PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #1  

Default New "chick" here with PCOS -- help!!

I'm glad I discovered this forum. I have a LOT of weight to lose, and I found out last year that I have PCOS. I'm insulin-resistant, and the doc is still working on finding the right meds for me... but I'm so tired of being fat! I really want to make a change but I need some support to do it! I could really use the support of some ladies who understand what I'm going through and how hard it is. Thanks.
Junia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/110/110

Welcome. I can relate to what you are going through. It is hard losing weight but it is possible. We have to work extra hard but it is worth it to get healthy. Is your doctor thinking about putting you on glucophage for the insulin resistance?
alwaysbelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #3  

Yes, I'm on glucophage, and it has started making some improvements cycle-wise (sorry, I don't want to get TMI here), and I have lost some weight (probably also due to dietary changes). I'm thinking of asking the doc if I should take a higher dose, though... I know for some people it takes a little more.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #4  

That is good news that you are having progress in your cycle and with weightloss. It can be slow going because of the PCOS but stick to your diet and exercise and you should be seeing overall improvements in your health.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I am also insulin-resistant and have PCOS. I take 500 mg. of Glucophage twice a day. I have been able to take off weight and you will too. Good luck and well wishes.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:03 PM   #6  

Thanks for the support, gals! Plus it's so inspiring to see all that progress on your tickers! Ooh, I want mine to slide along like that! Eeek, if only I can keep at it -- the encouragement helps a lot!
Old 05-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #7  

Junia You are doing great, just keep focus and keep going!
Old 05-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #8  

Lilybelle: WOW. just WOW. Thank you so much for that inspiration... I hope someday that I'll have a success story like that. Do you feel like the glucophage helped you to lose the weight? I know it's not a "weight-loss drug" but I know that treating the insulin resistance can make it easier to lose weight through diet and exercise.

FYI, I'm doing the "Eat to Live" diet and so are a few other ladies on this board. The book "Eat to Live" was written in 2003 by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, and it's a nutritional plan that focuses on "nutrient density" -- eating foods with the best nutritional bang for your caloric buck. He favors minimizing animal products -- he presents both vegetarian and non-vegetarian meal plans, but recommends that either way, we base our diet around veggies, fruits, and legumes. For anyone who is interested in the Eat to Live diet, please join us on this thread here. If it winds up looking like something any of you would like to try, I'd love to have you join in -- the more the merrier!
Old 05-16-2006, 11:05 AM   #9  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Junia Don't discount what you have already accomplished. You have lost 5 bags of flour. You have lost 25 pounds of butter. I don't know how long it has taken you to get there but I have been on my journey for way longer than I would care to admit. I lost 20lbs and then stalled for over 6 months. I didn't start losing weight again until I was taking 1000mg of Glucophage XR for over a month. Now it is coming off pretty regularly except during my sugar binges.

Good Luck and keep going! Sounds like you found a good plan for you!
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #10  

Thanks for the encouragement, irisheyes. And congratulations on your continuing success!