Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-15-2006, 08:46 AM   #1  
Going all the way!!!

S/C/G: 183/183/130

Height: 5'2"

Default New to lifting...

Hey folks! I usually hang out over at the 20-somethings board, but I just got back into weight lifting this weekend and realized that 1) I really missed it! and 2) there's A LOT I don't know and thought I'd seek out the professionals here for a bit of advice. I used to lift in high school, but just followed the routine the coach assigned for the day...now that I'm trying to get back into it on my own I really don't know what kind of routine to do! I work out with all men at my brother's home gym (small, but VERY nice!), and none of them know what kind of advice to give me because they just read the men's magazines and from what I hear men and women really shouldn't lift the same way, or even do the same types of exercises in some cases. I did find my max bench press yesterday (110 lbs) but otherwise I was just kind of haphazardly going from machine to machine doing random exercises with random weights.

My main goals at this point are to increase my metabolism and tone up, so from what I've heard is that I should be doing lower weights and higher reps...is that right? At the same time, I would like my max to increase to at least 125, as that is my goal weight and it would be nice to say I can bench myself. LOL My old max in high school was 115 but I weighed 112 at the time so that was a pretty cool feeling.

Here are the exercises available to me at my brother's gym:
Bench Press
Incline Bench
Decline Bench
Leg Extensions
Leg Curls
Tricep Extensions
Lat Pulls
Bicep Curls
Squats
That thing where you go up and down on tiptoes with weight on your shoulders (LOL)

My idea is to try to do 4 sets of 10 reps for each thing, except maybe lat pulls because I heard girls shouldn't do that because it gives them that V shape guys want but girls shouldn't have. I would like to change weights for each set (going in 2.5lb to 5 lb intervals, depending on the exercise)...does that sound like a good plan? If so, where should I start with the weights...maybe just starting with the bars and going up until I reach the point where the last set is pretty tough? Should I be going down in weights or up in weights (for example, starting bench at 60 lbs and ending at 45 or vice versa)? Is it OK to lift weights every day, or should I alternate? I've been riding 3-5 miles on a stationary bike before starting lifting so far to get in a little cardio too...is that still OK? Any ideas/tips/suggestions are very welcome and appreciated!! Thanks!!
TheNewChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:13 AM   #2  

It sounds like you have access to a good setup.

1. There is no such thing as 'tone up'. Either you build muscle or you don't. Either you lose fat or you don't.

2. Men and women lift the same way, using the same exercises.

3. The rep range is determined by your goals. The rep range determines your intensity. Generally, it goes this way:
- endurance: higher reps (12-20), lower weights, 50-60% of 1 rep max
- mass: medium reps (8-12), medium weights, 70-80% of 1 rep max
- strength: low reps (1-6), high weights, 85-95% of 1 rep max

Plan your workouts to hit each of the goals at some point, not in the same workout, but through maybe a month. Right now, I am doing 2 endurance, then 2 mass, then 2 strength workouts. Because strength work is so heavy, the following workout should be light to give your muscles a chance to rest.

4. Don't lift every day. Alternate cardio days and lifting days. You need to recover in between, and that way you can focus on improving your cardio on cardio days. Make sure you warm up before lifting, and stretch afterwards. If you do cardio during the same workout as lifting, cardio should be done afterwards, and then it should be moderate only. Doing cardio before lifting tires your body out and you cannot give the lifting your all.

5. You can start with full body, compound exercises to get back into things. These would be- squats, lunges, bench press, lat pulldowns, and core work. Then you can add the isolation exercises in gradually- triceps, biceps and calves.

Chest: you have benches- flat and incline. I personally don't use the decline as I have hypertension. Use both to work different areas of the chest. Use the bench to do dumbbell flyes and pullovers.

Upper back: lat pulldowns, don't worry about this exercise giving you a huge back. This is determined by your genetics. You can also add bent over barbell rows and 1 arm rows with dumbbells.

Legs: squats and lunges are the best. Use the extensions and curls as isolation exercises.

Lower back: deadlifts and straight leg deadlifts, as well as pilate type work
Abs: yoga and pilate work, crunches, reverse crunches, etc

Triceps: extensions are great; add kickbacks
Biceps: vary the type of curls- straight curl, hammer curls, concentration curls
Both biceps and triceps are worked during the chest and upper back exercises. They do not need a lot of isolation work, maybe 2-3 sets

Calves: calf raises in the machine you described, floor calf raises, one leg calf raise, and calf raise on a step or bar.

6. Increasing weights: there are many ways to split and periodize. Try different ways until you find what you like. During an exercise, you can go up in weight (BFL style), or up and down. I usually go up, ending at the highest, and ignore the going down part so the workout doesn't last too long. The highest weight is determined by what the goal is that day- endurance, mass or strength (low, medium or heavy).

Work with a weight until you can lift it comfortably for 8 reps. Then increase the weight. You won't be able to do it 8 times, so you start working at it until you can. That way you keep progressing in terms of the weight.

Hope this helps...
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:47 PM   #3  
Going all the way!!!

S/C/G: 183/183/130

Height: 5'2"

Thanks NorthernBelle, you've given me some great tips!!!
TheNewChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:51 PM   #4  

Quote:
and none of them know what kind of advice to give me because they just read the men's magazines and from what I hear men and women really shouldn't lift the same way, or even do the same types of exercises in some cases. I did find my max bench press yesterday (110 lbs) but otherwise I was just kind of haphazardly going from machine to machine doing random exercises with random weights.
Men and women should train the same way if they are aiming for the same goals. Most men are training to "get big", so you may want to train a bit differently than the guys you are lifting with.

You are naturally pretty strong if you can do a 110#full ROM benchpress without any training. A bodyweight benchpress is a nice goal to aim for. I am working on a body weight military press as a 2006 goal.
Quote:
My main goals at this point are to increase my metabolism and tone up, so from what I've heard is that I should be doing lower weights and higher reps...is that right? At the same time, I would like my max to increase to at least 125, as that is my goal weight and it would be nice to say I can bench myself. LOL My old max in high school was 115 but I weighed 112 at the time so that was a pretty cool feeling.
Maybe lots of cardio plus some low rep range, high intensity lifting? Low rep work (like power lifters do) makes you stronger without making your muscles get bigger. High rep work to failure tends to stimulate growth, which is why bodybuilders tend to do a lot of high volume work.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote