General Diet Plans and Questions - Body for Life #15

View Full Version : Body for Life #15

susanje
08-15-2001, 03:45 AM
Wow!!! Number FIFTEEN!!!

You go girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm doing okay. Visited the dr today and I have a list of blood tests a mile long to have taken the next couple of days. I'm still feeling horribly lethargic but plugging away. Not up to 10s on my gym routines but I'm doing what I can without falling asleep under the leg press. :D

Food is good and I'm preparing for school next week (YUCK!) I don't WANT my summer to be over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope everyone is well!
Susan

ShelleyM
08-15-2001, 06:44 AM
SJ-Nice to hear from you! Hope everything turns out well.

Sil-Thanks for the article! I'm going to read it this afternnoon when I get home from work.

I'm exploring this NHE thing. I've asked the NHE board what it's about. Do any of you know? Looks like lower carbs than normal.

Compared my pictures side by side. The main difference I see is my butt might be a little higher. Front pics look the same, side a bit different.

This working out at 3:30AM is getting to me. Yesterday I did my cardio after work at 5:30, then this morning hit the weights. I don't know how long I will be able to keep up the morning workouts. After my 1st challenge is over, I might have to do all my workouts in the afternoons.

Have a great day!

2BFIT1
08-15-2001, 09:58 AM
Good Morning Gals!

Susanje~~I'm so glad that you are back but I'm sorry that you are feeling under the weather.

Shelley~~~I'm glad you got the article. I still can't decide if I want to do PT or BFL this next 12 weeks. I have some physical limitations right now, so I might have to make some minor adjustments to either program in order to get the end results that I want. I also posted on L&S about the NHE~I don't know anything about it, except it looks like low carb/high-mod fat.
My DH is going to take my C1 after/C2 before pics tomorrow, so I'll be able to compare them on Friday :eek:

I might post them on L&S when my scanner works and once I figure out how to size them correctly in order to post.

To everybody else~You're all doing a great job!!! Keep it up :D
~~~Sil

MrsJim
08-15-2001, 12:46 PM
Can't keep up with you gals...

Today I'm feeling a bit under the weather. Just woke up today feeling blahhh, dizzy, nauseous...of course sister Jen (when I called her this morning) is automatically assuming I'm pregnant! Yeah riiiight... Personally I think it's because I stayed up pretty late (11 p.m. - I usually hit the hay before 10) watching a Jaclyn Smith movie on Lifetime.

I did do my UBWO anyway, hitting 10's faster than usual - mostly because I was feeling so icky :(

Oh, yesterday during my 20 MAS I did what Steve L and QZ on L&S said - keep the resistance on the elliptical LOW and hit your 10's that way...their thoughts were that if you up the resistance on the elliptical you are actually giving yourself a LBWO rather than a cardio workout. So I did that on Tuesday and it really wore me out! Trying to keep the intensity up on low resistance is incredibly hard. Guess it's back to wearing my heart rate monitor now - I was just using perception.

Sil - good luck with the scanner - if it's an HP, shouldn't be too hard to figure out - I'm still trying to figure out how to reduce photo sizes on digital pix!!

I don't know anything about the NHE - I'll have to look into that. Right now, BFL is working for me and it's actually getting easier each week staying clean as far as eating goes! Unlike many others who post on L&S that they have a ton of menus they like to make, I'm more of a KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!) person. I like my staples - cottage cheese, fruit, chicken breasts, brown rice mixes, spinach, mushrooms, carrots, and Myo Lite for the most part. As Michael Fumento says "Variety is the Spice of Overeating!" I save the yum-yums for Free Day!

Shelley -- you're working out at 3:30 a.m.?!? You go girl! I thought I was a wild woman, getting up at 4:15 a.m. I know that working out in the morning is best, but as long as you're doing it at a time that works for you, that's what really matters, right??

SJ - Don't be a stranger!! We all miss you when you're gone - we're all here to support each other, right??

Tonight Jim and I are going to the Fair to see Brian Setzer (of the Stray Cats). Can't believe he's doing fair shows when he could be packing 'em into the big places....Jim says though that the fair circuit is pretty lucrative - gigs are short and begin and end earlier than regular ones - and acts tend to get a lot more exposure as well. His band may be doing some Bay Area fair gigs next year...that would be fun to see...

susanje
08-16-2001, 12:05 AM
Hi everyone,

MrsJ: I am trying to not be a stranger. Sorry. :(

I do pop in here and read and am so inspired by how everyone is doing. I have just been dragging so much...........but I'm starting to feel a bit better. I am hoping it is hormonal and there is a cure. My dr said chronic fatigue syndrome and I almost bit her head off. CFS is not something one in law school wants to be hearing. She mentioned some kind of blood disease and I found myself rooting for THAT. :lol: Anything but CFS. As a former psych clinician, I've had my doubts that it's a real thing but my dr. tells me it is. I'll take anything over that.

My food is better and my workouts are Sloooooooooooooooowly getting better. I am fasting for 14 hours for these blood tests so that's horrid but they will be done by saturday.

I did buy the crock pot I talked about on L&S and tonight's dinner was so yummy........I put in too much liquid I think but I can have a really good dinner waiting for me when I get home...that is GREAT. I hate preparing all these different things........I also got a rice cooker and I like them for the nights when I'm using the Foreman for meat. My kitchen counter looks like gadget central but I believe that easy prep is KEY to success.

I'll be checking in more.......I promise!!!!!!!!
Susan

susanje
08-16-2001, 11:16 AM
Shelley,

NHE is lower carb but it is supposed to be scientific and well-timed. Like BFL it is six small meals and emphasizes weight training and cardio. The eating plan is different in that, like Atkins, it has an "induction" period where you restict carbs for a week and go to high protein and fat. Unlike Atkins NHE emphasizes the good fats (Udos etc) but you can still use cream and that sort of thing. Also unlike Atkins there is no "all you can eat" mentality.

On the regular plan I believe you eat low carb for 3 days then the next 2 days you "carbo load" for your last 2 meals of the day and then return to the 3 day high protein/low carb. I think that your carbs are less than 20 or 30 a day when you are low carbing.

I know that weight trainers try to have most of their carbs in the morning so this is the opposite. I've heard it works well but you must be absolutely strict about your carbs except at your carbo loading meals. It's supposed to be an exact thing. When you are on high protein you can have regular cheeses but when you're on carbs you have to go low fat. It's been difficult for me to completely understand it but I have heard it works.

I am unclear that I could do it but I've looked into it several times. I burnt out on low carb diets and tend to dislike them.
I used to love omelets and can't look at them after Atkins. Your mileage may vary.

:)
Susan

2BFIT1
08-17-2001, 12:36 AM
What settings did you end up using for your MAS/HIIT ? I read the same posts. Actually, I was the one to ask the question because I didn't feel that I could get a good HIIT by using a high resistance (can't go fast enough). I was thinking of using Incline12 with a resistance of 6-7. So, what did you use and did it help?
BTW~tomorrow starts C2 for me. I can't wait. I wasn't very happy with the results I got this last challenge. You can read my "whine" post on L&S (under Periodization message board) and I made a promise to myself not to whine any more.
But I am back with a vengence!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShelleyM
08-17-2001, 06:43 AM
Susanje-I got burnt out on Atkins and Stillman's also. I want to research this some more before I think about doing it. I can't invest the $30.00 in the book, so I can only get my information from the L&S board and the links. However, the links don't seem to say a whole lot. It sounds like you really need the book to study the diet. To me, it doesn't sound healthy, but since so many at L&S are on it, there must be something to it. I have not been happy with my progress on Bill's diet.

Mrs. J- Arnold's book finally came in the library. You need to be a weight lifter just to carry it!

Sil-Good luck on starting C2!

2BFIT1
08-17-2001, 09:30 AM
HAPPY FRIDAY ! ! !

C2W1D1~~~YEAH ! ! !

Shelley~~~I need to shake things up a bit this time around and I am taking Nath's advice (from L&S on the PT board). She has added more cardio to her exercise program and she has modified her diet also. On her cardio days she has a low cal/low carb day and on her WO days she eats a higher cal/higher carb diet. She said this has really made the difference. Check out her profile on the Periodization Training board. Now that I think of it, she might be on the Quad Squad team board. I'll check and let you know.

BTW~why don't you and Mrs Jim join the Quad Squad! All you have to do is go to the team board and click on the email address at the bottom of the Quad Squad section and ask to join. They will email you the secret link address to access the QS message board. Hope to see ya there! :D
~~~Sil

