Old 05-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/284/140

Smile New Here - 150 lbs to lose!

Hi everyone! I have been browsing this site all morning and I finally decided to join up and start posting here! I wont bore you with the details of my long journey to get to where I am right now, but let's just say there have been some ups and downs, but I have never been able to lose more than 20 or 30 pounds before I go back to where I was before....or higher. I was (as of last week) at my highest weight EVER....290. I got in gear and started trying to change my eating/exercise habits yet again...and yesterday was my first weigh-in, and I lost 6 pounds (YAY!!!). I was very proud of myself, excited, and ready to keep going! I have a few friends who are trying to lose weight, but most of them don't have as much weight to lose, so its difficult to get the support I feel like I need. When you have over 100 pounds to lose, it can be overwhelming at times, it seems like you will never reach your goal....I'm sure you all know what I mean. I just have to keep on telling myself that if I continue to work hard....I WILL reach my goal, probably in less than 2-3 years!

Anyway, I'm here to support and encourage you guys, as well as hopefully get some support and encouragement for myself as well, when I'm not having a good day and all I want to do is eat a twinkie (is that a bad word here? LOL). I'm dabbling in the WW program, although I am not officially a WW member (can't afford it, or I would be for sure). But I'm trying to focus more on changing my whole lifestyle, rather than worrying so much about counting calories or fat grams. Common sense tells me that certain things are bad for me, and others are good for me. So I'm trying to rely more so on that, than the counting....but I did want to give the WW formula a try because many people have success on that (and keep the weight off lol).

As for my goals, I have set my goals at every decade basically. For example, my starting weight was 290, so my first goal would be 289....but that's only one pound, so my first goal is 279....next will be 269, then 259...you get the picture. 10 pounds at a time, the good feeling of moving into a new "decade" with each mini goal reached! I also have a long term goal of 249, which is what I got down to on my most recent "dieting" attempt which was in 2004. I can't remember going below that since about 2001...and even then I think I made it down to 225 or so at my lowest. So anyway, I then have my goal weight....which is right now 140. I don't know WHAT I will look like at 140...no clue. But I do know I don't want to be skin and bones...I want to wear about a size 10/12 clothes. I am 5'3 by the way. So I think 140 is ideal. But once I get close to that, I reserve the right to change my mind!

As far as exercise, well...if you have ever been 290 or close to it....you know that exercise isn't something that is particularly effortless lol. But I have been walking 1/2 mile (15 mins) about 3-4 times per week to start. Last week I experienced shin splints and thought I was going to pass out from the pain....so I backed off for a few days. As of now, the walking (treadmill or neighborhood) is the only exercise I get aside from daily stuff like housework, taking care of the kids, meals, etc. I think it's a good start anyway, although I would very much like to add some aerobics type stuff, and maybe some strength training as well. I'm not setting FOOT in a gym...noooo way! Unless of course one of you lives near Raleigh, North Carolina and wants to go with me! (misery loves company haha)

Thanks for reading if you got this far! I look forward to getting to know you, joining challenges, and sharing in everyone's success!
missjen113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/284/140

Oh and by the way....I do have before pics if anyone would like to see...I just don't know how to post them here. Let me know and I'll do it!
missjen113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #3  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile

I'm so glad you found us, Jen! And even gladder that you signed up and introduced yourself! In my experience, this forum represents one of those instances in which the more you put in, the more you get out! This group is just so enormously supportive and motivating....not to mention downright NICE!

Congrat's on your great start! You'll find (or might have already found) that there are a number of threads and contests in which you can participate. Check them all out and see if you think that any of them could help you out, and then jump right in! We're all here for you if you need anything or have any questions.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #4  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Jen - Welcome to 3FC! I know what you mean about your goal feeling overwhelming. I am also breaking my goals up into mini-goals. It helps make it feel more achievable.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:55 PM   #5  

I've been here for a few weeks now, and the atmosphere is excellent. Everyone is really supportive and prepared to give you a or to be your . This is a great group. Feel free to jump right in.
MsHelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #6  
DNR
Determined Woman

Welcome Welcome

I can totally relate to where you are right now. I too have had weight issues my whole life and I have joined WW many times in the past and have had success on it for a little while (usually around 35 lbs) and then I give up and gain it all back. I know I have joined and rejoined at least 10 times. I again joined WW (at At Work program) the week of Thanksgiving and this time I am making it happen. I am 4 lbs away from losing 50 this time and I've never done that before. I have my days that I'm not as motivated as others, but for the most part I think positive all the time and have no doubt whatsoever that I won't make it to goal this time. I am learning to make this a lifestyle and when I stop to think about it, it's not a bad lifestyle to have in order to stay healthy and thin. I work in a hospital where I see people on a daily basis that have issues beyond their control and I am thankful every day that I'm not at that stage yet. I can control this and I will lose the rest of this baggage. I talk to myself a lot and I know that I'm worth the work it is taking to do this.

I walk for exercise on my lunch hours - I use 40 min. to walk and the other 20 to eat my lunch. I may start some other exercise soon, now that I've lost weight and feel better. Walking is a good place to start. Doing it on my lunch hour also gets it done so that I don't have to worry about doing it in the evenings when I'm too tired.

Doing this 10 lbs at a time is a wonderful idea. I don't spend a lot of time looking at how much I have left to lose. I look at how much I've lost so far and that helps. I don't spend a lot of time whining about things either - whining isn't going to get the weight off of me. I am at a point now where it's not coming off as quickly as before and any loss is fine with me. I compare food items to the pounds I've lost, such as losing 1 lb. is losing 4 sticks of butter or a pound of hamburger. It helps me visualize when 1 lb. doesn't seem like a lot. Right now I've lost 184 sticks of butter and that sounds so great!!!

If you'd like to partner up, send me a Private Message - you can do that by clicking on the Private Message area at the top. You can still post here too which is a good idea.

DNR
DNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:56 PM   #7  
Winning by Losing

S/C/G: 263/208/150

Height: 5'8"

Altho my join date says I've been here for a little while, I'm actually quite new to posting and all. This is a great group full of very supportive and caring people. I'm sure you'll love it here!
karistiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #8  
Aleecia

Jen.
You'll love it here. Please know that there a lot of great people here and you are definitly not in this alone.
Good job taking it 10lbs at a time. You're right when you say the final goal can be overwhelming. I know it took me a while to realize that I should just take it one pound at a time instead of focusing on the final goal.
May I suggest the Walk Away The Pounds for exercise. I love them and it is a good way to get up and get started. There are so many varieties and you can truly work up to your own pace. Do as little or as much as you can.

I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey.
If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask for help.

Leec
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #9  
Losin' it forever!

Welcome, Jen! I think you will find this site to be wonderful and encouraging! Even when I'm not in a posting mood, I can always gather insite and wisdom from this fine bunch of people!

I'm with you on having alot of weight to lose. My current goal is to get my butt into a size 12-14 and then see how I feel about going lower, but it's going to take a lot to even get down to that size!

Welcome again, post, ask, chat. We're happy to have you!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #10  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

Hi Jen ~~ I have only been here for about a month now, but I have truly met some very nice people! Everyone here is always so willing and supportive to answer any questions or concerns. I think losing your weight in mini goals of 10 pounds at a time is the best. That's the way I'm looking at my weight loss, because then it doesn't seem so overwhelming to look at the whole large picture! I wish you much success in your weight loss journey!
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #11  
Taking care of me.

Welcome aboard Jen. I only post in spurts but I stop by for a pick me up almost daily. This site is absolutely wonderful for encouragement and information.

When I started walking on the treadmill, I was getting shin splints every time. When I got a trainer and mentioned it to her, she suggested I get some good walking shoes. I went to a runners store where they have you walk around so they can look at your stride and all that stuff. I got a great (but ugly) pair of shoes and haven't had shin splints since. Maybe different shoes might help you with the pain.

Happy walking.
MoveMoveMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Welcome! I find checking in regularly keeps my eye on the prize! Good luck to you!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:43 PM   #13  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Welcome Jen ~ everyone here is wonderful. Look forward to getting to know you.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

What a healthy attitude you have toward weight loss! It is a great tool to have as you tackle the challenge. I'd give you some advice, but you sure seem to have it figured out pretty darn well. Congratulations on your great start!!!

I remember how hard it was to exercise when I started. I couldn't walk on my treadmill for 4 minutes straight without having to take a break!! And ironically enough, I just started to jog on it!!!

When you hit a rough patch, feel free to give me a PM. I've been through many, so I can give you some advice if you happen to find yourself struggling.

All the luck in the world to you!!
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:56 AM   #15  
One pound at a time...

Jen to the forum! It is a great place here for support and advice. Focusing on 10 pound increments is great, it is what I do as well.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote