PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 01:16 AM   #1  

Unhappy I HATE this curse called PCOS

[FONT=arial][COLOR=indigo]Hi all,

Man was I GLAD to see this in the forum. I needed to "talk" so bad tonight.

My name is Yvonne and I'm 35 yo. I am engaged to a wonderful man, who met me heavier than I am now. I have a 9 yo dd that took me 9 yrs to conceive.

My doctor 1-1/2 wks ago told me to be happy with what I've lost and not expect much more. I have lost 52lbs (and have another 70 to get to WW high end) so far on WW, but it's taken over a year. I have been TOTALLY OP the entire time (56 weeks). I eat about 1500 calories a day. He told me that he'd never seen anyone thin with PCOS and that I should just be proud that I'm eating healthy and has a wonderful man that loves me just as I am. But why can't I be happy being fat. I've been depressed for the entire time and then when I thought I was DOWN on the scale, I stayed the same. I've lost less than 5lbs in 6 months.

I feel like a physical failure. My body is so messed up and I can't do a darn thing about it. "They" say, increasing my Glucophage should give me NO side affects (I'm up to 1000mg a day). But I have HORRIBLE cramps/diarehhea now. "They" say, if I didn't have the side affects before, there should be none now, even though they have doubled my dosage and I'm definately having the side affects now.

I stayed the same on my weight. I still weigh 216lbs. So for the month I lost a whopping .6lbs (that's POINT 6, not six pounds). If I could say "I didn't stay on the program and therefore I stayed the same", it would be OK. It would be MY fault. I would take the punishment.

How long can I go on and stay on a diet and see NO results? How long can I remain fat and learn to be happy? Why can't I accept the fact that I'm fat and will always look this way? Why does it have to be MY body? Why can't it be someone elses body?

I sit here and feel that my body is a physical failure. It doesn't work right and most don't understand. I feel so trapped. Nothing I can do can remedy my situation. I can find no joy in the fact that every day I wake up to a fat face and body.

I need a hug so bad, I can't stand it. I want to cry but there is no one there for me to cry on their shoulder (my fiance is at work). So I weep alone. No one to say "it's OK, you'll figure this out". But I know there is no figuring it out. There is no "light at the end of my tunnel".

I have to find pride in the fact that I eat healthy each and every day, but I can't find pride in how I look. I feel deep despair sometimes and even my fiance can't understand why.

I found out tonight that the girl that is a receptionist at my WW meeting, one with PCOS, is gaining her weight back (she had lost 68lbs). She could only eat 17-18pts a day just to MAINTAIN her weight. I can't live like that. It's just not living. She finally gave in. When will that happen to me? The fear I have is incredible. What if I stop doing WW? Just eat normally. Will I balloon up, like a balloon? She got down at least to a size 12.

Well, I'm sorry to unload. I just need to "talk". I'm off to swim with Kassie (my dd), last night of the pool being open for the summer, maybe that will cheer me up. I will get over this. It's just so darn frustrating, every time I weigh-in.

Yvonne
Old 08-15-2001, 04:54 AM   #2  

Hi Yvonne

My name is Hensa, I am 32 year old, maried to a wonderfull man for 11 years, without any children. I had a hysterectomy at the age of 29 (removing everything including my ovaries)

I had PCOS and "endometriose" in a very bad stage, my husband and I tried everything to have a baby of our own, at the end we decided tha my health come first, and on the reccomendation of my doctor to have the opperation. You are very fourtinate and lucky to have a child of your own.

I am on hormonal treatment and will be on it for the rest of my life, the docter said that this is one of the reasons that I will always have a problem with my weight. But I dont want to stay like this for the rest of my life!!!!!!!

My weight at this moment is 216lbs excactly the same as yours
I have tried every diet, without any long term results. I was overwieight for as long as I can remember.

Somedays I to feel like a failure to, but then I get up and try again. I never thought that PCOS could be the reason that I have a problem with my weightloss.

I have once again start with a diet last Saturday 11 August and must say it is going good so far.

Why dont we motivate each other, and try to reach our goal weight. together?

I really need YOUR support! you can mail me at my private e-mail address [email protected] if you like or just reply on the thread.

I can wait hearing from you Yvonne, and don't feel bad about unloading because tommorow I am going to feel the same and then I will need you be there for me.

HANG IN THERE, YOU WILL MAKE IT!!!!

Buy Buy

Hensa
(South Africa)
Old 08-15-2001, 05:43 AM   #3  

Hey Guys,
all i can say is WOW!!!! i really feel for u 2. my PCOS is not as bad as urs. im not sure how much reading you have done about this and dieting with PCOS, but from what i have read, and what is working for me is lower carbs, im not talking the gerri halliwell fainting kinda of diet that has no carbs, just a shift in the balance of protiens carbs and veggies. i read this on
www.psoc.net ....................The root of PCOS is an inability to respond properly to insulin, the hormone produced in the pancreas that allows your body's cells to absorb energy from the food you eat. This means your cells don't respond to the normal amount of insulin, so the pancreas pumps out even more. That's what insulin resistance is and it happens when the body turns carbohydrates, both simple and complex, into glucose that surges into the bloodstream. Insulin travels to the muscle cells, telling them to take glucose from the bloodstream and store it in the liver. As
insulin levels in the blood increase, glucose levels in the blood decrease. When blood glucose falls below a certain level, the brain, which needs glucose to function, calls out for more by telling you to eat again. If it doesn't get glucose, the result is drowsiness or lack of mental alertness. This glucose shortage is also known as low blood sugar or hypoglycemia. When hypoglycemia strikes, the liver is unable to replenish bloodglucose from its stored supply because eating a carbohydrate-rich meal or drinking a sugary beverage creates an exaggerated
insulin response that prevents delivery of the glucose. So, insulin remains in the bloodstream,sending messages to store more body fat and preventing the release of already-stored fat, and glucose remains in the liver instead of going to the brain.

Since the cause of all the problems is insulin resistance, the key seems to lie in restricting carbohydrates and exercising regularly, for physical activity also helps regulate insulin production. The most popular of the low-carb diets are 'Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution' by Robert Atkins and 'Protein Power' by Michael and Mary Eades. Another popular approach is the 'Carbohydrate Addicts Diet' by Rachel and Richard Heller. Even at normal weight, it is still critical to moderate
carbohydrate intake as well as exercise.

Now i dont recommend ANY diets, but reading up on them and taking whats good for u out of them and making the changes in ur diet is what i feel you can be happy with and maintain for life.
i dont know, u might already know all this......
i would find myself another doctor, coz if u ask me i just dont accept that you have to live with being overweight coz u have PCOS. it might not be easy. but i still believe there is hope, its ur body, and go with someone who u feel will help u. good luck guys
Monica
Old 08-15-2001, 10:35 AM   #4  
karen3000

I, too, have read lots about the effects of low carbs on insulin levels and how our body uses the insulin. I have read the books by the Hellers (Carbohydrate Addicts Diet) and SugarBusters. Sugarbusters made a lot of sense to me because you really didn't cut out too many foods - you replaced most of them with healthier, more natural foods. I don't suffer from PCOS as much as many others, but I have been able to lose weight on SugarBusters, so I can only say that it works for me. Try reading up on it and find a doctor who is receptive to new thinking about this disease and new treatments.

I'm really happy to see this thread on 3FC and I'll be checking back often.

Karen

Old 08-15-2001, 06:02 PM   #5  

Talking WOW - Thanks for the support

First off I wanted to say, have patience while I try to get the colors to work right here.

You were all SO wonderful. I was at such a low point last night and am feeling WAY better today. It's amazing what the support of your loved ones does for you and getting a good nights rest.

I am feeling WAY better today

I am considering staying on WW, but eating about 1/2 the carbs of what would be considerated "regular". So now I need to know, what is considered an average amount of carbs per day?

Any help!!

Karen - I have a friend that has done GREAT on SugarBusters. I might need to get a copy of it. I have tried Carb Adicts and lasted one week. It was HORRIBLE, during the day only being able to eat mainly meat and weird vegetables. I'd think you'd die from all the FAT. LOL

Monica - I'd be VERY interested in what you have done with the protein/carb mix. How has this worked for you? I guess I need to check in to all sorts of arenas.

WOW that description that you listed was fantastic. I never read or had anyone describe it so clearly (how the insulin works INCORRECTLY with us).

You know what's weird though. I've been told I'd never be small by 3 different doctors. This last doctor is WONDERFUL, I love him to death and he is one of the best in this area for PCOS. He did encourage me to keep trying, but he was willing to sign-off on an EXTREMELY high weight (for my WW goal weight).

Hensa- I would LOVE to talk with you off the list. I was SO sorry to hear of your hysterotomy at such a YOUNG age. Yes, I do count myself LUCKY to have been able to conceive and have a beautiful daughter. She's a REAL gem too!! Sounds like you have a very considerate husband too!! Are you going to consider adoption?

My fiance is 10 yrs older than me and we aren't going to have any more children. In fact I was told that I could get pregnant with the Glucophage, but I'm also on the BC (mainly for the excessive bleeding).

What diet are you on? I'm glad it's going well for you. The one thing I do have to say is that I'm glad that the WW is easy. I really don't feel like I'm on a diet. I just worry about having to lower my pts too much and not be able to eat much.

Anyone - Does anyone have problems with feeling ICKY after exercise? I went to a gym 4-5X a week for 6 months and would get SO sick afterwards. Feel extremely tired, sick to my stomach, weak. I never did get the "exercise" high that you get. Just curious. I've shyed away from the exercise since then. I have gotten LOTS of time in the pool though and that is good. Plus I've got siatica in my hip and it about kills me to walk let alone exercise. We're working on that right now with Physical Therapy and I have a Dr.'s appt next week with my Orthopedic Surgeon.

I'm just so glad we can be here for each other. I'm normally a very upbeat and funny person. I just had a VERY low day yesterday. I'm almost embarassed to read what I wrote. Thanks again for "listening"!!

Yvonne
Old 08-16-2001, 12:32 AM   #6  
WW Moderator

Default Yes, you CAN lose weight!

You CAN lose the weight! Is the doctor that told you that you cannot lose weight an OB-GYN or endocrinologist? Those doctors may be more up to date on how to control PCOS. WW will not work for you unless you find a way to control your carbohydrates along with it. Don't give up, you absolutely can reach your goals!
I have FINALLY started losing weight with the help of Glucphage, a low carb diet and my treadmill.

Please tell your friend also that is only doing 17-18 points a day that she can eat so much better if she will change her carb plan.
We also have a WW-LowCarb thread in the Low Carb forum.
Long ago, severe calorie restriction was the only way for a PCOS person to lose weight, but fortunately we know better ways now!

Listen to the others here, and also maybe take a peek at the LowCarb forums here on the board and check out the different options of low carb diets. With that and regular exercise, you WILL make it! Just keep reading, the more I learn about PCOS the better I feel.
Old 08-16-2001, 03:30 AM   #7  

Talking WE CAN WIN THIS THING CALLED PCOS!!

Hey guys!

Thank you Monica for the description for the fist time I understands how PCOS works.

Yvonne I have tried WW but it did not work for me, now I understands why, because I used to eat allot of veggies, fuit, breads..... ect (carbs)

The diet that I am currently on is a diet for somebody with Candida (my sister is following it because she is suffering from candida and she lost 39.67lbs on this diet) it mainly consist of lots of veggies, proteins, fats and a little bit of fruit, starch and diary products. After reading your letters and doing a little reading on the internet it looks that something like Dr. ATKINGS NEW DIET REVOLUTION will work better for my special problem???? At this stage I dont know whether I should continue on this one or go on Atkins?

I dont know about you girls but I am a collector of diets, and one of them happend to be the book of Dr Atkins, now I am bussy reading the book

Yvonne, yes I have a wonderfull understanding husband, that loves me allot and I thank God for him because without him I dont think I would have made it through this thing. We decided together that we are going to accept what happend to us and just be happy and love one another.
Somedays it get's to me the fact that I will never be able to have a child of my own but the feeling only last for a few minutes. I have allot of children in my life (family and friends)... and I have 2 dogs and a bird (African Grey that likes to talk...) the one dog is a miniature dachshund and she is a lovely little thing with allot of love to give.

Jennifer I am going to look into thie WW-LowCard thread and the Low Carb forum I hope I can get some tips there....

If we think about it a low carb diet is not that bad.... now we can have that piece of full cream cheese, olives, bacon, butter, avocado adn that extra piece of meat that we always had to leave and what about the cream!!!

Woo just the thought of it makes me hungry!!!!

Buy Buy

Hensa

HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON![COLOR=red]
Old 08-16-2001, 10:37 AM   #8  
aka Zippy LiverFace

MAXSMOM –I SOOOOO RELATE TO WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM!!!! I started gaining weight about 4 years ago and thought it was because my activity level had slowed down somewhat and I had gotten married and started cooking differently. Soooo, I went on diet after diet and upped my exercise, but the weight just kept coming on. I got up to 220 lbs. and I’ve never been that high before – it scared me and I felt so ugly and unloveable. I even gained 2 lbs. on the cabbage soup diet!! NOCHEATING! I tried starving myself and anything anyone would recommend. My husband saw my efforts and was at a loss for why things weren’t working.

I finally went to the Dr. to see if I could get some diet pills because I thought that was my only hope. He ran a battery of tests and said that my thyroid is normal and the only way to lose weight was to starve myself. He said I had a VW body?!?! Talk about lack of bedside manner! It was suggested that I go to an endocrinologist and so I did. They also ran a battery of tests on me and found high insulin levels and normal blood sugar – meaning my body is making tons of insulin to keep the blood sugar normal and that’s indication of my body fighting to not become Diabetic.

The endocrinologist put me on Sugar Busters immediately and told me to start walking/working out 15-20 minutes per day/6 days per week. Then the next month added GlucophageXR then the next month added Zocor (for my cholesterol). I wasdoing everything I was supposed to be doing – no cheating – and I even joined a club where you get personal training with the initiation fee and bought additional one on one training sessions to make sure I was getting the most out of my work-outs. I started tracking my food in www.fitday.com – Which I highly recommend, by the way. I still wasn’t losing weight.

What I did learn was that my calorie intake was drastically changing on a daily basis – 1000 on one day, 500 on the next day. My personal trainer said it’s important to keep your calories consistent on a day to day basis to keep your body from freaking out – and you know as well as I do, how sensitive our bodies are. We have to do everything perfectly to get results! It sucks, but, that’s the way it is. I’m still learning and “tweaking” my diet and exercise to figure out what works for me. It’s taken me, what 6 months to lose 8 pounds. I TOTALLY relate to where you’re coming from and I was as upset as you last month. Today just happens to be a good day for me. You’ve lost 52 lb.s THAT’S GREAT!! I’m jealous! If it’s been coming off, even ever so slowly, it can still come off – don’t give up!

I don’t know about your body / metabolism level, etc., but at 200 lbs. my endocrinologist told me to eat 1600 calories per day and not go too much below that or my body goes into starvation mode.

I don’t like the comments your doctor is making and would like to recommend that you find another dr. who will work with you and wants to see you lose weight and is willing to try other options. It sounds like he doesn’t have answers and, as a result, is blowing you off and building your expectation to stay large so you don’t keep pressuring him to help you. Just my opinion, though. Also, if he isn’t an endocrinologist I recommend going to one, they work with diabetics and fertility problems and are very much more informed about PCOS than primary care physicians.

“They” are not professionals if they don’t believe you when you tell them about the side effects you are having. You know your body better than anyone else and if that’s the only thing you’ve changed, then, by golly, what the he** do they think it is??? “They” aren’t helping you and there are doctors out there who can and will.

I’m trying Xenical right now because nothing else has helped. I’ve finally started losing – so most of my weight loss has been in the past 2 months, really. It’s a last resort type thing and I’ve been going to the endocrinologist for months trying everything else before going to the weight loss drug route.

It IS good that you are eating healthy and that you are getting your body as healthy as you can regardless of the weight loss or not. That’s certainly something to be proud of and to remember. Don’t give up! Don’t quit eating healthy! It’s just not worth it. You have a wonderful family who loves you very much – and you can keep up with them and do things with them and you wouldn’t be able to do that if you were back to your higher weight, would you? I would think that your way of eating is almost 2nd nature to you by now and so you are establishing a pattern for eating that you can follow for the rest of your life and that’s what it has to be for us.

I’m sorry to write such a book, but you really touched my heart! Hang in there and we’ll keep learning from each other! Just knowing that there’s a reason for these problems and that I’m not alone is a great comfort in and of itself. I’m so glad Jennifer has added this thread to the boards!!

everyone else thanks for posting - I've already learned so much!! I'm out of time, but will get back on soon!

Take care,

SolShine
Old 08-16-2001, 11:48 PM   #9  

Angry What a GREAT group of Women

Hasn't it been wonderful to read everyone's thoughts, pains and experiences with this thing. Like Jennifer said, just learning more about it, helps so much. I guess I really did need to brush up more on it. For so long, all I wanted was a baby. Now my focus is my good health and a thinner body.

Had another blue day. Cried on Sam's shoulder today. He's got nice big ones for that. I do think I am PMSing, although I never did when I bleed 24/7, not until the bc pill. I have tried several and this one had the least amount of side effects.

We are having a garage sale with our neighbors tomorrow and Saturday, but felt I needed to touch base with everyone before I finished marking it all up with prices.

I told Jennifer in another post was that I was terrified of leaving WW and I'm not totally sure I will do that. It has given me so much support (well my email lists have) and I did lose 52lbs on it. I don't want to give up yet and I'm hoping the Glucophage will kick in and help. I'm checking into lowering my carbs and sticking with counting my points. It gives me things to focus on.

I've noticed with the Gluc. that the last week I have been nauseated and gassy (diarehhea too). Plus I've had some headaches, anyone have those? I wonder how long the side affects continue until my body gets used to it. Been a bit tired too.

Jennifer - Actually the doc I go to IS an Endo. He specializes in PCOS along with diabetes. He's great and believe me when I say he encouraged me to keep trying to lose weight. He doesn't love extreme low-carbs, because he doesn't believe they are that healthy. I think he just wanted me to know the odds, which are SLIM (pun intended) that I would be small again.

Hensa - I am SO GLAD you were able to come to terms with the baby thing and thankful it only lasts a few moments with you. Sam and I talked about a baby, but honestly, we like being with each other. We kind of don't want to share it with a baby. I do have my daughter and she's at a great age, to play with us and then go play with her friends. LOL

SolShine - I had that "sudden" gain myself. Totally thin my whole life then 18 yrs old, eating normally, gained 60lbs in 6 months. Started to bleed constantly. Back then, they had NO idea what to do with me, other than put me on the pill.

Does your husband get frustrated with the whole PCOS/weight issue? Sam is SO happy with how I look and who I am, that he wants me to move on and can't understand why I cant'. Today I could tell he was frustrated as to why I was crying AGAIN. Just a short cry though and I'm over it.

I talked with the Pharmacist tonight and he said ABSOLUTELY that I could have side affects this time around. I DOUBLED my dose, darn it. I just LOVE small family drug stores. Although they do know all about your life. Tonight I explained PCOS and he thought it was very intersting and glad I explained it to him.

You know the bad thing about my weight loss, is I was SO fat before I started, most can't really tell I've lose weight, even when I tell them, prompting for a compliment, they are like "oh...that's good". Unfortunately, when I met Sam, I started to eat normally again (not my usual starvation to maintain my weight) and I gained 45lbs the 1st year. He NEVER noticed. Awww, ain't he sweet. I think of how much better I'd look if I had kept it off and then lost the 52. I'd be skinny minnie...

My Endo is great, as you read above. He actually prescribed the Xenical. But frankly my insurance doesn't cover it (you know it's JUST COSMETIC reasons, I need to lose weight - right) and I can't afford over $100 a month, the Glucophage and stuff I take for migraines already puts us out over $100 a month on meds.

Well, I think I wrote enough of my book tonight. Thanks again, ALL OF YOU for listening. I have a feeling, since this forum opened we'll all do better, if not emotionally for the support!!

Yvonne
Old 08-17-2001, 09:41 AM   #10  

Hi all!!

I am very excited about this new thread!

With ALL the support and motivation that I am getting from you guys I believe I am going to achieve my goal and become a "SKINNY LITTLE LIZARD"

There is something that I would like to know about PCOS I had a operation to remove my ovaries ect.... that were infected with PCOS does that mean I am now curred of PCOS?

I decided to go on the Atkins diet... so far so good...... I started my day with a breakfast consiting of 2 eggs and some beef, during the morning I snaked of on BILTONG (it is slices of dried meat) and lost of water I will leave the carbo's for tonight and have a nice salad and some fish with a butter sause.

I AM NOT HUNGRY SO FAR AND FEEL GREAT.

On other diets I usually felt very sorry for myself....

Yvonne I hope you make lost of money with your garage sale! That is something that we don't see in South Africa we have pawn shops were you can sell al your second hand stuff.

I hope all of you are going to have a lovely weekend (I have lots of washing to do because I did not feel like it during the week )

Cant wait to report on my weight loss on Monday, my tummy already feels a little flatter, I assume it is because I did not eat any bread of sugar stuff for the last week.

Thanks for all your friendly words and support!

Buy Buy

Hensa
PS. I dont seem to get this colour thing right Yvonne how do you do it
Old 08-18-2001, 06:53 PM   #11  

Default Can't believe it

Hey guys. I've been on 3FC for about 6 weeks now and wouldn't you know, just last Thursday, I got diagnosed with PCOS. I got on 3FC thinking I needed to look in the low-carb section to sort of re-vamp my diet because I was on my own, just lowering calories and exercising more. I started in late June at 214 and am now at 202. And I found this. Problem is, I'm 25 and wanting to get pregnent.

Jennifer and others who might be on Glucophage, do you know anything about taking it with pregnancy? I was really devastated when the doctor told me it was due to hyperinsulinism. My father is a diabetes and has been since he was 27 years old. Now my body is telling me "look out or else I'm going to do the same thing". I grew up with my dad taking shots all the time and I do realize that you can still leading a normal life, but I also know enough about it to avoid it at all costs. So here I am, starting my low-carb diet. The good new is I am still ovulating so there's still a good chance I can get pregnant, I'm so glad. Does anyone know if there is an increased risk of getting gestational diabetes during pregnancy with this condition, it seems to me like there would be. I'm supposed to get a call from my doctor early next week with the lab work results but the symptoms and the sonogram basically told her that this is what I have. I will be sure and ask her about the gestional diabetes and Glucophage during pregnancy, just wanted to know if you knew anything, I get kind of antsy sometimes.

I'm so glad that I found this section of 3FC and will definitely keep track of this thread.

Sheli

Old 08-19-2001, 06:11 PM   #12  

Angry Evening All!!

Man oh man have I been busy. Been working on getting my substitute teaching license and we've also been tossing up the idea of starting a business. Made $200 at our garage sale this weekend. Not too bad, when I didn't have much to sell, just good stuff, priced a bit more than .10cents each. LOL

One of Sam's friends could potentially come to visit, maybe stay the night this week (and it's going to be my TOM *sigh*). He's applying for a job at Sam's work. Another electrician. He doesn't like fat chicks. Having to deal with those feelings....Sam says.."honey, you HAVE to know, I'd always pick you over a friend". Still makes me nervous, want to make a good impression and be accepted as I am also.

Had the MOST incredible thing happen this weekend. The apartments near us have been sold to a man who's made a HUGE living here in Seymour. He owned a bar/restaurant and sold that. Now's he's getting into property rentals and business consulting. Familiar with small businesses. He was over supervising the "renovations". He's making them into Luxury Apartments. Behind us is a corn field....turning it into a golf course. We'll get to look out over a beautiful course. How nice is that?

Starting asking him a few simple questions about opening a bookstore/cyber coffee house/cafe. He went nuts. He wants Sam and I to come in and give us a feasiblity study for FREE. He has one piece of property (remember the restaurant/bar from above). Has a cherry wood bar (over 100 yo), on one side, a huge dining room on the other (see the bookstore there) and in the back (there used to be a small carry-out ONLY pizza place) for Sam to do a computer repair and used computer building place. We'd sell the computers he'd build in the bookstore at the front. Decorate the walls with art from local artists from the art center (owned and funded by John Mellencamp - with potential to meet him - how cool is that). The guy that runs it would love to some wine tasting on Sundays (when we'd be closed) - See profit without having to be there. There is a waitress (from the coffee shop we go to here in town) who can build computers almost as good as Sam, who was a bartender.....see a 3rd partner/manager. She's been wanting to get out of waitressing. Only works 20 hrs a week now and has potential to work for free (like me) at first for at least 20 hrs a week. She has a daughter Kassie's age. I REALLY like her, we've been friends for a couple of years now.

We're thinking coffee bar, where people can come and drink cappuchino and read the books/magazines they've just purchased through the swinging doors next door. Having, coffee drinks, including Irish Coffee and pre-bottled wines. But keeping it family in that alcohol will not be the primary thing, sitting out there in the open. Starting out we'd have a few computers in the cafe with Internet access. They pay for Internet time, and drink their cappuchinos....Hmmmm sounds like a fun place to hang out and drink MORE cappuchino.

