South Beach Diet - Thursday Twitterings!

View Full Version : Thursday Twitterings!

beachgal
05-11-2006, 02:40 AM
So as to avoid a debacle like yesterday (lots of sleepy chicks trying to wake up and start the daily before noon... :coffee: :tired: :coffee:), I'm starting this before I go to bed! :lol:

Hope everyone has a great Thursday! I'm having coffee with a dear friend, then doing a little shopping at Michael's (scrapbooking supplies) and Old Navy with coupons...and then off to couples therapy. Might grab lunch after therapy with DH, and then head home to frost my cake for class and write up some letters to send to local parishes. We're trying to start up a "Theology on Tap" group at church--it's a program for people in their 20s and 30s that meets at local bars to discuss church and life issues pertinent to young adults and young families. Our priest (who's very Irish) got permission to host at our local Irish pub. :) That would be so much fun!

Then I have cake decorating class...our last one. I haven't figured out to whom I'm giving this cake yet...yikes! I hope to run by the local farm supply to get squirrel repellent and seed starting trays on my way to class. If I have enough time, I'll also run by Sam's Club and get some of the staples we're running out of.

Busy day!

Hope everyone has fun and stays bright and OP! :sunny:

cottagebythesea
05-11-2006, 06:40 AM
Just a quick Good Morning today. Another busy day is on tap. I made a 13 Bean Chili last night to put in the crockpot today, so supper will be ready when I get home tonight. We're finally going to get some much needed rain for the next few days, so I have to plan some indoor projects for the little ones. I do hope they're in a much better mood today. My stiff neck is still tender, but it feels much better than yesterday. Well, gotta run if I want to fit my Curves workout in.

Kelly J. ~ The PDA I have is a Sony Clie. I slowly learning how to work it!

JanaM
05-11-2006, 06:54 AM
Mornin' everyone. Haven't been able to get in here early for the past couple of days, and then time just seems to get away from me. Another busy day at work today. Trying to get everything wrapped up so that I can be gone tomorrow - have a funeral out of town for my aunt.

Okay, who watched American Idol last night? I'm still trying to pick up my jaw off the floor!

Beach - Definitely the way to get a thread started early is by posting the night before! :lol: I think your cake decorating class sounds like a lot of fun. I'd have to take it to work with me - no way I could have that cake sitting around the house.

Cottage - Have a great workout!

All you chickies have a great day! :wave:

Stephanie Osborne
05-11-2006, 07:32 AM
beachgal - wow sounds like you are a busy gal today. Make sure to take some time to rest...you are always going going going.

Well chickies sorry to be sporadic with my posting but my hours got changed for my at home job. I volunteered to be the 2 am to 10 am girl for more money and more work. Makes posting on here easier lol, especially when the thread is started the night before ;) Eating went great for me yesterday. I got a run at the park in and then did 60 mins of yoga/pilates. I am feeling great about meeting my exercise goal. My water goal however is a diff story. I need to work on that. I can feel the water pudge starting to pile back on...Not much going on today, working till 10, get some sleep in then gotta do some cardio. I am super sore from my workouts yesterday. So much so in fact that todays strength training has been stricken from my list.

Whats new with you all? I feel like I have been away so long!

cottage - have fun at curves, wanna put in some workout time for me?

janam - Sorry to hear about your aunt, that is always hard. Wasn't Idol shocking last night?

Kelly J
05-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Morning Chicks! Not much going on around here. Rainy day today.

Beachgal - we're just so lost without Ruth so thanks for starting us so early (late :D) Enjoy your busy day.
Cottage - hope you enjoy your clie. I've a tungsten E and LOVE IT! Hope your neck feels better soon.
Jana - sorry to hear about your aunt.
Stephie - good to hear from you!

smokepole
05-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Good morning everyone.
Beach: LOL Hope you didn't stay up just to start our thread!! You sure do keep yourself busy. If you don't mind me asking, where are you in upstate NY? Interesting place for a couple's therapy group. Those irish beers should make it easier for everyone to share!!

Jana: IDOL!!! Goodness I think there was a loud "clunk" as everyone's jaw hit the floor. I was for sure thinking Katherine would be gone. So sad for Chris, however, he has accomplished enough. He will have a career. Remember the marine from a couple of years ago? He left early on and he's had 2 hits on the country charts.

Kelly, hasn't started raining here near Syracuse. I'm hoping it holds off until later in the day. Want to work outside a bit.

ME: I have lost 3 lbs and seem stuck there. I added 1 c of canteloupe last night and I seem to be okay this AM. Just discouraging. I don't know if that alcoholic drink last weekend did it or not. I am finding it much easier to stick to plan howerve. Anyone out there lose more in Phase 2 than 1??? HELP! I need some encouragement.

pearshape
05-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Hey chicks, I haven't been on here as much. Been in a funk and eating and weight has been bad. I'm leaving today to CA for the rest of the month. I've decided to not let being out of town be an excuse for bad eating. I'm going to do a careful P2. Hopefully when I get back I can get back on track. I'll also keep up with my posting in here while I'm out there since it helps keep me accountable. Have a great day chicks!!

kyemom
05-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Morning chicks!! I am checking in even though I am not feeling very SBD happy right now. I think that the scale is not my friend, and maybe I need to find a new way to lose weight. I am just very discouraged.

Schatzi
05-11-2006, 09:28 AM
AHOY THAR MATEYS!!!! Captain Schatizi here with her cup a "caffiend" :hyper: :coffee: droppin anchor on da beach! :beach: I think this is like the 10th day of RAIN!
Pearsydew: Have a wonderful time in CA! And you come back here darlin! We miss yer daily posts and updates on the Ratties :mouse:

Smokepole: hmmm... weight loss slows fer me in a full blown phase 2...so, I eat one phase 2 item a day...I count calories too... and unfortunately it seems that I haveta stick to less than 1300 to budge that scale...

Kelly: I sure miss mother Ruthie tooo... I'm usually up real early, but this past week... I've been sleeping till bout 8 which is LATE fer me :lol: havin a bit of insomnia and end up tossin and turnin till 3. :tired:

Stephie: Welcome back hon!!! Yer doin great with all that exercising!!

Jana: sorry to hear about yer aunt.... I missed AI last night, I was soooo sure it was gonna be (xxxx)! : WHAT A SHOCK!!! I'm a reality show junkie... hate to admit it but I am... I love Top Chef :chef: . the reunion fer that was one last night! Had to be one of the reunions ever!

Cottage: I don't know what I would do without my PDA! Mine is a Compaq Pocket PC... DH has the newest thingie that is a phone, has internet on it and , is a PDA :dizzy: I'm going a bit squirrly being in doors sooo much, but takin advantage of it... Today is a complete reorg and cleaning of the kitchen.. :wizard:

BG: yer like the night mod! swoopin in at 2 in the morn :lol:... I sure sharpened my "merge" thread skills!!! How you can avoid eatin those purty decorated cakes is beyond me!

Barb/Kiko: I hope you gals are both safe from those tornados!

BB: How FABU on a Hawaian Cruise!!! You and Leo deserve it!!!! I would love to do an Alaskan and a Meditterean cruise... I hear ya on Portion Distortion! I gotta keep my scale handy cause I still cant seem to grasp this "1 serving" concept! :lol3: to me 1 bowl full or 1 steak is a serving!

Lottie: What a great idea about sprinklin some crystal lite in plain yogart...gotta try that one :write:!

Alrighty time to git out my Swiffer! Smite some Dust Bunnies and refill my cawffeeeeeee!

Schatzi
05-11-2006, 09:34 AM
Kyemom: :hug: hear ya about doing the scale cha cha... grrrrrr. Some thoughts... are you still getting at least 4 cups of veggies in? Are you sufferin from portion distortion (calories count regardless of the plan you follow..) ..Maybe track /log all your food intake to see if you can spot what's causing your stall? You might also be at a plateau --- seems like there are set points where yer body settles, and it needs a nudge or a few weeks to begin dropping again...

smokepole
05-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Hey...I just though of something reading Schatzi's response to Kyemom. Do you HAVE to eat everything??? I don't. I know I'm not getting all those veggies in. I work very hard at the water. I don't know what "water pouch" is. I'm not hungry. I seldom crave.

Schatzi....I hear you!! I'm just adding 1 c of canteloupe for the rest of the week. Recently I kept track of my calories. I maintained at 1300-1400. That's why I thought SB might work. Give up the carbs. Dr. recommended.

This weight loss journey can be a trial.

lottie63
05-11-2006, 10:32 AM
kyemom: You've probably hit a plateau and you'll find that no matter what plan your doing. Stick it out and good luck to you!

ME: Well, today, bf is FINALLY off! It's been weeks since we went out (which is good for my diet, but not so good for me being so lonely!) He's been working 6-7 days a week :( 3-11 so I never see him. Today we're going to Fridays and I"m getting sirloin steak and mixed veggies. I don't eat red meat very often at all but I eat SO MUCH CHICKEN in the house that when I go out I figure I should have something different so I don't get bored!

Alicia

TropicalKitty
05-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Ok yeah. I can't believe Idol. I demand a recount! My coworker called me about it cuz he was in such shock too. Really what is this world coming to when the cute talent gets booted. Crazy Americans! hehehe

I made the crock pot pulled bbq pork yesterday. Pretty good! Today I'm going to make the simply roasted pork and some chicken fingers. I also have to get my booty moving and do laundry. My closet floor is a pile of clothing. Oops. And I hope to get some exercise in: I'm a major slacker. Last night I finally got to go to my fav local hang out. I've realized that I really have a horrid schedule; the bartender says to me "Haven't seen you in awhile." That's pretty sad. Altho I guess it'd be worse if she didn't recognize me. I can't wait for my schedule to actually be condusive to me having some semblance of a life.

Kyemom - are you maybe having some hidden sugar issues? like from dressings on a salad. what about salt or something to make you retain water? have you been eating consistantly, like eating the 3 meals and snacks? It can be very discouraging when you don't see the scale move the way you want. But how do you feel? Clothes feel different? I hope you don't let this stop you. Schatzi has some great points too. *hugs*

Schatzi - Been meaning to ask you this, what's the monster in you avatar? He/She is so cute. hehehe

All: Have a great Thursday!

kyemom
05-11-2006, 10:39 AM
I eat a ton of veggies..I think a lot of my problem is drinking water. I do really good with it for a few days, but I just hate the "taste" of it. I have tried it cold, room temp, warm, with lemon...te only way I like it is with Crystal light, but since ya'll said that that does not count...I can't count it. I eat totally op, on not too much...most time probably not enough! I would not think that I would stall in Phase 1...I did so great before when I was on it...I just don't know!!

lottie63
05-11-2006, 10:47 AM
KYEMOM: "I eat totally op, on not too much...most time probably not enough!"

Maybe this is your problem.....do you use fitday? are you eating at least 12-1300 cals a day? If not your body may be holding on to calories because it's not getting enough...??? Just an option. My bf has been eating only one meal a day for awhile now, he hadn't lost a POUND the entire time (months!) and then he had af uneral and he ate the whole time he was down home, came home and lost 5 lbs.

Also, not drinking enough water makes you retain, as I'm sure you know so that could be it as well.

TropicalKitty
05-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Kyemommcita: You may just be at one of those plateaus that Schatzi mentioned. We all have natural set points that can be a pain to get through. It takes a lil extra to push past, but it is possible to do. I remember when my mom and I were doing Atkins she hit one hard. She cut her carbs back down and worked out like mad. But, after about a month, her loss started again. The water thing is hard, I know, I think I've met the water goal maybe 3times so far. The water up here isn't very tasty, even when filtered. I hope you can keep yourself going. We're all here for you!

:dust:

soon2Bfab
05-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Hello all....I've been MIA for awhile...sorry but the training & driving are killing me! THIS IS MY LAST WEEK THOUGH!!!
I'm off today & the weather is nasty, but I plan on runnning some errands, Curves & shopping (gotta get some clothes for Key West!)
I'll see you gals later - I promise!

lottie63
05-11-2006, 11:17 AM
:stress: OH NO! It's raining like mad! On my bf's ONE measly day off! I am ANGRY. Argh. I don't know, maybe it will clear up by this evening...I certainly hope so or else we'll be getting wet, cuz we are DEFINATELY going out!

Kiko
05-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Morning gals!!

I was shocked by American Idol as well! But, I never vote, and only watch.... so I shouldn't complain.

Schatzi Barb and I live south of where the tornadoes hit so we are fine. (maybe I should only speak for me- Barb?)

Kyemom- Stick with it girl! You can do this. :)

4 pounds down for me!! This is my lowest weight since the baby was born. :carrot: 15 more pounds to go! I have lost 39 pounds since I delivered almost a year ago. :)

Have a great day- I need to fill my water bottle and get some work done!

SunLit
05-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Morning ladies ... I can only describe my mood as "cranky" today. My stomach is hurting (not crampiness, actual pains). I used to get such aches all the time when I ate crappy, fatty food, but they had mainly gone away since starting SBD. Today, though, ow.

I'm starting to wonder whether my diet isn't harming my health a bit, not eating many grains, etc. I've upped my calories a bit lately, inching closer to 1,200. Not because I'm hungry, but because I'd like to test the limits a bit more, see if I continue to see two pounds a week gone. Or more!

Hope everyone else is doing well! I'm off to the gym, or I'd settle down for some individual hello's!

Barb0522
05-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Schatzi - I live further south than where Kiko is so we are both fine. It did look nasty that night. Brian was outside playing with his Dad and they both talked about how bad the sky looked.

Kiko - You are doing so well with your weight loss! I will be glad when school is over for Brian this year. I didn't remember that his REACH party was today until this morning so I was frantically making cookies since I just don't have any snacks in the house that he could bring easily. And he needed to bring a drink. We don't keep juice boxes in the house so he had a choice between various flavors of Diet Dr. Pepper or Diet Coke! Good thing he likes those or we'd have been making a quick trip to the store. He normally drinks milk or water but you don't bring those to a school party. He also needed a plain white tshirt for something they are doing tomorrow so I had to pick that up at Michael's last night.

We had our first training session for Walking Den Leaders for summer camp last night and I got the forms turned in for 31 boys, 11 Walking Den Leaders (adult chaperones) and one more staff member. Our pack is providing 5 staff for camp. I can't wait to find out how many boys I will end up teaching. I want to make sure I have plenty of supplies. Tonight is our district Roundtable which is always fun. And then I have nothing for tomorrow night so I have time to work out - well, I do have to stop by the store and get Brians' neckerchief and slide for his crossover to Webelos later this month but that's not a big errand.

lottie63
05-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Morning ladies ... I can only describe my mood as "cranky" today. My stomach is hurting (not crampiness, actual pains). I used to get such aches all the time when I ate crappy, fatty food, but they had mainly gone away since starting SBD. Today, though, ow.

I'm starting to wonder whether my diet isn't harming my health a bit, not eating many grains, etc. I've upped my calories a bit lately, inching closer to 1,200. Not because I'm hungry, but because I'd like to test the limits a bit more, see if I continue to see two pounds a week gone. Or more!

Hope everyone else is doing well! I'm off to the gym, or I'd settle down for some individual hello's!

Is there a reason you were eating less than 1200???? Did your doctor tell you to do that? My nutritionist said anything less than 1200 is starvation. Be careful! I eat between 12-1300 cals a day.

beach bum
05-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Hi Ladies:)
Sorry for posting so late in the afternoons,but very soon I'll be back on the thread as a regular. DH's tumors is getting smaller now and the chemo treatment were stopped last week with just 3 more ratiation treatments left. After that it wil be only blood work and follow-ups to the doctors.

Now I can work on my problem weight control. I have been using a smaller plate for the good old PORTION CONTROL. Hope it shows some results.I'm also staying clear of the scale until the end of the month. Looking & going on it has brought too much stress into my life.

Hugs :) BB

SunLit
05-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Is there a reason you were eating less than 1200???? Did your doctor tell you to do that? My nutritionist said anything less than 1200 is starvation. Be careful! I eat between 12-1300 cals a day.

I don't aim to eat less than 1200, it's just difficult to hit it. I get close, though. Generally, it's because I think all day long I've eaten plenty, but I get to dinner and am somehow 200-300 calories off the mark. Then I'm reluctant to scarf down a big dessert to fill in that blank.

I vary, though, so my body is tricked into thinking it's not starving (I think, anyway).

lottie63
05-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Do you use fitday? To get the added calories I usually add heathy fats throughout the daylike nuts and olive oil and yogurt for extra cals. (nf plain w/ a dash of crystal lite) you don't need to eat junk to fill in your cal requirements.

SunLit
05-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Do you use fitday? To get the added calories I usually add heathy fats throughout the daylike nuts and olive oil and yogurt for extra cals. (nf plain w/ a dash of crystal lite) you don't need to eat junk to fill in your cal requirements.

Thanks, I'm looking to add in some more fats like nuts. I do eat yogurt everyday, too. I've added powdered Jell-O, but never Crystal Light. I'll give it a try! Usually, I add fruit, since I'm technically in Phase 2. (Apples cooked up with Splenda and cinnamon make an amazing yogurt!)

I use FitDay ... FitFully. :)

crk05
05-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Hi everyone from a semi-MIA, not-so-good-about-posting-regularly member! I hope all of you are doing well. I had a spare moment to pop my head in, so I thought I'd stop by. :wave: Not much is new with me, just writing my dissertation :comp: and planning for my August graduation. I can't wait! I'm pretty sure I can be at my goal by then, so that will be another accomplishment to celebrate.

Anyway, back to work. Have a nice evening!

MsCrockett
05-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Hey Girls..

Better later than never posting .... I have been a little pre occupied today, Rain ALL DAY! Took a Friend to the Dentist today, so that took up 3 good hours. Then I have been trying to study on Math as my test is tomorrow.. I say screw it. and I will retake it this summer,, I took nothing from the class. A different teacher is teaching it this summer so I will try that Teach,, then I will take Math 99 the second part of summer and be ready for Math 101 Fall... I am still OP... I reviewed the SBD Book today,, just touched base on some parts "Refreshing" My nephew is a lot better, just mainly sick one day and a night,,, We have watched the HULK move about 3 times today.. and he is pumped up and ready to wrestle.. ( he is 4 yrs old, for all who are reading this, that did not on previous posts) he is a hoot.. I do get my excercise when I am with him..... Take Care All....

lottie63
05-11-2006, 10:43 PM
I love the roasted cauliflower and homefried radishes so much that today I bought two heads of cauliflower and SIX buschels of radishes! My bf was embarassed to check out with me! *L* That's okay cuz I was embarassed that he ordered the triple meat platter with fries and pulled pork loaded potato skins and a slushy at fridays! *L*

He was off today and even though it rained we still went out and made the best of it. Went to dinner (I had 8 oz sirloin and veggie medly, salad w/ vinigar) and then went grocery shopping. It was nice. :) and productive. :) Nice to have someone else carry the groceries home! (we take the bus)

smokepole
05-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Sounds like fun Lottie. I made those radishes. Even my finicky daughter thought the were good.! PAM next time though. THose recipes call for too much oil.