2BFIT1
08-17-2001, 09:37 AM
I just checked and Nath is on the Quad Squad boards and you can only access her posts if you join the team (free).
But here is her Fitday public journal link. Check it out!
http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?owner=Nath%28QuadSquad%29

MrsJim
08-17-2001, 10:43 AM
Busy day yesterday - editing papers for my meeting which starts in three weeks - Jim and I leave 1 Sept for Ontario!

And today our division goes on our Summer Outing to Angel Island (located in San Francisco Bay between SF and Marin). Haven't been there in years. I was tempted to bring my bike but don't want to risk damaging it on the bus - besides we've rented the whole fleet of bikes on the island.

I checked with the admin who is organizing the whole thing and THANK GOODNESS there will be CLEAN food available (chicken, veggies, etc) amongst the junk. I'm toting an MRB with me anyway just in case. Since it's a Myo Lite bar (YUK!) I will only be consuming it if it's a DIRE emergency...

Had a terrific UBWO and a gal who I haven't seen in a month or so came up to me and said that I looked GREAT! :D Since it's hard for me to see any progress myself, hearing that from others is a big boost.

Tomorrow is the last day of C2W4 and I'm going to measure and take photos this weekend. I don't know if I want to weigh myself though. Honestly I don't think I've lost that many pounds but I definitely feel less jiggly and STRONGER.

Sil - On my 20 MAS I started like QZ said, on resistance level 1 but had to pop it up to 5. I do need SOME resistance to get my heart rate going (same when I'm riding a bike). The incline was at 11-12 the entire time. On my 10's I was going at around 260 steps per minute. During my 6's I was at around 180--190.

I might join the Quad Squad - I was in Lean4Life but I really enjoy just hanging on the main L&S board mostly.

Shelley - As far as the "Eating-for-Life" program, speaking for myself I probably could be losing weight much faster on another WOE...but I am having no trouble eating clean doing it Bill's way. MY problem is overindulging during Free Day. On Monday I usually feel so icky from overeating the day before...lately it's because Jim has been at band practice during Sunday afternoon, so I clean house and eat by myself. HOWEVER I have stopped the pint of Ben & Jerrys...and the next two weeks Jim has no practice so we can actually go out and about!

Gotta go! See ya gals!

Debbie160
08-17-2001, 12:19 PM
Hi everyone! I just had to let you all know that I am starting to get comments from people that they can see a change in me. I am so excited. Tomorrow is the end of my first 4 weeks and I am going to weigh and measure. I am excited to see the results of the measurements, especially after hearing people's compliments for the past couple of days!!!!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Debbie

2BFIT1
08-17-2001, 02:18 PM
Way to go, Debbie!!!! I'm so happy for you. Keep up the great work.

I have decided that on Free day I will only have one free meal plus only 1 free food item (snack) on that day.
~~~Sil

susanje
08-17-2001, 03:36 PM
Shelley,

There is a guy who posts to the yahoo clubs bfl who follows NHE. His name is Andy and if you email him at neo-reality@home.com he will gladly send you 2 docs - one is NHE explained and one is an authorized food list (he just updated this). I pointed him to the L&S NHE board but I don't know if he will pop in there. He's pretty good about talking about it in private email.

Susan

ShelleyM
08-18-2001, 09:50 AM
SJ-Thanks for the email address. I have alread sent him a note.

Debbie-Good for you! Only 4 weeks into the program and already people are noticing! That's great!

Sil-I am on the LMKKDT already. I don't know if you can be on 2 teams or not. I went to the link you gave me on Nath. I'm gonna check out her profile at L&S. I'm having a bit of a problem with cardio right now because of my hours (maybe this is just an excuse.) I don't think I would be able to increase the cardio just yet! I don't have the energy, especially getting up at 3:30AM to do it!

Mrs.J-Arnold's book is great! The only thing I didn't like was that he said you really can't get the most out of a workout at home. I disagree. At least I'm hoping I can do as good at home as everyone does at the gym. Yesterday I lifted 7700 lbs. That's over 3 tons at 3:30AM!!!!

Talk to ya later!

Debbie160
08-18-2001, 01:08 PM
Hi all! Here are the results of the first 4 weeks of my BFL plan:

Bust: -1.0"
Waist: -1.0"
Hips: -1.0"
Thighs: -0.5" (each)
Upper arms: -0.5" (each)

I also lost 9 pounds. I used the body fat calculation in the Protein Power book (which is basically a formula using your waist and hip measurement as well as your height) and according to that I lost 13 pounds of fat and gained 4 pounds of muscle. Not sure how accurate this body fat method is though.

Anyway, am happy with my results so far!!! :D

Today is a free day for me since I have some plans to go out to eat tonight. Will get back on BFL tomorrow and look forward to more good things in the next 4 weeks!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Debbie

ShelleyM
08-19-2001, 09:00 AM
Debbie-Awesome results for the 1st 4 weeks! I measured today, and no losses, although I feel much tighter in my butt! I can't believe tomorrow starts week 10 for me.

I went to a family get together yesterday on Sanibel, and saw my cousin that I haven't seen in 6 years. She is a personal trainer and has been for many years. Absolutely no fat, and her arm muscles are unbelievable! I couldn't ask her any questions about training, but I am going to get her email address and get some input from her. I was actually too embarrassed to say that I work out with weights, since she is so cut!

Free day today! Enjoy!

MrsJim
08-19-2001, 01:04 PM
It's a gorgeous day out here in the Bay Area!

Debbie - WTG!!! Ya done good, gal! Keep it up! :)

Angel Island on Friday was a BLAST. The weather was perfect. Our company had rented all the bikes on the island and I went on a butt kickin' ride around the island. There are some pretty steep climbs but I just put my bike into granny gear and spun up the hills...Of course most of the food was NOT BFL - the 'continental breakfast' was donuts and pastries. I went down to the cafe and got a fruit salad (just mixed fruit) and then went on my ride. After I got back, there were appetizers set out -- THANK GOODNESS there were cut fresh veggies, so I pigged out on carrots, cukes and jicama slices. There was BBQ chicken and fruit salad at lunch - I peeled off the skin and it was fine. Lots of water too!

Shelley - if you decide to buy Arnold's book (I don't especially agree with him on the "home vs. the gym" but that's his opinion - maybe he feels more inspired around other bodybuilders! - it DOES have a lot of great exercises and tips though) get the PAPERBACK. It only weighs 20 pounds! :dizzy: Check half.com or amazon.com for better prices on used - I bought mine for $13 and it was brand spankin' new.

I've also decided to CALM DOWN on Free day. No more huge breakfasts at Stacks' for awhile anyway. Just had a bagel (plain) and going to have a bowl of Special K (I'm sick 'cos I like that stuff!) in a bit. Later Jim and I are going to a place downtown called Jeffrey's for burgers and fries - after we go up to Canada Road for Bicycle Sunday that is! It's gorgeous out here today!

Also switching my 20 MAS from the Precor to the treadmill. I tried that today and got a MUCH more intense workout on the treadmill. I think my bod's too accustomed to the elliptical since I've been doing it for years!

See ya later gals!

Debbie160
08-19-2001, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the kudos gals! I really feel good about what I have accomplished. I also want to thank you guys for being so positive and upbeat all the time. I started the BFL plan with a friend and she has pretty much not been doing what she should, so you guys are kind of my BFL buddies, since she kinda bailed out on me. It's really helped me to stick with it to hear your positive attitudes and to hear about the accomplishments you guys have made. I may not post that often, but I do come here and read how you guys are doing and I just wanted to make sure you all knew how inspiring you are to me. Thanks again!

Debbie

2BFIT1
08-19-2001, 03:44 PM
Debbie, You're doing a GREAT job!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShelleyM
08-20-2001, 06:35 AM
Free day hangover! But it felt so good not worrying about what I was eating! Back to the grind! Had a great LBWO this am.

MrsJim
08-20-2001, 07:04 PM
Pam B posted her training/motivation/eating plan - what she did to lose 100 pounds and get her bodyfat down from 49% to 5%!

She's posted it as a Word file in the www.leanandstrong.com Training Library as well as on the message board today.

Needless to say I've printed it out and it's going in my BFL binder tonight!!!

Hope everyone's doing great - I feel terrific today. Jim and I passed on our big breakfast...instead I had a bagel and some Special K for brekkie, went bike riding, then had a burger and a shake at a local burger place that was REALLY GOOD.

For dinner, I just bought a sourdough baugette and we ate that along with some peaches and a couple of sausages. Not really a healthy day but not a food fest like my Free Days have been!

Consequently, I'm not feeling nauseated today. Had a great UBWO except for the slobs in my gym who don't put the dumbbells/barbells back. I spent a good 10 minutes today locating dumbbells all over the gym floor and putting them back. The 12.5 dumbbells are gone for good :?:

I'm really looking into getting a set of those PowerBlocks. I saw an ad for them in the new Muscle Media mag and they aren't as expensive as I thought! Plus they don't take up a lot of room. Maybe if we have them at the house, Jim will use them too! :smug:

Well, back to work. CHECK OUT THAT PAM B DOCUMENT!!!

wcolleen
08-21-2001, 01:54 PM
Ok, I need help! After signing up for the challenge three times before and not even starting it, I am finally going to do it. The problem is that the Body-For-Life site is down, and I want to make sure that I get all of the supplements, etc., that I need to officially compete in the challenge. As soon as I'm able to register online, I want to be ready to start the next day, so I'd like to go ahead and get everything ready.

Thanks!

MrsJim
08-21-2001, 04:49 PM
Before you go rushing out to buy supplements, check out the archives at www.leanandstrong.com.

More recommended reading is at www.hussman.com/eas as well as the "Body for Life" book (but you already have that, right??)

Supplements (I don't put "Meal Replacement" shakes in that category BTW) are NOT required. And what you MAY want to use you can get MUCH MUCH cheaper elsewhere than EAS' website (which is also www.bodyforlife.com). Try www.netrition.com or www.vitaglo.com for starters. But first, go to Lean & Strong...read some of the archives, the libraries (Training library - check out Pam B's new post there!!! Awesome!) and the transformation pix...

Here's what I use (remember, all this stuff is OPTIONAL!!):

Myoplex Lite (I buy the 42-serving Neopolitian Variety Pack - muy cheapo!). Don't bother with the RTD shakes and the bars. They taste like ca-ca!

Most women should use Myo Lite since it has fewer calories than regular Myoplex (a nice bonus - it's also cheaper!).

Glutamine - (Labrada Glutamine 1000 is the best buy). Don't waste your $$ on CytoVol (EAS' version). Also stay away from the capsules - you'll have to take a ton of them to get the same serving size as a scoop of Labrada.

Multivitamins (I buy mine from Trader Joe's but you can just go generic on these - no need to spend a lot of $$ on fancy-schmancy ones).

Udo's Choice Perfected Oil Blend - or any good EFA product out there.

Creatine - just use the cheapest generic powder you can find. I mix mine with Tang, water, and my serving of glutamine and slug it down three times a day.

You can do the BFL program without using ANY of these products but I'd definitely at least do the Glutamine and the Myo Lite (or a comparable meal replacement - gets hard to make 6 meals a day!)

Oh, Susanje would say - stay AWAY from the scale during your Challenge. Instead, take measurements and 'before' pix (as painful as that may be to contemplate - you'll be glad of it 12 weeks from now!) ;) before beginning the 12 weeks.

I'd also recommend - for the first week anyway until you get your bearings - posting your daily menu at www.leanandstrong.com. Tall Jen (TJ) has a daily menu thread that she starts about 10 a.m. each day. She'll give you an honest critique of what you're eating and make recommendations!!

See ya!

PS - Just re-read your post, and I guess you're signing up for the Challenge officially - while the rules state that you MUST use EAS products in your challenge, you do NOT have to buy them directly from EAS. Save yourself a small fortune and go to www.netrition.com or www.vitaglo.com. Oh yeah, it doesn't say that ALL your products need to be EAS either so if you just want to use Myo Lite, that would fit the requirements of the contest. Just save your receipts!!!

wcolleen
08-21-2001, 05:17 PM
Thanks so much! I still have some research to do on the supplements- but you answered my question re:what EAS requires you to get for the challenge. I have purchased the Myoplex Lite (and a blender!), and wanted to be sure that's all I needed to get to fulfill that requirement. I *am* interested in supplementation - but I need to look into it a little more.

I've had success with Weight Watchers, but paid little attention to strength training- and I know that's what I need to do in order to change my body (in the manner that I am hopingto, at any rate). Thanks for your help-

2BFIT1
08-22-2001, 09:48 AM
WELCOME COLLEEN ! ! ! !
I was just like you. I did well with WW's but I desperately needed to get some consistent exercise in. The 20 minutes of "moving" that WW reccommends just wasn't enough and I always had an excuse not to do it.
Then I read about BFL and I thought I'd give it a try. It was the best thing that I ever could have done for myself!
I have gone from someone who hated exercise to one who can't wait to go to the gym and am now seeing results that others are noticing. I feel better about myself and have more energy.

This 4th time is the charm! Go for it! You CAN do it. And we are all here to help and support you. As MrsJim suggested, check in over at www.leanandstrong.com for more support and info. It also is a great site for BFL'ers.
AND GOOD LUCK!
~~~Sil :wave:

MrsJim
08-22-2001, 10:28 AM
Since this is Week 5 (C2) I've changed all my exercises for UB and LB.

Today I did LBWO. I thought the Hack Squat machine was gonna be a piece of cake compared to using the Smith. Guess what? It's not as easy as it looks - trying to do it like Arnold says in his book (going all the way down) is TUFF. I can tell, though, that it'll be worth the effort!

Plus, I'm getting closer to my C2 goal of being able to do one complete chin up (or pull-up). Every day after my workout (be it cardio or weights) I go to the chinup bar and hang there for a few seconds, then try to pull myself up. Today I got 1/2 way up! I must admit I was impressed with myself - the chin-up bar I use faces a mirror so I could see my upper bod muscles straining. On my cardio days, I also use the chin-up machine (the one where the less weight you use, the more you have to rely on your own muscles to pull you up). I can do 10 chins with the weight at 80 as of yesterday. Tomorrow I'm going to put it at 70 and 60 to see how well I do!

As far as cardio, I've totally fallen in love with the treadmill, which used to be INCREDIBLY boring to me. With the 20 MAS intervals, though, it keeps me interested. Plus having some rockin' music really helps - I just got Brian Setzer's new CD "Ignition!" and that's what I've been listening to during my cardio (for strength training, believe it or not, I'm going back to my preteens and listening to Peter Frampton's 1974 "Frampton" CD at this time). I give "Ignition!" two thumbs up!!!! What a great album!

As I said before, I've printed out Pam B's training/motivation/nutrition paper from the Training Library on L&S and keep reading it every evening. I STRONGLY recommend all of you to check it out - print it out and really read it. She just motivates the heck outta me!! I also have her before and afters to really give me a shot - if she can meet and exceed her goals, certainly I can meet my own goals...

Time to hit the shower - see ya gals later!

HunnyBunny
08-23-2001, 03:46 AM
hi everyone!

I am completely new to BFL, but am going to start next Monday. I kind of got into BFL backwards. I have been using Myoplex lite for months now (have to eat breakfast and always on the run) and just figured out that it was with BFL. Funny huh? Anyway, looking for a cheap resource to buy-- check out http://vitamins.com (parent site webrx.com).

I have been checking out the message boards for motivation and I wanted to say this board is positive and partially thanks to you all, I am going to start my own personal challenge next Monday!

I am going to measure and weigh on Sunday. I will let you all know ;)

Sarah

ShelleyM
08-23-2001, 06:08 AM
Welcome Sarah-Keep us updated on everything!

Ladies-Please help! I am in need of motivation. I am getting burned out quickly. This waking up at 3:30AM to work out is taking it's toll on me. I still am not seeing major results in my 10th week. I have only 2 more to go, and I am starting to get very lax in everything (except for my weight training.) I haven't had time to eat all my meals (I have been falling asleep at 8:00.) I get home. I have 3 meals before I get home, then I have something like cottage cheese and fruit, or hard boiled egg whites and fruit. Within 2 hrs it is dinner time. After that I have been having a fruit or oatmeal, then fall asleep. I know I'm not eating right and not drinking enough water either. My motivation has gone down the tubes. How can I get re-motivated to finish this challenge and start a new one?????

2BFIT1
08-23-2001, 09:03 AM
Good morning everybody :wave:

Sarah~~~ :) Welcome to the group and to BFL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shelley~~~DON'T GIVE UP NOW ! ! ! I swear that it was in the 11th -12th week that I really started to see changes. I had seen and felt them in my arms earlier but it wasn't until the end of the challenge that others were making comments about "how much weight you've lost" or "you look so good". One of the ladies that I work with has been inspired to do BFL also (she said because of me). Don't get me wrong~I have a long way to go to reach my goal, but it is happening! I remember feeling anxious about going on free week because I was just seeing results and then was supposed to stop for a week. So hang in there Shelley. :D

MrsJim~~~WTG, gal! It sounds like you are doing great and I'm sure you will be at the TOP of the pull-up bar in no time! :cool:

Anyone who is interested~~~I have attached a pic of me.. I only showed the top half because there is a huge shadow on my sides (you can see it in my arms too) and it made my hips look bigger than I am (OK, so my vanity kicked in :smug: ) I realize that it make the board take alittle longer to download so I'll delete it in a few days. Just thought you'd like to put a face with a name. :)

wcolleen
08-23-2001, 09:25 AM
Oh My! You look awesome! Ok, that was a nice little dose of inspiration for me as I start my challenge!

IggyKatt
08-23-2001, 01:31 PM
:D I want to say what an inspiration you all are!!!

I am new here and I have started and quit three BFL challenges...The last one ended when I looked at the before picture that I took of myself :( . I have been lurking on this thread for a while. I saw MrsJim's post about Pam B 's training plan. I read the story and saw the most recent pictures of Pam Brown and I was floored...then the picture of 2BFit convinced me even more to start and complete a BFL challenge. I have the weights and bench, for the past year they have been used as a clothes hanger for my husband's uniform. Basically I want to tell you guys that ALL of you are a inspiration to me and I want to THANK YOU! I am off to read Bill Philip's book again and start the lifestyle change for real!!!

Iggy

IggyKatt
08-23-2001, 03:52 PM
Hello Again!

Since I decided to start this healthy lifestyle change today I just completed my cardio part. I have a question for those of you who have had success on BFL....I have alot of bodyfat that I want to get rid of...I am doing Taebo as my cardio, the tapes are 1 hour since I am doing advanced, is it okay to do this for an hour a day 6 days a week?? Also when is the best time to do weights?? I want to do it after my cardio in the evenings but should I do the weights first thing in the morning?? I am also using Myoplex Lite ...I am mixing 5mg of creatine in the protein powder since I find that when I mix it with juice I tend to break out....citric acid gives me hives. Will I still get the same benefits from the creatine mixed in the Myoplex?? I would appreciate any opinions.....they would be quite helpful.

Thanks

Iggy

MrsJim
08-23-2001, 04:50 PM
Lotsa messages to catch up on...

First off - Sil - Don't take your photo off the thread!!! It's not slowing MY access down any....Check out those biceps! You go girl!! :p

Shelley - I know I sound like a broken record here - but just look at the transformations on L&S - Sil is right - so many times the outward changes don't show up until just before the end of the 12 weeks...but you're feeling good INSIDE, right?

