Old 05-20-2006, 12:41 PM   #1  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

Default Breakfast at McDonalds

Right now I am about to sit down to a nice, big McDonald's breakfast. Let's see, I have 2 egg mcmuffins and a breakfast burrito. That comes to 900 calories, and I don't feel guilty, I'm not panicked.

Why? Because I walked to McDonalds and back to get it. That's about a 2.7 mile walk round trip, and at my weight I burned about 600 cals. The hour I used to do this was one that I usually spend watching TV, so these are completely bonus calories (and I'm enjoying every bite!).

I just thought this was a great reminder that our cars are just as fattening as our couches.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #2  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Good for you, Andoroth, for taking a nice long walk! That's great!

If I were you, however, I might take another look at the calories burned. 600 calories seems a little high for an hour's walk. At least it does to my untrained eye.

I'm proud of you you for doing the walk. And I agree that our dependence on cars plays some part in this whole picture. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, I just wanted to ask you to take another look at the calories burned so you don't get an unpleasant surprise.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #3  

Actually, 600 cals is an underestimate: I live on a 3-mile-wide strip of land between a mountain range and the pacifc ocean. None of the streets are even near flat, and it's quite a workout, let me tell you! 640 cals is what I get from the cal estimators I use (I average several together) at my weight, and I'm pretty sure that those are considering the walk to be a lot flatter then mine. Don't worry, I know the estimators are far from accurate, that's why I always round down and throw away any grade considerations.

It's working for me so far.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:21 PM   #4  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

Well good for you. I agree with Less of Lena. I run/walk for 30 mins a day and only burn 280 calories. Take another look at your calories burned. Great job on the walking though!
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #5  
Embracing My New Normal

Yeah, I was considering walking on a flat, firm surface. And yes, indeed, iwhat you're doing and the way you're calculating is definitely workin' for ya! And that's the bottom line!

Good job, my friend! You're aces!
Old 05-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #6  

280 x 2 = 560. Now, carry 2 50lb bags of dog food. (I weigh 306 lbs). Believe me, you get to 600 cal very easily.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #7  

Oh, and I do want to clarify something important here:

This was only for 1 meal, on a Saturday where I felt like having a special treat. I DO NOT advocate this as a life-long dietary regime. This is the first time in a while I've had a bit of a "splurge", and I am just very happy that I was able to find a way to do so semi-sensibly.

I'm looking at how I will live for the rest of my life, and I really want to have all kinds of options- including the option to have a "Big Ol' Breakfast" every once in a while. I guess what I am advocating is that too often we think of exercise as a unit of time that goes from x o'clock to y o'clock each day. By incorporating more calorie-burning activities through-out our days, we can really broaden our options, and maybe become less terrified of calories.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I've done a couple of different calculators and I've gotten as low as 425 and as high as 600 (when the walk is faster and uphill), but all of these calculators agree that I would burn 200 less calories if I went for that same walk. BUT I don't put much stock in calorie burned calculators, and I'm especially wary of the one on my treadmill because it's such a difficult thing to measure. There are factors they don't take into account: environmental temperature, your BMR, level of hydration, etc . . . They are very ROUGH estimates at best. That's why no one has come up with a universal weight loss mathematical formula. It just isn't possible.

BUT I'm not meaning to burst your bubble or anything. I know that you burned a lot of calories. People who are over 300 have tremendous metabolisms, and as you said, that very well could be an underestimate.

And as far as walking to Mcdonalds to get breakfast ~ a tactic I never employed, BUT I'm going to give you my personal experience ~ the longer I absolutely abstained from it, the cravings lessened and then they virtually disappeared. And mind you, I used to eat at Mcdonalds 5-6 times a week on average, but most days I ate there EVERY DAY.

I'm not telling you what to do or anything, because weight loss works best when we find what works for us, and if it works for you, great going and best of luck!!!
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:36 PM   #9  
Embracing My New Normal

I think I get what you're saying, Andoreth. For me, it would be very disheartening to think of a lifetime of never again having a "Big Ol' Breakfast". Or a glazed doughnut. Or a slice of birthday cake. But that's me; for other people, completely eliminating certain foods is the way it'll work for them long term.

I think you and I are alike, Andoreth, in not wanting to make any particular food (or food group) a demon. Personally, I like to think just about any foods can have a place in my lifelong diet, even the occasional Big Ol' Breakfast (or whatever). It's just for my particular body, some foods will have to have a bigger place than others.

Not sure I'm expressing myself very well here...
Old 05-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #10  

Height: 5' 8.5"

I understand what you're saying and if something's working for you great! I kind of do the same as you. The thought of having to cut out the foods that I enjoy just doesn't work for me. I end up feeling deprived and then I blow it! For me, if I want something I probably should'nt have, I have it, then through a combination of exercise and cutting some calories throughout the day, I make up for it. I'm not saying that I do this daily, but it's nice to know I can if it's a special occasion or I feel I want a treat.

Congrats on your progress! You're doing great!
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #11  

Wow, I started this as a "let's not drive everywhere" thread, and it's turned into a "how many calories did I burn" thread, but I guess that is okay.

Distance (GMAPS): 2.7621 miles, semi-hilly, street and sidewalk/walking. Time 1 hour including the time it took to place and recieve order. I weigh 306 lbs as of this morning.

by distance:
GMAPS Pedomitor estimate: 639 cals

by time (about 3mph):
Fitness Partner's Activity Calculator: 602 cals
Weight By Date: 614 cals
Calorie Control Council: 605 cals
my gym's treadmill: 610 cals

average: 614 cals
(I do appoligize earlier for stating average was 640-obviously that was the high, and I mis-remembered the number.)

Other calculators: probably list different amounts. I use these because 1) they were the first that came up last December when I used Google to search for calorie calculators or 2) they are equipment that I use. I am happy with the estimates they give me, and I've lost 57 lbs in the last 5 months while relying (with one eye open) on the information they give me.

Now, as to the suggestion that I was giving into a craving. Lol, well, I certainly have a great fortitude to walk so far for a silly craving! No, this was a thought out and planned treat. My SO and I used to have this meal EVERY Saturday (actually, it was even bigger, since I had a hashbrown and sausage mcmuffins -there's a reason I weigh so much!)(In my SO's defense, she's always had less-and weighs less too.) She was up late last night, and I wanted to surprise her with an old fav we haven't had in a long time. But, I wanted to do so in a way that reflects a balanced view towards over-all health.

I only posted this here because every once in a while I see a post by someone decrying that they can never again have some special treat that they used to love. Well, why not make that special treat an event that incorporates both the treat AND enough exercise to "pay" for it.

Will I be able to do this again once I weigh 200 lbs? Probably not, unless I move another 2 miles away from McDonalds. Will I do this next week? No. Do I worry that I might have missed the math and eaten a net 500 cal breakfast instead of 300? No. Did I enjoy my walk, and my breakfast, and the smile my SO gave me? Yes.

Last edited by andoreth; 05-20-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #12  

Thanks Less of Lena and Djstorey. The last 5 1/2 months have been so easy and fun for me! I've started cooking a lot more than I used to, and am teaching myself how to make all of my favorite fast-food dishes at home, and at much lower calorie counts with better taste! (A favorite example is my recipe for Runzas- if you know what they are, you know how happy I am to be able to make these at home, and at only 250 cals each!)

Also, I've really had fun with my exercise. My SO and I are playing racquetball a lot- we are going in a few minutes on a whim, actually, even though this is my "rest" day, and we've been taking a lot of hikes and walks. I adore my gym, and am just so pleased with my progress there.

I don't think I could do this at all if I had a "can't" and "must" attitude. I'm too stubborn, with too much of the only-child mindset. I wasn't unhappy while I was gaining this weight, and I refuse to let myself be unhappy while I lose it.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I do apologize for assuming you had been giving into a craving, but like I said before, hey I'm not going to tell someone not to do something that obviously works for them!! And it does work for you, so more power to you. And what a lovely surprise for your girlfriend (isn't it strange that people who eat less weigh less ) I thought you just might be struggling with those overwhelming cravings I used to have for Mcdonald's. And I do agree with you that balance is important. For example, I ate like a mad woman yesterday and today, I have to work out like a mad woman to balance that out.

Oh, and I absolutely agree with you about not driving everywhere either!! You actually made my think about walking to the grocery store today (now I've just got to do it!)
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #14  
Embracing My New Normal

Sadly for me, I can't really walk anywhere in particular because we don't live close to anywhere! The closest McDonalds's is, I think a little over 5 miles away (I'll have to map it out). The closest supermarket is over 3 miles away. The closest anything (besides a school and a church) is over 3 miles away.

So, when I walk from home, it's more of a walk around the subdivision and surrounding streets kind of thing. I'd love to have a real destination, but, oh well!
Old 05-20-2006, 06:02 PM   #15  

Hmm, well, according to GMAPs, 10 miles (5 out and back) at your listed weight equals a little over 1700 cals.

You could have 4 egg mcmuffins and 2 breakfast burritos for a net 70 cals!

Okay, maybe it's better to follow the spirit of my experience, not the letter!