Dieting with Obstacles - Anybody with Rheumatoid Arthritis?

mel67
05-22-2006, 10:26 AM
I have RA and was wondering if anyone here also does. I really want to do some working out (surely there's more I can do than water aerobics!) some, and was hoping to find someone with the same problem to give me some tips.

impossible princess
05-24-2006, 07:35 PM
My aunt has it severely and my mum has the beginnings of it mildly I think. How bad is yours?

HarpoChicoGroucho
05-24-2006, 08:23 PM
oohh, I do I do!!! Well, I'm sorry to tell you when I'm having a flare-up, I just can't exercise, heck I can barely walk (I was on crutches during my last flare-up). I know since losing a lot of weight, my RA episodes have lessened even more. It has gotten better since I've gotten older but having strong muscles and joints help it out (I think). I only have flare-ups now 3 or 4 times a year. But when I was younger (when I was growing) I was in daily severe pain that led me to a drug dependency at the age of 11. But you didn't ask about my history, did you? Anyway, I don't know the severity of your RA, but when mine flares up, I can't even think about exercising. I'm in the most excruciating, debilitating pain that NO drugs (except Vioxx) can touch. I can't sleep, I only can lay around and cry. The pain pretty much abolishes my appetite, so I don't worry about exercising anyway.

But my advice to you is to exercise like a demon when you are not in pain to strengthen up those bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles.

But where to you have it anyway? I have it in my right knee. I'll try to give you some other exercise options if you tell me more about your RA (the severity and location).

Ann1231
05-28-2006, 02:19 PM
I have it! I was diagnosed in January of 2005. I'm on methotrexate and naproxyn right now. I just got off prednisone in April. I still have all the weight that I gained with that.

I try to walk as much as I can. During a flare that amounts to trips from the sofa to the bathroom :( On good days I try to walk about 3 miles. Sometimes I can ride my bike, it's an old fashioned cruiser and easy on the joints. I got the Arthritis Foundations exercise video and it's super easy and very helpful during bad days. I make sure and stretch every day and I'm trying to add a little light weight lifting into my workouts. My rheumy said to do 3 things:
1. cardio
2. resistance
3. stretching

I'm trying to incorporate all three, some days I can, some I can not.
Ann

Miss Marple
06-15-2006, 07:00 PM
I have it all over my body. I have it bad in my back and knees. I want to excercise but I can't. Even just walking hurts bad. On top of all that I have High Blood Pressure and the doctor won't let me do much more than walk. I love water aerobics but I can't get up and down in the pool easy enough. I feel like I'm hopeless. But I know that if I would lose weight I would be so much better. Is there anything I can do:?:

Ashraela
07-11-2006, 05:14 AM
I have RA and was wondering if anyone here also does. I really want to do some working out (surely there's more I can do than water aerobics!) some, and was hoping to find someone with the same problem to give me some tips.
Hi Mel! I have rheumatic arthritis too:( . I dont know how bad yours is but mine became so painful I couldn't live with it anymore. I spent a few days in a specialized clinic for arthritis, JD Healthcare center (http://www.jdhealthcare.com/bonejoint.html#6), I dont know if you've heard about it...I was treated there until I could live nearly normally i.e. I wasn't struck down with pain and paralyzed most of the time:?:. I had to go there once in a while for check ups and more treatment but now I feel like I can finally live like a normal person. The only good advice I could give you is to see a doctor. Advice wont kill you nor make it worse but if you let it untreated it might become worse than you think. You take care now! Ciao

crispy3
10-09-2006, 07:13 AM
Hi, I too have RA - I'm new here and would like to know what obstacles I might run into when I start excercising..Also have two knee replacements...

higherfaith
10-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Hello , I too have RA , it's in my wrists and hands and wow my right knee has an inflamitory arthritis in that , it is swollen right now 2 days after stopping a week long dose of steriod . I have been looking at many different options to take. I absolutly do not want to take any of the meds my doc suggested , he told me to research them first and all the ones that I looked into have a severe side effect on the lungs. I battled and conquered a lung disease in 2003/2004 and I just can't bring myself to not being able to breath again. So I have started Glocosomine MSM and I have relafin and a darvaset for really bad days I still try and excersise as much as I can but during a flare up it is all I can do to take myself to the bathroom with out the use of the cane. I have lost 51 pounds so far and I feel like I am being kicked back again from this disease, I was diagnosed this year with and the fact that I feel in my mind I am too dang young!! anyway I hope for advice on what to do with it and what can I expect in the future. Take care now.

anagram
11-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Hi, I too have RA and two artificial knees. I was on Plaquenil for years. About four years ago, I was able to go off that. I found the pool exercises helpful but I go to a pool at a Rahab center which has steps into the heated water (sometimes 90 plus degrees which really helps stiff joints). Also it's not a "class" - we exercise independently so you can be as aerobic as it pleases you but you can do what helps your specific muscles, joints most as well. Before that I found the Arthritis Foundation tapes helpful too. I now take Tai Chi based exercises at a Sr. Citizen place (I'm 69) and have recently been able to get back to walking. For many years I subscribed to the Arthritis Foundation magazine and also took their self-help course.

I was on prednisone almost a year ago for a longer time than usual. This was because I needed to care for my DH and it involved a LOT of physical activity and did in my arthritis control in many ways. I'm working my way back from all that but have just done me in with too much go-go for the recent holiday. I think learning our limits is so important but I've not truly learned that lesson yet or I wouldn't be hurting as I am right now.

However, a warm shower and activity will help. I now am taking Clinoril for inflammation, MSM, vitamins, etc. I lost 45 lbs or so a few years ago, have mostly maintained with the usual ups and downs. I need to lose much more (another 50 would be nice).

RA is so individual, what works for one doesn't always work for another but I tried most things that seemed reasonable. It took me years to understand that I couldn't be down on me when I couldn't do things, that with rest, meds, healthy eating and small movements, I was able to do more long term than when I would push myself (again, as I did over the holiday). This was esp. true when I first was diagnosed and was only in my 40s and could push through a lot (and sometimes felt I had to). Understanding was hard to come by as I LOOKED healthy and all these ads where people take an over-the-counter pill and can then do EVERYTHING give friends/family the idea you're a malingerer. DH was always good but it was a long time until I got even him educated.

Each day I start over - usually with good reason. Be kind to yourself during flares. I also did hypnosis/meditation tapes to learn how to deal with the worst days. And would sometimes find things to do (like Christmas cards ;) ) that needed to be done anyway and that I could do sitting down and resting. Even a little accomplishment counted and let my better times more free for things I couldn't do otherwise.

I wish you so well - it is a lot to deal with. The more you can learn and the more you try (with your doctor's approval where that applies), the more "control" you will feel. I've fortunately been able to "tame" the beast a little for now and have not had to go to any of the newer drugs but for many they've been a big help.

I do face foot surgery in March (second foot) to try to undo some damage so I can get back to more walking. So right now, I'm working on getting me in the best shape I can be for that. Note I said "working on", not always succeeding but today's a new day. Good luck!

Gardinia
12-30-2006, 03:43 PM
I have RA and was wondering if anyone here also does. I really want to do some working out (surely there's more I can do than water aerobics!) some, and was hoping to find someone with the same problem to give me some tips.I have recently been diagnosed with RA. My dr says it's "severe" and I too am looking for exercise routines that I can manage with RA. I have access to a pool and try to swim 2-3 times a week but that doesn't seem to be doing anything for weight loss, at least not yet. I have access to an exercise bike that I plan on introducing this body to when I return home after the holidays. I'm not sure how much exercise is too much at this point, and at the same time, how much is effective.

ayaussy
01-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Hi RA-ers! I have scleroderma and the associated joint problems. Talk to your doc about when you can exercise - she may say not to if you're in the middle of a bad flare. When she thinks you're ready, ask for referral to a physical therapist. The stretching and exercises they teach are a great beginning to getting more active. Towards the end of my most recent flare I had 3 sessions with PTs to get me going and now am walking in the summer and using an elliptical trainer inside in the cold, as well as some light strength training. Good luck!

Khewes
01-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Joins the crowd with RA. In the middle of a flare right now and so, so frustrated.
I can't unsnap my bra, let alone exercise. It's good to be in a place where people understand. Even "gentle walking" isn't always an option for me.

I'm definitely going to check out the Arthritis Foundation videos. I have a new grandaughter who's just become mobile and I want to be able to keep up with her. I'm too young to have to live like this. The big 4-0 is staring me in the face, and I feel like if I don't get a handle on my weight soon, it's just going to be too late.

Kim

chrily
01-10-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm also a RA patient. I've had it since 1999. It's frustrating to be in the prime of my life and getting knocked down by what everyone assumes is an older persons' disease. I was diagnosed at 28. Anyhow, I'm taking methotrexate and tylenol when I need to. I just got done with some flare ups that wouldn't go away and was on a prednisone taper for 20 days. I did go through a VERY nasty period where I was almost bedridden and hardly able to walk because of the sulfasalazine I was on. I had to go completely off meds until my liver count when down to normal before they could start me on methotrexate. I don't EVER want to go through that again. Felt like every bone in my body was broken. I hurt so bad and was crying constantly.
Happy to say that I'm going on my 4th yr of methotrexate and doing fine. I don't care what anyone says, having RA is scary. Before I got diagnosed I was petrified.

I don't do too bad with exercise. The more I do it, the better I feel and the less flare ups I have. Getting your weight down also makes a difference for some odd reason. It does help me keep up with my kiddos. I have a 7, 4 and 13 yr old. All girls!!!! While pregnant with the last one, I never had any flare ups or aches and pains, but afterwards...holy cow!!! My rheumatologist recommends not having any more children.

My mother was diagnosed with RA 2 yrs ago, so I know where I probably got it from.

Anyhow, I do exercise tapes and walk on the treadmill. I did weights at the gym without little consequence but my membership expired now. Depending on your stage of RA, there is so much you can do. I'm at a moderate stage, my mother is more advanced...but she enjoys walking. Water aerobics is an excellent way to exercise.

Okay...done with the book. We should start up a thread for RA people....

Christina

chrily
01-10-2007, 07:47 PM
I just wanted to add that with RA, stay on top of things. My mom went for a couple of years just taking anti-inflammatories only and she has a ton of joint damage. Anti-inflammatories only help with the pain. Even if you don't hurt while taking Tylenol, Advil, Relafin, etc, without the methotrexate, enbrel, humira, etc, the damage to your body is still happening.

I also would recommend visiting the Arthritis Foundations website. It is a wealth of information. I ordered two different books from them for RA and they are chocked full of info.

I had my visit with the rheumy today and had to do more bloodwork. My CRP is up and so he wanted to recheck it. I might get moved up to enbrel or humira. We'll see.... I'm not sure if my checkbook is ready for that yet. Thank God for insurance!

Christina

higherfaith
01-11-2007, 11:05 PM
What is a person supposed to do that has had a lung disease ??? those drugs for RA can cause scarring in my lungs and I really really hated not being able to breath and only move 5 feet because I had no air ... not saying I don't move much slower today because I have RA , but I am not out of breath , just lots of pain instead . and I am still wondering what caused me to get this ?? ok Sorry , sounds like I was whining.
take care , higherfaith

chrily
01-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Higherfaith...
What kind of lung disease do you have? My mom also has sarcoidosis which has caused scarring and granulomas in her lungs. Sarcoidosis is another auto-immune disorder. Have you talked to your doctor about all your options? I think that is where I would start first. I know the pain with RA can get to unbearable intolerable levels. Been there too. I was to the point where it took me 10 min. to walk to the bathroom that was 10 feet from my bedroom to fall on to the toilet and then sit there and rock and rock trying to get up the nerve to stand back up. Then when I'd get stood up the pain was so excruciating, I'd have to stand there until my legs would stop shaking and wait for the initial shock of that movement to go down a bit to only take the same walk back to the bedroom, leaning on the wall the whole way. I would be soaking wet with perspiration by the time I'd make it back to the bed. That stuff is scary. I had to go like that for almost 3 months while my liver counts went down so I could start on methotrexate.

Check with your doctor. Get a second opinion. If your not going to a rheumatologist, I would suggest you do. They have much more experience and knowledge than an standard doc. Heck, my reg. doc couldn't figure out what was going on with me...so I came to my rheumatologist as a referrral. I'm sooo glad I did.

Hang in there everyone! There are still good days too...:)

Christina

peacock 2
01-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Hello - not going to be much help. I had Still's Disease - a form of RA as a very young child. I do not remember much about it but I do remember mum teling me the physio got me in the pool to do some exercises. Sadly, mum said a lot of the kids on my ward ended up in wheelchairs.

I get the odd twinge form time to time - it seems worse when the weather is hot actually! Like my bones are rubbing together.

Mum also got me doing ballet - I hated it but understand she wanted my bones to be stronger.

Anyway now I am in my 40's and overweight and not doing much exercise but I am determind to do some as I know it'll help in the long run. Poor mum is confined to a wheelchair when she is out and about and cannot stand for long as her legs give way :(

Sorry to hear there are so many of you suffereing with this :(

chrily
01-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Peacock,
What you say is true. I think for a number of diseases and ailments, it is VERY important to keep moving. For arthritis sufferers, the less moving you do, the stiffer your joints become.

bemyjoeyramone
01-16-2007, 12:00 AM
wow! im so glad someone recommended this group for me! it is encouraging to see so many ladies facing the same problems I have! I have not been officially diagnosed with RA, but i do have many bone and joint problems that trigger RA type symptoms.. i saw an Rheumatologist for years, but the thought of being on meds when i'm so young scared me (i'm 25, but i was on arthritis meds for 10 years and stopped when i was 22). vioxx and a slew of others i can't remember. plus i was tired of getting my blood drawn every few months! hehe.

i actually started taking horseback riding lessons at a HIPPO approved riding facility and it has really helped regain some of my flexability and strength (I used to be a pretty serious rider before i went to college). if you can afford it, i highly recommend it! a good HIPPO facilities have physical therapists that teach the lessons and its all about getting your strength and flexability back and they wont push you to the point of pain..but they will push you. plus, i find it a lot more enjoyable than going to a standard gym.

here's a link if you want to find a center near you:
http://www.narha.org/Centers/FindCenter2.asp a lot of them will let you volunteer to offset the cost of lessons too.. I've been doing this once a week and then riding a stationary bike 2-3 other days a week..

chrily
01-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Hey Bemy...Glad you found us too. It's kind of a comfor to meet others with the same problems.

Sorry so short but hubby is going in for surgery in a 1/2 hour. Pray for him... and us...and our family.

Christina

Ciaran60
01-16-2007, 01:05 PM
I thought I would introduce myself here. I was diagnosed with JRA when I was 2 years old(am 46) and went into remission when I was 6. Had no signs of it until my last year of nursing school when I was 27 when it kicked back in. I had my first two joint surgeries a year later and basically for the next 10 years I averaged 2 surgeries a year. I have replaced both hips, knees, shoulders(twice), elbows, cervical fusion, and a jaw joint (which was recalled and removed with nothing to replace it with). I have done the gamut of meds and currently in a research program doing a med that requires you take methotrexate along with the once a month iv infusions (I also take the normal antiinflammatory/prednisone which I have taken for the last 20 years). SO I guess I am the poster child for this damn disease process (or least I am told).

I have seen my weight fluxuate over the years but this last year I have seen it go up 20 pounds. I haven't been able to exercise/get around much since I have a blown out ankle joint that makes me use a crutch to walk with. So cardio exercise for me is basically getting around period - simple muscle toning/stretching is the norm.

If I can answer any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I think the best advice is to keep doing whatever you can - even if it just means getting yourself out of bed and dressed in the morning. Any small victory counts!

Keeping a sense of humor about it all helps too. :)

~Robin

chrily
01-17-2007, 01:00 AM
Robin...OMG you do sound like you've ran the gamut for RA. My prayers are with you. :) I am currently waiting the for the results of my last bloodwork. I had to go to my rheumatologist on Friday and my CRP from my bloodwork a couple weeks prior was really elevated and showing inflammation somewhere. So after my appt. on Friday, he had me go get it drawn again. IF its still up, we might have to consider doing Humira or Enbrel. I don't feel to bad or achy but I know I've been super fatigued as of late. I'm not sure if my wallet is ready for those pricey meds yet. :D

To bed with me. Hubby had surgery on his stomach today, and my cold has seemed to develop into a bacterial infection so I just want to find my pillow and curl up in bed with my kids and sleep. I feel soo darn lonely with my husband in the hospital. We have never been seperated overnight before. Kind of a emotional shock for me.

Check back tomorrow...

christina

DramaQueenLucy
01-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Hi there I have both rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis in my knees and wrists...doctor told me to stop walking for now wants me to use the recumbent bike. Not real sure what to do with this I was just diagnosed with them and I am having a problem with adjusting. Any input would be great.

Ciaran60
01-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Colleen/Dramaqueen,

I am not sure why your doc would discourage you from walking of all things. Are your knees really bothering you? I can understand him not wanting you to do impact type activities, ie running/jogging/skiing/etc but walking is always encouraged to do as much and as long as you can stand it. The recumbent bike isn't a bad deal though if you own one.

Did you get put on meds (asking because it kinda tells me where you are in the "big" scheme of things)? Sometimes when you just get diagnosed because of your symptoms, etc, the doc is giving you a heads up - letting you know that you will need to adjust your activities. You will need to do this but its really yours to do - meaning that you are the judge on how your body feels (he can only go by what you tell him and labs/xrays). You learn that some days you can do anything you want and other days (ie if you flare/have pain) you may need to back off and relax.

Not sure if this helps at all but probably the best advice I can offer.

Hang in there!

Christina: Embrel and Humira are sooo damn expensive - its frightening. I am not sure how people do it! I did Humira and the only reason I could was because my doc applied for a waver with the company which was approved. This meant I got it for free. With my long history of doing all the meds and several research drugs, I guess the drug company figured why not. Unfortunately it didn't do anything for me. I do know that both work well for lots of folks though. Hopefully you have decent insurance (I am disabled so had no pharmaceutical coverage until this Bush plan - which doesn't cover it).

Hope your husband heals quickly and returns home.

~Robin

bemyjoeyramone
01-18-2007, 03:19 AM
i just wanted to add that target.com has some cheap recumbent bikes... under 200. i have this one:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1169104554/ref=sr_1_1/601-1200102-7620917?ie=UTF8&asin=B0000AT59I

nothing fancy, but it does have resistence, and a calorie counter/odometer/timer thingy. im only 4'10 and have no problems with my feet touch (often an issue at gym bikes). its heavy, so its difficult to move if you have carpet..but its pretty small so i just shove mine under my desk when not in use..

DramaQueenLucy
01-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Robin- I really don't know where I fit with all this the doctor told me to stop walking because I had asked him if there was something that I could do to stop my knees from swelling when I walk. I go back today and plan on talking to him some more about what I can do. Right now I am on Methotrexate but I don't know the difference between the drugs??? I do know that my knees have been swelling pretty bad for a while now it started last summer, I can just move wrong and thats it they swell up thus the problem with walking. Stair are a big no no for me it hurts to go up and down them and I am always feeling like I am gonna fall. My wrist really doesn't bother me that much because I had a really bad fracture in it when I was a teen so it has always hurt but I am used to that. I do think that when I get some of this weight off of me that my knees will be some better.

Bemy-I have found a bike at walmart that I am going to pick up in a few weeks for $110.00 it looks really similar to the one from target.

Butterfly50
01-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Hello My Name is Bonnie and I ran across this forum when I was looking something up. I wanted to say that I know what all of you are going threw. My Son at age 11 Started having pains in his legs and all the doc wanted to do is give muscle relaxers. When he turned 16 had a bad esposide. He was in soo much pain he could walk or nothng all he did was lay in the bed and cry because the pain was soo bad when he moved. I finally demanded that they quit covering up the pain and find out why he was having it. Come to find out They sent him for a mri and them referred him to a Rheumatologist. In 15 MIn he came in and told us that they knew what was wrong with him and they could help him. He has Anklelosing Spondlitis. ( AS) They did all the paper work and got him approved for Enbrel and that has been a life saver he has been taking it for Almost 2 years and is doing great. Now the problem I have is that he will be 18 and they had medcaide paying for his Enbrel. Does any one kow if their is any help out their that will help out with this. I am currently checking into The PPA that Montel Supports. I can tell you His Shots For 4 50 Mg Of enbrel a months supply is almost 1600 a month. I jest want to say hang in their .

Ciaran60
01-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Butterfly:

Have your doctor see if the drug company will give him a waiver for Enbrel. ALL pharmaceutical companies have some type of assistance program that will help. They don't advertise the fact because its money out of their pocket. I know that the requirements are stringent - they ask for your last income tax return, etc and always check to see what your insurance programs will cover. Is your son classified as disabled? He still might be able to get some Medicaid coverage - think this varies from states.

