forgot all about Subway! DUH! Its tough for me to eat healthy working late shifts, so subway would work for a night or two! Like you said, better than Mickey D's Big Mac and Fries!

*Flady* ;)

jillybean720
05-27-2006, 10:52 AM
mmm...Subway Chicken Teriyaki on honey oat bread...YUM! The honey oat bread adds a few more calories, but I find it's usually less chewy than the plain wheat bread, and I'm just not a big fan of white anymore (I think it's a mental block by now that white=unhealthy, even though the darker breads are still just as unhealthy :devil: ). Anyway, I don't like many veggies at all, so I just get the sub with the teriyaki chicken, lots of lettuce, a sprinkling of onion, and the sweet onion sauce. If I could afford to eat it every day, I would in a heartbeat! Oh, and I've gotten it on a wrap instead of bread, too--reduces the calories and carbs and is still very yummy, although it seems much smaller and actually costs extra :dizzy:

garybearsgirl
05-29-2006, 10:07 PM
How come the better it is for you, the more it costs?

I like spicy brown mustard myself. And lean ham, TONS of veggies.
Subway is about the best place to go for a salad, too. You can get spinach and lean meats and dressing is always on the side - some of those dressing packets are HUGE!

shyla2001
05-29-2006, 10:22 PM
I :love: subway!! I get any of the 6 under 6 grams/fat ones... usually whichever is on sale for that day... and I load up with ALL the veggies... and just top with salt / pepper / oregeno, and a little vinegar ~ that's all the dressing I need!

Now if I just could eat salads as easily!

PandyCat
05-31-2006, 04:32 PM
Mmm, I am a *big* fan of the subway club, too! I just moved into a new apartment and there's a subway in the shopping center across the street! Woo hoo! I like that they give you more meat for roughly the same amount of calories. :D I always get mine with lettuce, tomato, pickles, banana peppers, onions, and honey mustard dressing (it's fat free). No cheese, and I find that nowadays I don't miss it since I'm loaded up with crunchy, fresh veggies.

exquisitern
05-31-2006, 04:45 PM
I love the Chipolte sauce too, but it has about 10g of fat in it. So I just use the sweet onion sauce that is fat free. It tastes really good too.

telemetrynurse
05-31-2006, 05:57 PM
I love subway! One thing I've learned is to request "double" meat---usually the roasted chicken. It cost $1 more, even on 12 inches and they give you twice the meat. I take off the extra meat and use it for a salad the next day or share with dh.

LLV
05-31-2006, 06:40 PM
Subway rocks!

:cp: :dancer:

Ophelia924
05-31-2006, 07:12 PM
I was never a big fan of Subway. Then one day recently I ventured in. I must agree on the taste of some of the new sauces that they have. The Chipotle is fantastic.

LLV
05-31-2006, 08:02 PM
I tried the new sub they have now, the Tuscan Chicken. It was wonderful. I got it without cheese and had them add on lettuce, tomato and onion (there's already grilled sweet peppers and onions on it, but I'm an onion fanatic) and a light sprinkling of the fat-free sweet onion sauce.

It was awesome, I hope they keep that one.

FrouFrou
06-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Another Subway fan here! I too like the subway club but with nothing on it. Just meat and white bread. DD got me started eating it that way...thought it was weird but I like the way it taste. Also like the tuna which I know is higher in cals but still like it. Now that I do get on the honey oat bread, sometimes wheat and with lettuce, tomato, pickle and a little dab of mayonnaise. It just tastes so good on the honey oat bread. Never tried any other sandwiches there but tried the vegetable beef soup one cold day and OMG it was soooo good!

LLV
06-01-2006, 02:22 PM
I like the Club, too. The Club and the Teriyaki chicken are my favorites. I always get them with loads of veggies (including spinach and cucumber) no cheese and no mayo or anything like that. Just a little sprinkle of the sweet onion sauce and I'm good to go.

Another fave of mine that I only have on rare occasions is the seafood and crab. I sometimes get the seafood and crab salad and then every once in a great while I'll get the sub. Fattening because of the mayo, but they claim they at least use the light mayo instead of full fat.

I love their honey oat bread but it's more calories than the regular wheat, so the wheat is usually what I get because I try and save calories anywhere I can. Used to be I'd only get the white bread, but I 'weaned' myself over to the wheat instead.

jillybean720
06-01-2006, 02:48 PM
I love their honey oat bread but it's more calories than the regular wheat, so the wheat is usually what I get because I try and save calories anywhere I can. Used to be I'd only get the white bread, but I 'weaned' myself over to the wheat instead.
But it's just regular wheat bread, not whole wheat bread, so isn't it just about the same nutritionally as the white?

I always get the honey oat bread. I don't think it's so many more calories that it will throw my diet off track. I've also started getting the teriyaki chicken on a wrap sometimes (if I'm not as hungry for lots of food). It's VERY yummy!

LLV
06-01-2006, 03:12 PM
But it's just regular wheat bread, not whole wheat bread, so isn't it just about the same nutritionally as the white?
Basically, yes. I wrote Subway once and asked them for a list of ingredients in their breads. The wheat (sorry, but this also includes the honey oat) is just wheat flour. Not WHOLE wheat flour. The honey oat is basically the same thing as the wheat, only they add honey and oats, which bumps up the calories a little bit.

But none of their breads are made from whole wheat flour. So yes, pretty much, the wheat is the same as the white. You're just getting a few extra little grains in there is all. But it's not WHOLE grain.

And I haven't tried the wraps yet, I'll have to have one of those next :)

LLV
06-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Ooooo, the wraps are only 120 calories each!

That'd save some bigtime stuff.

jillybean720
06-01-2006, 03:26 PM
But none of their breads are made from whole wheat flour. So yes, pretty much, the wheat is the same as the white. You're just getting a few extra little grains in there is all. But it's not WHOLE grain.
Yeah, I knew none of their breads were whole grains. If they were, I bet they'd be even more expensive (just like it costs me almost $3 for a small loaf of whole-wheat bread, but I could buy a larger loaf of regular white bread for 89 cents :devil: ). I don't eat the honey oat because I think it's whole-grain--I just eat it cuz it's yummy :D

LLV
06-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I knew none of their breads were whole grains. If they were, I bet they'd be even more expensive (just like it costs me almost $3 for a small loaf of whole-wheat bread, but I could buy a larger loaf of regular white bread for 89 cents :devil: ). I don't eat the honey oat because I think it's whole-grain--I just eat it cuz it's yummy :D
It's VERY yummy.

By the way, I don't know where it is, but I heard someone say once that there's a recipe on the web somewhere for a 'mock' Subway honey oat bread. If ya wanna do a search for it. I haven't looked because although I love to cook, I hate to bake. I'll just go buy it from Subway, lol.

P.S. Fiber content on Subway breads per 6" bun -

White - 1 gram
Wheat - 3 grams
Honey Oat - 4 grams

So although the bread isn't whole grain, you're still getting more fiber with the wheat and the honey oat, which is one of the reasons I get the wheat over the white.

LLV
06-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Here's a link to Subway bread ingredients. The first ingredient in the wheat bread (which is also the honey oat) is typical wheat flour (which is misleading, because all flour is made of wheat, which is what tricks people into believing they're getting whole grains when they're not) but down the list a little in our wheat and honey oat is whole wheat flour, wheat bran and cracked wheat.

http://subs.com.sg/nutrition/nutrition_information.html

Also the white breads appear to include hydrogenated oils whereas the wheat breads do not.

Another reason to order wheat instead of white.

WaterRat
06-01-2006, 05:58 PM
I like Subway a lot. I usually get the chicken teryaki on wheat with no cheese, lettuce, tomato and banana peppers, with sweet onion sauce. It's reallly good toasted too :) I only get it toasted if I'm going to eat there because I don't like cold toast.

Another fave of mine that I only have on rare occasions is the seafood and crab. I sometimes get the seafood and crab salad and then every once in a great while I'll get the sub. Fattening because of the mayo, but they claim they at least use the light mayo instead of full fat.

Hey - the Subways around here don't have seafood and crab anymore :tantrum: It was my very favorite, though I didn't have it often given the calories.

LynneA
06-01-2006, 06:48 PM
I love Subway it's hard for me to do right when I walk into that place lol.

Have you guys tried their new buffalo chicken? I have it in a wrap with just lettuce, black olives, jalapenos and pickle. No condiments, for me it's just right with the buffalo sauce. Soooooooo good!

LLV
06-01-2006, 08:57 PM
There's something about the way a Subway smells that drives me crazy. It's a unique smell, but a familiar one. I was taking a friend of mine to a local hospital for outpatient care (nothing serious) and I walked down the main hallway toward the lobby and stopped dead in my tracks and stuck my nose in the air and said, "They have a Subway here, don't they."

She laughed and said "yep, I believe so" and that's where we ate lunch after she was finished up with the doctor. They've got a Subway on the main floor of this restaurant and we sorta joked about it once she was done. She said, "Now where's that Subway, I'm hungry."

And I said, "Just follow your nose, come on."

And that's how we found it, lol.

LLV
06-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Hey - the Subways around here don't have seafood and crab anymore :tantrum: It was my very favorite, though I didn't have it often given the calories.
The seafood and crab disappeared for a while from our Subways as well, but they brought it back. Maybe people complained about it being gone. Call them and raise heck!

lol

LLV
06-01-2006, 09:09 PM
I love Subway it's hard for me to do right when I walk into that place lol.

Have you guys tried their new buffalo chicken? I have it in a wrap with just lettuce, black olives, jalapenos and pickle. No condiments, for me it's just right with the buffalo sauce. Soooooooo good!
Haven't tried that one, but the Tuscan Chicken is really good.

chicagoposter
06-01-2006, 09:56 PM
i'm probably of a minority, but since i'm a vegetarian, i get the foot long veggie sub w/spicy mustard or with oregano and red vinegar, no cheese. i've never thought of getting the onion sauce. mmmmm. i know what's for dinner tomorrow!

LLV
06-01-2006, 10:12 PM
i'm probably of a minority, but since i'm a vegetarian, i get the foot long veggie sub w/spicy mustard or with oregano and red vinegar, no cheese. i've never thought of getting the onion sauce. mmmmm. i know what's for dinner tomorrow!
Ohhhh, the onion sauce is wonderful. It's sweet and fat-free.

I sometimes make 'mock' Subway subs at home and searched the world over to find a sauce that comes close. The only one I've found is Ken's Steakhouse Lite Vidalia Onion dressing.

It's heavenly.

They need to bottle and sell that sweet onion sauce.

Sassy_Chick
06-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Linda - I just had the Tuscan Chicken Today, it was AWESOME! :high: My hubby loves the Seafood one, but he hasn't gotten it lately. Will have to check and see if its gone now.

LLV
06-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Linda - I just had the Tuscan Chicken Today, it was AWESOME! :high:
Isn't that yummy? I got mine without the melted cheese and it was still wonderful :)

mudbugs
06-04-2006, 02:37 PM
do any of you know what the nutrition/calories etc. are for that new Tuscan chicken sandwich? I haven't been able to find it online yet...I had one the other night and it was good---but I have no idea how to put it in fit day....

Sassy_Chick
06-04-2006, 08:07 PM
I couldn't find it, but I think it would be simular to the Oven Roasted Chicken Sandwich, only it has peppers, spices and they use tuscan vinigerette sauce. I seen someone who was on WW comment that they would guess it about 6 points? Dunno if that helps you or not. lol