Old 05-05-2006, 06:41 AM   #1  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Default Fast Food Woes...

yes, yes, yes...I know the stuff is crap! But I live with a husband that LOVES the stuff....absolutely thinks that its the greatest. Well, what that means for me is that one night a week, at least, I am eating greasy burgers or something. So...I was wonder what is the best tips, hints, tricks, meal ideas you can give me about these places?

Thanks!
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:37 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Get sandwiches with as few calorie-laden toppings as possible. Skip anything you can live without--no cheese, no mayo, no "special sauce," no ranch dressing, no barbecue sauce...try to stick to veggies (pickles, onions, lettuce, tomatoes...) and mustard and/or ketchup. Also, I used to get burgers from McDonald's, and since they build it with the meat directly on the bottom bun and all topping between the meat and top bun, i woud flip the burger up-side-down and remove the bottom bun and just hold it from the bottom (err, the top bun), kinda like a slice of pizza. Removed some of the refined white carbs that way.

If you have the option, get a salad. Try to get one with just veggies and grilled chicken without all the "extras" (i.e., cheese, croutons, bacon, etc.). Then choose a low-fat dressing or even use your own dressing.

Wendy's has great baked potatoes and chili. Just skip the butter and sour cream--I've gotten a plain baked potato and poured my chili over the top...yum! A high-protein, low-fat meal.

Most fast-food chains have the nutritional values for their food listed on their websites, so no matter what you end up ordering, you can at least know the damage ahead of time. This can help you to plan a meal that best meets your goals (higher protein, lower fat, lower calories, whatever your specific wants are).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:01 AM   #3  
it's always something

Most fast food restaurants offer grilled chicken sandwiches. As long as you don't weigh them down with bacon, cheese, and mayo, then you are doing good Add a side salad, and only drink water or diet drinks, nothing sugary.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:09 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

Most fast food places offer better choices now. Plan ahead before going there. Salads (hold the dressing, or get a FF one), and grilled chicken sandwiches are good options.

I love Wendy's, their plain baked potato and chili are very good. And if it's pizza your going for, try the ones loaded with veggies, no meats.

Remember, where there's a will there's a way, you can do it. Just prepare yourself for it, both mentally and by getting information ahead of time. Almost all fast food chains have websites with all the nutritional info listed on them.

Good luck!
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:50 AM   #5  

We do fast food alot Wendys is my favorite choice i get the side salad and a small chili pour it over the salad and you have a grat filling meal.

If you forget to look up the nutrional info before you go most FF places have them if you ask if cant find them posted ( which they are in alot of places)

Mcdonalds has the nutrional info on the back of the placemats.

Good luck
shorebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #6  

You've gotten some great advice - do your homework and plan ahead. I have recently started bringing lunch to work instead of eating out. When we do eat out, I know what is available at each restaurant that won't wreck my plans. Knowing that I made a good choice seems to boost my spirits and reinforces what I am trying to do while the feeling of french fries and club sandwiches only lasts for the few moments of eating them. The mind games that we play.........but it works for me (unless I'm in a really bad mood and couldn't care less!) Good luck and you'll get there. Small changes will become habits.
tresor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:12 AM   #7  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

If you go to Burger King you can get their Tendergrill Chicken Salad. I get no dressing. The rest is like 230 calories. It's pretty big too.

Since you go out alot, I would go to eat place you tend to eat (online) and see what is doable calorie wise and create a list of what to order at each place. Then you won't feel so bad about going out.
nicolbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #8  
Edge Of Glory

S/C/G: 350/See Ticker/199

Height: 5'8"

I'll be honest and say that I do have fast food regularly, and I've been losing weight. I just don't have burgers and fries and sodas. For example, I have a turkey & swiss Frescata Sandwich from Wendy's often, and drink water with it since that's all I ever drink now. From McDonald's, I have their Premium chicken sandwiches, grilled or crispy. I haven't had anything from Burger King though. I only have these because I plan for them ahead of time so I know my calorie intake for the day. I know I'm gonna have to start working on my eating habits, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it... I'm sticking to what's comfortable and what works for me for now.
VirgoChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

The Bacon Ranch with grilled chicken salad from McDonalds is pretty good, and so is their Fruit N Walnut salad, and their Yogurt Parfaits-all are healthier choices than the regular burgers/fries fare. Order a water, or a diet soda.

At Taco Bell, a spicy chicken soft taco isn't bad calorie wise at all-and it is also made with lettuce and salsa, instead of fatty/calorie laden cheese and sour cream. The Zesty Chicken Bowl isn't too bad on calories and fat, either-since there is no fried shell...and it is chicken/beans/rice as the bulk of it, rather than beef/cheese.

You got some good suggestions for Wendy's-my favorites are the salads, and the chili. A small chili is under 300 cals, and a large chili is under 400 I believe-check the websites for the actual nutrition info on these items.

At the larger Dairy Queens, where they sell food as well as ice cream, they have sugar free/fat free bars that are around 60 calories each...and salads, etc. as well.

Good luck!

Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:59 PM   #10  
Susan hockeyfan7

Just be careful if you have issues with certain ingredients. McDonald's chicken is not actual plain chicken -- it has a bunch of garbage on it in a marinade or coating or whatever they call it.

But the Web sites will also list the ingredients for each food.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #11  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

A lot of fast food chains have added "healthy choices" like multitudes of salads, but check the nutrition info. Calorically, a salad with fixings can be worse for you than the burger. Not to say that we should all have a Big Mac every day, because a heart attack would be right around the corner. But if it's just occasionally, and just about calorie count, have a kid's meal with water or diet soda. Most chains even have an alternate choice to ditch the fries for apple slices or mandarin pieces, etc. A special treat? McDonald's ice cream cones are low-fat and about 150 calories. Fast food IS do-able. Just don't fall into the supersize trap. Most of the portions we get at these chains with the meal deals are monstrous compared to what we SHOULD have.
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #12  
with my mind on my monkey

What about ordering off the kid's menu? The portions are much more reasonable (and cheaper, too).
HungryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 09:10 AM   #13  

Burger King's website is really cool. You do the "Build A Meal" and opt to remove certain things from a sandwich that you don't want...such a mayo...and it will adjust the calorie count for you. A Whopper Jr. w/o the mayo and a side salad is only 310 calories and a Whopper Jr. fills me up completely. You can take your own dressing with you.
1dayatatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #14  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

I'm sooooo glad to read a thread that doesn't demonize fast food. I, personally, have only had about 5 french fries (1 a month or so) and maybe 3-4 slices of pizza since December, but it still makes me sad to read, "Fast Food is Garbage! It's Crap!" and so on. I guess I just don't see things as black-and-white as that (healthy or GARBAGE!!!!!!)

As is shown in the posts above, most fast food places have a variety of offerings, some healthier than others. And, quite honestly, you can find that at any restaurant, not just fast food places.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:43 AM   #15  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less of Lena
As is shown in the posts above, most fast food places have a variety of offerings, some healthier than others. And, quite honestly, you can find that at any restaurant, not just fast food places.
I think this is something people forget about constantly. Seriously, even if you choose something "grilled" instead of fried in a regular restaurant, they are likely grilling it on a flat-iron stove in a pool of melted butter (plus quite possibly some grease leftover from whatever meats were grilled there before).

I am a huge fan of Subway. I eat there at least twice a week. When I'm feeling lazy or tired or rushed, I'd much rather have a full 12-inch chicken teriyaki sub with veggies than a cheeseburger and fries for the same amount of calories (plus the sub will have much less fat).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote