PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #1  
elizabeth

S/C/G: 285

Default PCOS and post pregnancy.

I have a 14 year old and after tkaing metformin for a few days I now have a one month old son. I wondered if anyone knew what changes you go through and if your cycles changed after being pregnant. I wish my body would kinda reset itself now that I've been pregnant and that my periods will go normal again. before the baby soemtimes i would go 9 months without a period and was told i didn't ovulate. All during my pregnancy i had PCOS symptoms like the hair growth and yellowing under arms and in between legs. It got worse once i was off the metformin after 12 weeks into the pregnancy.Anyways I guess I wanted to know if there is anyone else in my shoes or who has been there. I wasen't diagnosed PCOS for many years later after having my first son so I don't remember the changes etc....
reverie1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:49 PM   #2  
low carbing in Oz

S/C/G: 85/73/65kg

I dont know that I can really answer your question, but I can add that my symptoms really got so much worse after each pregnancy. For me as I gained weight my physical symptoms got worse, the excess hair, oily skin, thinning hair, tummy weight. i blame it on the weight gain because I dont have any other explanation. It was after baby number 3 that I was dx. my periods are a bit crazy (after a life time of normal) now, but the weight loss seems to be helping. My skins better, hairs thickening, but I am on met, spiro and nat. progesterone. So who knows what is really helping, maybe just a combo of all these things.
rach3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:00 AM   #3  

For me, symptoms got worse post pregnancies but I suspect now that was because I gained most of my weight post pregnancy not during (I breastfed and that always made me ravenous so I ate and ate!) I think the symptoms increased post babies because my weight had increased. After I had my first baby, my periods did stop being painful, however, and they have never gone back to being so crippling I couldn't move for a day - which is how they were until I gave birth.

They also got a bit more frequent after I had my babies, but the other symptoms - hair growth, and after I stopped breastfeeding - hair loss - were a whole lot worse.

In retrospect (sorry to sound negative but this has been my experience and I have 5 kids) - pregnancies and breastfeeding even moreso, have messed up my hormones and body far more than PCOS ever did!
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:25 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

I too didn't have PCOS symptoms until after getting pregnant. I had my first skin tag when I was pregnant, and my underarms and the back of my neck changed color. I also gained 72 pounds when I was pregnant so that didn't help!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote