Old 05-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/204/170

Height: 5'6

Default Garlicky Roasted Broccoli

I have a hard time finding veggie recipes that make me think "yuuuummmm!!" But here's a recipe that is so much better than plain broccoli.

Garlicky Roasted Broccoli
25 MINUTES
5 minutes to make
20 minutes to cook

1 1/2 pounds broccoli
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, toss the broccoli with the olive oil, garlic, ginger, salt and crushed red pepper. Spread the broccoli on a baking sheet and roast in the upper third of the oven for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender and browned in spots.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 110 calories; 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat; 57percent calories from fat); 10 g carbohydrates; 0mg cholesterol; 240mg sodium; 5g protein; 3g fiber.
Allikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:08 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 8"

Question Sounds Good!

So do you chop the broccoli up or just cut at each lil' stem? I just thought they might not lay well, but if chopped all the little green stuff crumbles off. I've always had a problem figuring out what to do with brocc & cauli.
Sun_Flower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #3  

Default mmm... broccoli

this sounds so good- i love raw broccoli and roasting is my favorite way to cook veggies (especially asparagus- mmm), i just never thought to roast broccoli
THX!
punkrockgrryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:09 PM   #4  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Broccoli is so much better roasted. I cheat and just throw some frozen broccoli in a pan, mix in a bit of olive oil and a spice (any spice works, really!) and let it go for 20 minutes. It can go straight from frozen to cooked and it helps the flavor so immensely!

Jessie
JessieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:21 PM   #5  

if you squeeze just a lil bit of lemon on top of the roasted broccoli...it would taste even better!
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:48 PM   #6  

Default Oil??

This looks really good but can you make it with out the oil? Would it wilt without it?
GoingGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/204/170

Height: 5'6

I think the purpose of the oil is to make the spices stick to the broccoli. I'm sure you could cut it down to 1 tbl spoon though if you are concerned about the fat...Or maybe it's to give the broccoli a nice golden brown color. Not sure though.
Allikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:45 PM   #8  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGoal
This looks really good but can you make it with out the oil? Would it wilt without it?
I'd bet anything that you could get away with using no-calorie cooking spray
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #9  
1st baby due 3/1/07!!!

S/C/G: 150/158/135

Height: 5.3

Ooh, I have broccoli sitting at home in the fridge, I'm gonna have to try this out tonight
babymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:41 AM   #10  

Cauliflower is excellent roasted this way also. If you think you don't like cauliflower, you probably won't even recognize it when it's roaster this way. I'm not joking, people think it's some kind of potato.

I turn the cauliflower on its side and make long slices that way. You most certainly don't have to use 1/4 cup of oil, I usually use a tbl or two. If you have one of those olive oil mister things you can do 1 tbl of OO and spray some on the rest. It's important to roast it long enough that it gets crispy and the edges start to brown. You won't be able to stop eating it!

Head of Cauliflower (or more!!!)
1/4 c Good Olive Oil (EVOO not necessary)
Kosher or Sea Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Preheat oven to 400F. Trim and wash the whole head of Cauliflower then slice it about 1/4 inch thick. There will be lots of small pieces and several large lacy slices. Place the cauliflower into a large bowl and drizzle on the Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper to taste, toss to coat.

Spread the cauliflower evenly onto sheet pans (I use 2 half-sheet pans) and put in the oven. After about 10 minutes, stir them around to get the pieces on the edge of the pan moved towards the middle to encourage even browning, stir again every 5-10 minutes. After about 20 minutes it is ready, but can be left a little longer until even more browned depending on your taste and addiction level.

Plan on 1 head of Cauliflower for every 2 people you are planning to serve. It reduces in volume significantly and is very addictive. Leftovers (leftovers?!) are excellent hot or cold.
valentina is offline   Reply With Quote