Old 05-10-2006, 12:39 AM   #1  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up Shake Your Groove Thing 5/8 - 5/14

Hello, sports fans!

Ok, so I looked a little ways back, and didn't see one of these, so I thought I'd start one up! Some of us struggle more with food, others with exercise. I fall into the latter group, so in the past I have found it helpful to log my exercise here for the accountability thang, for the motivational thang, and for the mutual support thang!

If any of you want to join in with your , , , , , , , , , , or even your ----- then sing it proud here!! Whatever you're doing, to whatever degree, and no matter how often -- everyone's welcome.

I'll start:

My plan this week is to bike for 300 minutes (5 hours.) (It's the only piece of exercise equipment I have in our temporary apartment; the rest is in storage until the house is done in 2-3 weeks.) So biking it is. I've actually committed to working out 10 times, with a minimum of 300 minutes, my logic being that I can totally do the 300 minutes, but trying to get in 10 sessions will probably result in more than 300 minutes.....but if I find myself tiring towards the end of the week, I can split up the sessions if I want. Kinda goofy, but it seemed logical at the time.

So how'd I do? Here's where I am so far:

Monday: 42 minutes total (1 session) -- sorta steady rate, averaged 16 mph
Tuesday: 46 minutes total (2 sessions) -- sorta steady rate, averaged 17 mph

So that's me. What are you guys doing?
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:00 AM   #2  

I'm currently doing my exercise in the form of dancing games. My goal is to do 60 minutes a day each day of the week. I'm also trying to work in 20 minutes of weight training (beginning Tuesday) daily. So, that's a grand total of 540 minutes a week. That's about 9 hours. I sleep more in one night than that. I can find the time.

Monday: 60 minutes of DDR (2 session).
Tuesday: 90 minutes of DDR (3 sessions). 20 minutes of weight training.
Wednesday: 60 minutes of DDR (1 session). 30 minutes of weight training (3 sessions). My muscles just couldn't take it today. I love getting all of my exercise done nice and early. I added a third weight session to make up for the oreo, which while on plan, always make me feel like a cheat.

Last edited by MsHelena; 05-10-2006 at 10:30 PM.
MsHelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 AM   #3  

Don't forget the

My plan for the rest of the week is

Wednesday (that be today) gym (in about 30 minutes time!!!) - for an hour, day 3 of killer cardio program

Thursday - walking for 3/4 of an hour to my doctor's appointment, and then gym in evening, possibly body combat (coz I have a crush on the instructor!!!)

Friday - gym in morning for another killer cardio workout

Saturday - class in the morning, followed by swimming (ok chilling out in the steam room and spa)

Sunday - swimming in the morning, either a walk or weights in the afternoon
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:42 AM   #4  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I'm game! My goal this week is to walk everyday for at least 45 minutes. I also really need to do my back exercises at least once a day. It is so important for me to do the walking and back exercises after my surgery and I have really slacked off in the past month since I went back to work. So now I plan on getting a schedule going of getting up early and walking then having breakfast and then doing what I'm doing now which is posting here.

I got up a 7:30 this morning which is really early for me. I've been a second shifter for the past 5 years. I went for a walk and it was a beautiful morning. I so enjoy walking once I get out and do it. I have a new cell phone that came with a radio so I listened to NPR while I walked and got the morning news. I can see this becomeing a habit.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/268/130

Height: 5' 2"

Alright - here goes mine... This was my first week adding weight training with the help of my trainer - he rocks - I just love his philosophy on everything!

Monday - 20 minutes of intervals (17 min. at fast walk - 3.4MPH, 3 min. mixed in of running - 4.4MPH)

Tuesday - rest.

Wednesday - 15 reps of (each): stability ball push-ups, chest pull, ball squats w/dumbells, lunges, and bicycle crunches .
Then 10 min. of and .

For the rest of the week I repeat my Wednesday workout... I'm really being whipped into shape!

- Liz
Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #6  
Losin' it forever!

I've been doing the Curves thang and have gotten in one workout so far this week. I'm heading out to number two today (they recommend three a week). Today will be more difficult for me because of just doing it yesterday and I have a bit of trouble doing it two days in a row.
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:53 AM   #7  

Accountability for today, I did 20 minutes hill program on bike, 10 minutes on the machine of the the stairclimber, and 20 minutes hills on the eliptical. Over 400 calories consumed, and I was a good girl and did my stretches! And I have been on my plan food wise today too.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #8  
I climb mountains!

Thumbs up Woo hoo!!!

MsHelena, you are doing so well!! (I love your siggy, by the way! Really powerful. ) It sounds like you're really pushing yourself and at the same time paying attention to what your body is telling you. Awesome!

Oh, kykaree, it's great to see you again, girl!! You are such a workout superstar! Man, you've come so far -- proof that when you love the gym, it loves you back. I'm SO happy to see your progress. And you're right, I DID leave out the -- you know, I saw it and thought of meditation, stupidly not even thinking of yoga! Doh! Yoga rocks. Sounds like you've got a full and well-rounded week planned. The body combat sounds particularly interesting.

Howie, your walk sounds great! Sure sounds to me like a terrific habit to develop. It's the kind of activity you can enjoy and maintain for the rest of your life, giving yourself some time for introspection, reflection, problem-solving and catching up on current events -- all while helping your back, building bone mass, keeping your heart healthy and keeping your body in motion! Definitely a winner. Also, try not to be too hard on yourself for reducing your exercise while getting back in the swing of things at work. Your body's been through a huge ordeal, and it sounds like you had to go through an initial period of adjustment. So you've done that, and now you're back in the saddle. I love your plan to walk every morning before breakfast and then post here afterwards -- it's a win/win, because you're taking care of yourself and we all get to hear from you every day!! Gotta love that!

Gawd, Liz, you ARE being whipped into shape!! That's GREAT!! I've never had a trainer, but I've heard so much about how amazingly empowering and motivating that relationship can be when you find someone with whom you just click. It sounds like you've found that, so go YOU! I am looking forward to getting back into HIIT; I loved doing intervals and man, do they get the job done! I found them just so, so effective. (I'll be doing them next week -- this first week out is about stamina for me.) It really sounds like you're doing great!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #9  
I climb mountains!

You're on track, Kimberly! Sounds like you're off to a good start. I think you'll find that once you get going and have a couple more of those 3/per week sessions down, you'll find it a tad easier to do the back to back sessions. And then the more you do those, the easier they'll get. A body in motion stays in motion.....and, sadly, a body at rest stays at rest. Congratulations on the 9 pounds!! You go, girl! Just stay the course and if you misstep along the way, just get back on the path and keep putting one foot in front of the other....and at some point you'll find that the road behind you is longer than the road ahead.

Kykaree, you kick ***, girl!

As for me, today I did 32 minutes on the bike, pretty much steady rate, avg. 17 mph.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:08 AM   #10  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

I had my Tae Kwon Do class today. The first 30 minutes are always strength training and cardio (like circuit training) followed by the TKD techniques we need to learn for each belt level for a total of 60 minutes.
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #11  

Well, it's Thursday, and I'm just about done for the day. I've done 15 minutes of weight training, and I'm planning on doing another 5 right before bed. I worked out in the garden for 45 minutes, and I got my DDR on for a whole 33 minutes. I'm going to try to convince myself to do the last 27 minutes, but my feet are killing me. Chances are I won't. Pretty good for a day's work.

I finished my DDR. It's now a whole 60 minutes. *pats self on the back* I really hope this pushes the scale.

Last edited by MsHelena; 05-11-2006 at 08:59 PM.
MsHelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #12  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I guess I should start posting here for accountability. The first 4 months of exercise were easy for me and then a couple weeks ago I started to slack off - not being "lazy" actually , just "too busy" to do official exercise and doing fun stuff like gardening and other yardwork. So this week I'm back on track and doing well...aside form my abs killing me from starting ab work again!

Today I did 60 min cardio - rotating machines at the gym (10m stair stepper, 25m elliptical, 20m crossramp and 5m cool down on treadmill) and then 20 minutes Pilates.

Tomorrow is also 60 minutes cardio, 15 min ab work and 20 minutes weights.

Saturday's plan is a 2 hour hike and Pilates if I feel like it.

Sunday I'm leaving to visit one of my sisters for 10 days - so I don't have a specific exercise plan - other than that I'm taking my double stroller and plan to be moving a lot.

Last edited by Nori71; 05-11-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #13  
I climb mountains!

Laura, your class sounds great! I think it's so awesome that you have found an activity that you're passionate about. What belt are you up to now? Not like I'll know how far along that is! No wait, I think you start out with white, and brown comes before the highest level, black. Am I right?

You're a bad mamajama, Helena! Even with your trauma of earlier in the day, you still got in your exercise later. I'm sorry, what does DDR stand for?

Nori, doesn't it feel great to be back in control? Sounds like you've grabbed the bull by the horns and are going to hit it hard in a structured and purposeful way until you go to your sister's. Good job thinking ahead of how you'll remain active while you're there! I can relate to a certain complacency in maintaining focused exercise. I have a tendency to be considerably more disciplined with my eats than with my exercise. I work out hard and give it my all, but I'll do it for a while and then at some point fall off. Then I succumb to my own badgering and get back to it, and then I repeat the process. That's why I started this thread and try to maintain it; I need to consciously focus on it so I don't grow complacent or let myself slide on it.

That said, today I rode for a total of 72 minutes, in 2 sessions. Go me! Nothing for yesterday -- my legs were sore and I felt really worn out because of probably too few calories, so I gave myself off with the promise to myself that I'd be back on today. And so it was. I love it when that happens.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:47 PM   #14  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I did not get anything done the last two day. Yesterday was because I got called into work in the middle of the night so I had to sleep. Then today was just plain laziness. Ate healthy today though so at least I have that.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:13 AM   #15  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessofsarahtolove
Laura, your class sounds great! I think it's so awesome that you have found an activity that you're passionate about. What belt are you up to now? Not like I'll know how far along that is! No wait, I think you start out with white, and brown comes before the highest level, black. Am I right?
Thanks! I really do love my TKD. LOL The whole belt ranking is weird because every martial art does theirs differently; they all start with white and end with black though. My school goes in this order: white, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, purple trim, brown, red and finally black (1st Dan or 'degree'.) Students age 16 and under earn a jr. black belt, also called a Poom. The black belt ranks go from 1st Dan to 9th Dan. If I remember correctly, 4th Dan is a "Master", 7th Dan is a "Grand Master" and 9th Dan is "Great Grand Master".
Currently I am a green belt and will test for blue belt June 8. Most likely I will test for my Black Belt in December 2007!
Our whole school is really excited though because June 24th Mr. Ryan will test for his black belt. He is our instructors first student to test for a black belt.
Anyway, now that I've hijjacked the thread for Tae Kwon Do 101, I return you to your regularily scheduled thread.

p.s. there is more about my school here--> http://barabootaekwondo.tripod.com
(not only am I a student, I'm also their webmaster)
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote