Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default BFLers!! Check in here!

Little quiz to keep us connected!!

1. Which is your favorite workout? Upper body or lower body???

2. Which one are you doing today???

3. How much do you hope to lose in the phase???

I'll post my answers below
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

1. I think after having done both, I like lower body the best. It feels great to work those huge, big muscles, although, walking down stairs for the rest of the day and the next day is mighty scary!!! lol On Lower body I don't have to switch weights as much, so it's faster, and I"m done in 30 quick minutes. Upper body is a lot of weight switching, odd positions on the bench, and drags by it seems.

2. I'm a little off this first week and did lower yesterday. Might do upper body today to get back on schedule, or just do yoga plus cardio.

3. I'm hoping for the max, maybe: 30 pounds? But my eating will have to get alot cleaner for that to happen I think.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #3  

I like both, each for its own different element. The UBWO is nice because I can see real immidate results, the LBWO because my clothes fit better.

Upper Body with some odds and ends thrown in, I do a lot of ab work whenever I can fit it in as it helps with my back.

My goal is to get to 180 and reassess what and how I am doing.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

Like Liza, I have to say I don't have a favorite, though if forced to choose, I'd say upper.

Um, both. Actually doing a BodyPump class which does a mix, plus moves fast enough to get my hr up. All my exercise done in 75 minutes!

Ah. I'd like to lose 10-15, but mostly I'd like my clothes to fit better. At my age (61) I don't lose very fast.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

May I join you BFLers? I know I'm late in joining in, but I've got Peeke's book reserved for me at the library, and will start in this weekend. It would be good to have a group to report in to.

Susan

re the questions

I love both! Have trouble with lower body as I have a bad knee and can't do lunges, but I squat to beat the band, and do alot of floor exercises. I'm also bottom heavy, and don't like using weights with the lb, so won't be doing strictly BFL for lb, but rather, toning.

Today is a lower body day. Will do video Karen Voight Lean Legs and Buns, then 2 mile power walk.

I need to drop 10 pounds as my intermediate goal, but if I could be like Water Rat and drop a size, I would be ecstatic. My problem is at night, when no matter how well I've done during the day, I gorge on nut mix (oatmeal, cranberries and almonds). Need to find better substitution. Does anyone know whether having protein at night is bad for you? Thought maybe a protein shake might do.
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:46 AM   #6  

Default BFL - Lower Body Day

SUSAN - I don't think you can really be late in joining in, cause the fact you are joining is the whole point. I should think that having a protein shake in the evening is better than what you are having now. If it holds you over, then go for it. Dropping clothing sizes is much more interesting to me than the pounds right now.

Anyway, hour of cardio, watching CNN, so amusing today I thought, then LBWO. I have done something to my left knee so I am choosing all things that won't aggrevate it. Another way to know I am over 190.

I did get on the butt buster though, just love that machine for some reason, maybe the way I feel all contorted while using it.

Beautiful day here in Cambridge, out of here early this afternoon - two hours to myself - then DD wants to do something. She is also planning a picnic after a hike this Sunday, so I am flipping through my EFL cookbook for ideas.

Got a great breakfast in, WW toast, two eggs, two slices of canadian bacon and tomato slices. It was lovley. Also reread the EFL plan and how to make it work. A lot came back to me.

BTW - noticing how the EFL routine and WW CORE program as really the same thing.

Day 1 of the desugaring is going fine, heck, almost through the whole morning.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbabe

I think my favorite workout is upper body because I love the way the exercises feel. There's always a lot of stretching involved in working the chest and back, and I can literally feel all my kinks unkinking. LBWO is a harder workout for me, because I have arthritis in my hips.

As for how much I hope to lose, I, too, am aiming for lower dress sizes rather than pounds. And on that score, I am already seeing progress. I begin Week 4 tomorrow, and a brand new pair of jeans that I bought shortly before beginning -- jeans, I might add, that fit beautifully -- are distinctly lose. I never expected to see results this quickly. Pat, I"m with you -- I don't lose pounds very quickly and I might not lose any even though I'm eating very clean and chalking up a fair amount of exercise. But if the clothes fit better, I will be a very happy camper!

I'm packing up for Commencement Week. I just bought a new book with 150 resistance band exercises that I'm going to take with me. My goal is to walk daily and use my bands. If I don't get a chance to check in, I'll be thinking of you.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:38 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Well, I'm ready to move into week 2. Week 1 went well - cardio 5 days, weights 3 days. And eating was about 90% clean, only 1 day over 1600 cal.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:30 AM   #9  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I normally work out at home and have always preferred UBWO but last week I went to a gym for the first time and had a really great LBWO!

I'm slightly more interested in dress sizes as well because pounds aren't really making much sense at the moment. I'm a yoyo dieter from way back when and this is the first time I've lifted - the training has changed my shape so that I'm now a whole dress size smaller than I've ever been at this weight before.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:26 AM   #10  

Default Good weekend dispite allergies

I did UBWO at home on Saturday, staying away from the blooming trees as much as possible. Used the Cathe Friedlich (sp) tv program on FIT TV that I DVRed. I am recording her whole series, she is calm and upbeat at the same time. I also noticed Gilead has a whole new series of shows on too. I need to have a fall back plan.

Good week last week and yesterday was my free day, and something about that , I just didn't need to stuff my face off track. And I did eat too. Need to stay focused on not eating when I am not hungry though, made waffles from scratch, and finished the second one when I didn't really need too. The next step is to make up some that are more loaded for me and freeze them for my treats.

Beach was great relief from allergies, mostly hung out and read.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #11  

Couldn't check in on the weekend as my computer mouse died at home...did Cathe Friedrich's Slow and Heavy Biceps/Triceps on Saturday; yesterday concentrated on lower body; did a ton of squats and leg lifts, as well as worked my abs with a great video called Curl...am blanking on the trainer....oh yes, Kari Anderson. It's only 20 minutes but she gives a fantastic workout, and it's sequential, so no matter what level you are at, you can accommodate you abilities.

Have been having trouble with cardio, as my knee bursitis is kicking in, but tonight will try to get to the gym to use the elliptical machine. Am about half way through Peeke's book...like it very much. A non-nonsense, straight forward read.

Today did Upper Body, using exercises from the slow and heavy tape but adding chest, back and shoulders. Good workout.

Hope you all are having a great day.

Susan
Old 05-09-2006, 09:00 AM   #12  

I love to do upper body workouts - I like arm workouts.

Today is my cardio day which I really love to do. I have always preferred cardio workouts.

I am hoping to lose about 20 lbs. I'm going into my 4th. week and I've lost nearly 10 lbs. That's not bad for me. I just wish I could see it more. LOL
Cyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #13  

SUSAN - Love the CF slow bi/tri workout. I found another show called Supersets I want to record since it was on at some odd time. My cable search menu does not always show her show or else the title confused the poor machine. I think I will put Peeke's book on my Mother's Day list. Do you use heat on your knee bursitis?

CYL - congrats on the 10 lb loss and keeping at the program, overall you are getting healthier, and it does take a while to develop new healthy habits.

Allergies slowing me down but I haven't totally given up on today. May switch it out with a cardio day and see if I can breath through that, otherwise, picking something off the screen to do since I skipped the gym this am.

Lunch is brown rice, black beans and lean pork chop, love those leftovers.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #14  

Sugar - I don't have cable so never have watched Fit TV--isn't that what Cathe's on?....I have bought at least 10 of her videos over the years, and think they are terrific. Her exercises are always well presented and her manner is friendly and encouraging.

This morning I woke at an ungodly hour (2:30) and did my lower body workout....used a Beach Body DVD I had gotten as my base, adapting for my knee. Re your question...The bursitis came after I had a knee operation....the doctor thought it was arthritis but I finally convinced him it wasn't, and he figured out that it is something called goosefoot bursitis, an inflammation of the hamstrings where they wrap around in the front under the knee. I got a cortisone shot about 4 months ago, but it's recurring, and I am scheduled for another shot in two weeks. Not fun. At least this time I can walk...last time it was really painful all the time.

Got back to sleep after my workout but the interrupted sleep is making me really groggy now. At least I got my workout in for the day.

Art
Old 05-15-2006, 02:41 PM   #15  

Just checking in today. I'm starting to notice that I feel much more limber and look forward to aerobics and upper & lower body training. I'm in my 5th. week of BFL.
Cyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote