Old 05-09-2006, 07:55 PM   #1  

Default Salty/crunchy snacks

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'll ask anyway....

My biggest problem is wanting a crunchy, salty snack somewhere after dinner and before bed. I inevitably eat an entire full-sized bag of micro popcorn, or half a bag of pretzels. Not horrible, but those calories add up. Does anyone have some good alternatives to these things that won't rack up a gazillion calories right before bed? I'm looking for something other than veggies because they just don't seem to do it for that particular craving. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
KellyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/205/150

Height: 5' 6"

rice cake with a little p-nut butter works for me on 2 levels, one for the salt I buy the lightly salted cakes , and pnut butter gives that sweet taste.
higherfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:57 PM   #3  
LLV

I love the mini rice snacks. I usually buy the Kroger brand, but they're the equivalent to the Quaker Quakes, I think they're called. I like the cheddar flavor the best. 70 calories a serving and satisfies that need to crunch.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:28 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I take 2 fat free ry-krisp crackers (50 calories) and top with a laughing cow cheese wedge (35 calories). 85 calories and its salty and crunchy and delish. If you want a bit more flavor, get the garlic herb kind. Mmmm...
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #5  

Default Good suggestions....

now I just have to learn how to stick to ONE serving - when it comes to snacks, my mind just can't seem to accept the fact that a handful of anything is enough!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #6  

Why don't you buy the mini bags of pretzels from Snyder's or those little boxes of pretzel stix or the mini bags of micro popcorn? All of these only have 100 cals and the popcorn quantity is more than enough!
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipidful
Why don't you buy the mini bags of pretzels from Snyder's or those little boxes of pretzel stix or the mini bags of micro popcorn? All of these only have 100 cals and the popcorn quantity is more than enough!
This is an excellent idea.

Just buy the single-serve bags.

The best way to avoid temptation in the home is to leave them on the store shelves.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/204/170

Height: 5'6

I have the same problem, I crave salty snacks. The things that work for me are the mini bags of popcorn, ranch wheat thins with cottage cheese, and the Smart Mix bag by Frito Lay. It's got baked Doritos, baked Cheetos, pretzels, and Kids Mix. If I had a big family sized bag of baked Cheetos, I would definitely over-eat. Portion control is the key for me!
Allikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:08 PM   #9  

Default More good stuff!

Again, good suggestions. I totally agree with the one post....the best thing for me to do (most of the time) is to not buy anything I can sit and eat mindlessly. But the next best thing would be to buy the single sized bags....I'll have to look for the snack packs of the baked stuff....and try to stick to one bag! Thanks again ladies...
Old 05-11-2006, 08:39 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 240/204/170

Height: 5'6

I found the Smart Mix bag at Wal-Mart SuperCenter. It's got about 20 individual sized bags in it, I think it's around 6 dollars. Hope that helps!
Allikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

roasted chickpeas. they're an alternative to roasted nuts and are low in fat and high in fiber.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:04 PM   #12  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Speaking of rice snacks. Has anyone tried the Quaker Quakes? The carmel corn one is absolutely out of this world! It's crunchy and sweet and salty. 7 cakes = 60 calories, no fat and 11 grams of carbs. YUMMY!!!!
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:54 AM   #13  

I find myself dealing with this all the time! I have a terrible sweettooth, but it seems to really just be for Chocolate and Ice Cream! Lately, I've been getting cravings for...junk, lol. I started buying the little snack packs of everything, that way it's in moderation right? The only problem that I have is that it is VERY had for me to just eat one! Constantly I'm like "no Stephie, Stay AWAY from the kitchen!" :P
xostephie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #14  

Speaking of rice cakes, I love the Quaker Cinnamon Toast ones (50 calories a piece) - I put 1/4 cup of LF cottage cheese on top with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar, and it's actually satisfying as a dessert or snack, and is only about 80 calories.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:01 PM   #15  

"crunchy salty" would be triscuit thin crisps. Very heathy but stick to the portion size 15 crackers. Very good with turkey pepperoni and or laughing cow light french onion cheese.

Chari
surfer376 is offline   Reply With Quote