WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 01:52 PM   #1  
VJJ

Question Need help calculating points per serving for recipe

I have a great low fat ziti recipe, but need helpcalculating the points per serving:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs sweet and/or hot Italian turkey sausage links, cut into 1-inch chunks
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 large green, yellow, or red (I use yellow and red) peppers, cut into 1/4 in slices
1 jumbo onion, cut in half, then cut crosswise into 1/4 in slices
1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes in puree
1 can (15 oz) tomato puree (I can never find a 15 oz can of puree, so I just use tomato sauce)
1-teaspoon salt
1 pound high-fiber ziti or penne pasta (Like Barilla Plus)
1 (8 oz) package of Kraft 2% or Light (NOT fat-free) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese

Because there is so little fat in turkey sausage, I use a very little olive oil when frying it. Or, you can try using a little chicken broth.

1. Prepare sauce: in deep skillet, heat a little olive oil and sauté the sausage over medium-high heat until browned on all sides, stirring occasionally

2. Reduce heat to medium. To sausage in skillet, add a tiny bit more olive oil or broth, if necessary to prevent burning, and the onions, peppers, and garlic and cook, covered, 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.

3. Stir in tomatoes with the puree, the puree, and salt. Heat to boiling over medium heat, breaking up tomatoes with the side of a spoon. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat large covered pot of salted water to boiling over high heat. Add pasta, and cook for a minute or two less than the time recommended on the label.

5. Drain pasta. Return pasta to pot; add sauce to coat. Add mozzarella cheese. Stir slightly to combine.

6. Put pasta to an ungreased 11" x 13" glass or ceramic baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle with the grated cheese.

7. Bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes, until top browns and sauce is bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes

Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:05 PM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

bumping up - anyone got info for this?
Old 05-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #3  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

Looks yummy! I just wanted to say I use MasterCook for this kind of situation. It has the USDA food database in it, and I add specialty ingredients like the Barilla pasta to the database for future reference. Really cool software for $20. Unfortunately, I don't have it here so can't figure it for you.
Closed Thread