Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-10-2006, 02:34 AM   #1  
Dusty

S/C/G: 325/307/150

Question Illness and Dieting? Anyone else?

Hi guys, My name is Dusty and I just joined. Mainly I have a question. I am about 320 pounds which is my very worst weight ever. What I am wondering about is overall health when dieting. It seems, without fail, that I get really ill every time I begin a new diet. It is almost always on the thrid week too.

I am sitting here, with strept throat and ear infections and a tummy ache once again. Smack dab in the middle of week three. Is this common for you guys and gals? I'm 22 years old. I assume some of this illness could be the post traumatic stress from a heavy week of exams. However, this seems to be my diet thing. It has ruined many diets for me, but not this one gosh darnit.

I hope this is the right place to put this. I consider it support because I wonder if anyone else suffers through this. The fevers and the stomach aches, they are enough to make me wanna lay in bed and forget everything I ever knew about eating regular healthy meals.

For now, I go am just feverish and awful.

I appreciate any input and advice you guys have!

~Dusty
youwin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Hi, Dusty, welcome to the boards!!!!

I've never heard of your paticular problem before, and I believe the majority of us actually feel better when we begin to eat healthier. I know I was suffering from nasty colds and other ailments many times a year, and then they completely stopped after I started my diet. Eating healthier and exercising are supposed to have a postive effect on the immune system, so what you are experiencing is definitely abnormal. Maybe your illnesses coinciding with your diets are simply coincidences. Or maybe you have begun eating something you happen to be allergic to.

I have heard of wicked "carb withdrawl" though, experienced by the low carb dieters. And the elimination of caffeine from your diet can also produce uncomfortable physical symptoms.

I hope some other girls can give you better insight. You do have me baffled. I hope you feel better soon and much luck to you.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:37 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

By how much have you cut down by? Do you know how many calories you are eating now compared with what you were eating?

Have you drastically reduced the amount of food you eat? Perhaps that might be the key. Have you also started up significant exercise when you started your diet.

All I can really think is that it's your body's way of adjusting - and bodies don't like to adjust!

You may be lacking in some mineral or vitamin, however without talking to your doctor I wouldn't like to say anything for sure.

For now, I'd advise plenty of rest, plenty of fresh fruit and veggies and the occasional treat. Like Harpo says, you can have nasty withdrawal experiences - going cold turkey is probably worse, try to cut down gradually.

Failing that I'd go see your doctor and explain that it's something that happens every time you try to diet.

You'll get through it, most of all, don't give up!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I actually have this problem sometimes as well-BUT-it tends to hit me when I am either:

~I end up exercising too much. (like when I have 3-4 hours of dance rehearsals that week plus performances/workshops...along with my regular exercise)
~I drop my calories too low too soon.
~I may be eating in my calorie range, but may not be eating really "great".
~I am dealing with stress besides my weight.

My only advice is to adjust SLOWLY to what you are doing. Your body may not be able to handle an extreme-such as no exercise at all to suddenly going 1 1/2 hours a day...or gorging on 3000 calories a day, and then dropping suddenly to 1300. If this is what you usually do...then try taking it slower for a couple of weeks, and letting your body adjust to the new lifestyle. This will also prevent "burnout".
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm with Aphil. If your body is thrown for a loop by big changes all at once, your immune system can suffer. This'll make you more suseptible to viruses and things.
Take 2frus's advice and soldier thru with healthy foods, lots of fluids and gentle exercise. Don't stop, that's another big change and might cause the same thing all over again.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:48 AM   #6  

Short answer - YES! Long answer - Have been dieting since Aug 2005. This year in March/April I've had a stomach bug and 3 colds...more than I've ever had before! I've still go a runny nose from the last cold and it started about 6 weeks ago!

To be honest I'm wondering if I just need a holiday. Maybe we should both book one!
coley144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #7  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Absolute yes from me too. Every time I have started a diet I have gotten quite sick, including this time. In fact, I used to have this pet theory that I was storing flu bugs in my fat cells and when I lost some weight and let them out I got sick again. I know this is probably medically impossible (although I also wonder the same thing about hormones) but I get a kick out of thinking about it.

The difference this time was that I didn't let getting sick derail me. I slowed down, took care of myself, and as soon as I was well again I kept on going. I haven't been sick since.

Like others said, make sure you are getting enough calories, vitamins and nutrients. I make sure to take vitamins every day. I also am very careful not to push myself to exhaustion when exercising.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #8  
Play that funky music!

S/C/G: 290ish/266/250

Height: 5'4"

Okay, I thought it was just me! I always seem to catch a cold within the first month of starting a diet and it usually derails me. Just take care of yourself while you're sick, don't overdo it, but don't use it as an excuse to eat badly, either. The sickness will pass, of course, and you'll want to get back to your plan to rebuild your strength. Once I got past that first cold, though, I have found that I am now sick much less frequently - though I say this from the "vast" time frame of 5 months!

I'll agree with some folks above, it's probably your body rebelling against sudden changes. But guess what? You are the one in charge and the body will just have to go along with your wishes!

Good luck and feel better soon!

-Lala
dalai_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'7

I think for me it's a mental thing...hehe. Everytime anything starts going good for me something will start acting up for me! If my eczema isn't causing me so much trouble that I can't move my hands, my back hurts, when the back is getting better my neck gets stiff, once that clears up, the kidney's start acting up...goes on and on...lol.

I've been determined this time though! Just taking it slowly and lots of Goody powders...hehe.

Have you started limiting caffiene? Causes me horrible headaches!

Kim
OneKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have had this happen to me too when starting a new diet. It didn't happen this time and I am thankful. Actually, my new woe has helped me fight off those nasty bugs. Prior to changing my lifestyle, it seemed I was on antibiotics every 6 weeks or so. Now, haven't been on any antibiotics in almost a year. I have a weak immune system and this is major for me to go this long without getting sick. It is probably the drastic change in your woe, I would recommend a good multi-vitamin as this seems to be what most people use on here. Don't over-do it and get plenty of rest. Exercise can come later, when you are back up to par. Good luck and don't give up.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #11  
Dusty

S/C/G: 325/307/150

Wow this place is great! I have to hand it to you guys! You are so supportive, i feel like if I keep up here I really will make it this time.

The funny thing about me is I actually started eating more for this diet because it's a real balance diet, not leaving anything out. I know my sugars went way down, but I can't see my body protesting this so badly. it's true my worst sickness was with the Atkins diet, which hospitalized me for 2 days!!! This time, I am not letting it change my eating habits. As many of you pointed out, in the past, it was like an excuse to eat better. For me, I ran to white bread and peanut butter!! Not this time!

I went to the doctor, got some meds. Right now my biggest problem is that I'm just feeling lazy! I finally have a good thing going and I'm put on bedrest! At least I'm drinking tons of water!

Thanks guys, it's good to know I'm not alone in this, and also that it will pass. I never make it much father than this sickness. I usually just give up and declare that diet harmful and a bust. This time, I put too much money effort and hope on it. Hopefully, like many of you, I will become some sort of super-strong being immune to all viral infections after this. hehehe.

Thanks fr the support, I'm feeling better already just thinking about it. Tomorrow I might even drag myself into work! woowoo

~Dusty
youwin67 is offline   Reply With Quote