South Beach Diet - The 2006 Gardening Thread

View Full Version : The 2006 Gardening Thread

beachgal
05-17-2006, 10:51 AM
I really loved the gardening thread last year...I learned so much from you wise chickies with huge green thumbs! :idea: Plus, I'm hoping that this brings Sil out of hiding...I've missed you, girl! :hug:

So, what's doing in your garden? Have you found any weird plants/weeds that you need identified? Post pics here! What did you plant? What are you hoping to grow in your veggie garden? Any pics of how the garden's looking?
Let's hear all about it!

We got our seeds and cuttings last week for our veggie garden. Hope to get them in on Saturday. We've got: tomatoes (plum, big boy, and grape), green beans (fillet and bush), zucchini (a small variety and a big one), petite spaghetti squash, carrots, cucumbers, mesclun mix, dill, basil, parsley, rhubarb, and we hope to get a blueberry bush as well. It's going to be a yummy gardening year! :T

We've got tons of doin's in the rest of the yard, too! Lots of planting...several perennials (astilbe, bayberry, some new ones I've forgotten the name of, coral bells, caladium, etc.), a ton of annuals (I do a mix of tons of different annuals for our front walkway and fill our parterre--a sunken garden--with impatiens). I also have hanging baskets to fill. I'm trying to brighten up the huge open space under our hemlocks which is very shady. I found a ton of different yellow, lime green, or silver/grey plants to put in there...hopefully at least one will make it. :lol: I also found a couple plants to put in on our corner where it's incredibly dry and nothing has ever grown. We'll see how that works out. ;)

I'm most proud of the hellebore (lenten rose) that came back this year! I bought it on the cheap last year...it looked half dead, so it was only a couple dollars. It looks amazing now and has already produced two maroon flowers. So pretty! :love: My hydrangea also made it back...the first one to survive the winter (my fifth try!)! :dancer: It's a blue one and I'm hoping that it blooms. Right now it's just making tons of leaves. The branches from last year are staying bare. Should I cut them off? :?:

Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your gardens!

Here are a couple pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/beachgalgarner/IMG_4210.jpg My hellebore flower.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/beachgalgarner/seantillsmall.jpg DH tilling the veggie garden. Our 15 square yards of mulch pile is in the foreground. The weeds are way too high in the grass...DH killed them off the week after this pic was taken.

Barb0522
05-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Wonderful thread!

We are already picking yellow summer squash, chili peppers and grape tomatoes. We have several other varieties of tomatoes (small ones do best in our heat), cayenne and bell peppers, eggplants and onions.

Herbs are doing very well. We have oregano, rosemary, thyme, parsley, cilantro and catnip as well as mint and Mexican mint marigold that just grows wild.

cottagebythesea
05-17-2006, 07:23 PM
We used to put in a veggie garden, but my Dad always gets his feelings hurt when we refuse the veggies from his garden, so we just quit putting one in. We get more than enough from him! I do have 2 tomato plants and some basil, though. Each year we add more and more perrenials to our beds, but I just planted 3 flats of mixed marigolds in our front yard, and I want to plant some dark blue lobelia in with them. I still have to get some impatiens my all-time favorites) ,for the shady areas around the patio, and I'm putting a colorful mix of petunias, Gerbera daisies, verbena, etc. in the planters and hanging baskets. It costs us a fortune every year, but it's so worth it!
Laurie, wait another week or so on your hydrangea, and if the branches don't show any new growth by then, cut them back.

beachgal
05-18-2006, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the advice on the hydrangea, Cottage! Your plantings sound gorgeous, especially the marigolds and lobelia! :love: Yellow and blue is my favorite color combo!

Barb, your garden sounds absolutely amazing!!! It joins the list of "Reasons Why I Want To Come Back Next Time As Barb's Kid" :lol: Your family must be eating so well with all that wonderful produce! I envy your early growing season! What kind of onions are you growing? Did you start with seeds, plants, or sets? I'd love to grow silverskins because we buy about $5 worth every week, but I can't seem to find any anywhere. :?:

Barb0522
05-18-2006, 09:26 AM
I plant my onions from sets. This year I planted red onions since I buy them a lot and they aren't as cheap as the other types. Unfortunately something (probably squirrels) dug up most of them. I have more I can put down, I just need to find some time. It is great that we can plant so early here. We actually have a Spring and a Fall planting season and many things die off in the summer because it gets too hot. That's why I like to do stuff like peppers that can handle the heat. I chop and freeze the peppers and then I always have some in the freezer.

I think I need to be picking the squash a little sooner though. The one I snacked on yesterday was a little tough.

beachgal
05-19-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm so envious of your planting seasons, Barb!

Squirrels like onions? :faint: Oy! We have a row of tulips planted on both sides of our front walkway. This year the squirrels ate half the ones on one side and all the ones on the other side. :tantrum: I'm so frustrated with them, as much as I love their antics. They even ate my daffodils, which are *supposed* to be squirrel-proof. Guess no one sent the memo to the squirrels. :lol:

mo_berry
05-21-2006, 05:17 AM
I planted a lily garden last year and was worried it wouldn't come back this year, to my suprise it did and I was so excited, I thought the moles and voles ate the bulbs over the winter.... WELL the deer have eaten the tops off about half of the lilies...GRRR!!! They also ate the top off a cherry tree (just a baby tree)....Can't wait to go out and see what they had for their midnight snack last night.....

beachgal
05-22-2006, 02:27 AM
Mo, I'm so sorry! :yikes: How awful! Have you looked into deer repellent? I got some stuff that's supposed to work for small critters...it's basically a bunch of different kinds of pepper. I've seen in the Park Seed catalog (www.parkseed.com, I think) that they have a product made of urine from predators (i.e. foxes, wolves, etc.) that is supposed to repel deer and squirrels. However, it's something like $14! :eek: I guess if your plants cost more than that and this stuff works, it's worth it!

We planted like crazy people in between the downpours and hail this weekend. Got the veggie garden in (YAY!!!), the impatiens in the parterre, and the mixed annuals along the front walkway. DH did a bunch more weeding and mulching on the side yard and I did some extra planting...hanging baskets, tomatoes in containers, a couple more containers, and some plants in the tricky areas (dry and shady) in the yard. I'm so thrilled to have it all done! :dancer:

mo_berry
05-22-2006, 07:45 AM
I need to get some deer repellent this week...
And more flowers and veggies...There might be frost tonight so I need to wait... Just when I thought we were done with the frost! For weeks it's been warm!
I guess if you are planting your veggies up there in NY I can get mine in down here in PA.....

beachgal
05-23-2006, 02:58 AM
Yup...you can put yours in...but do know that after all that work, we had to spend an hour tonight draping everything in plastic against the threat of frost. :eek: Yikes!!! I hope our plants are okay! :crossed:

Ruthxxx
05-23-2006, 08:59 AM
Frost, my fluffy butt! We had hail yesterday that looked just like snow. My pansies are riddled! We didn't have a killing frost but things are looking pretty unhappy. I have nothing planted outside at the moment and will really harden off stuff when I do it later this week if it ever warms up! It's 42º at the moment. The temp has dropped since I got up.

beachgal
05-23-2006, 05:55 PM
:lol3: about it never warming up...you aren't kidding! But it feels like 70 outside here, though it's supposed to get down to 37 tonight. I have shorts on! :rolleyes: I figure that's just because I'm going to CA... :lol: Tomorrow it really is supposed to be 70; the weatherman gave us permission to plant tomatoes and impatiens. (ours have been in for several days now...)

I'm sending warmth up to you, Ruthie!!! :sunny:

Barb0522
05-23-2006, 06:05 PM
I need a good way to deal with caterpillars! I went out to the garden today and noticed my bell pepper plant had no leaves. Then I noticed the pepper on it was half gone and there is a huge caterpillar on it! I've never had that problem before.

Then I had pill bugs eating one of the summer squash! One the plus side, I did bring in a bunch of cayenne peppers which I sliced up and froze. I touched my lips afterwards and now my lips are burning. :(

The okra are starting to grow as are the eggplants. I did bring in a bunch of oregano to dry. I love using my own herbs. It really saves money at the grocery store.

beachgal
07-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Yikes! I really let this thread fall behind! :o

Barb, did you find a remedy for caterpillars? :?: I'm at a loss...but I'm sorry about your bell peppers! Makes me want to go take a peek at mine... How are things in your garden now? Do you plant new things mid-season since you have such a long growing time? Here we are lucky to get four months...if that.

Our garden is doing great! I'm thrilled at the progress of our tomatoes and lettuces. The zucchini, cucumbers and individual spaghetti squashes are doing well, but have started getting powdery mildew, which killed them off last year. I went online and read a ton about using a 10-30% milk mixture and spraying that on the leaves...it seems to work really well. Did that yesterday and am :crossed: that it works! So excited to be gardening semi-organically. :D

Half our green beans didn't come up, so DH planted pumpkins and radishes two weeks ago. They've started coming up and we'll see what happens. I thinned out our carrots the other day...the bunnies are enjoying the thinned ones.

The rest of the garden is doing pretty well. The hydrangea bloomed and it is blue!!! :cloud9: I'm in heaven!!!

What's doing in your garden? (and where is Sil??? :?: )

JessieW
07-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Does anyone do herb gardens either inside or in a flowerbox? We are moving into a townhouse next week where I'll have a decent-sized patio, but won't be allowed to plant herbs in the ground. I really want to try to grow herbs to save money. The ones I really enjoy are rosemary, chives, oregano, and basil. Anyone have advice? I really have a black thumb...lol...as I look over at my poor dying plant in my office!

Jessie

Ruthxxx
07-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Jessie, those herbs will do well in a flower box in a sunny spot. You are so lucky to live in that garden zone where rosemary thrives and doesn't have to be bought and planted every spring. I've tried bringing it in but it gets powdery mildew and croaks. You could also grow a bay tree in a pot. Have fun! Parsley and mint are also good "potager" herbs.

JessieW
07-17-2006, 02:50 PM
I hate parsley (I think I must be the only person ever!) but mint and bay are great ideas!! I may be tracking you down, Ruth, when I get them planted!(That is, if it ever gets cool enough to go outside again!!)

:)

Jessie

Ruthxxx
07-17-2006, 03:08 PM
My gardens are not spectacular but sure look better than last year's non-event when I was really limping and also dealing with my DH problems. The front perennial bed is much improved although still overgrown with a pink Malva forest. I do have shastas, roses, daylilies and oriental lilies in bloom out there and some annuals tucked into the bare spots left when I dug up the overgrown daffodils.

The veggie garden? Well, things will be coming in late but they will happen. I've been eating sugar snap peas, lettuces, onions, chard and herbs and the zucchini is in blossom so stand back! My beans are very late - just blooming now - and the tomatoes are real slowpokes this year, even the cherry ones. I planted pretty late and the weather did not cooperate. And then we have the deer problem! The 7000 garlic plants are looking great!

The Dog Garden has some bloomage but also has four foot tall sow thistles that need to be turfed out. :( The Girls have established a traffic pattern through the perennials that have survived so that garden will be redone next year - if I ever finish the front beds! It's a good thing I love gardening!

I must get some pictures up.

babz
07-17-2006, 04:30 PM
I don't have a vegetable garden but I have a nice flower garden. I'll try to take some pics and post them. My hydrangea is beautiful this year. I planted it about 3 years ago when we moved in and this is the first year that it has bloomed! I'll take some pics. It's absolutely gorgeous. Also, I have Black Eye Susans (tons of them), a few glads (which are now blooming), a miniature rose bush, and some 4 o'clocks. They're nice but they seem to overtake the garden. I have to dig them up and split them up this fall. I have a clematis. It hasn't bloomed yet (this is my second year with it) but it grows like crazy! Maybe next year it'll bloom.

Barb0522
07-17-2006, 05:04 PM
beachgal - I read that there is a type of wasp that can be used to keep caterpillars under control. I never did anything with mine but it was just the red pepper plant that got eaten. I'm having a real problem with my garden because of the heat and the fact that we can't run our sprinklers but twice a week. I really need to start hand watering but there just is never enough time! Yes, I normally do two plantings. It is still too hot to start the second. I think that is normally done in August. My herbs come back year after year since they can tolerate the cold well. And the mint just grows wild!

Kiko
07-18-2006, 09:33 AM
I am SUCH a gardening amateur! We can only water once a week using our sprinkler system and I don't get out to hand water enough.

My garden is super basic- I have a flat of Vinca planted that I actually bought at Walmart. Those are doing wonderfully! I also have some Lantana planted, which I love. (That is what my avatar is showing). Then I have several Petunias planted. Pretty basic, but it is better than last year, which was nothing!!!!!

beachgal
07-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Hey, water-conservation chickies...being a CA girl at heart, I hear you about not being able to run the sprinklers often. I don't know whether it'd be allowed or useful for you, but being I'm lazy (and hate what water on the leaves does to my roses and tomatoes, etc.), I put in a veggie garden irrigation system. Sounds super complicated, but I could have put it in within an hour if I weren't slapping mosquitos every five seconds! :lol: I got it at Wal*Mart for about $15, I think. There's a main solid hose that goes down the middle, then thin (1/4") soaker hoses that go off to each side. It's really easy to hook up the hose to one end and leave it for an hour...the water just seeps through the soaker hoses, so it uses very little water, and delivers it just to the base of the plants, so it keeps the weed issues down a bit, too. Might help you bridge between sprinkler times without having to hand water up a storm. :D

Ruth, I can't wait to see pics of your garden! :drool: You are so great with plants...and composition, too. :yes: Sorry about the weather!

Babz, my hydrangea bloomed this year, too! I'm in love with it...I just stare at it dreamily for what seems like hours! :lol: Seriously, it's my sixth try at getting a hydrangea to live and the fact that it survived was enough...that it also flowered (profusely!) and that the flowers were blue, just like I wanted, seems an utter miracle! :cloud9: I'd love to see pics of your garden! I enjoy black-eyed susans so much!

Barb, that's so cool about your mint! I don't think it comes back here, but I've heard it can grow wild. Sounds like fun! Sorry about the caterpillars! Cultivating wasps seems extreme... :yikes: I wonder if you could put any kind of spray (organic?) on the leaves that would convince the caterpillars that the plant isn't tasty. :chin:

Here are some pics of the garden:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/beachgalgarner/IMG_5287.jpg
My Hydrangea...just one of the five flower heads. <happy sigh>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/beachgalgarner/IMG_5294.jpg
Our Veggie garden, tomatoes in the front are getting huge!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/beachgalgarner/IMG_5299.jpg
A close-up of our individual spaghetti squashes. I'm so excited to try them!

beachgal
07-28-2006, 04:30 PM
So, found out that the problem with my tomatoes is blight. The guy at the local farm store recommended an organic spray from Cornell. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it does the trick...especially since I sprayed it yesterday and it poured today. ;)

We've got tons of zucchini, a spaghetti squash and a cucumber, lots of green tomatoes and a couple of ripe grape tomatoes, and lots of green beans (which I hope we will have tomorrow?

My hydrangeas grow prettier every day. I'm in love! :love:

How's your garden?

Barb0522
07-28-2006, 05:04 PM
That sounds good, Laurie! My peppers and okra are still doing well. I'm still getting a little eggplant. But my tomatoes have mostly succumbed to the heat and lack of water. I can't remember a year when it was this dry.

little grasshopper
07-29-2006, 07:40 AM
mo - I have a deer problem too. They've eaten my rose garden every year I've been here. they eat everything from my flower boxes......they ONLY thing I found that worked was letting the dogs free at night. But that's a risk I don't take too often. The last time I did for the night (I live in the country) maggie brought home half a deer carcus and got parasites and had eye problems for a good while from it.

So - long story short. I've tried most everything and finally decided to just give in and join them. I bought corn and I feed the darn things now!!! They love it and I'm not mad anymore. They aren't eating as much of my flowers now either.

Jalene5
07-31-2006, 11:10 AM
I am a fellow, avid, Green-thumber wanna be.. Does that make sense? I don't have a garden (DH thinks they are ugly????), but I do have tons of perenials. I order all my plants online. This is my third year and I am really starting to get into it. I still don't think I am that good, but I certainly do enjoy gardening. On day I was at Home Depot and I had one of those HUGE flat carts full of shrubs, checking out. They lady behind me in line said, "Oh, that looks like soooo much work!" I turned and said, "It's not work, it's therapy. Gardening is like raising children, but easier. Every year, they come back bigger and better, but you don't have to pay for college and they don't talk back." LOL. I will have to take some pictures and post them. Does anyone have any Liatris planted? They are my new favorites and I wondered how hard they are to keep alive!!
:hug: I am so glad I found this thread!!
Jalene

beachgal
07-31-2006, 12:42 PM
Welcome, Jalene! Where are you upstate? I'm in the Finger Lakes region. :) Liatris is really easy to grow, IMHO. I planted mine two years ago and it's come up faithfully every year. I water it a bit and it gets lots of sunlight...that's about it! :) I love the way you look at gardening. It's a great metaphor!!! I always loved that saying, "One is closer to God's heart in a garden than anywhere else on earth." :goodvibes:

Little Grasshopper, what a great way to deal with the deer! There are some repellents out there, but they seem costly. There are also guides for flowers that are 'deer proof', but I have to admit that our deer seem to have not gotten the memo on those flowers. ;)

Ruthxxx
07-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Well, the Fair is over and I am back to my summer Love - the garden. The tomatoes are late but are starting - especially the cherry tomatoes. I could eat them just like candy. I've a had a couple of beefsteak 'maters and my burgundy beans are starting to produce. Things are very late this year because I planted late.

My front perennial bed was just lovely this year and I am slowly adding perennials (the way to go!) and trying for late summer colour. Right now my pink oriental lilies are the stars. Here's a picture from last year as I can't find my camera at the moment! :shrug: The Sweet autumn clematis is in bloom too - I think I have a shot of the flower somewhere.

I need to water, weed, split stuff and generally get organized but it's too darned how! I do have to soaker hoses on right now though and worked a good two hours on the garlic harvest. Now to find those pictures.

Ruthxxx
07-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Here's the Autumn Clematis. (http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/Ruthxxx/?action=view&current=fc3894dd.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch2) I didn't take this picture but my pergola is completely covered with fabulous frothy blossoms that smell heavenly!

Drat! My pink lilies picture is too big. (The new version of VB Bulletin will resize our pics for us! :cb: ) However, here's a picture of annual Lavaters "Silver Cup" that I grow from seed and just love!

Jalene5
07-31-2006, 01:12 PM
I am south-east of Binghamton! I was just reading another posts and saw your stats!! What an inspiration!!
Thanks for the info about the Liatris. I get my inspiration for adding new perrenials by looking at other people's landscaping. I saw them in pretty purple the other day and knew I just had to find out what they were!!
Right now the star of the show for my perennials is a toss up between my beautiful pink bee balm, bright purple tall hybrid phlox, and my black eyed-susans.
I actually have a funny story about my annuals I planted this year:
I went out and bought the very expensive planting flats, with the very expensive soil, and the very expensive seeds (you get the point right, it was too expensive). Planted the seeds and took all of the leftover seeds and discarded them in my back (unweeded, horrible looking) garden. Well after a month all of the flowers that I grew inside were DEAD. Don't know if it was overwatering, underwatering, or ????! Well two days ago, I decided to finally head out back to weed the back garden and decide what to do with it AND LOW AND BEHOLD!! FLOWERS!! EVERYWHERE!! LOL Big, Huge, Healthy, Beautiful FLOWERS. And not one scrap of hard work.. So my task this week, is to dig them up and move them out front :) LOL

beachgal
08-11-2006, 02:11 PM
:lol3: about your annuals, Jalene! Just goes to prove my mom's belief that plants grow best when you ignore them! ;) I'd love to see pics of your garden! I need to get some phlox...saw my neighbors and it's delicious!
Next time I'm in Binghamton (to get my Kohl's fix... ;) ), we'll have to grab lunch or something! :)

Ruth, your garden is, as always, a wonder! We have cherry tomatoes too (actually, they're grape, but same difference!) and they are SO good! Your lilies sound gorgeous! We had quite a few this year...I love the way they smell! Love the Silver cup...what kind of flower is it? Your clematis looks so cute! I love things that smell good!

Our veggie garden is doing pretty good. The tomatoes are so leggy this year! I had to restake them several times and they keep growing! I keep cutting off the top part and then they divide and grow some more... The milk treatment seemed to work for the mildew, but I put a new application on last Tuesday and this time it doesn't seem to be working as well. :?:

Do cilantro and dill always die off even if you don't let them go to seed? I kept cutting off the flowers before they opened, but eventually it just died off and stopped making leaves. Wonder why?

Our flowers are doing really well overall. I love my hydrangea...it just makes me smile!!! The elephant ears I started indoors did great and I transplanted them under our shade trees. They seem really happy...one even sent up a flower! I didn't know that they flowered at all!

Ruthxxx
08-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Yup, cilantro and dill grow really fast and are over quickly. It's a good idea to make successive plantings so you have it fresh all the time. My basil is doing wonderfully well this year so there'll be lots of pesto making over the winter. I love that stuff!

Today I finally dug out a huge patch of lily of the valley, sifted the soil to get out the roots, amended it and planted my poor David Austin rose (http://www.botanus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=96000-1&Category_Code=s8-6&Product_Count=0) that's been blooming in its pot on my front step. After three flushes of blooms, it looked relieved to be in the garden at last. I'll water it some more tonight and mulch it in the morning. I have a new hosta to bung in tomorrow - 'Sum and Substance'. They are wonderfuk adaptable and easy care plants and I'm moving more towards that kind of thing in my "old age". Another non-botanic name for hosta is "slug food"! :( Here it is. (http://gurneys.com/product.asp?pn=13780&sid=502587&EID=GL2000000339?gclid=CKi3pcfY2IYCFRdcPgodNAiU3g&bhcd2=1155335611)

You know, I must be in better shape physically and mentally this season as I'm still keen and enthused about my garden despite hot and dry days and tons of weeds that seem to think they are winning the battle! I am definitely cutting way back on the size of my meadow garden for next year. Why on earth would I plant a whole package of bean seeds for one person and there really is no need for 27 tomato plants! Hold me back next spring, chickies!

beachgal
08-14-2006, 12:24 PM
I am definitely cutting way back on the size of my meadow garden for next year. Why on earth would I plant a whole package of bean seeds for one person and there really is no need for 27 tomato plants! Hold me back next spring, chickies!

:lol3: I hear you, Ruth! My eyes are always bigger than my weed-picking fingers can handle! :rolleyes:

Your garden sounds gorgeous!!! I love hostas...just need to get up the guts to separate mine next year...they are SO ready...I'm just nervous!

Our 'cottage garden' is going to be my focus next year. The eejits who planted it used a space that used to be a greenhouse. The floor was slate pieces laid on ground...of course that means that everything just grows up through them!!! And the beds are actually just dirt mounded on top of the slate...to get the slate out, I'd have to rip the entire garden, perennials, roses and all, up. :yikes: That's not going to happen...but I can at least take up the slate that's exposed and put landscape fabric underneath or spend a summer killing everything with roundup or something!!! I got a 'garden of weedin' sign from a friend for my birthday and promptly plunked it in the cottage garden...it's sadly appropos! :(

Thanks, Ruth...next year I'll be smarter about the dill and cilantro! I have to figure out what I might be able to plant in that corner now that the weather is starting to cool down.

Our rhubarb never came up...think I should dig it up and investigate? :?:

Ruthxxx
08-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Yup, ditch the rhubarb. It's toast.

How about planting some chard or spinach in the dill and cilantro corner? There's still time and they'd be great for fall greens. The weather is going to get cooler and they both like the cool days.

By the way, vinegar kills weeds and is kinder to our planet than Round-Up.

Hostas are really tough plants. You can split them now if you like - just cut back the leaves to 1/3 to reduce the shock. Spring is better as you can see where to divide much better. I just jump on the shovel and take off chunks. They survive beautifully. Even small bits form a nice rosette.

I've been tidying outside and am ready for a nap.

2BFIT1
08-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi everybody :wave:
Hey Laurie!! Thanks for thinking about me.:hug:

It sounds like you all are having a great time in your gardens this season. Laurie, your garden and veggies look wonderful. All of your hard work has paid off:carrot:

I haven't added much to my gardens this season, just maintanence at this time. I would love to have a few cooler and less humid days in the near future, as I do need to get out there and do sme weeding:p

I'll catch ya'all on the daily.

Ruthxxx
08-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Quickie. Jet from Georgia who is a horticulturist (and a really neat lady!) brought this plant (http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=47013&PrevMainPage=advsearchresults&scChannel=Vines%20and%20Climbers%20AS&SearchText=p11.v90;p4.v9&OfferCode=SH3) to our Garden Meet. Unforunately it's zones 7-10 but I may try to get one to grow as a houseplant this winter.

Sil, she works in a huge nursery in GA - wholesale only, I think - but the plants should hit the market this spring. I'm sure it would do well in your area.

beachgal
08-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Sil!!! :hug: Great to see you! :D Glad you're enjoying your garden...it's nice to just relax in it for a summer.

Ruthie, would I just spray the vinegar on the weeds with a spray bottle? Would it work if it rained or should I re-apply? I'm always up for using less chemicals! :yes: I picked up some organic Broccoli seeds on sale last week and some mustard greens too...figure they should be able to take the cold, huh? I'll stick 'em in the herb corner and where the rhubarb was supposed to be. Poor rhubarb! Wonder if I should have planted it in the fall? :?: That jasmine is gorgeous!

Ruthxxx
08-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Isn't the jasmine gorgeous? I just phoned and they don't ship to Canada! :(
I'd use the spray bottle and reapply. It sure works in cracks in patio stones.

2BFIT1
08-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Is that jasmine an annual or perennial in those zones? It's very pretty and would look lovely around some of my hostas.

Ruthxxx
08-22-2006, 02:48 PM
It's perennial, SIL. Lucky you to be able to grow it outside.

beachgal
08-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Ruthie, if I knew it would make it, I'd take it to Montreal for you to pick up! ;) What's the deal with not shipping to Canada? As if it's another country or something! ;) No, really...I don't get that...must be some serious laws in place. It's not like plants can't grow over the border... ;)