Old 05-18-2006, 11:27 AM   #1  

Default Jump start your weight loss?

In the past I have found that if I do something like a cleanse to lose a quick few pounds, I can get more motivated to lose more. Anyone have any suggestions or something you have tried? The cleanse I have done is pretty expensive to buy the supplements.
This is the first time I have had a problem losing weight. I used to be able to change my diet a bit and excersise a little more, but now it seems like I try and just get fatter. I know my metabolism is shot because 5 years ago I was anorexic, and have had other health problems ever since. I also strongly believe my birth control pill is causing problems because I switched a few months ago. I feel like things are getting impossible!
I could use some help!
kalishea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #2  
Teapot Diva-short & stout

Hi Kalishea,

Are you drinking 64 oz of plain water daily? That usually helps get rid of excess water weight and can help with motivation.

Good Luck--BJF
BridgetJFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I am seeing that your curretn weight is 133. Can I ask how old you are, how tall you are, and what your activity level is like? I really don't think that birth control pills are such a huge issue. They can cause a *slight* weight gain, but we are talking 3-5 pounds...not 10 or 20. It is usually due to other issues in your life:

~Change In Daily Activity that isn't "exercise" per say: A change such as being a waitress and walking around at work all day, and then taking an office job where you sit most of the day is an example.

~Change in age: It is very common for a 15-19 year old girl to still have "teen" physique and maintain a low weight more naturally, and then as they mature into a full fledged woman and reach their 20's, they can no longer weigh 105, 110, 115 pounds...weights such as these are no longer maintainable/healthy for them.
My goal weight, for instance, is 140. As a grown woman, there is no way I can get to or maintain a weight of 120 pounds and be healthy for my frame and height.

~A Change In Diet: It can be something small-such as picking up a new habit, such as having a mocha every day can add 200-300 calories to your regime. Not a lot of excess each day-you aren't pigging out or anything, but over the course of a year that could lead to gaining a few pounds.

As far as "cleansing", really I don't recommend doing anything other than drinking plenty of water-and eating cleaner and healthier when you start your eating regime. (More fresh fruits over canned, whole grain over white bread/pasta, and so forth...) this will cleanse you naturally.

There is no reason at all to do any sort of "detox" or cleanse other than that-especially with your history of an eating disorder.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #4  

Aphil,
Hi there. I am 24, 5'5 and I think I am quite active, except during work, which I sit at a desk all day. Nothing has really changed in the past year except my birth control pill, that is why I bring that up. I have had the same job for almost 6 years and have always been relativly active. I did have 4 bouts with pancreatitis last year, but that shouldn't really cause any long term weight issues. I was a vegetarian since I was 14 and when I became anorexic my doc had me add chicken, fish and turkey. I have always been aware of what I eat and usually eat around 1500 calories a day. We don't keep treats or soda in our house. Last year I ran a lot because I wanted to run a city 5 k just for fun. I try to walk everynight because I have a hyper dog. I also built a new house last year, so this year has been nothing be weeding, and yard work, everyday until I am exhausted. I also got Turbo Jam do that once in a while when I don't have to weed!
Basically the reason I asked about "jump starting" my diet is because it seems in the past when I see some results I get motivated. I just can't seem to lose a pound! I have been gaining more it seems in the past couple months. I went on a crusie in Feb and actually weighed less after the cruise (which is supposed to put on 5lbs because of all the food) then I do now. I am about at wits end.
kalishea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Well, if you are eating 1500 calories a day, and you are exercising with walking, gardening/yardwork, etc. then there really isn't a whole lot you can do. 133 pounds is actually in the healthy range for your height as well.
What I can recommend, is that you pick up either Pilates or strength training with weights (at the gym or with a video) because while your weight may stay around the same, you can actually get a little smaller since you will be building muscle, and it is leaner (smaller) than fat.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:06 AM   #6  

kalishea,
Just to butt in, I read where you said you weighed less after your cruise despite all the food. I was just thinking that maybe you are eating too few calories. Sometimes eating more calories for a day or two, and then going back to your regular amount helps shock your body into dropping a pound or two. Good luck.
asimon is offline   Reply With Quote