Old 05-09-2006, 10:36 PM   #1  

Unhappy Concerned for BF's health

Like all of you, I'm trying very hard to stay committed to a healthy lifestyle.. I don't even feel pressured in restaurants anymore and get lowfat, nutritional food automatically (not to say I am perfect, heheh). It's not for vanity anymore - I truly desire a healthy body. Here's my problem: my bf who verbalizes the desire to lose weight and take better care of himself just doesn't seem to be determined enough! I have influenced him somewhat - he doesn't drink nearly as much sugary pop as he used to, enjoys salads and many healthy things... but this doesn't stop him from eating large portions of fattening things at nice restaurants, eating big portions of full-fat homemade spaghetti (like what his sister just fixed tonight) or driving thru taco bell even when he isn't hungry. He isn't obese or obviously heavy, but he is dissatisfied enough that he won't go to a pool, etc. And he KNOWS he the effects of these foods on his health. Just because he consumes some healthy foods as well, he doesn't seem to realize how many detrimental things he still eats. Sometimes I get angry (but try not to show it) but usually it just makes me sad. Sure, I wouldn't mind a fitter physique, but I'm truly concerned for his health! I don't want to push him away, but what do I do?
Sporadic_Moods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #2  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

It's soooo hard to change another person's eating habits - Lord knows, it's hard enough to change our own!

The best you can do, in my opinion, is to be a good influence on him by setting a good example food-wise. Maybe you can get him to join you in some kind of exercise?

Good luck
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #3  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I am going through the same thing! My hubby says he will support me and "do" everything with me, but still he eats unhealthy and it's very hard to live with someone who doesn't share the same concerns you do.
All I can say is keep doing what your doing with your own health and keep "encouraging" him to join you. EX: if you go for a bike ride, ask him to go along. or if you make a healthy meal, offer him some.
I know from experience, unfortunately, the only way someone will change is if THEY want too! But you can just keep "encouraging" him, without nagging. Ask him once and if he says no, then just say okay and move on. Usually if they see you doing it and successful, they will eventually join. Or we can hope.
Good Luck, I know what your going through!

*Flady*
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

When I started this journe, my husband did NOT want to change the habits that made him over 250 pounds. In the past I had tried to convince him. This time I told him it was for ME, and that he should NOT start.

He was paying attention, and eating healthier at home, and by the time I had lost 30 pounds wanted to jump on the bandwagon himself. I told him not to do it unless he was really ready. He had lost some weight just because of eating better at home, but wasn't ready, and didn't start... but a month later, did! That was in November, and since then he has lost almost 45 pounds and over 50 pounds total!

The others are right, you CAN'T make someone else do it... but you can be a good example. In addition to my success, what helped my husband was seeing just how tasty my healthy foods were!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #5  

Thanks for the feedback and understanding ladies... I'll try to calm down, breathe, and let this run its course... hopefully our achievements will inspire the others in our lives

If it takes awhile for him to follow my lead.. when changes happen they'll be more permanent than if I had pressured or nagged.. heheh.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #6  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn
When I started this journe, my husband did NOT want to change the habits that made him over 250 pounds. In the past I had tried to convince him. This time I told him it was for ME, and that he should NOT start.

He was paying attention, and eating healthier at home, and by the time I had lost 30 pounds wanted to jump on the bandwagon himself. I told him not to do it unless he was really ready.

Lol, it kinda reminds of reverse psychology.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #7  

Height: 5'9

Oh, I'm going through the same thing with my husband. He was in shape when we met, but over the past 4 years, especially when I started to take off the weight, he's gained about 40-50 pounds. Granted, he's started eating more healthy since I've been eating healthy. But, he still loves his beer, potato chips, bacon and such. And he doesn't exercise. He'll lift 10 pounds weights maybe once a week. He keeps telling me that he wants to lose weight and get into shape again, but he's not "there" yet. So, I just keep encouraging him when he tells me that he's lifted. I told him that I was proud of him and that I've noticed his eating habits have changed for the better. Hopefully, over the summer when he has off from work, he'll step to it!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #8  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

All great advice, ladies, thanks for sharing!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielover
Lol, it kinda reminds of reverse psychology.
exactly!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #10  

I had to bite my lip the other day when my boyfriend told me that he was disappointed that he hadn't lost any weight from giving up his 60oz of Coke-a-day (yeah, he's a coke addict...the soda kind, not the other kind). At first i just laughed, thinking he was kinda playing, but no. He was disappointed. I calmly explained that while i thought he was doing an INCREDIBLE job giving up his soda habit, that it just wasn't that easy. I mean ****, i eat 1200 cal a day and work out 5-6 days a week all to lose 1-2 lbs a week and this idiot wants to cut out a little soda and magically lose weight! THE NERVE! hehe.
Miss DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #11  

lol @ Miss DC... cute how innocent some are eh?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:44 PM   #12  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

I was having the same issue with my hubby! He's a diabetic, and has never really taken care of himself, or really cared what he's eaten. He eats so much junk food and drinks so much soda its disgusting!!!! I've removed chips and soda from the house, and only have water in the fridge to drink. We go walking daily for about 30-45 minutes together. After my surgery in February, and over 8 months of being immobile, I was ready to tackle getting back in shape and being outside and active. So he's come for walks, played football outside with me, frisbee...made it fun! He went to see the diabetic nurse the other day and had to get blood work done and everything....his blood pressure is REALLY high...so he will be put on blood pressure pills...which he's not happy about...we are going to see a diatician tomorrow to talk about food, so it will be beneficial for both of us!
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:39 PM   #13  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

My husband isn't over-weight and looks like the picture of health. He drinks way too much soda. I tried getting it out of the house and having everyone drink water. It didn't work, he would stop and buy it himself before he comes home from work. It's true, you can't change someone else. I make healthy food for everyone and he tells me of all the junk food he eats at work. He did say the other day that maybe he'd like to start doing some crunches, but I haven't seen one yet. Oh well, I think my new healthy lifestyle is starting to make him at least think about it.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote