Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default Suggestions for leg workout

I am looking for some suggestions for an at home leg workout. I have a gym membership and I am there about 4 times a week and I know this will sound silly but I don't really like doing strength training in the gym by myself. My best friend usually goes with me so when she is busy I will do my own workout at home. I have dumbbells at home as well as an exercise ball. I rarely do my leg workout at home but when I do I'm usually just doing squats and lunges. Does anyone have any other suggestions for different leg exercises I can do at home? Or should I incorporate some different types of squats and lunges into my workout?
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #2  

Definitely mix up the squats and lunges. You can do either holding dumbbells also.

Quads: step ups- using a stair, step up with your right leg, step up with your left, step down with your left, then your right; repeat; then lead with the other leg. Hold dumbbells to increase the intensity.

Side step-ups- stand at a stair sideways. Step up sideways with the leg closest to the stair. Lift up the outside leg, but don't rest it on the step. Place outer leg on the floor and step down with the inside leg. Repeat; turn and lead with the other leg. To increase intensity, hold dumbbells; kick in front with the outside leg; raise the outside knee high

Wall sit- with your back against a wall, sit with your thighs parallel to the floor; hold for 45 seconds

Ball squat- do a squat with the ball between your back and a wall. Squat and hold. Squat up and down quickly 10-15 times.

Hamstrings- leg curl squeeze with a ball- Lie face down with knees spread apart to shoulder width. Rest forehead on hands to keep neck neutral. Hold the ball between calves and buttocks. Squeeze the ball by bringing your heels towards your butt. Hold, relax calves.

Hamstring squeeze with a ball- Lie face up with calves on ball, and ball touching the back of your legs and butt, but not on the floor. Arms out or down sides for support. Trap the ball by squeezing it between your heels and buttocks. Hold the squeeze then release tension

1 leg bench hamstring curl- Lie on your back, arms outstretched for support. Place one foot on a bench or chair, knee bent. Place the other foot on the bent knee, or hold in the air. Raise hips and lower back to form a bridge. Hold. Lower slowly. Change legs

Hope this helps...
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:57 PM   #3  

You might try getting a video, there are a lot of really good ones out there for the lower body. I like them because you can see and hear what you are supposed to be doing and it is less lonely somehow to have the tape. Plus I work harder with a tape and do more reps.

Cathe Friedrich and Kathy Smith both have some really good ones, check out collage video regardless because you can get some ideas from watching the video clips.

For something nontraditional you can try the Bar Method, Pilaties, or yoga. They can all help leg strength.

http://www.collagevideo.com
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #4  

Height: 5'3"

Thank you very much for the suggestions! That helps me a great deal.
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote