Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-19-2006, 12:13 PM   #1  
cha

S/C/G: 228/142/125

Talking 1 month to go!!

It's almost time for my PS!!!!! Oh wowsers, I am sooooooo freaking out!!! I go in for my bloodwork in 2 weeks, and I pick up my prescriptions in 3 weeks, and I go in for my PS in 4 WEEKS!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOO I am gonna dance right outta my pants!!! Sorry all, I just had to say something!! Or my mind is gonna pop!!! Still havent told anyone what I am doing yet. Just the people who will be taking care of me for the first few weeks. I am so ready for this!!!!!! Thanks all, for listening to me ramble on and on.
cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:56 PM   #2  
Angela

S/C/G: 275/260/150?

I know you've got to be excited! Congrats!
CJsPrincess816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:36 PM   #3  

Default Congrats! and ???

Cha,
Congrats! I know that's exciting for you! I'm about to go in for Open RNY on Wed. and looking at your "stats", you "were" about the same weight that I am now... so I'm curious about what PS procedures you are having done?? and what WLS did you have?? I am hoping to avoid PS by working out as I lose weight, but being at such a high weight now, it may be inevitable.... I'm sure not everything will not "go" back into place as I hope for...

Any advice you have is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Sher
Sher43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:54 AM   #4  

Cha - Congratulations on getting ready for PS!!! You have made such progress, you deserve this!

Tweet!
tweet-tweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:01 AM   #5  
cha

Thanks all!!
Sher, no WLS!! I did it on my own. Been dieting for 20 months now!! And lemme tell ya tis been ****!!! But I did it without help. Never thought I could either, but it is possible. Ya just gotta stick with it and be positive. However, if I couldve afforded a band or bypass, I wouldve done it. My insurance was not cooperative at all!!! So, had no choice, it was either do it alone, or stay at that weight!! I chose to lose it alone. As far as my PS, I am just having a tummy tuck with a small section of lipo on my upper tummy. Doc says hes gonne remove 4-5 lbs!!!! SHEESH!!! Think about it this way: I am gonna have a 5 lb sack of potatoes removed from my gutt!!! Thats a lot ehhh?? YUP YUP!!!! Hoping it will all work out for me in the end. Kinda scared about the recovery time, but I know it will be worth it!! I worked my tail off trying to keep from having PS. No matter though. My skin got so badly stretched from having five kids back to back!!! My skin wouldve never bounced back!!! I have to have the TT in order to slim up my waisteline. My arms got smaller, and even my hips. But not my tummy or my thighs!! Theres so much excess skin hanging around those two places, its awful!!! I cant even look at myself without wanting to cry!!! I couldnt afford to have both prcedures dont. So, I had to chose bewteen having slimmer thighs, or having a slimmer waisteline. Naturally, I wanted to be able to have a flat tummy and new belly button!! So maybe, a few years from now, after this surgery is paid off, I will be able to go have the thighs fixed!! LOL, never know!! Anyhooooo, thanks again for the nice words!! I am so ready!!!!!!! DAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! hehehehe
Old 05-23-2006, 10:59 AM   #6  

Cha - Can I be a bit nosey?

I'm impressed that you did it on your own! Is this the first diet you went on, or did something finally click for you? If so, what? I was considering trying on my own, but I went to a WLS seminar, and found the idea very depressing. Basically, the doctor said that trying on my own, I had less than a 3% chance of keeping it off. That, and I've tried to loose this weight twice before, and kept falling off the bandwagon. Sometimes, I think that if I got it off, maybe I would then want to keep it off and work harder? I don't know, but was wondering what it was that gave you the willpower/ability to do it.

When you say you'd have wanted the surgery... is that just for the diet part, or for the long term maintence part? Now that you have the weight off, are you glad you didn't have the surgery? Or, is it harder to stay at this weight?

Again, sorry for being nosey!

My insurance will pay for 50% of the surgery IF I go on 6 months of medical diet... and at the end of that, it needs to be shown that diet doesn't work for me. I'm trying to figure out what to do... Part of me wants to go on the diet, but not work hard at it (if I do too well, then they won't pay for the surgery unless I start regaining weight, and I'm tired of yo-yoing). Part of me wants to go on the diet and really try and see if I can avoid surgery. And, another part of me says that I shouldn't put myself through the insurance hoops, take out a larger loan and get the surgery now.

Anyways... any insight to how you did it would be helpful.

Tweet
PS- you said you had 5 kids back to back... you do have major stretch marks? IF so, what is PS going to do with that? I had twins, so I have MAJOR stretch marks. My tummy looks like a pink zebra. LOL!
tweet-tweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #7  
cha

Hiya Tweet!! Yes, I had 5 kids back to back. One set was twins. I have very bad stretch marks!! VERY BAD!!! The doctor said that when he does the TT, he is going to take off all of the stretch marks from the belly button down. The marks I have above the bb will be pulled down and made into my new tummy. Therefore, you will still be able to see some of them, but they wont be as dark as they are now. After about a year, they will be almost transparent. I wanted to have wls badly. But I new I could take the weight off myself. I have never lost this much weight before, but I have lost about 50 lbs before. It was just that everytime I lost it, I got pregnant again!! So, this time around, I had a tubal ligation to ensure when I lost my weight, I would NOT get pregnant again. My motivation came from all kinds of places. What I looked like, how I felt, my sleepiness, my inability to play with my kids. All of it. Plus, my kids do love me but they constantly told me how big I was and that I needed to go on a diet to get "skinny" again. Then when I did get skinny, they started in on my hanging skin!!! They called it "mommy's floam"!!!! GRRRRRRR!!! Well, I am very proud of how far I've come. But I am still not satisfied with the way I look. It's not hard to keep the weight off. I decided to be in this for the long haul. So, I watch what I eat, and exercise a few times a week. Just to keep it off. When I go up a few lbs., I just work a little harder to lose it again. I am not at the weight I want to be at, but I am satisfied with the weight I am at. I dont look anorexic, nor do I look heavy. I just have a ton of excess skin left. So the PS is for me only. I want to do it so I can be happy with me. And no, I really dont think that the wls wouldve did any good for me. I did want it, yes. But now, looking back, it was better for me to do it on my own. I feel proud of myself for what I have done. But I wont lie to you, it has been a very long and hard road!! Many times I really didnt think I would ever get to where I am now!!! I had a lot of modd swings and a lot of disappointments along the way. But my family kept me going. Hope this helps you. Everyone is different. You have to decide for yourself what you think is best for you. Good luck with that decision!!! I will be rooting for you!!