As far as the slipping on the meals, the best thing you can do is print up a bunch of those "Eating-for-Life" progress reports (in the book and also available as downloads of the www.bodyforlife.com site), sit down, and PLAN your meals for each day. There was a point in my first challenge where I had to do that for a couple of weeks. Each evening, I'd sit down and plan my next day's meals on a progress report sheet. IT WORKS! You can also double-check with Tall Jen (TJ) on her daily Menu Thread at L&S.

Iggy - first off, WELCOME to our thread!! :wave:

Did you read Pam B's article in the Training Library at L&S? I'm going to take the liberty of quoting her here as far as cardio goes:

CARDIO (from Pam B's Training, Nutrition, Motivation Information document on L&S's Training Library)

I have always done my cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

For the first 3 challenges I followed the Body for Life program to the letter except I bumped up my cardio to 30 minutes per session after a few weeks. I still made sure I hit the 9's and 10's every workout (that is SO important). I used the recumbent bike for the first 6 months and then added the treadmill and elliptical trainer to my workouts. As I got in better shape and needed more challenging cardio, I started using the stepmill (where the stair rotate like an escalator). It wasn’t until my fourth challenge when I was preparing for a bodybuilding contest that I started doing cardio 6 days per week. I found that when I was doing cardio 6 days per week, it became MUCH harder to stick to the nutrition plan. I have always done intervals with my cardio. Even when I increased my daily time to 45 minutes, I still did intervals, just not as intense. I would say I hit a level 8 on my intervals when I extended the duration past 30 minutes.

My opinion on High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) where you do one minute walking and one minute running all out: It is excellent for burning fat!!! I will only do HIIT 3 times per week for a short duration like 3 or 4 weeks. It can really burn you out fast. I did 30 minutes and hit 10 level 10 intervals per session. WHEW!!!

Now, some words from ME regarding cardio. For years - YEARS - I had been spending a minimum of 60 minutes (most of the time 80 minutes or more!!) on the Precor Elliptical at the gym...this was six mornings a week, BTW. I was getting my HR into the 80%+ zone most of the time...also taking Spinning classes once or twice a week...plus bike riding on the weekends (including a lot of hills) and wondering why I wasn't burning fat and my thighs were still big (with FAT, not muscle!). During C1, the most difficult part of BFL for me was sticking to the 20 MAS/HIIT three days a week. But believe me - I have seen the most AWESOME results from reducing my cardio. Short, hard and fast beats out long workouts in the so-called 'fat-burning' zone anytime IMO!!!

The Hussman site has a lot of good info on why short HARD cardio is superior over long moderate cardio for building fat. Just click here http://www.hussman.com/eas/#workouts for that part of the site.

As for me, I had another excellent cardio workout today on the treadmill (love the treadmill now...) then my daily attempt at a pull up. Basically, I hang on the bar, bend my knees and try to pull myself up as far as I can, then just hang as long as possible at that point. I really think I'm going to be able to do at least one full pullup by the end of this challenge (I'm at C2W5 right now).

More work to do! See ya!!!

MrsJim
08-23-2001, 04:57 PM
Many of your questions you ask (about when is the best time to do cardio, weights, etc.) can be answered just by reading the book...I read "Body for Life" (even though sometimes it feels like I've memorized it) often - it's in my book basket (I admit I like to read in the bathtub) along with my Muscle Media magazines!

Also, do read the Hussman site (www.hussman.com/eas). I'd recommend printing it out before reading it - it's a LOT of info.

Check www.Leanandstrong.com's FAQ and message archives for answers to questions about creatine, supplementation, cardio, etc.

Good luck!!!

ShelleyM
08-24-2001, 06:36 AM
Sil- You look awesome! Keep up the good work! Your picture is definitely an inspiration!

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm going to try to white knuckle it out to the end of the 1st challenge. The tops of my arms are hard, the bottoms are getting mushy. Maybe the fat will be going soon. I'm thinking if I switch my workouts after work, it might motivate me more. I want to keep my early morning ones going until the end of this challenge, though.

Mrs.J-I am feeling good inside.

2BFIT1
08-24-2001, 07:21 AM
WELCOME IGGY!!!!!

Wow, it's so great to see new people coming onto this site. We all learn from each other so the more the merrier! :)

If you really want to get inspired and motivated, take a look over at www.leanandstrong.com Check out the Transformation Gallery under Library and Pics. You will be AMAZED! Our very own MrsJim is in there also :cool: .
The before/after pics that are shown in Bill's book are pretty drastic but what I love about the pics at L&S is that you can tell that they are the average, everyday people just like us. Some have faster results than others but they are all improving themselves inside and out.

MrsJim has said this numerous times, but before you start your 12 weeks, take your pictures and take your measurements (including arms,thighs and calfs). If you can get your body fat % done by callipers that will also help. Then, weigh yourself and keep all this info in a binder. I would love to say "then throw the scale away" but I still haven't overcome this habit yet :o

As you lose fat and gain muscle, your scale weight doesn't really mean anything. It doesn't reflect the changes that are occuring. BUT, at the end of your challenge, your scale weight will help you to calculate how much fat loss/muscle gain you have made.

