Exercise! - Crunches, Push Ups and weight loss help

toned
05-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Hi,
Just to tell you a bit about myself I am about 5'5" and weigh about 145lbs. I have been with a gym for about a month now, but haven't seen any weight loss. I either go to group classes for an hour and a weight/resistance training class every other day. If I can't go to a class then I usually do 30 minutes on the eliptical trainer. I find that my arms are becoming more defined I think because of the weight/resistance class, but my abdominal area seems to be the same and my butt, thighs are still the same. Does anyone know why there hasn't been a reduction in weight or why I haven't toned in these other areas.

I find that when I do situps or crunches that I feel a sharp pain around my lower back. This is usually after 5 or 6 crunches. Does anyone have any tips to help me out, I would really love to tone my abs. I use the ab cruncher machines at the gym but I am not really sure if that is an effective machine.

As for Push ups, for both tricep and bicep push ups I find that I can't go that low. Is it that my arms can not take the weight of my upper body, or am I not in the proper position for my elbows to bend to lower myself with all of my weight.

Thanks

kykaree
05-07-2006, 05:45 AM
Firstly, if you haven't lost weight, I would say check what you are eating. Exercise and food intake go hand in hand. I exercise a lot and I haven't lost weight recently, and that's because I am eating exactly what my body needs, I am not creating a defecit. It's really easy to overeat when you exercise, or it is for me anyway, because I physicially feel hungry. When I was 262lbs I never felt hungry!!!

As for crunches, you need to exercise the opposite muscles as well. Your abs wrap right around your back. Do you have stability balls in your gym? If you do, get a trainer to show you some exercises, there are loads that will improve your overall core strength, which means tight and toned abs. Back exercises like supermans, where you get on all fours and extend opposite arm and opposite leg and hold it, will help. I do all my abs work on the stability ball.

Finally, your pushups will get better and better as you get stronger, just keep at it!!!

Hope that helps.

toned
05-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks Kykaree, that helps, I will try and do strengthen my back. I used one of those ab roller devices, I think that is the name, where it helps you keep the form you need by lying down and holding the bar that is around you, and it still hurt my back, so I know that I need to work on those muscles.