PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #1  
GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!

S/C/G: 362/340/160

Default Pcos~weightloss~ttc Support

Hello to ALL!!! ALWAYSBELIEVE and I thought it might would be helpful to start a thread for us who have PCOS, trying to lose weight and are TTC. I think it would be helpful, fun and most of all, help us be accountable! We can use this thread to keep in touch with how things are going in our journey. SO SOUND OFF! Let's hear your stories. Mine will be coming shortly. Let us know what your doing to lose weight, what meds your on, tips or anything! This thread is for support!!!
amandalili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/110/110

AmandaThanks for starting the thread.

I have PCOS and I am Insulin Resistant. I am using a diet that my nutritionist set up for me. The diet is mostly calorie counting along carbs and proteins linked. My doctor sent me to see the nutritionist after the diagnose of PCOS. The goal weight the nutritionist set for me is 110 pounds for my height. But my goal is 120 and once I reach that goal I will evulate how I feel and if I need to lose more weight.

I exercise 7 days a week. I do 50-60 minutes of Pilates 5 days a week. the other 2 days a week I do weight lifting and toning for 20 minutes.

Dieting is hard enough, but add in PCOS it is a constant struggle. The most important thing for me is to take each day as it comes. And accept that I will not be perfect everyday but I must keep going to reach my goals.
alwaysbelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #3  
GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!

Hello and Welcome!!!

Just wanted to sound off and give you my story in a nutshell!!

I am 27 years old and have struggled with my weight as a child. Enough said huh! I have been married going on 9 years this October.

Approx 5 years ago I was DX with PCOS. 2 years ago my GYN put me on Metformin and Spironolactone because we thought we were ready to try to get pregnant. I took the meds for a little over a month and I have never been so sick in my entire life. It was terrible. I lost 20lbs quickly, but it was miserable! I quit taking the meds because I could not stomach the thought of taking it anymore. The good Lord had other plans for us and my husband had the opportunity to go to Iraq for a year, so TTC was put on the back burner. While he was gone, I decided to do something about this weight. I joined a gym, started a low carb eating plan and lost another 20 lbs. Total I had lost 40 lbs. I felt so much better, I could wear clothes I couldn’t have before, people were commenting on how great I looked and I was so EXCITED! I have the greatest in laws on the planet! They took me on a cruise in September and for any cruisers you know all to well that CRUISING and DIETING – especially low carb diets DON’T MIX! Then a month later my husband came home for leave. We bought a house, he went back to Iraq, Thanksgiving came, then all the Christmas festivities and New Years and I moved. I said everyday “TOMRROW I’M BACK ON TRACK”. Guess what tomorrow never came and as of today I’ve gained back 21 of the 40 lbs I have lost!!

So here I am today. And here is my plan to get the weight off and start TTC by the end of the year: Portion control, lean protein, good carbs. Gym 4 days per week regardless if I have to do it alone, and support for others in my situation via this site. I’m tired of making excuses. I am tired of being unhappy and unhealthy and I am READY to start my family!!

Will you help me be accountable?

Good Luck and God bless
Old 05-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #4  

Amanda You have a diet plan, and the motivation to reach your goals. Remember you lossed 40 pounds before, and that demonstrates you can take the weight off. You can and will be successful to reach your goals. I can relate to the miserable feelings of glucophage I did not lose any weight while on the glucophage and I didn't see any positive changes, and I was always sick. My doctor has taken me off the glucophage and I felt so much better getting it out of my system.

Today I weighed and I am down another pound. Later I am going to do some cardio for my exercise today.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #5  
GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!

Tonight will be a "MAKE IT COUNT" night for me. I will prepare the menu, meals and grocery list for the next two weeks. I think that's another area that is causing me to fail. I FAIL to plan. My husband has a quote "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL" Any ideas for low carb, lean protien meals? I am not going to lie, I will not be starting the gym again until Monday morning! Always are you a member of your local gym or do you have a exercise routine you like to follow?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #6  

Amanda Good ideal to plan your meals ahead. That is what helps to keep me on track. I plan my meals for the week. Of course there is wiggle room to change one protein for another or change a vegetable dish for another. I also plan in advance if we will be eating out. Everything looks good on a menu when hungry and I am starving. That is why I know where we will be going out to eat and I already know what to order when we arrive.

Turkey or chicken is a delicious healthy protein that can be balanced with asparagus or another vegetable, and maybe some yams. The turkey breast can be used for two or more meals, by adding in a different vegetable and carb to keep the meals from getting boring.

I don't belong to a gym I find it cheaper to take an exercise class at our local community college. A variety of classes are offered each semester and that keeps me from getting in a rut with my exercising.

What type of exercising are you planning to do at the gym?
Old 05-13-2006, 09:08 AM   #7  
GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!

Okay. I have my list ready for the grocery store and I have done enough cleaning this morning and last night to account for 2 days at the gym!!

I am a CARB-O-HOLIC, and I found myself last night trying to repalce the sweet foods I love (CAKE, ice cream and Little Debbies) with the Low carb versions and I had to stop myself. If I replace it with something else, how will I ever break the habit? Why coulnt I just be naturally THIN? Why do I have to be the one that weight loss is hard for! Why does FOOD have to be my addiction?????? I guess we all battle something! How's it going for you ALWAYS? I dont think we have anyone new yet! Too bad!!

Exactly how much more weight are you wanting to loose before you TTC or are you trying now?
Old 05-13-2006, 11:05 AM   #8  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Amanda:

Were you able to bypass your faves in the grocery store? I hope so!

About me:
I have been dx'd for several years but I went in and out of treatment 3 times. Currently I am on 2000mg of Glucophage XR. We have been TTC for over 3 years. My dh gets to go in for testing next month since it is the easiest test to get done. My Endocrinologist (not RE) told me in April that if I don't lose a considerable amount of weight by July he wants to start me on Byetta. Apprently he feels that it will work for me even though I am not diabetic. I read up on it and I don't want to start on this drug. It is not really covered by insurance and it is an injection. He never said what a considerable amount it though so I am kind of discouraged. When I saw him I weighed the heaviest I had in over a month because of TOM and my body's reaction to the new dose of Glucophage.

It is strange because right now... I don't really want DH to go in for tests. I almost would rather not know who is the cause of our problems. But then again, I want to know if we are such a long shot that it is not worth it.

Anyways as of my weighin last week I have lost 18lbs this year. Not as high as it might of been but more than all of last year so I am excited about that!

Thanks for starting this thread! Hopefully we won't be waiting to long for the baby dust to work!
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #9  
GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!

Irish! Welcome!!! Always and I are so happy your here!!!
~Thanks for asking, the grocery shopping went well. BUT ~ Tomorrow is mothers day and we (my DH and I) are hosting the mothers day festivities. AND that includes HOT APPLE PIE AND ICE CREAM! I will not promise that I will not eat any, but I can promise that I will not make a complete glutton of myself!!
~I can understand your feelings on not knowing who’s the contributing factor on your not being pregnant YET. (NOTICE I SAID YET! IT’S COMING!!!) To me it seems like one or the other would start blaming their self even though neither one of you have control over it. BUT, I have heard that male testing is very easy, and if it’s a treatable condition, it’s relatively easy and quick to fix. I know you’ll make the best decision on rather to go through with the testing or not. My prayers are with you both!!
~ What type of program are you following to loose the weight? Are you going to the gym? What type of exercise do you do?

18lbs this year is awsome! Keep up the good work!

I never thought in a million years, I’d be the one that it would have TTC issues. I come from HUGE family (my mom was 1 of 15 kids) and my whole like I have been surrounded by pregnant aunts and cousins. I always thought that when it came time for me to get pregnant it would be BOOM I’m Pregnant, just like everyone else. NOT MY LUCK!!! But I have prayed about this, and thought about this and have worried about this. The only thing I am going to continue to do is this: PRAY, follow the plan the doctor has outlined for me, diet and exercise until November (and after Nov as well). The DR. wanted me to loose at least 50lbs before actually TTC, but that was 30lbs ago, so actually I need to loose 80lb, of which 20 I have already lost. THAT WAS A LOT TO SAY! In Nov, I go back for my annual and prayerfully, I will have exceeded the target weight loss goal, I will be able to quit the pill and get pregnant! So right now I am trying to concentrate on this goal, not so much on why I really want to accomplish it ~ to start my family!

With all that being said. I have positive things all around me that make me feel a little better about the situation. I have a friend that had the LAP BAND procedure done, she is infertile. The DR performing the surgery made her sign a waiver that she would practice some type of BC for 1 year following the surgery because OBESE women ( the word OBESE makes me feel greasy) tend to be very fertile as they start dropping weight! I got very excited when I heard that!! ALSO, my best friends cousin has PCOS, she got pregnant very quickly while on Metformin and I believe 2 rounds of Clomid.

ALWAYS, are you still with us?

What do you guys think of posting each day (if you can) our calorie/food intake, exercise, water intake? I think it would be a great way to help each other be accountable.

I hope all is well with you girls! Talk with you soon!
Old 05-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #10  

Amanda That is exactly what my doctor told me about losing weight. He said the best thing for overweight women to do, who having trouble conceiving, is to lose weight with a proper diet and exercise. That is why I trying my best to get to my goal weight. Dh and I are not using any prevention so if we get pregnant now great. But if we don't get pregnant until after I reach my goal weight than that is fine too.

Mother's Day is tomorrow and I will be sharing in on the chocolate candy. I won't overdo it but it is a very special time in our family. I too am from large family and dh and I want lots of kids. We pray that we are blessed with a large healthy family very soon.

Posting daily updates works for me, and will help me stay on track and keep me accountable.

Irish Welcome.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:16 PM   #11  

hi everyone,

I am 32, and have been TTC for a year. Well, we did it for 6 months and i gained 20 lbs on the meds and decided to take a 5 month break and loss some weight. so, now i have lost 20lbs with LA weight loss and just started trying again yesterday. First day back on injections and i cried an hour before and an hour after. being TTC is really an emotional journey. i slept over 10 hours yerterday...my reaction to repronex...tired, grumpy, emotional, etc. hopefully, it will be easier as it goes.

i agree that losing weight is the best way to go, so i am hoping that if i continue to diet and exercise, those eggs will stick.

anyways, baby dust for all.

muji
mujiboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:14 PM   #12  

Muji Welcome. You have been through so much with ttc. I hope that this cycle will be your lucky cycle. Congratulations on losing 20 lbs with LA weight loss. What type of plan is LA weight loss is it a calorie counting plan or low carb plan,etc. ?

You are very close to your goal weight. I was hoping to get pregnant before reaching my goal weight. I'll have to wait and see what my body decides to do during that time. Hoping it will give me a big baby surprise soon.
If not, than reaching my goal weight won't be too bad either. As long as the baby is soon to follow me reaching goal.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:57 PM   #13  

Hi all. i want to chime in and be added to the thread.
I was Dxed with PCOS/endometriosis in 03/03. I underwent Lap Surgery a few days after the first appt., the doc said he removed most of the cyst and the endo tissue. He put me on BCP and I did that regimine for a year or two.

Me and DH got married 05/29/04 and started TTC in 08/04.. we went on until 03/05 before we sought out help. I went to an OBGYN and he said everything looked okay and my blood test all came out okay so he had DH do a SA, which came out fine okay. So we did one round of un-monitored Clomid and no luck.

I then saw a local Endo who put me on Met 1500mg for the IR, he reasoning is even thought blood work was okay that if i have PCOS I do have IR whetehr the test shows it or not. I even did the 3 hour glucose test.

Well a few months after that about August I think we went to a RE who wanted to schedule a HSG to check and see if anything is blocked or not. Well come time for the HSG and I had not got AF yet so we rescheduled for the next month. Well on CD 60 I had to go in and do a HCG blood test and when it was negative they gave me a progesterone shot to induce AF.

Well 10 days later AF showed, but the RE was booked until December for HSG, well in the meantime I quit my job that I did not like and I lost my insurance benefits. So even when the RE had an appt we could not do it due to not having coverage to pay for it.

So in April we decided to try WW again in order to loose some of the weight and see if we would have any luck the old natural way. And I am proud to say that as of last Wednesday (our weigh in day) I had lost 14.8lbs in the one month I had done WW already.

Thats about it. I did find this wonderful book though at the library. It is Preventions 3 weeks to a toner body (or something like that). It not only has a work out for each day of the 3 weeks, but it has 3 different levels so you can choose the one that works you the best. Also it has a diet plan and a grocery list of things to get from the store. I did my first days work out today and it worked me out, I will see tomorrow how I feel.
Aneles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #14  
GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!

MUJI and ANELES WELCOME!!!! I am so glad your here!!

Muji - I hope you are feeling better today! Congrats on the 15 lb weight loss. That's 18 lbs your not having to carry anymore!! What is REPRONEX?

Aneles - I would say 15 lbs! 14.8 if rounded up would be 15 lbs! You GO GIRL!! Hopefully you wont be too sore tomorrow, but normally it's the next day that's a killer! Usually after the gym, especially when I go back after having laid out for a while, I take some motrin. That helps ~ ALOT!! What type of workout did you do?

I pray that all of you are blessed with the families you are working so hard to have, and I hope next year we are able to say Happy Mothers Day to each other (even if we are only PREGNANT)!

Always - how was your mothers day festivities?

IRISH - I didnt have to fight off the apple pie and ice cream. DH was very sick this morning so mothers day dinner was rescheduled to next saturday. Guess I will deal with it then!!

Anyone going to the gym in the morning or tomorrow afternoon? Keep up the GREAT work ladies! Yall are such an inspiration!

We have 5 people! I hope this continues to grow!! God Bless
Old 05-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #15  
GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!

Today, I passed McDonalds. Normally it's a huge struggle because I want the breakfast, but I didnt!!