MrsJim's idea of keeping a personal journal including your BFL info, etc is a GREAT idea. I took her advise and started one. I have copies of my before pics,my exercise records and my www.fitday.com personal journal entries. BTW, that is another great site to help you get started in your nutrition. You can see the % of calories, fat, carbs, protein that you eat each day (and more) :D

Hope this helps to get you newbies started and look forward to seeing you post often.
~~~Sil :wave:

2BFIT1
08-24-2001, 07:26 AM
THANKS ,EVERYBODY, FOR ALL THE KIND WORDS! ALL OF YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO ME! :spin:

citychick
08-24-2001, 06:58 PM
Dear BFL-ers:

I am reading the BFL book. I have exercised for years, mostly just cardio, and am struggling with about 25 extra pounds. Since I already work out almost every morning (ineffectively), I think the exercise portion of the plan will be quite do-able for me.

However, I have a few questions about the food. The first and most important is: what about those of us who spend the days in an office and cannot access a blender for the shakes? I have tried the myoplex light bars in the past, and I do not like the taste. Has anyone found a good nutrition bar for women? I used to use Met Rx Source One, but it has been discontinued.

I'd also love suggestions on other portable "meals" that the rest of you are using.

Thanks much. :)

MrsJim
08-24-2001, 07:54 PM
I have the same problem you do - can't use a blender at work, just too darn messy and noisy. Plus the Myo Lite bars do taste like ca-ca...

For awhile I was using MRB's (meal replacement bars) for Meal #4 at work, but there is a TON of sugar in most (if not all) of them. If I were you, I'd only use them in case of an emergency. My two favorites are Worldwide Pure Protein (S'Mores and Blueberry Cheesecake flavors) and MetRx Protein Plus (don't confuse this with the regular MetRx bars since they don't have a whole lotta protein in them). If you use these two protein bars, you will also need to have a carb on the side (for instance, a piece of fruit) since the basis of BFL Eating-for-LIFE consists of six meals a day consisting of a protein and a carb (the list of authorized foods is in the book) plus a minimum of two servings of veggies each day.

Here are some ideas for meals at work other than MRBs (because, believe me, those bars get pretty yukky after awhile!).

Fat Free/Sugar Free Yogurt (such as Dannon Light & Fit) mixed with lowfat cottage cheese (this is mentioned in the book as one of Bill P's favorite quick meals). Pam B (check out the Transformation Gallery on www.leanandstrong.com for her pix - she is AWESOME!!!) suggests mixing this in a blender for a cheesecake-like taste. You could do this at home and tote it to work in a Servin' Saver.

Cottage Cheese and a piece of fruit (that's my usual - I'm having a peach with my CC today). I keep a tub of Knudsen Lowfat Cottage Cheese in the refrigerator at work so it's always there when I need it!

Cook boneless chicken breasts ahead of time, put in a baggie and nuke one when you need it - have it with a piece of fruit, some leftover brown rice, or other authorized carb.

Just a few ideas - check the Lean & Strong site's Cooking Library for a ton of great tips!!!

citychick
08-24-2001, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the post, MrsJim.

If any of the BFL-ers would consider posting a day of food eaten, I would find that really helpful.

Thanks again,

citychick

MrsJim
08-24-2001, 08:49 PM
You can also check on www.leanandstrong.com. Tall Jen (TJ) does a daily Menu thread at about 10 a.m. weekdays - it'll give you a better idea of what BFLers are eating out there!

MrsJim's Typical weekday menu:

7:00 a.m. Meal #1 - Myoplex Lite Shake
9:30 - 10 a.m. #2 - Cottage cheese and cut fruit - usually honeydew and cantaloupe
1:00 p.m. - #3 - Grilled chicken and veggie brown rice bowl at local Japanese fast-food place (YUMMM!)
3:30 - 4:00 p.m. - #4 - Cottage cheese and a piece of fruit (lately it's been a peach or nectarine.
6:30 - 7:00 p.m. - #5 - Last night it was catfish fillet with Cous-cous mixed with Rotel tomatoes and mushrooms (gotta get those veggies in!)
9:00 p.m. - #6 - Myo Lite shake right before hitting the hay!

Again, I urge you to check www.leanandstrong.com for more ideas!!! Take care...

Debbie160
08-24-2001, 11:29 PM
citychick - I don't drink the Myoplex shakes too often. When I do, it is primarily for meal #6 shortly before I go to bed. For my 2nd and 4th meal, I mainly do cottage cheese and a piece of fruit, like MrsJim or a meal replacement bar and a piece of fruit. The MRB I am eating is called carb solutions and has only 2grams of carbs. I get them at Sam's. At first they tasted awful to me, but I am used to them now and actually have gotten to where I consider them a treat. Is that sick or what?:lol:

My free day is tomorrow and I am ready for it. Have been battling the munchies all week!!! Have continued to stay strong and was encouraged by a comment today about my "baggy pants"!!:eek:

Debbie

MrsJim
08-25-2001, 04:57 PM
Got back from my riding lesson awhile ago, and I really REALLY need to shake a tailfeather, get off the Net and start cleaning my pigsty of a house - Jim had to go to the studio and lay down some bass lines with his buddy Shree...and from experience I know how long and incredibly boring that is...plus since we're off to Canada next week I need to get this house CLEAN!

Anyways had another great treadmill workout. I'm shooting to increase my intensity even more - I put in an extra interval - meaning that the fourth time I hit a "9" (at the 18-minute mark) instead of going right to a '10' I go back down to a '6' and do another five minutes (levels 7,8,9,10) then cool down at a 5 for two minutes.

After doing the treadmill I got on the elliptical but took it nice and easy....slow slow slow. Just cooling down and watching the "Today" show (they finally replaced one of the broken TVs at our gym!). Anyways, Blues Traveler was on the show today. If you know that band, you may remember the hefty harmonica-playing front man, John Popper. Well...he's not so hefty anymore! He's lost most of his gut and is looking a lot better! However, looks to me as though working with weights would really make him buff. I think he's just doing high-protein right now but I'm not sure. It was neat to see him looking better though - having all that fat must have been very uncomfortable!

OKAY. NOW I have to clean the house!!! Signing off!

ShelleyM
08-26-2001, 08:45 AM
Today is free day, and I am going to try to not go bananas! Weighed and measured, weight is down a little, measurements still the same. My DH says that he can definitely see a difference, even if I can't, so that makes me feel better. Also, I know I don't jiggle as much when I walk. I can feel the tightness in my buns and thighs.

Picked up the new Energy magazine, and really like it. It's full of good information.

Can anyone give me tips on getting all my water in? I can't seem to even finish my 2 liter bottle anymore. I keep it at my desk at work, but it lasts 2 or 3 days. That's not good!! I forget to drink it, since I get so busy.

Gonna go for a relaxing bike ride this morning! See ya!

HunnyBunny
08-26-2001, 11:16 AM
Hi again!

Sil--WOW GIRLFRIEND! YOU ROCK AND YOU LOOK HOT!

Any hints on how to take in all the water would be nice. I do not like water. I am not addicted to pop, just juice or flavored waters (can you say 'calories' :dizzy: ). Help please!

Also, what about nutrasweet? Where does that fall?

And (-- lots of questions today :) ) I am unable to workout first thing every morning -- how bad is that? If I work out at lunch or at night will it still have the same effect?

I will be posting measurements tonight --eeek !

thank you for all the feedback!
Sarah
:)

Curlysue950
08-26-2001, 11:32 AM
I just joined this bulletin board and I'm looking for the Body for Life thread..is this it? I am starting today (getting the book tomorrow) I'm one who has done it all and stuck at 5'0", 150. I need lots of success stories for any of you who are around my age (50) and done it all! Thanks! Any hints?

MrsJim
08-26-2001, 01:40 PM
Since doing BFL I've really cut down on my Diet Coke intake. I think that carbonated and caffinated beverages don't count as water. I love Diet Coke but am finding it doesn't quench my thirst the way water does!

Instead, I've been drinking Diet Snapple (Orange Carrot and Kiwi Strawberry are my favorites!). I save the bottles and use them to mix my glutamine/creatine/Tang together. Also drink water out of them - for some reason I drink a lot more water if I'm drinking out of Snapple bottles. My private rule is - if I drink a Diet Snapple, I then fill up the bottle with water five times before recycling it. That's 10 cups of water right there!

If plain water is a problem, try adding a little Crystal Light - but not full strength. The whole trick is to get your bod craving water. If you don't like the taste of tap water, try bottled water. Jim and I have been having spring water delivered to our house for years now - it just tastes better to us and consequently we drink more. Runs us about $26 a month but well worth it!

At work, I have three 32-oz water bottles that I make sure are filled up every morning. I don't usually finish them all in the course of the day but I do drink at least 1-2 during the work day.

Curlysue - yes indeedy, this IS the 3FC BFL thread! Welcome! A lot of us also hang out at the www.leanandstrong.com site as well. Check out their Transformation Gallery - I know there's some success stories and photos from your age group.

Hunnybunny - Since Aspartame (NutraSweet) is in Myoplex and Myoplex Lite, I don't see a problem with it. I've been using it since the 70's with no problems or complications whatsoever.

Today is my Free Day. Last night I wanted to start Free Day early SOOO BADLY because I was by myself - so it would have been out of boredom. Instead I made a pitcher of Crystal Light lemonade (with twice as much water as called for in the instructions) and that was okay. This morning I bought a box of six Little Debbie Brownies and some Capn Crunch cereal, which I haven't eaten in 20+ years. Had a bowl and all I gotta say is I wish I'd bought Corn Chex instead. WAY too sweet for me! I'll probably end up giving the rest of the box to our upstairs neighbors...Later we are planning on going out for KFC (something else I haven't had in decades). It's so gorgeous outside though we will be spending a lot of time outdoors, probably at the Art and Wine festival in the park. See ya guys!

wcolleen
08-26-2001, 05:08 PM
Almost finished with week #1 of the challenge. I know it's too soon to see results, but I swear, I can tell a physical difference in my legs (maybe I'm just imagining it!) I was sitting on the wide-grip pull down machine yesterday at the gym, and I could see muscles in my legs I've never seen before! (Maybe I've just never seen my legs from the side before!)

I feel *so* good after just one week. The only problem is working in those meals. I laughed when someone told me that would be a challenge, because I've been doing the "mini-meal" thing for the last few months, but having that combination of carbs & protein really makes a difference, doesn't it?!

HunnyBunny
08-26-2001, 09:43 PM
Hello all,

Thanks for the hints on the water! I need them. I just finished the BFL book. WOW-- great read with a ton of wonderful information.

Here is my story: I have been slightly overweight since my late teenage years. Not enough for anyone to say,' hey you shouldn't eat that 4 slice of pizza,' but just enough give me some curves. As 2 babies later proved, weight goes on and doesn't come off. I gained 65 lbs each one of my babies. EEK!

Through exercise and slight dieting, I am now down to 152 on my 5'2" frame. I have discovered if I eat regularly and tend not to overeat. This is how I discovered Myoplex. Slimfast just didn't cut it. I have also rediscovered I love to workout. It is my ultimate stress relief. The EFX machine was a struggle 18 months ago and now I just put on my headphones and off I go!

So off I go on my first challenge starting tomorrow.
Here are my measurements:
Rt calf: 15.25
Rt thigh: 23.5
Hips: 39.5
Waist: 36
Chest: 37.5
Upper arm: 12.5
Neck: 13.25
Body fat: 32.5
Weight: 152

BFL goals:
1) FIRST AND FOREMOST: FINISH!!!!
2) Drop 10% body fat
3) Wear a size 8 jeans
4) DRINK WATER! Must must must....

Okay -- I am off and I am ready!!!

Goodnight gals and thanks once again! We are wonderful!

Sarah