Old 05-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #1  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

Default PLEASE advise!!

Okay-I know I'm gonna get some "I told you so's" here, but bring 'em on, I guess I need them. I did Atkin's for almost 5 weeks and lost 20 lbs. Then at the insistance of my dh, I switched to calorie counting. For those of you who didn't read my previous posts, it was due to the fact that I was having SEVERE constipation, leg cramps, etc., which I know are all pretty predictable with this diet. I had just started taking some Carbsmart one a day vitamins, but didn't really give them time to kick in before I switched plans. My hubby kept on my back about how unhealthy he thought this diet was, and the more he insisted, the more it sounded better to switch, and the idea of more variety (and less nagging) sounded wonderful.

The problem is, I have kept under 1200 calories and 45 grams of fat for 10 days, and I've GAINED 3 pounds. I know that doesn't sound like much, but the numbers creeping up on the scale are TERRIFYING to me. I didn't bust my butt for 5 weeks and see results just to gain it all back! I'd rather DIE of constipation!

I "secretly" started induction again today, but it won't be long before he notices that I'm eating differently. I REALLY need some advise here. I'm gonna do what I need to, and to **** with what everyone else says, but he's not unreasonable and I think I can give this a different approach and not have to argue about it.....

I know that the leg cramps, which I had pretty bad, were from lack of potassium. Will the vitamins help with that eventually? I've read that you can't legally obtain sufficient amounts from OTC stuff. I'm prone to that, and before Atkins I'd just eat a banana, but now I can't.

As for the stomach troubles-I know the pattern changes because you are eating so differently, so how often is it "normal" to go while on Atkins? I was eating salad every day to try to help with the roughage, but nothing. Once I went 10 days with no bm, and it was excruciating. I live in a rural area, and when I went to town, I searched high and low for some damn psyllium, to no avail. Any tips on other stuff that helps, or where to buy psyllium online?

And last but certainly not least, did I just totally screw up my metabolism, and by going off and on again is my body going to resist the change? Will I not lose this time like I did before? Am I going to go through the headaches and crap during induction like I did before?
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:56 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I really can't tell you what will happen with only being off Atkins for a short while. I understand your comment "I'd rather die from constipation". I, too have went up to 10 days without a BM and it is certainly miserable. I haven't tried the psyllium yet that people on here have recommended, but plan to get some. When I get miserable from no BM, I take 2 correctol or 2 colace. Both are OTC and have helped me. Have also tried Dulcolax tabs, but these seem to cause more cramping and more likely to induce diarrhea. Also taking a tablespoon of Milk of Magnesium can help. I've tried pretty much everything but dynamite. Sorry to hear that your husband isn't supportive of the Atkins woe, mine wasn't at first, but he's very ok with it now. My doctor is the one that started me with (low-carb) life so I think it is the right plan for me. If your doctor is supportive of Atkins, maybe you could have him talk with your husband about it. Also, I did learn that my Potassium level and Calcium level were low from this new woe. I now take presciption Potassium and OTC Calcium as well as a Multivitamin and now everything is normal. I think Potassium for most people will stay normal with just OTC tabs, but since I take diuretics, I needed prescription strength. Good luck and well wishes to you.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #3  
Going to ONEderland

NEVER should you allow yourself to go 10 days without a BM. There is an over the counter medicine called "PerDiem" that has psyllium husks in it. It is what my doctor recommended and what I use. Other than that an enema bag works too. 10 days is way too long. You should see a BM at least once every three days or so and if not then you need to either be drinking more water or taking the psyllium or eating more brocolli or cabbage or salad or vegetables or whatever, or be using an enema bag.

Really 10 days IS dangerous. Seriously. Potassium is a mineral not a vitamin. Your multivitamin may contain it or it may not. There are natural sources of potassium, bananas obviously aren't allowed on Atkins, but there are other sources

"The best dietary sources of potassium are fresh unprocessed foods, including meats, fish, vegetables (especially potatoes), fruits (especially avocados, dried apricots, and bananas), citrus juices (such as orange juice), dairy products, and whole grains. Most potassium needs can be met by eating a varied diet with adequate intake of milk, meats, cereals, vegetables, and fruits."

Obviously some of those things aren't allowed on Atkins, but some of them are too. I generally take a potassium pill which has very little potassium in it, but enough that it doesn't allow the muscle cramps.

The three pounds you gained back are nothing to worry about. Most of the first weight you lose with Atkins is water weight and when you begin eating carbs again the fiber you consume holds on to more water so that is what you begin to gain back. You can do low cal or low carb, either will take the weight off. Atkins works a little faster because of the water weight lost, but that also helps to contribute to the constipation problem you were describing.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:49 PM   #4  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

if you cant find psyllium husk powder, try the sugar free metemucil(sp?)...works just as well
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

My doctor also recommended Benefiber, and I believe it is OTC too.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #6  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

YOu can buy potassium OTC which I use when I start. I take one two or three times daily for the first few weeks then drop down to only if I feel my legs acting a bit logy (like I want to go and they do not) They come in 99 mg varitey but do not mistake them for the potassium that you take by prescrption you need about 8 of them to equal the "10 meq's" they are prescribed in. you can also take a stool softner or mild laxative but best thing is to take your vegies and lost of them. DH will think you are eating healthy if you eat tons of vegies.
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #7  
I restore Teeth.

whats a BM?
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:23 PM   #8  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielover
whats a BM?
bowel movement
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #9  

Thanks for replying everyone! The carbsmart vitamins do have potassium, the 99 mg or whatever. I think that's the strongest allowable OTC. I live in a small town, and my doctor here was not supportive of Atkins. Tried to give me the cookie-cutter diet they give out to everyone since 1975 and told me to exercise. Why do doctor's do that? Isn't obesity a health problem? Yes, it's my fault, but would they not want to treat me if I went in for emphysema or lung cancer because I smoked? There is a little clinic here, and I saw two different doctor's, both of whom seemed annoyed that that was what I was there for. I could go to Tucson to see another doc, but that's a six hour round trip drive so I just said to **** with it and did this on my own. I just hope I haven't screwed things up for myself by going off of the plan!
Old 05-08-2006, 07:07 AM   #10  
Baby Steps

I've often wondered why doctors have one standard of diets. It's like "one size fits all" and we all know how those fit/work. When I weighed 171 (my highest weight) I talked to MY doctor about it as well....and he said I wasn't obese and a little exercise would do the trick. Well, huh??? Anyway....I can see why you'd be upset! Keep up the great work and I'm sure you'll get the BM and cramps straightened out
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 205/166.2/150

Height: 5'3

I saw some psyllium husk capsules at our local Dollar General store just yesterday. They were $3.00 a bottle for 100 capsules. I was going to buy some myself, cause i also have problems with constipation on this woe. But i just had Hiatel Hernia surgery 8 weeks ago. (Thats where they take the top portion of my stomach and wrap it around my esophagus.) Now sometimes i have a hard time swallowing some things. I was afraid it would get stuck and bulk up in my throat. So i settled for exlax instead. I would rather had the phyllium husk though. Look at your local Dollar General, maybe they also carry them the bottle said Fiber Capsules. Hope this helps, and you get things to moving soon.
Candy
Candy In Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:37 AM   #12  

Rebel -

Try the other OTC stuff everyone is recommending. A lot of us get the loose phsylium powder to add to our shakes or something else it can be blended in to, but the others do basically the same job. I don't have any problem with constipation, and never have. I go at least once a day. Coffee is a diuretic for me, so after 2 or 3 cups, I have to head to the bathroom. Magnesium Citrate is something else that is used for constipation, but it causes diarreha it seems, in some people anyway.

As for your husband, what about this woe freaks him out? What are you eating that makes him so uptight about it? Bacon? Pork rinds? You can do this woe just as easily without that stuff. Cut out what you think is causing the problem with him to avoid conflict. Look at leaner meats, more greens, salad dressings that aren't made of mayo, and boiled eggs to top your salad instead of fried. These are just thoughts... but if you make it more of a healthy way of eating, can he really argue?

The metabolism question is a good one. I don't think after 5 weeks you did to much harm, but I sure wouldn't bounce back and forth either. This time might take you a little longer to go into ketosis though.. but just be patient, and remind yourself.. your husband isn't the one loosing the weight for you. Only you can make it happen how you see fit.

Good luck!
Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #13  

Thanks for the support guys-DH said that any diet that tells you bacon is okay and apples are not is crazy. And when I couldn't go to the bathroom for so long that only made it worse. I had tried exlax and correctol tablets, both only made my stomach hurt, and he kept wanting to bring me to the ER. Not that he doesn't eat his fair share of bacon and steak, and drinks half a dozen cokes a day, which I think is just priceless. I've seen the magnesium citrate at the local grocery store, so I'll try it. After what I went through last time, diarrhea would be a godsend!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #14  

If I were you, I would just modify the diet with lean protein and healthy veggies. You will still be doing low carb but you will be getting more nutrients from the veggies and hopefully helping out your cramps and bm's. I don't think your husband or doctor could argue with that since it really is a healthy alternative. I would just make sure you eat enough and often so as not to hurt your metabolism like you said. I am also thinking of doing this, so I will let you know how it goes if you want.
rockgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:52 PM   #15  

Sure D, I'd be interested to hear how it goes.....I'm up for any input here!