Make the doc work for you on this (will be his nurse of course) because reality is if you can't afford the meds, he will have to come up with another treatment plan. I am kinda venemous on this topic since drug companies make soo much money and I find it ironic that the attitude for insurance companies (who don't provide proper pharmaceutical coverage to under 65 disabled) is that it's cheaper to replace the joint than pay for the meds.

/rant off....

Colleen:

The weight will make a huge difference on the knees. If walking is causing swelling then a recumbent bike is a good option. It will keep you exercising while you lose weight. The methotrexate and meds will hopefully get your inflammation process down soon.

~Robin

DramaQueenLucy
01-18-2007, 03:21 PM
I am hoping that when it gets warmer I will be able to walk again, when I first started to walk it was warmer and I was good with that but as it got colder more and more swelling. I do miss being able to go it was my alone time I loved walking before I got the kids up for school. Well I can adjust just get up early and use the bike. Also do you know of any exercise videos that I could use??

Butterfly50
01-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks Cianran60 well I have not checked into trying to get him On Disability or anything. His father is He is Blind in one eye and 75% deaf among other things. I will have to do some checking. Thanks for the info.

teresah24
01-23-2007, 09:53 PM
I have been on enbrel and am currently on humira weekly. Also on daily prednisone and prescription naproxen 500mg twice daily. It is expensive (Humira is about $750 a shot and I get mine by the month and copay is $30. So, yes, thank God for insurance!

chrily
01-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Robin, I haven't been on here for a few days but I just read your post about Enbrel and Humira not helping you. I know my doctor said my next step up would be with Remicade probably used in conjunction with probably methotrexate. Knock on wood...the methotrexate still works.

Although I've been off my meds for a couple weeks due to a nasty upper respiratory infection. I have just been taking Relafin for the inflammation. Not doing too bad right now....

Christina

carvinmom
01-27-2007, 01:01 AM
I suffer with Ra and Fibro ... we all know lifestyle. Right now im waiting for two weeks to see the orth.. to see if i tore a cartlidge in my knee. So im layed up with a ice pack and no exercise but for my carving.
What i wander at times is ther foods out there that help with RA and dieting at the same time.. this xtra weight is killing me.. i will be in a wheel chair soon if i dont get some of this weight off. Ive got a plan started and i have been successful but always failed... i cant this time and it has to be for a permanant loss . A loss that will make me capable of walking more and doing steps again and being able to enjoy some sort of freedom from chronic pain........ i dont mean i will never be what i use to be but it would be nice to be able to function again and smile again......
I know how you feel and maybe i can lend some support also...anyone read a good book lately ....

chrily
01-27-2007, 01:39 AM
Carvinmom, That's my concern too. I'm worried about what joint damage that my weight is causing too.

What kind of books do you like? I read a ton of stuff. Let me know and I can give you some good reading ideas. :D

Christina

carvinmom
01-28-2007, 03:36 AM
Robin, Welcome................
im new here also . So hope im posting this right. i just wanted to say you have sure been through the wringer. It takes a lot of courage and extreme will to keep going at times, and i see youve done it. Not easily im sure. I was wandering how your doing with the infusions.. i just started my enbrel shots and i think i will end up with the infusions eventually. Im trying to get insurance to help me finally.. Its amazing how youve kept your weight down so good and not just curled up on the couch. What kinds of food to you eat and do you have any that you believe help your arthritis ? The horse idea im going to send to my daughter who recently had a brain injury.

carvinmom
01-28-2007, 04:06 AM
Christina,
the books im reading mostly now are foods and polymyalgia/arthritis. trying to find anything that will help the pain go away. Somethings got to help , just looking for answers keeps my mind going.When i have a good day i like to read about folkart, native american art, and how the old timers use to survive without all the new fangled technology. It gives me ideas to woodcarve when my hands are working at the time. Also study ROCKS and polish them.

Well, all,
Im on the meth,pred,enbrel,ultram,etc etc and nothins helping so im thinking what about biofeedback or something on that order. Anyone ever try something other then medsssssss and more medssss. Also, how about some diet ideas, whats been a good recipe youve tried lately. Im trying to stay off sugar for two weeks to see what the change will do with my RA.........

Ciaran60
01-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Carvinmom,

I haven't had any issues with infusions other than the fact that I basically have one vein in my left arm that they can draw off of (all the veins in the right arm are gone from all the childhood draws). So as long as that vein holds out....otherwise they have to go for feet/legs/neck which they despise doing. If you find you have gone the gamut with enbrel/humira/remicade and no relief, I would see if there are any research programs available. Doing something is better than nothing and I don't mind being a guinea pig for new drugs.

Dietwise I really haven't found anything that has hurt/helped. I know there is plenty of research out there regarding elimating the nightshade family so you could try that (ie potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers). I tried but it made no difference. I am doing the south beach diet right now and feel like its very well balanced and definitely feel better on it.

I have used accupuncture at various times for pain relief. I usually go if my pain is out of control instead of upping pain meds (withdrawal off of pain meds sucks as I found out after my shoulders blew out and I prefer not to go that route again). I would definitely check out the biofeedback if you have that available. I know it has helped alot of folks out with channeling away some of that pain.

Hang in there!

~Robin

carvinmom
01-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Howdy,
Looks like we all have different ways of handling our RA. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow to see what there going to do with my blown out knee. This is going to be a Orthap instead of a Rheumy.. hmmm. Might have some different ideas of what to do with my bones all grinding in this cold cold montana. Suppose to get down to 15 below!!. I recently found out there is a huge different in weather and pain. Went to florida to see folks and felt so good. I could bend and even walk without my cane. Came back here and froze up getting off the plane. What really is the difference?
Got my South Beach going and just eating in moderation to start it off. IM really tired of diets and plans, been doing it all my life. I want to go fishing this spring and dont want to pack this xtra bundle of flab with me. Would rather carry rocks as i go along, love to cut rocks and make jewelry.
I really like this group, everyones so friendly and helpful. I needed some good support to keep me going, i was about ready to spit nails!! Hows the rest of you doing in this changing weather?

Ciaran60
02-01-2007, 08:52 PM
It's funny but I don't have any issues with cold weather (lived in Alaska for 10 years) but did find that my triggers are storm fronts (when the pressure is changing). Living in the Seattle area has been interesting this winter since November/December was just one storm front after another. I end up "gimping" up and not moving by dinner time when its like this (assuming I ever get moving...lol).

Good luck Carvinmom with the orthopod!

~Robin

chrily
02-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Carvinmom,
Hey I just noticed you live in Montana too! :) Where about are you? I'm in the big city of Billings. That's neat to find someone else to commisserate with me about RA that isn't hundreds of miles away.

If you want some good books on RA, check out the arthritis foundation website. I ordered books from there and they are loaded with information.

Gonna go find some dinner to cook. Then its off to homework land again....

Christina

Misskitty1026
04-04-2008, 11:09 AM
butterfly50,
you might be able to get helthfirst for him. i also know my doctor told me that if my insurance didn't cover the enbrel they might be able to give it to me through an IV drip at the doctors office- i dont knwo if this helps at all.
- jenn

tdiprincess
04-05-2008, 04:23 PM
hi there,
I just went to the Dr yesterday. I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, but he thinks I have some form of rheumatism. i have a family history of Fibromyalgia also. I've been taking short bike rides when I'm feeling better and also dancing a little bit. I can dance for about 20 mins, I take a break and then I continue on.
Any other suggestions?
Is there anyone who has moved to a warmer climate, has that helped at all?

jasmine987
04-23-2008, 01:41 PM
I was reading in the news about a month ago that eating a vegan diet can ease symptoms of RA here is the article I found, I hope it may be of some help.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSL1887001320080318?feedType=RSS&feedName=healthNews

Ann1231
04-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Jasmine, I think a vegan diet helps some but for me, it didn't help that much. I'm back on prednisone with a huge flare going so I don't know what to do anymore. I'm on mtx and plaquenil already. I have a rheumy appt. Monday and I'm sure Enbrel will be brought up in the conversation again. I'm fighting it though!

Personally I have found that starchy foods really hurt me. Don't know if that will help anyone else or not...
Ann

purplepansy912
05-14-2008, 11:50 AM
hello everyone
I was just dx last week. My rheumatoid factor was very high and blood work excluded everything else, my hands wrists are the worse and my whole body is stiff.... I have alot of weight to lose. My rhuema doctor told me to exercise, walking is the best... I have a job i'm on my feet all day, I come home and I'm stiff as a bored...