How about this. Having, homemade biscotti (fat free choices of course), about 2-4 treats daily - at least 2 lower calorie choices too.

The beauty of this whole project is investing in several small mini-businesses meaning potential to protect yourself, by not putting your eggs all in one basket.

Here's the deal there is NO cappuchino places in all of the whole town, there is NO bookstore, and there is no computer repair in the whole town.

Our landlord came over this weekend and talked to Sam and I about purchasing the duplex we live in. He's wanting to travel extensively and won't be around a lot and thought he wouldn't be such a great landlord. If we did this our rent would go from $550 to about $200-$300, cause we'd collect rent from the neighbors. The value of the property will skyrocket with the golf-course behind us and we'd consider eventually buying another home and using this as rental property. Cool huh?

Just thought I'd put all the above to get to know you all better. I'm hoping it's OK, to get to know each other besides our "body troubles". I guess I'm more than my ovaries. LOL

Hensa - I'm thinking if PCOS is caused by Insulin Resistance than you'd still have it, but I'm NO expert by any means. Doesn't this have more to do than just our ovaries?? I'm not sure.

On the color thing. When I want to use color, I select it at where you start the reply and click the color I want. When I'm done I click the button that says "Close current tag". That seems to work.

Sheli I'm thinking the Glucophage, make the body (ovaries) work better, so pregnancy is far more likely. Have you investigated that? I just read on another board, that a woman's doctor took her off the Glucophage when the woman got into her 2nd trimester. So that would be up to your doctor, I'd suppose. Good luck. I managed a baby WITHOUT Glucophage and the help of Clomid. Keep us posted.

Well, that's it for now. Off to get groceries and some tennis shoes for my daughter.

Yvonne
Old 08-19-2001, 08:54 PM   #13  

Hey Guys,
i found out something interesting this weekend, i was talking to a friend of mine about weightloss, she is a model...and is toning up more so she can get more work, and i said yeah i have PCOS, she said REALLY?? so do i!! lol, hows that? i have known her for like 15yrs and i didnt know that....and well im thinking that truely blows the theory that ppl with PCOS have to be overweight....and no she doesnt starve herself coz she is a model, actually she ate the chocolate cake i passed on when we were out! i did give her the third degree to make sure she really has it...and yup she sure does, lol, just cant trust these skinny ppl lol. so there u go, something interesting for me anyways...
Monica
Old 08-19-2001, 10:14 PM   #14  

Default Skinny People with PCOS

Ok, here's what I've heard about skinny people and PCOS. There are some people who are skinny, but it is rare indeed. The nurse at my doctors office has a daughter in the same boat. It took FOREVER to diagnose her because it is rare. Also, she NEVER bleed. I wonder if this has anything to do with the opposite. It seems the women I've talked to bleed ALL THE TIME when they are heavy. Is this NOT true for anyone here?

I WAS skinny all my life until about 19 yrs old. I went on an EXTREME diet to get TOO THIN (which I achieved through starvation and EXTREME exercise). When I went back to normal, but body did the old "I'm going to store up in case she starves me again" and after about 20lbs, my periods came 24/7 and then all the other symptoms of the syndrome popped up.

I'm wondering if I had not done that, if I would have remained thin. I wonder if the WEIGHT is what aggraved and brought out the PCOS symptoms. From what I've read, if you have it, it can remain "dormant" and still be there, although you have no symptoms.

Anyone want to respond. I will say, I can't say any of the above is a hard fast rule, just my observations.

Yvonne
Old 08-20-2001, 03:52 AM   #15  

i have been informed that putting on weight can bring on the symptoms of PCOS, infact i was told by my doctors if i could lose the weight i had gained, that most of my symptoms may disapear. infact i have found this to be true, i would have bleeding for weeks on end, then no bleeding for months and months. when i lost quiet a bit of weight i actually started to get my regular period back, i had basically a 28 days cycle for 3 months, but then i went on the pill, so im not too sure what would have happened if i haddnt done that. from what i have read its kind of a nasty cycle with pcos, that it is aggravated by ur weight, but at the same time its harder to lose weight....go figure...????
Monica
Closed Thread