General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 12:42 PM   #1  

Default Childcare....what do you know?

I know this is an issue that affects lots of people but I know very little about it.

I have two kids 8 and 14 and have never paid for childcare in my life.

What I need is parttime help. I need someone each morning for about 4 hours.....to get my kids off to school, breakfast, make lunches, prep supper, tidy and maybe one big job a day.

What is that kind of help worth? and what do you think my chances are of getting it?

This is for the fall.

If someone locally had an interest in coordinating childcare I bet they would make a fortune.....I bet people would pay almost anything for good care. It is just finding people that would be interested.

I would really appreciated any insights, advice or experiences regarding same.

Thanks in advance.

L
Old 05-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #2  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Don't know what your kids' capabilities are, but can your 14 year old do some of that? Perhaps there are medical or other reasons why s/he can't, but if not, s/he could make breakfast while the 8 year old sets the table (and clears the dishes after) and makes beds while you prep supper.

You've gotten this far. I wonder if you could make it all the way if you just shift some of the responsibilities a bit. Don't try to do it all yourself.

It's also good for the kids. Eventually, barring issues I'm not aware of, they'll need to be independent enough to live outside your home. They'll need to know how to cook, clean, do laundry, manage money, manage time... all skills you can start working on now.

As I said, though, there may be extenuating circumstances -- I couldn't tell from your post.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #3  

Well I pretty much count on my 14 year old to do the after school stuff. She is there before my 8 year old by about an hour.......she does the dishes, get's snack organized and watches her until we get home. She is in charge of keeping her room and bathroom clean as well as the hamster cage. She does have extracurricular things as well as school she is responsible for.

I guess I just like the idea of someone seeing my kids off in the morning. My 14 year old catches her bus an hour earlier than my 8 year old........so there is that issue, as well as monitoring last minute issues, such as someone is ill, etc. My kids would be expected to help with breakfast lunch and getting themselves out the door absolutely.

The bottom line is I am going to be working more and I need someone manageing my home so I am not coming home after work picking up the pieces, throwing supper together, tidying etc.

I am all for my kids being independent just not completely self sufficent.

L
Old 05-21-2006, 03:06 PM   #4  
Healthy Living

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'5"

Cost will depend on where you live. I charge $20 a day for babysitting 6-8 hours for a lady whose child I had in my Mother's Day Out program this year. I pay $20 or $6 per hour whichever is more for teens to babysit for me!

If you're in the 'burbs, check with neighbors who have children in the same school about having your youngest come over to their house in the morning when sis leaves. Perhaps check with local churches or schools, it sounds like the perfect part-time job for a hi-school or college teen.

It's good that you're starting early to get this set up.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Maybe what you're really looking for is a housekeeper who would send your kids off to school safely. Does it make any difference if you think about it that way?
Old 05-21-2006, 03:33 PM   #6  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Ah I hadn't considered kids being on different schedules from one another and from you. Makes thing more complex, for sure.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #7  
Addicted to potato salad!

Our school system (I think it's the whole county) has somethign called SACC (School Age Child Care). It's sponsored by the YMCA and it costs about $50 for the week. It opens at 6am until school opens and the kids go right to their classrooms from the SACC room. SACC is right in the school...they eat breakfast there, as well. Then, the SACC room reopens after school until 6pm...they have snack there (they usually make it themselves...they teach them cooking as an enrichment activity) do their homework, play games and hang out with their SACC friends until mom or dad picks them up. $50 a day covers both before and after school, but there are lower rates if you only need before OR after, as well. Check it out and see if SACC is in your childs school. Of course, your 14 year old would probably not want to be seen having a sitter...but it would work for the younger one.

Good luck!!
Old 05-21-2006, 08:00 PM   #8  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I work part time doing pretty much what you're needing - I work for a woman with a four year old, and I go in the mornings to help get the daughter ready for the day (breakfast, brushing teeth, dressing, etc.) and then stay after they've left to tidy up and do cleaning (floors, laundry, bathroom - whatever needs doing that day) and i walk the dog three times a week. I'm paid $10/hr (Canadian $), and have worked for them for about 3 1/2 years. I'm also flexible to just babysit if she needs to stay home from playschool for some reason.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:32 PM   #9  

That is exactly what I need.........I'll give you 15!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

L
Old 05-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #10  
Follow Me to Onederland!

S/C/G: 284~278~150

I did just a few hours for someone each day, and she paid me $100 a week or $7 an hour. I was responsible for helping get the 4 year old dressed. I was 98% responsible for the baby (who will be 2 this august...yikes!). The only thing that wasn't expected with of me with the baby was nursing him. I fed him other meals. I did dishes. I vacuumed the house. I cleaned the cat box. I picked up toys. I was basically a nanny/housekeeper. Hth.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:27 AM   #11  

Try putting an ad in the paper. I suspect there are lots of people looking for the kind of flexible work you've described but aren't sure where to look for it. The hard part will be weeding through/interviewing all of the applicants. Also, check the classifieds for people who have put ads for themselves in the paper. I see "work wanted" ads for babysitters/housekeepers all of the time.

Call some of your local daycares. Many of them have employees who work parttime afternoon shifts but need additional income - your morning schedule would be perfect for someone like that. I've gotten lots of great babysitters that way.

Is there a college or Jr. college nearby? Put fliers on campus. Many college students need extra income and can usually arrange their class schedule around part-time work.

All of these people will likely have a salary requirement (probably negotiable) based on their experience. Find out how much they charge and work from there.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #12  

Some great ideas! Thanks everyone.

This summer I will be busy getting my house to baseline......I think it is falling into place.

L
Old 05-22-2006, 02:15 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I second the college idea, especially if you have a college nearby with a Child Development or Human Development major. You can post in the office for that major, and college students who need extra income will come flocking, both for the childcare experience and for the money. And as an added bonus, these are kids taking classes in child development, so they are more educated about children than your average high school student babysitter. Most are very negotiable on rates, as well, as they need the experience and chose the major they are in because they love working with children.

I was a human development major - most of the people in the program planned to be teachers or be involved with children after graduation, and they were some of the most child-friendly, compassionate, and lovely people I've ever known - and they really care about kids!

Amanda
Old 05-22-2006, 02:31 PM   #14  

I will start advertising now in our local paper and check out where I can post at the local college .

L
Old 05-23-2006, 09:01 PM   #15  

I am a nanny full time with a family. I watch the children all day and do light cleaning. I also cook the children breakfast and lunch. I charge 10 dollars an hour plus 5 dollars a day for drive time (it takes me 45 min to get there in rush hour traffic). That price is pretty average for someone with pretty extensive experience with children at least in my area.

Check your telephone book for babysitting agencies, I worked at one of these for awhile. Or maybe even Nanny agencies who find nannies for private homes. Also I second the college idea. If you have a major university anywhere near you I would advertise in their newspaper. That is what a lot of the families do here. Craigslist is also good if you live near a major city.

Good luck!
Closed Thread