Old 05-23-2006, 08:05 AM   #1  
Run Forest Run!

Default Inch loss but no weight loss

I know its possible to lose inches without necessarily losing pounds, but can anyone actually tell me how that works?

I've stupidly just been concentrating solely on my weight and was getting peeved that the scales didnt seem to be shifting very much. But last week i tried on a shirt and jacket that were really tight before and they fitted perfectly. So im guessing i've lost inches from somewhere in my torso. With hindsight i realise that i should be measuring myself to see the results for real!

But can anyone actually explain this loss? I always figured that if you lose inches then you must lose weight as something must disappear?

Any insight into this would be mucho appreciated!
bone idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:07 AM   #2  
my baby with bubbles

S/C/G: 180/152/140

Muscle is more condensed than fat, I know someone had pictures of it posted somewhere but 5 pounds of fat is twice the size of 5 pounds of muscle. so if you are gaining muscle and loseing fat. you will stay the same weight but lose inches. I will see if I can find a picture to show the size difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muscle vs. fat.jpg (2.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by 40poundsago; 05-23-2006 at 09:13 AM.
40poundsago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:17 AM   #3  
Run Forest Run!

That might explain it, but to be honest i really dont think i've gained that much muscle. I do quite a bit of cardio work but very little weight lift / resistance training. Im sure i remember ppl posting before about how long it takes to even build one pound of muscle...
Old 05-23-2006, 12:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/179/130

My suggestion would be to take measurments as well as to mark down your weight. You should also take pictures of yourself in a bathing suit (front, side & back) pictures are worth a thousand words. I as well was working out and not lossing weight but I was definitly lossing inches.
canadiancutiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:57 PM   #5  
No more fat mama!

I know that even in a few workout sessions I am not loosing weight, but I am toning up. Clothes are fitting a little bit better. I know that the weight will come in time.
bearcatmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:21 PM   #6  
my baby with bubbles

S/C/G: 180/152/140

I have only been going to the gym for two weeks and I have gone done a pant size if not two, I think I am mainly just toning, but that is better than nothing. so
40poundsago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

To be completely honest I'll take inches lost over weight lost any day of the week.

I didn't think cardio would tone me as much as it has - all I am doing at the moment is running and dancing but I have definitely increased muscle definition even in my stomach.

The scales havent moved much for me for awhile...they hover between 59-60 kgs (130-132pds) but I have gone from a size 8/10 to a solid 8 (Thats about a 4/6 to solid 4 in US sizes I think).

Inches are definitely the best! Congrats on it

Liv
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #8  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

I hear ya!

I put on 3lb this month, but lost 2" off my hips and 1" off my waist.

I only hope it was not me stuffing up my measurements and that I built some serious muscle.
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:32 AM   #9  
Follow Me to Onederland!

S/C/G: 284~278~150

I've lost only 3 lbs and a total of almost 15 inches (all over) in the last 2 weeks
Hpnotq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:42 AM   #10  
Run Forest Run!

Tanx for the replies you guys. I guess its going to remain one of life's mysteries!