Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-11-2006, 03:59 PM   #1  

Default Ive come to the conclusion that..

I can no longer keep so called 'fattening foods' in my home anymore.

Hey everyone,Im a new member but ive been battling an overeating/binge eating disorder for many years now. Im 34 and its only recently that ive managed to gain some control over my eating habits. In the past i've suffered from and am still receiving treatment for a medical problem. You could say this was the wake up call I needed to finally get a grip on my eating disorder. With me though I tend to find that the best way for me personally to regain control of my eating habits is just not to have junk food in my home-ever! I know this may come across as extreme but this works for me. If im hungry I eat an apple instead of a big bar of chocolate. I wish that I could have a healthy and 'normal' attitude towards food,but I dont and this is the only way I can handle it. I am lucky in a way because I live by myself now and I have no children so there aren't any temptations around. I would be interested to hear of any others that have found that its either all or nothing that works for them? I wish I could find a happy medium but i've realised that may never happen and I will have to fight this for a long time to come..

Mami
~Mamita~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #2  

Cool

Mami - I do the same thing. I live alone and there's no reason to keep junk food around -- because who's going to eat it but me?! I also try to keep butter and mayonnaise out of the house too, allowing me to have them only when I go out to eat in moderation. I keep apples too and strawberries, when they are in season. If you have a microwave, you can get 100 calorie bags of popcorn. Even if you eat too, it's only 200 calories. You've done the smart thing by removing temptations.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Same for me. I can't have it in the house. I finally admitted I have no self-control, and that's just fact. So I need to act accordingly.

NO TRIGGER FOODS IN THE HOUSE. And that covers a lot of ground...

Quote:
If you have a microwave, you can get 100 calorie bags of popcorn.
I have these at work as my afternoon snack. Really staves off the desire for giant bags of fritos and other crap...
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Mami, welcome... ... we're glad to have you here.

You have to do whatever works for you. There's some stuff I can't keep in the house. Homemade bread. Baked goodies.
It's strange, because one of my big addictions is chips, but I can keep a bag in the pantry as long as it's not open.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #5  
Hot by association

S/C/G: ?/110/?

Good job! I don't think it's "extreme" to not want unhealthy and fattening foods in your home. It's a smart move to get rid of all that processed crap.
BelleDeJour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:55 AM   #6  

Thanks for the warm welcome I thought I may get 'told off' for having to deal with this in the extremes but im glad to see that wasn't the case lol. With me I binge on ALL junk food so I cant even keep a little treat in the house but as long as it helps control my addiction and I continue to follow a healthy diet I cant see it having any negative affects.

Mami
Old 05-12-2006, 02:23 AM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

If I lived alone, I would do the same thing. I am very used to the way I eat now and having junk in the house, isn't a problem for me. At first, I'll admit, it was much harder. I have never binged on any of the junk that is my husbands but I did a major binge once while eating at a buffet. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:54 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Mamita-
For what it's worth, I don't think it's an extreme. I know plenty of people that simply don't have that stuff in their house. Period. If I allowed that, I certainly wouldn't be where I am today. The fact is, I can't be trusted alone with junk in my house. If I really want something, I have to actually go and get it. And half the time that's enough of a deterrent. At some point you have to deal with different situations, but the least you can do is not live in a place where you're constantly telling yourself "no". That's what you can do for you.

Last edited by junebug41; 05-12-2006 at 07:15 AM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:11 AM   #9  
Play that funky music!

S/C/G: 290ish/266/250

Height: 5'4"

Hi Mamita, and welcome!

Nope, here you will find folks with the same issues you have, I'm sure... It's amazing how much our stories seem to have in common around here!

I can't keep any junk in the house. When I want something I have to go out for it and eat it in public. When I grocery shop I always come home with a variety of fruits and snackable veggies. I pre-cut the veggies for a couple of days worth and leave both the fruits and the veggies at eye-level in the fridge so it's the first thing I see when I open the door.

By the way, I'm 35 and have no kids either... It does really help to not have a supply of "kid food" to avoid. My elementary age nephew lived with us for a while a couple of years ago and I was always swiping his snacks!

Good luck, and post lots!!

-Lala
dalai_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #10  

I suppose in a way people who dont have an addiction to food cant understand why some of us have to go to extremes lengths. I would love to be able to have a 'normal' attitude towards food and be able to treat myself every now and then,but I just cant. June, I agree with what you said about not being trusted alone around junk food, I cant be trusted either. Im in the process of waiting to get counselling so im hopeful that this will allow me to figure out why I have a unhealthy relationship with food. I wish you all the best
Old 05-13-2006, 01:27 AM   #11  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

I needed milk yesterday but I was feeling the need for ice cream,,,at teh grocery I would of had to walk past the freezer,,,we didn't have milk for cereal this morning. I know I have limitations,,,and yesterday I knew were I was...Id raither know then be blind swiped and find myself in the after math of self anger.

Ellis,,,believe me,,,baked goods,,,are not goods,,,they are bads. Did I mention ever that my husband sells pastries? Twinkies and that junk? He has been banned from bringing that stuff into the house. We are renovating the basement,,,came across a box of my old clothes before we moved here and he started at this new job. Ya my jeans were a size 12-14 Gap...*sniff
I walk by Gap now and don't bother going in,,,they don't make them in 20s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mamita~
I suppose in a way people who dont have an addiction to food cant understand why some of us have to go to extremes lengths. I would love to be able to have a 'normal' attitude towards food and be able to treat myself every now and then,but I just cant. June, I agree with what you said about not being trusted alone around junk food, I cant be trusted either. Im in the process of waiting to get counselling so im hopeful that this will allow me to figure out why I have a unhealthy relationship with food. I wish you all the best
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:23 AM   #12  

Height: 5'-2"

Angelia, I hear ya, hon. I still have my "fat jeans" from high school. They were huge on me. Size 30 waist. sigh.
I actually squeezed into a pair of size 18 jeans the other day, but they were cutting off my airflow, so I guess I've got a few more pounds to go...

Mamita, I do hope you find a good councellor. If you have a choice, don't settle for just anyone!

My Dad had a "normal" relationship with food. I wished I'd paid closer attention to his habits. He just ate to live, and was very active. He'd buy a bar of chocolate, eat half of it, and the rest would sit in the fridge for over a week! About once a year he'd gain five pounds or so, would get concerned, and would take it off.
Are we missing a chromosome or something that we can't do that?

June... you look AWESOME, girl!! It's really all about hard work, isn't it?
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote