Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-12-2006, 04:11 PM   #1  
Dream Big

S/C/G: 233.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Default Question about measurments and meaning

My waist to hip ratio has reduced from 0.843 to 0.8, my shoulders have went from 52 to 50 1/2, my chest has went from 42.5 to 41. My thigh, calf, bicep, and forearm have stayed the same, and my neck went from 14.5 to 15.75 (i don't understand that one). My body fat percentage has stayed the same at 35.7% and I've gained 2 lbs. Now what exactly does this mean? Oh and why on earth is my neck bigger? My goal is to get smaller, lose weight and tone. I mean I didn't know shoulders could get smaller. I thought that was bone, and my chest got smaller???? Huh?? But my arms and legs and waist have stayed the same? Someone please explain to me how all of this works.
timmyshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #2  

Individuals lose weight at different rates and in different places. Your body will shed the weight wherever it wants, not where you want. Traditionally the belly and torso areas are the last to go.

I wouldn't worry about a 2 lb increase in scale weight. That could be from anything- water retention, what's in your digestive system, etc.

I can stay the same measurements and my body fat will go up or down a touch depending on what I weighed on that day. If you lose in the hips, but not the waist, your waist/hip ratio will go down, and vice versa. It's what counts over the long run, not weekly, as long as there is an overall downward trend.

My chest got smaller, and right now is staying the same. My shoulders got smaller but became more shapely. Lately, I have been losing in the neck and face area, enough to notice, but not enough to make a difference on the scale. My thighs got smaller, then became soft, and now are going hard and defined again. Who knows what my body is planning?

It is also difficult to measure in the exact same spot every week, so that might make a difference. I just keep measuring and recording, then analyze it at the end of the month. Anything that is extreme and outside the trend (up or down), I ignore.

Hope this helps...
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:44 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernbelle
Who knows what my body is planning?.
Well put! Who knows what's mine's planning? I don't seem to! I just keep going with a healthy diet, weights, cardio and sleep, and a touching faith that GOOD THINGS WILL HAPPEN.

Timmyshawn - it sounds as though you're on the right road. Keep going! And good luck!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote