Old 05-10-2006, 07:35 AM   #1  

Default What broke your plateau?

I have hit my first major plateau....
I thought it would be great to hear what everyone has done to break their plateau...

Increase in exercise?
Decrease in exercise?
Water intake?
How long did you plateau?

Just tell about your experiance with being in a plateau..
wchs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think it's really hard for us to know what causes a change in something like a plateau... how do we know it wouldn't have ended anyway!

So, I think the best thing you can do for yourself is have patience... ride it out and don't give up. Using the plateau as a way to shake things up and help you NOT be bored seems like a good idea... so increasing exercise and changing up the foods you eat may help you stay on track!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:27 AM   #3  
One pound at a time...

I find plateaus happen to me when I am not being as careful as I should. When I hit a plateau, I write down everything I eat (every lick, taste and bite). If that does not change, I will switch my foods around and bump up the water.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLabLover
I find plateaus happen to me when I am not being as careful as I should. When I hit a plateau, I write down everything I eat (every lick, taste and bite). If that does not change, I will switch my foods around and bump up the water.
I second this. When I'm "plateauing," or even worse, GAINING, it's because of complacency. I'm eating healthy, but I've stopped measuring my portions out. I begin to eyeball measurements, and they end up being generous. So, if I am not seeing a change in the scale, it's back to strictly measuring everything and having the correct portion size. I also start journaling every tidbit of food and drink (including that little bit of this and that I "forget" to add to my allotted calories when I'm not writing it down). When I officially come under my allowed caloric intake, the weight starts coming off again. In the rare case that does not work, I usually do a 30 minute session of jumping rope or something else besides my staple exercises of walking and aerobics. I just make sure it is pretty intense and it spurs my body back into losing weight.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #5  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

My first major goal was to lose 50 lbs, and I was so excited about how easily everything was going as I watched the first 10 lbs go away, then the second and third. Then, as I expected, my weight loss began to slow down somewhat while I went to 41, 42, 43, 45(woo hoo! skipped 44!), .46, ...47, ....48, .....49......... then stopped. Cold. For 2 weeks nothing. Then, finally, some movement! I gained 2 lbs! UGGG!. Then I lost the 2 lbs. Then I gained the 2 lbs. Then I lost the 2 lbs. Then I gained 3 lbs. Then I lost 3 lbs. This took another 4 weeks. (I have it all written in my wieght-by-date diary.)

During all of this time I ate as always (2000 cal a day), I exercised as always (30 min cardio, 45 min weights 5 days a week), I cried, I screamed, I pouted, and even made some rather nasty threats to my scale. Not of it seemed to help.

Finally, I decided that I was done with the scale. I also decided that I was getting a bit bored with my routine, so I started playing racquetball 2 times a week (I can hardly believe it!) and took away 1 day at the gym. I also started zig zagging my calories (1800 - 2200 range).

Last week I made it: 50 lbs!, and this morning 51!!! Did my changes in routine make the difference? I don't know, I very well might have broken through then anyway. However, I do know that I'm having more fun and I'm really enjoying the chance to eat some of my favorite dishes that just didn't fit into a 2000 cal day, but do (just barely ) in a 2200 one.

The most important thing I've done, though, is what I haven't done: give up. I've developed this little mantra "If I never lose another pound, I'm going to be the healthiest 300 lb woman there ever was!" (Though I do hope to change that to "200 lb woman" someday.)

Last edited by andoreth; 05-10-2006 at 09:28 AM.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #6  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I never had a plateau except for the last couple months which has been self inflicted. I can't say for sure but I have always been a faithful water drinker. I now drink at least 64 oz but when I was losing I would always drink 128oz a day. Like I said I can't say for sure but I never did hit a plateau.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:39 AM   #7  

I have been extra careful.. I have really watched my calorie intake ..
I must admit that I do not drink enough water.
I will work on that starting today!
wchs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #8  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I would give the water a try. It will be interesting to see if that breaks your plateau.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #9  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Andoreth...great post, I thoroughly enjoyed it

And if I haven't said so already....

This is the most supportive place on earth

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:10 PM   #10  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Just stick with it. Perseverence is the MOST important thing in losing weight. Eventually your body will let the weight shimmy off.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:25 AM   #11  

I feel like I'm plateauing here as well. I weigh myself pretty much daily, and I've been stuck at my current weight (down to the ounces) for a few days now. I'm drinking enough water to drown a small village, I exercise over an hour every single day, and while my diet is based on mindful eating and portion control (not calorie counting), DietPower still has me consistently eating under their budgeted number to lose more than 2 lbs a week. I just want to lose 1 more pound. It'll help me feel like I'm really accomplishing something to be back to 255. Well, I suppose I'll just keep going the way I'm going and try to keep off the scale for a few days.
MsHelena is offline   Reply With Quote