Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Not Getting Enough Protein

View Full Version : Not Getting Enough Protein

penpal
05-17-2006, 10:24 PM
I've been trying to increase my protein without raising my total calories too much but I can't seem to get more than 20% of my total calories (I'd like to be at 30%).

Cottage cheese & yogurt are a bit on the high calorie side and I don't eat any red meat, just a little chicken and fish. Any ideas on low calorie protein sources? I'm not all that keen on egg whites but if you have any ideas how to make them more palatable, I'd be interested because I know they have lots of protein. Thanks!

angel-eyes
05-17-2006, 11:24 PM
Hi......a very easy way to add more protein is to make protein shakes. Most nutrition stores and yes, even Costco; sell soy protein and whey protein powders. Add to this milk or juice and toss in some fruit if you like and with the help of a blender......whips up into a great shake. My protein powder from Costco comes in a huge 6lb canister for only $20. Some may vary, but mine has 22 gr. protein per scoop, 1 carb and 2 gr fat. I' be eating alot of egg whites and chicken to up my amounts!!! Another quick and easy way is to slice up an apple and dip it into 1 T of peanut butter. I didn't believe it would be a good match until I tried it awhile ago and now I LOVE IT!!! Peanut butter and other nuts are a great protein source AND it helps your cholesterol. As for another snack idea.....Quaker makes a granola type bar called "Q smart" and the peanut butter/choc is my fave. It adds protein like no other granola bar and is low in calories and carbs. GOOD LUCK!!

Lyria
05-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Legumes and soy products are a good source of protein. I swapped milk for soy in my breakfast and tea etc and I eat legumes 3-4 times a week if not more.

Wholegrains are also high in protein, so wholegrain breads, pasta etc.

I eat a TONNE of yoghurt and it hasnt affected my weightloss. And by tonne I mean up to (and sometimes more than) 600gms a day. I have natural low-fat plain yoghurt and usually mix in some frozen berries and have that for lunch.

My total calorie intake through a normal day is between 1200 and 1400.

Meg
05-18-2006, 04:08 AM
You might find some ideas that work for you in this recent thread: How to up my protein? (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84495) ;)

penpal
05-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for your help everyone - now I have few new ideas to try and increase my protein. :)